Author Topic: The Cyclist Thread  (Read 1833328 times)

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
Re: The Cyclist Thread
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2007, 05:49:25 pm »
I have a Schwinn mountain bike that cost me $200 2 years ago.  How much are they in England?

Offline Ben_JP

• Where is my file?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You've just got to let them know you exist
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2007, 10:31:10 pm »
I have a Schwinn mountain bike that cost me $200 2 years ago.  How much are they in England?

Found one site selling various models for between £160-400.

Here's a 2005 model for £180: Schwinn
Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

XBL: MisiuPysiu / PSN: PysiuMisiu
Gamestyle articles what I wrote.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #82 on: June 1, 2007, 01:47:09 am »
Found one site selling various models for between £160-400.

Here's a 2005 model for £180: Schwinn
Cheers!

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #83 on: June 1, 2007, 10:29:50 pm »
Looks like one of those fancy ones with the thin wheels

How much d'ya pay for that
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #84 on: June 1, 2007, 10:42:06 pm »
Pheeny, i hope you don't sway too much from side to side or is that just for Anderlecht away?
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Pheeny

« Reply #85 on: June 5, 2007, 04:19:36 pm »
Pheeny, i hope you don't sway too much from side to side or is that just for Anderlecht away?
was that not Home for me...

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 6, 2007, 11:18:56 am »
A bit off topic.

I actually knew a bloke who I played rugby with who got a drunken driving citation for leaving the bar and getting on his bike then moments later crashing it in front of some cops on foot patrol.
They'll have your licence for that in Germany.

My new wheels:
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline saph

• Magnificent seven lesbian
  • Legacy Fan
  • it could look like a liverbird after a few pints
« Reply #87 on: June 6, 2007, 11:34:36 am »
that is one crazy bike! why a recumbent?
sponsored by 2 NaCl + 2 H2O → Cl2 + H2 + 2 NaOH

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: June 6, 2007, 11:54:38 am »
that is one crazy bike! why a recumbent?
Already got two normal ones. I wanted a normal two-wheeler 'bent, but I couldn't ride them. I ended up with some old lady pushing me down the cycle path, and the second she let go, I careered off into the bushes.

I tried the trike and it's so much fun to ride. It's fast as hell, too, and very, very comfortable.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 7, 2007, 03:14:52 pm »
A mate just bought one of these. It's a good-looking bike and a bargain for 500 quid:

http://www.ghost-bikes.com/2007/bikes.php?typ=40345&kategory=road

Just been for a quick spin. Lovely bike weather today, and had the obligatory run-in with a Mercedes driver. Always a Mercedes...
« Last Edit: June 7, 2007, 03:18:28 pm by wacko »

Pheeny

« Reply #90 on: June 7, 2007, 05:31:05 pm »

Just been for a quick spin. Lovely bike weather today, and had the obligatory run-in with a Mercedes driver. Always a Mercedes...
strange you should say that , as I almost got knocked over twice today both times by somone driving a merc.

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 7, 2007, 07:55:36 pm »
mine today was a laguna - c*nt!

oh and i've found some hills. probabaly mini-blips to pheeny but hills to this flat-as-a-fucking-pancake south mancunian lass. not too bad a route actually. 10 mile roudn trip. perfect :)

Offline Jonathan Hall ☆☆☆☆☆☆

• The name's Hall... Jonathan Hall. aka DangerPaddy. Olores de cebollas. Carly Cole Stalker. Likes to drink at Bar Fanny.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tapas y Cerveza y vino tinto!
« Reply #92 on: June 7, 2007, 08:19:53 pm »

oh and i've found some hills. probabaly mini-blips to pheeny but hills to this flat-as-a-fucking-pancake south mancunian lass. not too bad a route actually. 10 mile roudn trip. perfect :)

When did you become a manc yer bleeding brummie...
Right which bastards eaten me Tapas?

http://hfdinfo.com/digital/

Pheeny

« Reply #93 on: June 7, 2007, 08:35:00 pm »

180k's this Sat with 14 hills a few of which are steep...at least I get a shirt if I finish though. :P

Offline Eric

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: June 7, 2007, 08:49:48 pm »
Chicago has some cool rides this weekend/summer.

Friday is the Critical Mass G8 protest ride (many cities are having this)

Saturday is the World Naked Ride (this as well)

July 14th is the LATE ride that goes from 1am until morning til 5am and serve breakfast.

And just a few weeks ago we had "Bike the Drive" where they shut down one of Chicago's main routes to cars and you can bike for 30+ miles.

If ever in Chicago check them out here:

http://www.biketraffic.org/

as well as the monthly Critical Mass every last Friday of the month.

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: June 7, 2007, 10:52:16 pm »
tempted by the naked ride. sounds fun.

btw pheen - is that a proper century you are doing then?

Pheeny

« Reply #96 on: June 7, 2007, 10:55:21 pm »
tempted by the naked ride. sounds fun.

btw pheen - is that a proper century you are doing then?
its 182k which is 113miles

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: June 7, 2007, 11:02:41 pm »
ah....im distance ride. you crazy man! doing a 2.4 mile swim before? ;)

good luck!

Pheeny

« Reply #98 on: June 7, 2007, 11:28:21 pm »
ah....im distance ride. you crazy man! doing a 2.4 mile swim before? ;)

good luck!
distance is not the problme its the hills and the speed.I'm doing it with lads that have be cycling for years and average 19/20 miles per hour on a hilly ride.Also one of the hills in famous here as its 22%

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: June 7, 2007, 11:48:14 pm »
ohmygod! that is fast. i managed 26.5 mph today - downhill :)

good luck!

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #100 on: June 8, 2007, 06:21:19 am »
First time on theis thread and happy to find some keen cyclists. I'm useless on this computer stuff but I'll try to attach what used to be my daily summer ride to and from work - the LB to Taylor Way portion (plus a bit more across the bridge and into Vancouver). The ride made work worthwhile. Here goes, already tried this attachment once without success.
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: June 8, 2007, 11:19:02 am »
HILLY!!!!

so what bikes do we all ride?

i've got a trek 7.2fx for scutting round in. with a specialized saddle and cancy crank bros pedals
also got a trek 1400 slr (second hand) with a different specialized saddle and egg beaters from crank brothers.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #102 on: June 8, 2007, 04:37:48 pm »
Through the winter or when I'm shopping, either my Rocky Mountain mountainbike, adapted to road now that I'm too old (or chicken) to go hairarseing up and down trails, or a 30 year old $190 beater (Apollo) rigged out with panniers. Used to give me a charge to catch posers in their billboard jerseys on the beater, but that hardly ever happens these days.

From May to October, as long as I'm just riding, a Basso Viper, beautiful bike, the one I always promised myself. Used to feel a bit self-conscious on it because it's wasted on a geezer like me, but nowadays with all the aerodynamic tubing and what have you it's looking very mainstream. In fact, when I blew a gear cable up in Squamish the year before last and pulled into a bike shop for repairs, the guy tried to sell me one of the skookum carbonfibre jobbies. I asked him what the hell I needed a new bike for, he said something like well this one's a good old classic, but ................. It's only ten years old for crissake, not even 50K on it.

My only issue is I'm on a double chainwheel and my lowest gear's a 25 through 39. Fine for 99.9% of what I do, particularly late season when I'm riding fit, but there are some bitch hills round here and when I'm knackered at the end of a long ride I wouldn't mind swallowing my pride and dropping down to an armchair gear. We have a climb north of Whistler that's virtually identical in profile to Alp d'Huez and I don't fancy that on my present gearing. Be doing the paperboy weave all the way up.

Nice thing about the clunker is you can leave it anywhere with a light cable on it and a sign saying "steal me!"
"Ders fuck'n arms goin in, ders fuck'n legs goin in, ders de 'ole fuck'n yuman fuck'n body goin in."  - expression of admiration from kopite behind me, Leeds v. L'pool, late '60s.

Pheeny

« Reply #103 on: June 8, 2007, 07:50:52 pm »
Just got my Zannata Cross back from the bike shop.Just had a new front Derailleur fitted also the cables have been changed or checked.

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: June 8, 2007, 11:47:51 pm »
howes: maybe go for a compact crank? i'm saving up for one on my road bike.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #105 on: June 9, 2007, 01:00:39 am »
howes: maybe go for a compact crank?

Wouldn't it be the other way round, for more leverage on the climbs? Mine are 170 which, if anything, is a bit short.

Anyway, my biggest issue is my seat. They say as you get older you lose some of nature's padding on your crotch. 30K into any ride I'm starting to get uncomfortable and for anything over 60 I'm happy to stand whenever I get the chance. I was looking at your seat, Saph, looks very hi-tech. But I've come to the conclusion seats are like backpacks: they're all uncomfortable after a while.

22% Pheeny???!!! I've used ice axes on things less steep. How long is it?

The steepest hill I can recall in the UK off the top of my head is the short climb up to Harlech Castle. Can't recall what it measured.

Is the Wirral circuit still popular? Used to love that ride.

Offline saph

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: June 9, 2007, 11:10:27 am »
sorry howes: i think i've used a blooody us term (that's what you gte for posting on an american forum!)

a compact crank is the front crank/chain set - they are done slightly differently to give you more hill climbing help.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: June 9, 2007, 04:54:46 pm »
Wouldn't it be the other way round, for more leverage on the climbs? Mine are 170 which, if anything, is a bit short.

Anyway, my biggest issue is my seat. They say as you get older you lose some of nature's padding on your crotch. 30K into any ride I'm starting to get uncomfortable and for anything over 60 I'm happy to stand whenever I get the chance. I was looking at your seat, Saph, looks very hi-tech. But I've come to the conclusion seats are like backpacks: they're all uncomfortable after a while.

22% Pheeny???!!! I've used ice axes on things less steep. How long is it?

The steepest hill I can recall in the UK off the top of my head is the short climb up to Harlech Castle. Can't recall what it measured.

Is the Wirral circuit still popular? Used to love that ride.
A compact crankset is one with two chainwheels, but the little one is a 36/34, so much closer to the granny ring on a triple. I've got one on my tourer/commuter but I find the jump between rings a bit big, so I have to change at the back at the same time.

I think there's a 33% climb in Wales somewhere.

I posted a pic of my trike already. Here are my other bikes. The tourer is a Stevens Strada something-or-other with Shimano (boooooooooo!) 105. I retro-fitted a Schmidt hub dynamo and a deadly-bright inoled LED front light (joggers shield their eyes on the bike path at night) and an Airzound 110dB airhorn for divvy German drivers. I wholeheartedly recommend the airhorn to all cyclists: it works better than kicking cars because drivers think there's a huge truck coming. Useless for pedestrians on cycle paths, though: if you're more than 15ft away, they think it's coming from the road and ignore it, if you're closer, they do the "funky pedestrian" and there's no telling which way they'll jump.

The racer I built myself to my own spec. Campag (yaaaaaaaaaay!) Veloce throughout except a Centaur chainset, and Scirocco wheels. The frame is old-school Columbus steel and weighs a ton, but it's sooooooo much more comfortable than aluminium and handles like a dream. I take pride in the fact that there's not one single Shimano part on the bike.

Both bikes have dual mode SPD/standard platform pedals so I can ride the racer in my trainers, too, and, of course, Brooks saddles.

Unfortunately, neither frame was available in red (I asked).

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: June 9, 2007, 05:05:32 pm »
strange you should say that , as I almost got knocked over twice today both times by somone driving a merc.
In Germany, it's practically ALWAYS a Merc. They joke that Mercs come with built-in right-of-way, and they're certainly driven that way. I think every self-important arse in Germany aspires to own a Merc. Either that, or being behind the wheel of one turns any German into one.

The worst thing about Germans (who drive very aggressively) is that they'll nearly mow you down on a cycle path, and their first response is generally to immediately beep their horn and have a go at you. I can handle folk who look sheepish and apologise profusely, but these shits make my blood boil.

I screamed at one woman who did that, but she just drove off, so I yelled "c*nt" (in German) after her. She stopped immediately and got out of the car: "what did you say?"

"I said you're a c*nt, and you can't drive."

She followed me to the next junction, jumped out of the car again and started shouting at me. I just pointed at her car, which was rolling backwards because she hadn't put the handbrake on, and said, "See? I told you you can't fucking drive."

She then followed me down a dead-end street, where I paused briefly in the alleyway at the end to wave bye and buzz off her a bit more.

Offline howes hound

• Legacy Fan
  • underdearm
« Reply #109 on: June 9, 2007, 06:30:50 pm »
A compact crankset is one with two chainwheels, but the little one is a 36/34, so much closer to the granny ring on a triple.

Now I'm with you.

I've got a 36 on the clunker, which through a 28 gives me everything I need even when I've got four bottles of plonk and a six-pack in the pannier. But as you say it means I'm always switching chainwheels, especially as the clunker's a ten-speed.

Love the look of your Strada. That's exactly what I need to be able to retire the clunker and take on a couple of the multi-day rides I've got in mind. What does a bike like that cost these days?

What's c*nt in German? I have to go to the wedding of the son of a German family at the end of this month and the word might come in handy before the night's through. They're actually very nice people, but they have quite a few guests coming over from the old country and since no race fulfills its stereotype quite like the Germans, I'm anticipating at least a smattering of cuntish behaviour at some point over dinner.

Arsehole drivers are identifiable more by their licence plate than the car they drive over here, although BMWs seem to house more than their share of pricks. A disproportionate number of jerks carry Washington State plates. Had a full slurpy thrown at me from a Washington car last year. Americans seem to be one extreme or the other - the friendliest, most considerate folks or unmitigated morons.

Pheeny

« Reply #110 on: June 9, 2007, 06:52:34 pm »
well that was an experience.184.2 KM in7hrs 5mins @ 26kph 15 hills and pissing it down with lightning.Top speed of 55 kph downhill and 45kph on a flat stretch along the canal.Legs are a bit stiff at the moment but not as bad as I thought they'd be.

Offline sameold

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #111 on: June 9, 2007, 09:11:31 pm »
Just picked up a Specialized sirrus comp yesterday. Haven't had a chance to go out on it tho.
« Last Edit: June 9, 2007, 09:13:20 pm by sameold »

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: June 10, 2007, 11:07:25 am »
What's c*nt in German?
c*nt = Fotze, but you can only say it to women, and it's really not recommended.
Fick dich ins Knie = fuck you (literally fuck you in the knee)
and Flachwichser = limp-dick wanker
since no race fulfills its stereotype quite like the Germans, I'm anticipating at least a smattering of cuntish behaviour at some point over dinner.
:lmao
By that, I guess you mean being very rude.

Then you could say: Benimm dich. Du bist nicht mehr in Deutschland. (Behave. You're not in Germany any more.)
well that was an experience.184.2 KM in7hrs 5mins @ 26kph 15 hills and pissing it down with lightning.Top speed of 55 kph downhill and 45kph on a flat stretch along the canal.Legs are a bit stiff at the moment but not as bad as I thought they'd be.
That's a good old speed.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: July 17, 2007, 08:30:59 pm »
Just thrown an old Specialized trailer off a few rocks this afternoon, first time in years I've done any kind of off-road stuff, great fun. Highest straight drop was probably only about 3ft, but when you've not done it for about 10 years that's quite enough for one day, thanks!
I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline kumbriankopite

• Kopite
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2007, 04:35:04 pm »
Been riding for a month now, thanks to the kind people of RAWK's help i ended up getting a 2007 Kona Firemountain.

100mm of travel in the fork, 24 gears in total, strong discs, i love it. The pedals could be better, but thats something that's cheap to replace, but besides that i'm really pleased with it.
Paid £360 for it marked down from £400, which i didn't think was that bad. Maybe could have got better gear for my money, but i'm a bit of a brand whore.

Only been doing short 10 - 15 k runs on it, working my way up. But it may be a while before im doing the type of distances Pheeny's used to.

All in all love it, and many thanks again to everyone who helped me look for a bike a month ago, cheers :wave

Offline Kelvin_Little

• Kopite
  • Number 1's, A Carragher............
« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2007, 05:44:22 pm »
I've just returned from 10 months in Australia working - I was based in Melbourne and my buddy out there is into his riding....He is primarilly a mountain rider, so I gave it a go a few times and decided that I liked it and wanted to ride...

The terrain was a mix of cross country, flowy hills, down hill, and then one weekend fucking dumb down hill at a place called mount buller which is a ski resort in the winter....

I loved it... I bought a Giant Reign 1 '07 Model, it's a beast - 6 inches of travel in the rear, heaps in the front, Juicy 7 brakes, its just fucking gorgeous!! and paid about £900 for the bike + specialised clip in's and a helmet.... just got home to see the same bike going for anywhere between £1300 and £1900!!  Fucking insane price difference....

Anyhow, my buddy bought a road bike and suggested i give it a go, which i did and fucking loved it.... for those that have been to melbourne, beach road on a sat and sunday morning is like the tour de france, it was just great, riding in big 20 man packs and seeing some amazing scenary (i did fall out of my clip in's on one occasion though which was embarrasing.... i only bought a diamondback road bike, but i kept it and road it most weekends and sold it for exactly what i paid for it when i left....

I'm now back in the UK and I'm wanting to keep riding, but im not sure what to do and how to get into it?  I'm going to be moving to London in the next month or so, does anyone know any riding clubs moutain or road around there?  Are there any off road circuits in London?

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2007, 11:17:27 pm »
Not long since did the Roman Route (site in German only) with 15 occassional cyclists. What an effing disaster.

It's 240km in all, and we spent 3 days riding it. It took 12 hours' cycling each day to manage 80km :(

Half the group turned up on bikes with cranks or wheelnuts falling off, and I seemed to spend most of the time arguing about the route with eejits who always seemed to want to ride in the opposite direction to the way the signs and my GPS indicated, despite not having the faintest idea where they were. And nearly all of them decided jeans were the best thing to wear for a cycle tour. Because they're made of cotton or something.

My PDA GPS is, frankly, next to useless for cycling, so I bought a Garmin Vista Hcx

It's a brilliant bit of kit. I'd have to describe it as a real, professional device, while PDA/mobile phone navigation systems are toys. You can plot out your route on a computer first and it records where you ride, so if you ride a new route with mates, it'll remember the way for you, and you can upload/download routes to the Internet.

http://gpsies.com seems to be a really cool site.

Anyone else got a GPS on their bike? Any good tips or links?

Here are a couple of pics from the Roman Route:

Pheeny

« Reply #117 on: August 28, 2007, 09:17:21 am »
Been thinking of getting a Garmin for a while.Got a Timex T5C391 Speed & Distance not bad but not as good as a Garmin.Last week I did 100k on the Sunday and with going too work on the bike the weeks total was around 280k.

Offline M(oaning) B(ecomes) E(mbarrassing)

• Worthless.
  • RAWK Embarrassment
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thoroughly thought through
« Reply #118 on: August 28, 2007, 09:47:24 am »
Got a Garmin Edge 305 and I have to say it's been fantastic.  It records speeds, climbs, HR, cadence, all sorts.  When you get home, you can check what your pulse was doing on the major climbs, descents etc.  I love it and it's been a real training boom.  My top speed ever is 72 MPH and you don't have to take your eye off the road for one second to see how fast you're going, just connect it to your computer when you get home!  Only problem is, my beautiful beautiful bike is broken!  Tragedy beyond compare!  I've just spent a thoroughly miserable sunny weekend without my pride and joy while it's in the shop being repaired (boo hoo, sob sob).  Had to make do with my clumpy old mountain bike on which I crashed and almost broke my patella!
It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it.

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: August 28, 2007, 10:44:27 pm »
Got a Garmin Edge 305 and I have to say it's been fantastic.  It records speeds, climbs, HR, cadence, all sorts. 
I had a brief look at them in the shop, but the guy told me that they run on a built-in rechargeable battery that runs out after a couple of hours. I often ride for 8-12 hours--or even a few days--so I wrote them off as a bit silly. Still, I guess they're great for training. How longs does the battery last?

How's the GPS reception? I know a lot of devices lose reception under trees, though I must say my Vista Hcx (the H indicates the new, much more sensitive receiver) has astounded me--it can get a signal in my flat a few yards from the window.

Need to get my bike looked at, too. There's a funny crunching/clicking in the right pedal. I hope it's just the pedal, but I snapped the BB axle on that bike on my way to watch the Charity Shield last season, and I'm worried it might be going again.
Been thinking of getting a Garmin for a while.Got a Timex T5C391 Speed & Distance not bad but not as good as a Garmin.Last week I did 100k on the Sunday and with going too work on the bike the weeks total was around 280k.
So far, I've been very impressed with it. Never really used it in anger, though, just spent most of the time staring at maps of places I know like the back of my hand. I used the software to plot out a couple of tracks in places I don't know, so I'll see how they turn out on Thursday when I have time to do a decent ride. I'm quite excited, because I've plotted out a course to Düsseldorf 40-ish km away primarily on access roads to houses in the forest where you NEVER see any cars, and another one up and down the biggest of what passes for hills round here. I'll be riding with Jens, though, who really doesn't like the hills, and I've got into the nasty habit of waiting for him halfway up the hill, lighting a ciggie, and then dropping him again while smoking. I tell you, that really pisses off the local couriers, too. A bloke in proper shoes, trousers and a smartish shirt going past with a fag hanging out of his mouth.

I normally try to get in 300km/week or so, but I haven't really got into it this summer with the crap weather. Since I bought the iPod, I've taken the bus to work a lot so I can listen to podcasts and stuff, so my weekly work mileage has dropped from an average of 20+ km/day to not much more than that a week :(