Author Topic: Linux - Getting Started  (Read 4520 times)

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
Linux - Getting Started
« on: November 8, 2005, 09:59:56 am »
Just dipping my toes into the Linux pool for the first time. Downloaded and installed Ubuntu linux, easy peasy no probs.

I want to try a few flavours so I can find one i'm happy with.

Can anyone recommend a particular distro? For convienience I'd prefer it if it fits on and boots from a 700mb cd.

Any other resource suggestions for a beginner?

(No suggestions to go to google and type in "Linux for beginners" please, I'm after recommendations ;))

Thanks in advance.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Linux - Getting Started
« Reply #1 on: November 8, 2005, 10:42:25 am »
If you want to really learn about Linux, and you want to build your operating system exactly the way you want, I can recommend Gentoo. I would recommend, however, that you load it on an old P.C. first.

The install is quite detailed, but if you really want to learn Linux, this is one sure fire way of doing it.

As you probably know, Windows comes with all sorts of bells and whistles that most people never get around to using: this makes it slow to run, and also open to security breaches.

One great thing about Linux is no need to worry about viruses and all that other stuff that troubles 99% of the I.T. world that is hooked on windows. There can be issues, however, with getting your hardware to work with some distros.

What is your interest in Linux? Are you going to be setting up servers with it or is it just an out of hours thing? 
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #2 on: November 8, 2005, 11:46:14 am »
Just for fun initially, I need some stimulation.

We are a pure MS house at work.

I may consider using a copupe of linux boxes as servers here if I feel comfy enough.

I've got an old P3 1ghz for the purpose running Ubuntu at the moment. But its too easy an install if you see what i mean. I need nuts and bolts.

Thanks for you help.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline Dread Breath

• Resident Lecter. Convicted of crimes against Andrew Symonds and pensioned off to Australia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 8, 2005, 11:59:10 am »
Try this distro review page: it may clarify for you the distro that suits your needs.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/reviews/index.php?cat=2
Blame me for all the draft threads on RAWK

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #4 on: November 8, 2005, 04:46:29 pm »
You would definitely need to learn a bit about Unix. Some things really don't operate the way we seasoned Windows users think they do. I even got confused with the directory system!

MS-DOS is like a plate of salted peanuts compared to this.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

hoonin

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 12:28:00 pm »
On the surface, they're all a much of a muchness I guess, especially as you'll more than liekly be using the same Desktop/Window Manager, such as KDE or GNOME.

We use SuSe here, but in all honestly I cant say its any better or any worse than other distributions as I've never really spent enough time using them

You could try Solaris instead of Linux. One of the oldest and most stable kernels of all UNIX flavours. Its free, runs on X86 architecture and the latest release has some marvellous features. Theres also an open source version of it now, which is maintained by its user community. A great idea to encourage innovation.

www.sun.com/solaris10
www.opensolaris.org

Offline youtookmyname

• Kopite
  • Kong my whopper!
    • Footy Fashion n stuff
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 12:46:07 pm »
I use the 'debian' distro on my linux box. It's mostly used as a server box for messing about on and to serve mp3s and movies around the house.

A great way to dip your toe in the linux waters to see if you like it by using a live distro. These don't install anything to your hard disk and let you experience linux. It all works by loading the entire OS into RAM. A great live distro to try is knoppix, i really recommend it.

Here is a list of loads of live distros to try:

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

and a link to knoppix:

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 3, 2007, 10:01:52 pm »
Anyone know how to install VLC Media player onto YellowDog Linux? I have it running on my ps3, but there doesn't seem to be a simple way to install it. Is it difficult to do?

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 4, 2007, 12:31:40 am »
Anyone know how to install VLC Media player onto YellowDog Linux? I have it running on my ps3, but there doesn't seem to be a simple way to install it. Is it difficult to do?

How is that by the way? Was thinking of putting it on my PS3, but seemed more hassle than it was worth... what can you actually do with it for example?

I have an old PC and was thinking of getting Linux on it actually- will look into it more when I've got more time on my hands.
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: November 4, 2007, 10:25:39 am »

http://tbreak.com/forums/showthread.php?t=38117

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 4, 2007, 04:55:53 pm »
How is that by the way? Was thinking of putting it on my PS3, but seemed more hassle than it was worth... what can you actually do with it for example?

I have an old PC and was thinking of getting Linux on it actually- will look into it more when I've got more time on my hands.
It's piss easy to install. Only reason i bothered was the hope that i could install VLC and that way be able to play HD rips on my hdtv. I got VLC installed(thanks fish77), but it can't really play the HD rips smoothly at all. Oh well..

Offline Athers

• Kopite
  • misunderstood
« Reply #11 on: November 4, 2007, 11:37:40 pm »
I decided to have a go with Ubuntu a couple of months back and it was a bit of a nightmare getting all my hardware to work, my wireless, soundcard, speakers and graphics card didn't work until I spent hours getting the solutions!

It's alright but does tend to make things harder than they would be under Windows.  This is just down to my own ignorance really but getting things like streaming programs or poker programs to work isn't particularly easy I've found.

Offline gray--

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Shake and bake baby. Shake and bake.
« Reply #12 on: November 5, 2007, 05:25:25 pm »
I like Debian, the package manager is pretty awesome.

Also use Fedora at work, quite a fan of that one too.  However, by all accounts, Ubuntu sounds like an excellent starting point :)
"I used to write witty signatures for a living, now I just write signatures" - (gray--, July 2007)

Offline Doc Evil

• PunjabEvo - "Goin' Madrid lad? Gorranyspares?"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kelvin McKenzie is a c*nt. SOS 7175
« Reply #13 on: November 5, 2007, 07:57:59 pm »
If you want to install a few and have a feel for the flavour of them, try installing them as virtual machines inside something like Innotek Virtuabox (can't remember it's exact name). You can install and run a few different versions of pretty much anything including Windows, Linux distros etc.

I'll find a link and whack it up here.

Innotek is free btw.

EDIT: Here you go:

http://www.virtualbox.org/

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

It's good, have a friend of mine who just has a virtual machine set up which he fires up and runs to order stuff off the web!! Doesn't trust his usual OS, and has a virtual machine which would hold all the credit card numbers, cookies, the autocomplete info etc!! Seems a little overkill to me, but he swears by it!!
« Last Edit: November 5, 2007, 08:01:06 pm by Dr_Evil99 »
"You going to Madrid lad? Gorrany spares?"

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #14 on: November 5, 2007, 08:44:21 pm »
Has he got a spare tinfoil hat?

Offline Rafadagaffer

• Kopite
  • Walk on Walk on..
« Reply #15 on: November 6, 2007, 12:51:13 am »
Has he got a spare tinfoil hat?

No Bill Gates stole them all and marketed it as his own idea :P
I think we have some posibilities, no?

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #16 on: November 6, 2007, 10:41:30 am »
Then incorporated microchip trackers into them so he knows what you're doing at all times.

Offline Doc Evil

• PunjabEvo - "Goin' Madrid lad? Gorranyspares?"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kelvin McKenzie is a c*nt. SOS 7175
« Reply #17 on: November 6, 2007, 01:35:59 pm »
;D
"You going to Madrid lad? Gorrany spares?"

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 7, 2007, 05:39:20 pm »
I think Ubuntu is a great place  to start. It's based on Debian, which has the best software management by a country mile, and it's not as big as other distros like SuSE or Mandriva, which makes it less intimidating poking around in /etc. Personally, I'd go for Kubuntu, because KDE is much better than Gnome.

The distros are all much of a sameness beyond the configuration tools. It's more a job of choosing KDE or Gnome (or something less mainstream) as your desktop environment.

Tips I'd offer would be to make sure you keep your user data /home on a separate partition, which means you can delete and re-install the OS as often as you like without losing your data or any settings (Linux stores all of your personal settings in your home folder). Secondly, don't go crazy when choosing what to install. Every Linux distro comes with about a billion programs. If you install loads, you'll never find anything in your application menus.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Rafadagaffer

• Kopite
  • Walk on Walk on..
« Reply #19 on: November 7, 2007, 11:18:44 pm »
I'm using Ubuntu now and really liking it. The 3d desktop effects are really well done. I'm still trying to get some programs up and running though, and setting up hardware was a bit of problem.

Once thats all set it has been perfect, so much faster than vista. New users should definitely visit http://ubunutforums.org, some great tutorials there.

« Last Edit: November 7, 2007, 11:21:47 pm by Rafadagaffer »

Offline Slidey

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • http://rawk.impulsed.net
« Reply #20 on: November 8, 2007, 11:38:28 am »
You could try Solaris instead of Linux. One of the oldest and most stable kernels of all UNIX flavours. Its free, runs on X86 architecture and the latest release has some marvellous features. Theres also an open source version of it now, which is maintained by its user community. A great idea to encourage innovation.

www.sun.com/solaris10
www.opensolaris.org

i dont think id recommend solaris (esp 10) as a first *nix...

Offline gray--

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Shake and bake baby. Shake and bake.
« Reply #21 on: November 8, 2007, 06:01:28 pm »
i dont think id recommend solaris (esp 10) as a first *nix...

A bad workman.....
"I used to write witty signatures for a living, now I just write signatures" - (gray--, July 2007)

Offline leighton

• adopter of peasants, spelling mistakes are the iPads fault - obviously.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter @smee05
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 10:31:03 pm »
got mandriva running dual boot with xp - loving the style of this, been on it all day :)
Everton fc, the slogans club. More slogans than trophies - now available in pink.

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 10:37:54 pm »
Aye Mandriva is slick. Are you running all the fancy Compiz effects? Some of them are quite functional too.

I've wiped windows off my sisters old laptop and installed Ubuntu on it. Works like a dream. Linux is great.
JFT97

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 11:35:59 pm »
Gave Ubuntu a go, too much of a chore to get used to, especially as Vista is so easy and well....just well better imo.

Offline leighton

• adopter of peasants, spelling mistakes are the iPads fault - obviously.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Twitter @smee05
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 08:38:43 am »
Aye Mandriva is slick. Are you running all the fancy Compiz effects? Some of them are quite functional too.

I've wiped windows off my sisters old laptop and installed Ubuntu on it. Works like a dream. Linux is great.

compiz is there, not yet had a mess about with it, woke up this morning to 181 updates - feels just like windows.
Everton fc, the slogans club. More slogans than trophies - now available in pink.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 09:21:47 am »
I have Ubuntu and well as much as I wanted to like it and prefer it to Windows...I just couldn't! Ubuntu needs to improve on some aspects...but if it can improve like it has been improving...I can't see why it won't be giving serious thoughts to Microsoft and challenging it's monopoly. But at the moment IMO it falls way short off Windows!

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 12:52:55 pm »
I have Ubuntu and well as much as I wanted to like it and prefer it to Windows...I just couldn't! Ubuntu needs to improve on some aspects...but if it can improve like it has been improving...I can't see why it won't be giving serious thoughts to Microsoft and challenging it's monopoly. But at the moment IMO it falls way short off Windows!

I just don't get why it takes reading up on to simply install software on it. I'm sure it's easy when you know how. Definitely not noob friendly. Took me ages to get VLC installed on YDL for the ps3.

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 09:15:17 pm »
compiz is there, not yet had a mess about with it, woke up this morning to 181 updates - feels just like windows.

You can't get away from updates - I've got Ubuntu, OSX and XP and each one has weekly updates. They annoy me too, but unavoidable.

Compiz is okay, looks boss, but only some of the features are properly useful.
JFT97

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 08:46:39 am »
I just don't get why it takes reading up on to simply install software on it. I'm sure it's easy when you know how. Definitely not noob friendly. Took me ages to get VLC installed on YDL for the ps3.

agree mate. Tried to install a simple programm (limewire i think it was) and it told me to open the terminal something....After finding this Terminal (some 15 minutes later), it would not open ???. That was the final straw for me. Also it seemed to 'freeze' sometimes, so I returned to Windows. But if they make some work on these small but important details...I think they can give Microsoft a run for their money.

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 11:59:24 am »
YDL is a bit of an obscure distro, though, isn't it?

Haven't used Linux in about 3 years (what I moved to OS X from). Is it still so hard for noobs? I figured Ubuntu at least would have sorted out some decent graphical configuration tools by now.

The biggest problem I always found with distros' own config tools is that they are very often too buggy to be of use. If you want to use Linux properly, you NEED to learn how the command line works, and you need to be familiar with a few configuration file formats.

I think the common need to use the terminal to get things working on Linux is mostly due to two things:
1) There are so many distros with small differences and different versions/locations of libraries that it's very difficult to get an app up and working on all of them flawlessly.

2) Most apps are written by volunteers scratching their own itch. It would generally mean a large time investment to get installation/setup to work flawlessly everywhere in GUI mode, without adding anything to the core utility of the app. As their income isn't dependent on getting as many users as possible, it's simply not worth it to them when the same result can be achieved with a bit of graft in the terminal by the user. Which is fair enough. If I've spent hundreds of hours writing an app for myself and give it to you for free, while I might be more than willing to help you with any bugs you have, I'm not likely to be much moved by the argument that you can't be bothered to copy and paste a couple of lines of text into a terminal.

Offline Rafadagaffer

• Kopite
  • Walk on Walk on..
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2008, 12:24:54 pm »
I just got my hands on an old Gateway and I'm trying to decide between installing Damn Small Linux or Zenwalk on it.

Anyone have experience with either of these?

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2008, 02:11:53 pm »
Used DSL a few times, but that was a long time ago. It was a fine system. I'd stick Debian on myself, though.

Offline cissepower

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 04:25:22 pm »
just installed mandriva 2008, i think its quality, not experienced any problems so far  which is good as i am a total noob when it comes to linux

overall very happy
~~Justice For The 96, You'll Never Walk Alone~~

Offline wacko

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2008, 06:27:21 pm »
just installed mandriva 2008, i think its quality, not experienced any problems so far  which is good as i am a total noob when it comes to linux

overall very happy
Linux is great to use, especially KDE. It can just be a pain when you run into problems, which invariably means cryptic hackery in the terminal.

Offline TheKid.

• Goat abuser
  • Legacy Fan
  • Vamos
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2008, 11:31:45 pm »
One of my laptop's hard drive (ie the hdd on one of my laptops, not one of the hdd's on my laptop ;) ) is dying, pretty badly, so before i get a new one, i got a friend to put SUSE Linux thingy on it, as it was having trouble running windows - all very nice so far, tho i havent tried to run any programs really or anything properly on it, not that i really do anyway on a laptop, just use it for downloading stuff, and using the internet, which it;s doing nicely on Linux.

Got a "Microsoft compatable" Office set of programs running too, so should be no problems saving things and running them on Window's computers :)

Offline GinKop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2008, 10:05:25 pm »
One of my laptop's hard drive (ie the hdd on one of my laptops, not one of the hdd's on my laptop ;) ) is dying, pretty badly, so before i get a new one, i got a friend to put SUSE Linux thingy on it, as it was having trouble running windows - all very nice so far, tho i havent tried to run any programs really or anything properly on it, not that i really do anyway on a laptop, just use it for downloading stuff, and using the internet, which it;s doing nicely on Linux.

Got a "Microsoft compatable" Office set of programs running too, so should be no problems saving things and running them on Window's computers :)

Exactly the set up I've got on mine, all for the same uses - between Firefox, Transmission, MPlayer, Automatix and Open Office, I can do everything I need to. I'm running it on my sisters 3 year old Dell Inspiron 1200 (i.e. the shittiest base model possible) and it's great.
JFT97

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 6, 2021, 02:17:45 pm »
My first ventures in Linux have been amazing.  OK, installing it and playing about installing apps and stuff isn't ground-breaking but I'm finding it fun.  The performance of the few apps I have installed opposed to windows equivalent already seems incredible to me.

Can anyone recommend a good free online tutorial or course that I can work through getting used to the command line and file structures etc

Basically a real beginners course.  Nothing heavy like Kali Linux or anything.  I have a working install of a Mint 20 distro it'd like to use for my training.

cheers

Online Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 7, 2021, 09:57:45 am »
My first ventures in Linux have been amazing.  OK, installing it and playing about installing apps and stuff isn't ground-breaking but I'm finding it fun.  The performance of the few apps I have installed opposed to windows equivalent already seems incredible to me.

Can anyone recommend a good free online tutorial or course that I can work through getting used to the command line and file structures etc

Basically a real beginners course.  Nothing heavy like Kali Linux or anything.  I have a working install of a Mint 20 distro it'd like to use for my training.

cheers
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/cBokz0LTizk&amp;ab_channel=TraversyMedia" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/cBokz0LTizk&amp;ab_channel=TraversyMedia</a>
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 7, 2021, 10:12:05 am »
Cheers MK, perfect. I suppose I could have just googled that mate. :)

I also signed up for a very similar free tutorial on Udemy

Will run through them both for a start.

cheers