Author Topic: Old photos of and around Liverpool  (Read 833458 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Old photos of and around Liverpool
« Reply #3800 on: January 18, 2021, 05:58:08 pm »
King brick was a game we played when the houses were being knocked down.
Full 'ordinary common' bricks only were used, you chose your brick & took turns to whack your opponents brick laid on the floor. When a brick was less than 3/4 size it was out.
Winner went first..sometimes you'd get a King Brick which went strong to about 30, was great if you knew someone who needed any hardcore.
Not so good looking back at the carnage we dealt to good bricks..kids & their boredom eh.

I can honestly say I never played King Brick on the prime bomb sites off Mill Street. Maybe a Park Road thing or even a North End  :o game.

Offline Tsar Kastik

• Would welcome a premature one, apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
Plenty well, no pray; big bellyache, heap God

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3802 on: February 26, 2021, 02:03:31 pm »
Magnifico.   :wellin

About six minutes in, from high level, seeing the Overhead pass by. below at street level, with the Goree still intact, like some bustling metropolis. The pugs shunting dock freight, underneath the Ovee.  :)

I know none of us are really old enough to remember, but  the city must of had some bustle, in it's time.

Thanks for that.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #3803 on: February 26, 2021, 02:15:52 pm »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #3804 on: February 26, 2021, 03:52:21 pm »
I can honestly say I never played King Brick on the prime bomb sites off Mill Street. Maybe a Park Road thing or even a North End  :o game.
I don't remember this down the Dingle end of Park Rd. Maybe The92A has some input here?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3805 on: February 26, 2021, 04:18:06 pm »
Brilliant..

Castle St , Liverpool c1910

Looking at the soot blackened buildings brought to mind it is about 50 years since they cleaned the Liver Buildings (1970 or 1971). I used to walk past the streams of water as they were sand blasting on the way to catch the bus home from the Pier Head.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3806 on: February 26, 2021, 09:12:26 pm »
Looking at the soot blackened buildings brought to mind it is about 50 years since they cleaned the Liver Buildings (1970 or 1971). I used to walk past the streams of water as they were sand blasting on the way to catch the bus home from the Pier Head.

I could see the Liver Buildings from where I lived while growing up.

Think you're spot on with the dates - I remember being absolutely amazed at about 6 years of age, when I realized that the Liver Buildings weren't actually supposed to be black.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3807 on: February 26, 2021, 09:26:14 pm »
I could see the Liver Buildings from where I lived while growing up.

Think you're spot on with the dates - I remember being absolutely amazed at about 6 years of age, when I realized that the Liver Buildings weren't actually supposed to be black.

As a kid I vaguely remember smokeless fuel being delivered by one of the multitude of coal men that use to ply the streets. I also remember the clouds of stream and smoke at Lime Street.

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3808 on: February 26, 2021, 09:47:17 pm »
As a kid I vaguely remember smokeless fuel being delivered by one of the multitude of coal men that use to ply the streets. I also remember the clouds of stream and smoke at Lime Street.

I know mate. its mad to think that just 2 generations ago, my entire extended family lived in tenement flats, each with its own "coal hole" to store the fuel for the open fire, and the range that acted as cooker, water heater, drier of washing etc.

How the whole place never went up in flames is a complete mystery.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3809 on: February 26, 2021, 10:17:03 pm »
I know mate. its mad to think that just 2 generations ago, my entire extended family lived in tenement flats, each with its own "coal hole" to store the fuel for the open fire, and the range that acted as cooker, water heater, drier of washing etc.

How the whole place never went up in flames is a complete mystery.

The whole lighting the fire ritual, using the Echo to stop air circulation, kindling, petrol smelling staters bricks was a nightmare in winter when it was freezing and you wanted to put your socks on the fire guard to warm them up before going to school.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3810 on: March 5, 2021, 06:17:53 pm »
Ain't seen Shaw street like this before..thanks to Angies Twitter.

:o

Allerton Road on 2nd Feb 1963

1984..Location?

Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3811 on: March 5, 2021, 06:25:33 pm »
Location of the 5 lads looks around admiral street way

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3812 on: March 5, 2021, 06:27:58 pm »
Location of the 5 lads looks around admiral street way

All the lads in that picture will be about 50 odd by now. :o

Love the one of Shaw Street.  Lived there up until recently.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3813 on: March 5, 2021, 07:13:32 pm »
Same 5 lads, plus 1 other lad, from another view rummaging in a car boot.
Anyone recognise the big building?
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3814 on: March 6, 2021, 08:53:41 am »
Same 5 lads, plus 1 other lad, from another view rummaging in a car boot.
Anyone recognise the big building?

Its one of the two grain silos that were at Brunswick Dock

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3815 on: March 6, 2021, 09:48:36 am »

Nice one Rob  :thumbup

Didn't know we had 3 cathedrals  ;)
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3816 on: March 6, 2021, 10:12:50 am »
"..... we've got two to spare...."

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3817 on: March 6, 2021, 10:23:29 am »

Amazing image. That warehouse middle right looks like the Contemporary Urban Centre?

Heartbreaking to see all the beautiful buildings that have been flattened in that area. Go through on the 82 or 204 and it's barely recognizable.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3818 on: March 6, 2021, 11:27:43 am »
Courtesy of YO!

Another unseen one for me..
1890 May Day.

This will stir a few memories..

Construction for this was completed in 1857  :o

What a picture this is!
The Beatles, Brian Epstein, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas, Childwall Fiveways, Liverpool 1963.

Lister drive baths, a complete shithole these days..called in there last week to see if they had improved from when I last visited.
Stunk real bad of amonia/piss..never again.

A little bit of unknown history here..
"Annie Garvey - a maiden lady, aged about 100 years - who has lived on the Dock Estate for 80 years and in this hut since the burning of the Landing Stages in 1874 and on the Estate since any Landing Stage was built at all."

Then & Now..
Garston Dock Station.
Now the site of Garston Way Flyover.

Lastly the original Garston Station.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3819 on: March 6, 2021, 11:48:41 am »
City Pets ;D

Offline Tesco tearaway

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3820 on: March 6, 2021, 12:43:26 pm »
City Pets ;D
Used to love the smell of that place when you first walked in  :)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3821 on: March 6, 2021, 01:27:20 pm »
Amazing image. That warehouse middle right looks like the Contemporary Urban Centre?

Heartbreaking to see all the beautiful buildings that have been flattened in that area. Go through on the 82 or 204 and it's barely recognizable.

Taken from the Cathedral
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3822 on: March 6, 2021, 01:56:43 pm »

Hamsters, snakes, sawdust, fish food. / love it.
City Pets and Beatties in the precinct would keep us occupied for hours  ;D

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3823 on: March 6, 2021, 02:14:27 pm »
Hamsters, snakes, sawdust, fish food. / love it.
City Pets and Beatties in the precinct would keep us occupied for hours  ;D

You've just described my Saturdays when we were away ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #3824 on: March 6, 2021, 05:43:13 pm »
I spent loads of time in City Pets.  :)

I never bought anything, but would always go in just to have a look.  8)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3825 on: March 6, 2021, 05:46:48 pm »

Bought a few hamsters, cages and stuff when we were kids.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3826 on: March 6, 2021, 05:48:48 pm »

The history that has been bulldozed into the dust in this city is criminal.  :'(

I initially thought those grain silos might have been the old rice mill that's derelict but still standing. I looked it up on Google maps last night and realised it wasn't, and had no doubt been demolised.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3827 on: March 6, 2021, 05:50:51 pm »
Bought a few hamsters, cages and stuff when we were kids.
They seemed to have everything in there. I also recall them having Terrapins, most of which probably now have offspring in Sefton and Princes Park lakes.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3828 on: March 6, 2021, 05:54:47 pm »
The history that has been bulldozed into the dust in this city is criminal.  :'(

I initially thought those grain silos might have been the old rice mill that's derelict but still standing. I looked it up on Google maps last night and realised it wasn't, and had no doubt been demolised.

What's ironic is that all the new apartments going up are in a warehouse style, but when you see that picture you realise there was so much more to the area than just warehouses.  There was so much character to the area, with houses, pubs, that grand building in the foreground with the small, domed towers. All gone forever. :(

We bought our puppy Smudge from there back in 86.  He disappeared from our backyard in 1998.  Never saw him again. :'(

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3829 on: March 6, 2021, 06:15:41 pm »
What's ironic is that all the new apartments going up are in a warehouse style, but when you see that picture you realise there was so much more to the area than just warehouses.  There was so much character to the area, with houses, pubs, that grand building in the foreground with the small, domed towers. All gone forever. :(

We bought our puppy Smudge from there back in 86.  He disappeared from our backyard in 1998.  Never saw him again. :'(
So sorry to hear about Smudge.  :'(  That's heartbreaking.

Yep, so much character in that area, much of it lost forever now.  :-\

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3830 on: March 6, 2021, 06:16:06 pm »

They were demolished in 1983

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3831 on: March 6, 2021, 06:40:15 pm »
So sorry to hear about Smudge.  :'(  That's heartbreaking.

Yep, so much character in that area, much of it lost forever now.  :-\

It's one of the reasons I'll never have another pet again.  He never got the love he deserved, but I was devastated when we lost him.

Yeah, these days the area is largely low rise and waste ground car parks.  But they still dug up the grass and trees to build those new luxury pads going up on Parliament Street. :butt

Popcorn's Art

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3832 on: March 6, 2021, 07:58:40 pm »
It's not quite from the same angle or position, but I was able to use Googlemap 3D to replicate the image over towards the Contemporary Urban Centre.

Popcorn's Art

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3833 on: March 6, 2021, 07:59:33 pm »
The latest set of pics are magnificant guys, superb.

City Pets ;D
That gaff was fucking mad, the Aladdin's Cave of pets. The Wizards Den of all things furry and slimy.

It was chocka with everything :)

Overwhelming to say the least  :)

Offline Only Me

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3834 on: March 6, 2021, 11:35:51 pm »
P&I Sports mentioned earlier was owned by Phil Thompson and Ian Callaghan.

Ah and City Pets, boss place belonging in the same pantheon of great old shops such as Hobbies, Stan Catchpoles Model World, Jack Sharps, Philips Son and Nephew etc.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3835 on: March 7, 2021, 12:25:33 am »
P&I Sports mentioned earlier was owned by Phil Thompson and Ian Callaghan.

Ah and City Pets, boss place belonging in the same pantheon of great old shops such as Hobbies, Stan Catchpoles Model World, Jack Sharps, Philips Son and Nephew etc.
Peter Thompson I think mate.

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise
« Reply #3836 on: March 7, 2021, 08:09:10 am »
My uncle took that picture of the Beatles et al at the Fiveways. He had his photography shop there for many years and had an awesome catalog of photos of people. Sadly been gone 40 years now.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3837 on: March 7, 2021, 09:22:13 am »
^ wow what an image he created

A German documentary about the music scene and the city in the 60s (some great, Kes-like, footy action  @ 21:00m)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Q-vjTjAT7SY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Q-vjTjAT7SY</a>

Offline Medellin

• Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #3838 on: March 7, 2021, 09:56:12 am »
A few more...

1955..Punch & Judy  :D

1983 & 2013..

Off Sylvester st..name dem trabs?

Quality.. ;D
All he needs is a bifter..

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3839 on: March 7, 2021, 07:04:43 pm »
A few more...

1955..Punch & Judy  :D

When you see this image you realise just how much Lime Street station has changed. The platforms/gradient inside must have been raised considerably from ground level.  Even now, with no buildings in front of it, you're only seeing about half of the full height exposed.

Popcorn's Art