Author Topic: Pepe Reina and the Liverpool tradition  (Read 17653 times)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Pepe Reina and the Liverpool tradition
« on: April 10, 2009, 07:49:10 pm »
Who’d be a goalie? Alone amongst footballers they are defined by their mistakes. And, by cruel irony, this seems especially true of those who make the fewest. Hence, Peter Shilton will forever be the bloke who dived over a weak Polish shot and got Alf Ramsay the sack. David Seaman will always be the chump who was ‘beaten by Nayim from the half way line’. And even the greatest name of them all - Ray Clemence’s - still causes mirth in Scotland because he once let an extraordinarily duff shot from King Kenny trickle between his legs in a Home International match (‘Clemence opens his legs wider than the Forth Bridge’ ran one Scottish banner the next time the two nations met). Perhaps the only other trade in the world which operates according to this unfair principle is air-traffic control, where years of impeccable service can be ruined and forgotten by a single moment of madness.

Pepe Reina had his moment of madness in the worst possible arena - at Goodison Park.  This, I suppose, was like an ATC electing to fuck up at the Farnborough Air Show. Only a masochist would want to replay the thing on video, but I’m sure we can all still see him, jumping like a pregnant girl and flapping like her granny as he and Andrew Johnston contrive to score one of the most slapstick goals ever seen in that hallowed fixture.  To the insular English football world that cock-up seemed to confirm what it thought it already knew: when the crunch comes ‘Latin’ goalies will always let you down with a stunning act of high buffoonery. Sure, foreign goalies had long become acceptable in the domestic game because of the success of Schmeichel and Jaaskelainan, but Reina lacked the Nordic gene and consequently whole regiments of knee-jerking football pundits reached for the Latin stereotype to explain blunders like the one at Goodison.   

Liverpool supporters, on the other hand, knew that it was a blip. There was a question mark about how Reina might recover from such a howler – as there always is when goalies make catastrophic errors in big games. But no one who’d watched the lad regularly could be in any doubt about his fundamental excellence. We’d already seen enough of him to know not only that he was a shrewd and agile keeper but that he was probably on the cutting edge of his profession – a genuine innovator who was in the process of redefining what modern goalkeepers are meant to do. That innovation is as much about Reina being an ‘attacking’ player as it is about his method of shot-stopping and I want to say a few words about that in a sec. But, first off, I would start with the essential feeling you get with all great keepers - which is a gut feeling. Most of us have that gut feeling about Pepe. We get it at the start of a game when he trots towards the Kop shaking the torpor from his limbs and begins marking out his territory. It’s one of assuredness. “It’s going to be ok today”, we tell ourselves. “It’s going to be ok. Pepe’s in our goal”. Much as I once revered Bruce Grobbelaar I haven’t really had that feeling since Clem was between the sticks. And it makes Reina possibly the most important player in the team, pretty much as Clemence was the key member of Shanks’s second great team of the 1970s.

The Liverpool Tradition
He has a lot to live up to of course. No English club has such a dignified tradition of keeping as we do. Those who remember seeing Sam Hardy and Elisha Scott are now gone but their names live on at Anfield, woven as they are into both our practical achievements (3 league titles between them) and our folklore . The best football story I know is the one where Dixie Dean nods a greeting to Elisha as they pass in a Liverpool street only to see our goalie dive instinctively to the ground and turn the nodded hello neatly round an imaginary post. Everton foiled again!

I never saw our next great keeper, Tommy Lawrence, and as a child only remember him from acrobatic pictures inside ‘Football Monthly’ and the ‘Topical Times’ annual football book. But there are those who say he was the best of the lot and you have to respect that. Clem and Grob, though, I did see. I grew up with them and went to many of the same games that they did. In their different ways they epitomised what Liverpool goalkeeping is about and I think Pepe Reina has a bit of both of them in his make-up.

Clem, I believe, was the greatest goalkeeper of all time. We Kopites remember not the strange Hampden mistake but things like the sequence of flying finger-tip saves he made against Ipswich at Portman road and Man City at Maine Road. We remember him nicking the ball off Allan Clarke when the Elland Road man had broken through our back line and was about to tilt the ’73 title race in Leeds’s favour. Above all, of course, we remember him robbing Allan Simonsen in Rome in ’77 with a piece of goalkeeping that was (characteristically) brave and skilful. When you’re breaking at speed as Simonsen was doing after he unexpectedly nabbed the ball off Case, and when you have the element of surprise on your side, the last thing you expect is for someone to be coming the other way at an even greater pace and an ever greater state of readiness. That was Clem all over. Speed off his line and an ability to force his decision on a striker rather than the other way round. We’d have lost that match if Simonsen had scored then and there’d still be four stars on our flags, not five. I was on the Kop when Clemence came back with Spurs and got that marvellous ovation. I can tell you now, even after all these years, that when the Kop’s thunder broke around me I was thinking of Ray beating out that Simonsen shot.

Even when Clemence was beaten there was usually something to admire in his effort to keep the shot out. Filler recently mentioned on RAWK the Justin Fashanu goal at Carrow Road which he says made him want to be a keeper. An odd conclusion to draw from the goal of season you might think. But check it out on youtube. He’s right. After all these years the most awesome thing about the goal is Clemence’s interstellar flight that almost keeps it out. The same thing happened with the Charlie George goal at Wembley in ’71 and the Bathenay equaliser for St Etienne. Each goal was given a surcharge of grace through Clem’s astonishing leap. Stuart Hall once described Clemence on the radio as “twisting himself into a human corkscrew” to turn away a shot headed for the top corner. Most of the time Hall talked in metaphors, but on that occasion he was describing the simple truth. That’s what Clem was like. So that the Scottish banner mocking his open legs meant nothing really.  There was a better one at the ‘74 Cup Final: ‘Jesus Saves, but He’s not as Reliable as Clemence is He?’. I’d say that was definitely true. Even a devout group of Christians would if they were really honest with themselves.

Brucie’s style of goalkeeping was different. He always made it difficult for Kopites to fully relax and assume a normal breathing pattern. There was a quality that made you feel the art of goalkeeping had been revealed to him by some Old Testament-type prophet. A fork of lightning across an epic African sky, a thunderous voice filling the sub-Saharan scrub and this slightly unhinged Zimbabwean had suddenly acquired the divine art of keeping balls out of goals.  “You must go to Liverpool, Bruce, and take the place of God’s favourite custodian Ray Clemence” says the voice and lo! there he ends up (after a short loan period had been meticulously arranged by the OT prophet at Gresty Road).

There were some catastrophic moments in the first few error-strewn months of Bruce’s tenure at Anfield (Man City at home on Boxing Day, right? Those who were there that day still carry a bit of shell-shock I think). But there were also scattered clues that goalkeeping was about to be revolutionised – that behind the astonishing Olga Korbut-like elasticity and Rommel-like audacity ticked a shrewd brain that was capable of calculating risk. And that, the supreme calculation of risk (or when to come and when to stay) is what marks great goalies off from merely very good ones. Grobbelaar’s calculations were right, most of the time. And they had to be for his career to survive in such a high-performance unit as Liverpool’s. In the team of perfectionists that Bob Paisley built in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s there would have been no room for a goalkeeper who was merely theatrical and spectacular. Grobbelaar was unorthodox but he wasn’t a foolhardy risk-taker. The same is true now of Reina whose style of goalkeeping is more reminiscent of Grobbelaar than Clemence I think.     

The Reina Revolution
His first great offence against conventional English football wisdom was that he liked to punch balls as well as catch them. I shared the scepticism about punching-goalies but after a few games of watching Reina became a convert. Partly it was a question of his wonderful timing. The Reina fist rarely seems to slide off the ball. It goes right through it - and as a result the punched ball can travel 20-30 yards very quickly. If it falls to an opposition player they are consequently too far out to make instant use of it. If it falls to a Liverpool player it can become the spark that produces a swift counter-attack. But Reina’s ability to punch cleanly means he also reaches crosses that most other goalies avoid. In other words the punch, if properly done, works on both offensive and defensive grounds - added to which there is probably a subtle deterrent effect at work. If you’re a centre forward going for a cross and you know that a flying fist is coming your way you might not attack the ball with as much faith or enthusiasm as you would if the main thing you had to worry about was two perpendicular arms. Reina caught rather than punched a Chelsea cross that ended with a John Terry booking on Wednesday night. There was a part of me – and surely a part of him – that wished he’d punched through the ball with his normal power and caught the lachrymose Chelsea skipper on the nose with his follow through. It would have been nice to have seen Terry spilling blood - and not just his usual tears - on to the Anfield sod. 

Like everything else with Reina you get the feeling that he must have thought through his options. For too long at Liverpool we had been used to keepers who had neither the intelligence to innovate nor the coaching staff to encourage them. The consequence was David James, a promising talent who allowed himself (and was allowed by the club) to vegetate. He literally did this, by his own admission, when he started to spend 23 hours a day on play-station. But aside from that bizarre episode it was plain for all to see that a cloak of amateurism was forever going to be draped around James’s shoulders. When I think of James now I think of a man grinning at his own mistakes. How were we meant to take him seriously when his first reaction to a mistake was to cackle at himself?

Reina’s not like that. He is the consummate professional and like all true professionals he is constantly in a state of learning. The most obvious and gratifying result of this scholarship is his penalty-saving. Not only does Reina always seem to go the right way. He saves the fuckers. I don’t know whether this is because he’s studied the penalty-taking habits of his opponents or because he’s worked out from the distribution of a kicker’s bodyweight the most likely direction of a shot. Probably it’s both. But the fabulous result is certainly the product of a man who thinks deeply about the game (and, incidentally, gives the lie to that typically English amateurism which insists that there’s no point practising penalties).   

I’m not on top of goalkeeping tactics – but I get the feeling when watching Pepe Reina that we’re seeing cutting-edge goalkeeping. It isn’t just the punching. It’s his extraordinary pace around the box. We live in a different era to Clem’s when the first move of the goalie who had seized the ball was to calm everyone down and to take a breath or six. Pepe’s first reaction to getting hold of the ball is the opposite. To take a breather is the worst thing he could do. Like Danny Agger, our other great attacking defender, Reina’s priority is to inject pace into the game when he has the ball. The first move is, invariably, a rapid run to the edge of the box. The second is a quick release and an accurate pass of high velocity (whether thrown or kicked). You can see what he’s thinking. The run alone usually takes Reina past three or four opponents, so for him it’s the equivalent of a mazy dribble, providing he can release the ball at the end of it. The release itself is a thing of beauty because Reina, being committed to speed of delivery, only believes in a flat parabola. Hence the superb kicking technique that sees the foot making contact with the ball almost at shoulder height (instead of the usual shin height). Torres, of course, thrives on this stuff.

The man’s a winner
Which is why we will win the league with him between the sticks. Big characters with skill, like Reina, always end up in winning teams. On Wednesday night he was probably the least demoralised Red on the pitch and it was a really important thing he did when he joined the attack for our last corner. It was a sign that this thing isn’t over and we will be a going concern in the second leg. 

Anyone who has seen Reina celebrate a Liverpool goal knows how important winning is to him. Anyone who has seen the footage of him celebrating with his Spanish teammates after their Euro victory knows that he’s the ultimate team player. I can’t wait to see his reaction when we lift number 19, which we surely will with him in our team.

(inspired by a conversation in Clerkenwell, London with RAWK's Raul)

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online Koplass

• As anti-social as you could want
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Pepe Reina and the Liverpool tradition
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 08:13:46 pm »
Really enjoyed reading that, the best thing about Pepe for me is the impact he has on our play as a whole. He's second only to Xabi Alonso in that way, Reina dictates our shape whilst Alonso dictates our tempo.

I think he's the best keeper in the league, but he wont get the recognition he deserves because he doesn't make the kind of spectacular saves someone like Given or Cech does.

You make a good point when you say; "And, by cruel irony, this seems especially true of those who make the fewest." Pepe has made one genuine mistake in his three years here, but still gets labelled a liability by the press and other fans. Amazing.
"If ever a club reflected what made football the biggest sport in the country, it was Liverpool with its ground set in the bosom of the labouring working class being led by a man-of-the-people idealist in Bill Shankly."

Offline nick_8589

• Kopite
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 08:15:50 pm »
Completly agree, I think that presence of him alone helps our defence, I think in all the time he's been here theres only a hand-full of bad games he's had, and how many golden gloves has he won, basically FUCK Van Der Sar flapping pansey.

Offline JonnyCigarettes®

• Airfix salesman (rumoured to be training a secret wankfest monkey arsegravy army)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty fly for a white guy
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 08:17:09 pm »

Very good, but you probably shouldn't associate with RAWK's Raul.
Johnny Sack: 200 grand for insulting my wife. What's next, Carmine, he gets to fuck her for a million?

Carmine: He wants to fuck her?

Johnny Sack: I'm making a point.

Offline Fine Shagger, Danny Agger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 08:29:10 pm »
Great, insightful post. I'm not always a fan of Pepe's punching, but I like your take on it. I think he gets caught with some of the decision he makes sometimes to go out of the box, but I'd rather he take risks than not because our defence can almost always mitigate the consequences anyway. If he just gave us the minimum of what a keeper is, we'd be one less person contributing to our attacking options.
If you can see Martin Skrtel, he can see you.  If you can't see Martin Skrtel, you may be moments away from certain death.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 08:31:47 pm »
Very good, but you probably shouldn't associate with RAWK's Raul.

Is the best piece of advise that could ever be given.

Ever.

Offline L Redwing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2009, 08:36:07 pm »
It's a testament to Pepe that I feel confident even when he is faced with a one-on-one. Even if the opposition has slipped a ball through for a striker, Pepe is so quick to sweep up and snick the ball away, that I'm surprised if the striker manages to get a shot off and even more surprised if he scores.

The other thing that I really respect about him is his character. He is unfortunate to play for Spain and be stuck behind Iker, but he doesn't appear to let that get him down. I'm sure he'd love to be starting, but his commitment to and enthusiasm for the national team is passionate and unquestionable. I would imagine not many second keepers have as big of a role for their national side.

Offline Benneh

• Proud owner of a 'Chester' Hat
  • Kopite
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 08:40:23 pm »
I love him, just think he's amazing. From his penalty saves, to his abillity in one on one's, to his hilarious off the pitch attitude ot his brilliant long precise balls forward to Torres and his fantastic celebrations when we score.

Easily the best keeper in the league, and in my opinion in the process of becoming the best in the world. Some dickheads will still get all excited over Cech and Van der Sar, but we know Pepe has already surpassed them.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 08:52:36 pm by Benneh »

Offline dgoh

• Kopite
  • Son. Brother. Student. RAWKite
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 08:47:31 pm »
We are really lucky to have him as our keeper, in fact i wouldn't think of swapping him for any other keeper in the world, and to think that awhile ago people were saying that they don't feel safe with pepe in goal.

Great goalkeeper, great team player.

Offline It's Jimmy Corkhill

• No more scrapping in Page Moss. Marxist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hasta La Victoria Siempre....
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 08:48:20 pm »
Boss celebration's as well
"I'm a people man. Only the people matter".
-Bill Shankly.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2009, 08:51:10 pm »
Great read there- enjoyed it a lot.

He's the best keeper Liverpool have had in my memory I think. Has saved us many times but his attacking contribution will be the thing I remember most about him because it's so revolutionary. I just love the way he looks to spread the play as soon as he gets the ball.

The great thing for us is that he's very young for a keeper as well. He's got a lot of years at the top as well hopefully and in that time he'll hopefully win a lot of trophies with us.

“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline ArgImAPirate

• Legacy Fan
  • rat a tat tat
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2009, 09:07:24 pm »
Good read. Pepe's a fantastic keeper, and in my eyes he's clearly the best in the league - it baffles me when people suggest otherwise. He fills his defense with confidence, he's come up with big saves time and time again and the way he can send the ball quickly up the pitch to start devastating attacks make him without a doubt one of the best keepers we've ever had - if not the best.

I hope we have him for the rest of his career!

Offline Crackerjack Sam

• Legacy Fan
  • Egyptian Magician
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2009, 09:18:44 pm »
Great thread mate. Pepe's already a legend in my book.
PSN ID - hajme1   
Sticking to RAWK I am.  Real forum, real mods, real fans, fair and unbiased opinions etc..etc.. 8)

Offline MattLFC08

• Forgetful nose poker-inner - Who Must Try Harder!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 96 Never Forgotten.
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2009, 09:19:27 pm »
Front page please, fantastic.  :wave
"As I come here to Liverpool and to Anfield I have drummed it into our players time and again, they are PRIVILEGED to play for you and if you did not believe me! Do You Believe Me Now?"

Bill Shankly (2 September 1913 – 29 September 1981)

Offline redpride9

• Legacy Fan
  • Sonic Booom !!
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 09:23:52 pm »
Best keeper in the world for me.
We won it 5 times........

Offline Kyo

• Main Stander
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2009, 09:47:08 pm »
Just like Tomkins wrote a couple of weeks ago, can't get a better keeper for the price we paid. Worth every penny.

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2009, 10:02:28 pm »
Just like Tomkins wrote a couple of weeks ago, can't get a better keeper for the price we paid. Worth every penny.

I don't think we could have hoped for a better keeper if we'd paid 3 times that. wouldn't swap him for any keeper in the world.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

royhendo

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 10:23:06 pm »
Brilliant. Honestly - you're some writer Yorkyboy.

Anyway - Pepe - you could play him in Xabi's position and he'd probably be the second most effective man in that role, cos he's a footballer (at least for a short while - as Paco De Miguel says, he's not got the endurance build - he's an elastic, explosive unit).

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=229289.0

I’m personally very impressed by Pepe Reina’s physique.

Pepe Reina has fabulous genetics.  Also, he’s a lover of strength training but particularly of the lower extremities.  He enjoys it very much because he is a believer in that kind of work and he feels more comfortable when he does it.  But the truth is that even when he’s not exercising his upper body, he can maintain his tone and evidently, that comes from genetics.  Quite frankly, his biotype is probably closer to a Caucasian or African footballer.

Paco's very impressed with Pepe's lower extremities Mr Gimlet.

Anyway, does anyone else love watching the drills they run before the games? His skill level is phenomenal. And when he's doing his kicking drills, how often does he ping a few on the head of some unsuspecting sub who's not looking?

The ultimate team man - always making them smile and laugh, and always firing them up when they need it. Shame he's so shy though. ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_i0CAGOkhdg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_i0CAGOkhdg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 10:30:00 pm by royhendo »

Offline lfcss

• dull
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 10:28:25 pm »
I remember him clattering into a player (Riise I think) when going for a cross because he only had eyes for the ball and I loved the idea that it didn't matter who was in the way he was going to get the ball and you either got out of his way or you were going to be second best. cant think theres a 'keeper with more assists than Pepe which is a huge advantage for us that he thinks so quickly.He's an excellent shot stopper but he does it from cold he may only have one or two in a game but he's alert and ready Given gets all the plaudits but he has a damn sight more to do so consequently he's always 'warmed up'.One of the keys of a good keeper is one who has nothing to do for 99% of the game but in the 1% time he's called upon he's alert ready and effective.
 Love watching him charge down the pitch to join in a goal celebration a fully paid up member of the team not just the guy at the back who do sent join in.
  For me he's the best goalkeeper I've seen for Liverpool,I was only a kid when Clem was in goal so dont really remember him that well.
If there's a Mrs Skrtel she probably has to wear shinpads to bed.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2009, 10:40:18 pm »
Brilliant read, yorky :)

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2009, 10:47:11 pm »
Second only to Clemence for me in the time I've been watching the Reds. Can only get better as well.

Offline OLDIE

• WORLDIE
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2009, 10:49:00 pm »
That was a tremendous read and well balanced. Whilst I can see what you mean by saying Pepe is closely allied in style to Brucie, I have to disagree with you.

Pepe has taken the art of goalkeeping to a new level, In 20 years young fans will compare the keeper of the time with Pepe,  just as we do with Clem and the flying pig. That IMO sets Pepe apart from Brucie.

Pepe is only second behind Clem as the greatest keeper seen by modern day fans, I only wish we could have had film of Elisha Scott, Alas he is a legend in name only and not in memory as the other legendary keepers enjoy.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2009, 11:16:35 pm »
cracking read. if I was to say Pepe was like anyone it'd be a cross between Zubizereta (not cos he's Spanish but primarily because of the assurance he shows in goal and his relative unflappability) and Schmeichel (for his distribution and always looking to set up a counter).
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline Audrey

• Kemlynite
  • The Reds are coming up the hill
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2009, 12:10:47 am »

[ Reina caught rather than punched a Chelsea cross that ended with a John Terry booking on Wednesday night. There was a part of me – and surely a part of him – that wished he’d punched through the ball with his normal power and caught the lachrymose Chelsea skipper on the nose with his follow through. It would have been nice to have seen Terry spilling blood - and not just his usual tears - on to the Anfield sod. 

that part made me spill my glass of water!  :lmao

But seriously, thanks for that post, great read. I'm too young to remember the great Liverpool keepers of the past, i don't even have clear memories of the James era, but i'm sure Reina will become for my generation what Clemence was to the previous ones.

Offline shanklyboy

• OCB Enforcer.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2009, 01:11:12 am »
Great read as always yorkie.
Liverpool F.C has always had a special relationship with the feller between the sticks. Hence it's telegraphic address being 'Goalkeeper Liverpool' (If nobody knows what a telegraphic address is.........ask your Dad......or God forbid , your Grandad)

I was lucky enough to have seen all our 'keepers' from Lawrence onwards.
Tommy being the original 'sweeper keeper'. Patrolling the edge of his box and sometimes further to act as cover for Yeats and Smith. Another innovation that was added to Shankly's European ideal of playing 4-4-2. So Lawrence was a key component to Liverpools tactical approach to games that had opponents baffled.

I saw Clemence in the reserves first. In fact I think I saw his debut.
When he made his debut in the first team, like every player did in those days,he wore the shirt of the player he was replacing. Clemence obviously wore Tommy Lawrence's. Needless to say it was about 2 sizes too big for him, especially around the neck. They eventually got one that fitted. Now that was a shirt that was going to eventually take some filling! What a goalkeeper the lad was.
In one of his first games I remember him coming to take a cross. I can't remember who the opposing centre forward was, but it was the typical bustling alehouse type. Clem took the cross but got clattered. It happened a few times in the game.
In the next game however he came out leading with his knee up and layed the centre forward out....no problem.
He had everything Clemence. Courage, speed , anticipation, agility and that unerring knack of doing nothing for 89 minutes and then making a match winning save.
He never stood still during the game.....always jogging around his area to keep warm and alert. Total pro.

Brucie was a one off. Like Reina he was a very strong character off the field.
I was in town with a mate of mine and his young lad once and we took a shortcut through Lime St Station. The players were going to London and some were milling about the platform. We obviously had to go and have a chat.
We asked if we could get some autographs for the lad and Brucie was leaning out of the door window. He shouted over to us to come over and asked if we wanted to meet some of the lads and get the lad some autographs.
We went into the carriage and they were all there, reading and playing cards. Dalglish, Souness, Terry Mac etc.
Some of the lads were playing cards and were shouting, having a laugh. They were obviously oblivious to us and a few were swearing. Brucie shouted at them to keep the language down as there was a kid there. They looked up, apologised and went all sheepish. The boss had spoken apparently.

Anyway they were fantastic with my mates lad. Signing bit's of paper, shaking his hand, ruffling his hair.
Brucie then escorted us off the train.....thanking us!! Great feller.........excellent keeper and.....mad as a hatter.

The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie — deliberate, contrived and dishonest — but the myth — persistent, persuasive and unrealistic.

John F. Kennedy.
www.savelfc.org

royhendo

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2009, 08:00:04 am »
Quality Shanklyboy :)

Offline Kevin DalgRush

• Main Stander
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2009, 08:11:42 am »
Hear, hear!!!
"Kenny Dalglish is probably the most modest man who has ever been handed the nickname 'King' but King Kenny he will always be."

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2009, 08:44:00 am »
A simply superb piece of writing, Yorky. I don't think it can be understated how important a character like Reina is to the team. As well as being a fantastic keeper, he keeps the squad together and adds to the team spirit. Truly indispensable.
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline kaz1983

• "Bloody Memory Wavers" Currently in debt with RAWK.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well dunno what to say, honest
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2009, 09:20:16 am »
Even when Clemence was beaten there was usually something to admire in his effort to keep the shot out. Filler recently mentioned on RAWK the Justin Fashanu goal at Carrow Road which he says made him want to be a keeper. An odd conclusion to draw from the goal of season you might think. But check it out on youtube. He’s right. After all these years the most awesome thing about the goal is Clemence’s interstellar flight that almost keeps it out.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nt3q8_sxd-o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nt3q8_sxd-o</a>

Offline Ratzer

• Anny Roader
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2009, 11:20:23 am »
Great post....Got it 100%

Offline Don Vito Corleone

• I want you all to call me Loretta
  • Legacy Fan
  • They talk when they should be listening
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 05:16:46 pm »
Some of us have been saying this for years
"I never wanted this for you. I work my whole life--I don't apologize--to take care of my family, and I refused to be a fool, dancing on the string held by all those bigshots. I don't apologize--that's my life--but I thought that, that when it was your time, that you would be the one to hold the string."

Offline tonyLFC

• Add me on Facebook! LOLZ!
  • Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 05:56:02 pm »
Reina is immense, plus he knows how much the fans like him. Today he stood in the Centenary stand car park signing stuff for fans for ages, taking photos with Kids, i dont think he left anyone stood there without getting their shirt/programme signed or photo taken before he left. Great keeper and decent guy too!

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 06:18:06 pm »
Most excellent piece of writing. Thank you :)
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2009, 11:09:54 pm »
Most excellent piece of writing. Thank you :)

what he said, cheers

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 01:30:19 pm »
Great stuff, Yorky. The only slight quibble I would have is that you didn't touch often enough on the inherent insanity of most keepers, which I think Reina has in spades.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2009, 04:11:02 pm »
Fantastic read Yorky.

With regards to Pepe's punching, there was a brilliant moment at the match yesterday when Agger left the ball after Pepe called for it. Pepe came rushing out, hesitantly, with Samba charging down on him. Samba won the ball, but because Pepe elected to punch he swiftly landed a right hook on Samba's chin, who duely when down like a sack of shit. The enabled Pepe to easily claim the ball that had looped into the air with Samba on the floor not able to challenge ;D

Offline little_fee

• Kemlynite
  • JFT96
« Reply #36 on: April 13, 2009, 08:07:31 am »
Excellent post Yorky.

After he joined Chelsea I rated Cech as the best in the league; he was prone to very few errors in judgement and dominated the box, something I felt Pepe struggled with early on. Over the last 18 months however I think Cech’s decision making has waivered (hesitancy remaining from his injury?) and Reina has continued to improve to be best keeper in the league, and probably second best  in Europe (Casillas looks world-class behind an inferior defence). While he’s not as physically imposing as someone like Cech or Friedel his athleticism makes up for it, and as mentioned by others, his distribution is outstanding and something that puts us ahead of other teams.

Great stuff, Yorky. The only slight quibble I would have is that you didn't touch often enough on the inherent insanity of most keepers, which I think Reina has in spades.
And yes, mad as a bag of snakes

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 09:38:29 am »
Hats off again, Yorky, great stuff.  Coming up to Clem standards, methinks.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2009, 11:31:39 am »
Thanks for replies folks.

A couple of points. 1. The madness of goalies? Probably true. Some are ostentatiously mad like Bruce, or that old WBA keeper Osborne. But even the quieter ones must have screws rattling round their head I think. 2. The Cech comparison is good. Cech was superior a couple of years ago, but not now. The horrible injury still affects him as you could see v Bolton. Their first two goals were partly the result of him pulling out of areas he believed a flying boot was in.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Rigga

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 12:54:58 pm »
Excellent post Yorky.  We met him a couple of years ago on my eldest daughters birthday, she wouldn't have her photo with him, she was only 5 and had Knowsley Safari Park on her mind - the missus was in like a shot.  Shit hot keeper, apparently he smells lovely too.