Author Topic: A Summer Summary  (Read 10040 times)

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
A Summer Summary
« on: September 6, 2006, 06:05:04 pm »
A summery, if you will, of where the "big four" clubs stand after the summer's transfer activity.

Chelsea

In:

Andriy Shevchenko £30.8m, Jon Obi Mikel £16m, Khalid Boulahrouz £7m, Ashley Cole £5m (+ William Gallas), Salomon Kalou £3.5m (Initial fee), Michael Ballack Free, Ben Sahar £.32m.

Total: £62.62m

Out:

Eidur Gudjohnsen £8.2m, Robert Huth £6m, Damien Duff £5m, Assier Del Horno £4.8m, Jiri Jarosik undisclosed, William Gallas for A. Cole, Hernan Crespo Free, Glen Johnson Loan.

Total: £24m

Net spend: £38.62

A huge alteration to their transfer policy saw superstar signings Shevchenko and Ballack walk through the door. Luring Michael Ballack to Stamford Bridge whilst out-of-contract is very smart business by Chelsea and whilst his wage-bill may constitute to a large amount, but with their money, that will be of little concern. If he assists in taking the goal-scoring burden off Frank Lampard, he’ll have earned every penny, from Mourinho’s point of view.

Andriy Shevchenko has scored wherever he has gone and has consistently found the net in a very defensively structured league. So far, he has been cursed, as every time he has got himself on to the score-sheet, Chelsea have gone on to lose the game! But there is no doubting he can be a success. Already he has adapted to the English game well, demonstrating his predatory instincts. Can he form a partnership with Drogba, though? Both strikers have spent the last few years playing as the fulcrum of every attack their respective sides and may struggle to link-up.

In Salomon Kalou, they have one of the most generous footballers in the world. Very direct and tricky when in possession, Shevchenko should be able to complete the moves he starts regularly. At the back, Boulahrouz is a player I admire and will provide good cover if Carvalho or Terry are ever out. It is doubtful we will see too much of Obi Mikel, despite his fee, this season, but he is a prime example of the young players Mourinho is trying to develop at the club and a lack of impact this term won't worry Mourinho too much.

Strong points: Goals come from all areas of the park. John Terry pretty much guarantees them around 5 goals from centre back, whilst Lampard has scored at the rate of a top-class centre forward for the past two years. Up front, they have all different kinds of attributes at their disposal: pace, strength, skill and, most importantly, goals. And their first-choice defence looks as solid as ever.

Can often rely on individual brilliance to win games they don’t deserve to win.

Potential weaknesses: Despite the arrival of Dutchman Khalid Boulahrouz, Mourinho has unwillingly lost William Gallas and Robert Huth. Their lack of cover at centre back, along with the reliance on players who are not used to the English style of play and over concentration on Europe could cost them and their squad will be pushed to the limits.

They can also have their fingers crossed that Petr Cech stays fit, because whilst his back-up Carlo Cudicini is one of the best shot-stoppers in the game, his inability to handle crosses into the box cost them the points against Middlesbrough.

Manchester United

In:

Michael Carrick £18.6m, Tomas Kuszcak Loan (£2m when made permanent).

Total: £19.1m

Out:

Jon Obi Mikel £12m, Ruud van Nistelrooy £11m, Jon Spector £.5m, Sylvan Ebanks Blake £.2m, Quinton Fortune Free, Liam Miller, Tim Howard and Ben Foster All loan.

Total: £23.6m

Net spend: £-4.5m

A strange summer at Manchester United: whilst it is very gratifying to make a profit, it may well come at a severe cost.

Despite a brilliant start to the season, there is no denying the fact that they have failed to sort out long-term problems. The sale of Ruud van Nistelrooy – who scored 20+ league goals in four out of the five seasons he was at Old Trafford – could be one they regret heavily. Having said that, Wayne Rooney looks eager enough to net twenty or above league goals, for the first time in his career, whilst Louis Saha, Ole Gunnar Solksjaer and Alan Smith can all lead the front line for Ferguson.

Michael Carrick, their only summer signing, whilst being a very good prospect, isn’t the tough-tackling, destructive midfielder that they are begging for. Ferguson lined up Alan Smith for this role, but he can’t play to the standards that Roy Keane did.

The failed attempt to lure Mahamadou Diarra and reported interests in the likes of Mascherano and Gatusso, show Ferguson’s intent and, ultimately, frustration.

Strong points: Genuine pace throughout their side, particularly on the wings where they supply their front-men with excellent service. They have a very good defence, with plenty of cover. Wayne Rooney and Christiano Ronaldo have shown no signs of their over-hyped ‘bust-up’ effecting their play and the two youngsters put in sterling performances, that  proved to be too strong for a shocked Fulham side on the opening weekend of the league campaign.

Can often rely on individual brilliance to win games they don’t deserve to win.

Potential weaknesses: No dominating figure in the centre of the park could stop their more creative players having an influence on games. Too much expectation on a striker who hasn’t kicked a ball for three years and despite a very talented midfield, nobody can really guarantee them 8-15 goals a season, which is something they haven’t had for a while.

Arsenal

In:

William Gallas (part-exchange for Cole), Tomas Rosicky £6.8m, Fran Merida Free, Julio Baptista Loan

Total: £6.8m

Out:

Ashley Cole (£5m plus William Gallas), Pascal Cygan £2m, Robert Pires Free, Sol Campbell Free, Jose Antonio Reyes Loan, Dennis Bergkamp Retired

Total: £7m

Net Spend: -£0.2m

Like Manchester United, Arsenal missed their talisman last season. If Roy Keane and Patrick Vieira were entering their prime in the respective teams, they would both be entirely different propositions. As it stands, especially in Arsenal’s case, teams try to ‘bully’ them out of the game. Sides like Everton, Blackburn and Bolton beat them, as they couldn’t handle their physical approach. Again like Manchester United, they have failed to find their man this summer.

Wenger will be hoping Gilberto Silva performs to the standard he did in their Champions League run last season, whilst Julio Baptista and William Gallas can give them the belligerence they lacked last term.

In Gallas, they have a fantastic replacement for Sol Campbell and in Baptista, they have a player who allows them to mix up their rather predictable, but still often effective, style of play. Their other major summer signing, Tomas Rosicky, could prove to be a key buy for Wenger: during the past two seasons, as age had advanced on the likes of Robert Pires and Freddie Ljungberg, they relied too heavily on Henry to score them their goals. Who know, we may see an even better Thierry Henry without the responsibility or burden on his shoulders.

Strong points: World-class centre-forward, who has signed a new contract - has the ability to drag them out of tricky situations with important goals. Enthusiastic youngsters like Fabregas and Walcott desperate to make their mark. More variation added to their play, with a bustling centre-forward added. They have an abundance of attacking quality with the likes of Adebayor and van Persie seemingly second-choice.

Potential weaknesses: A very young and inexperienced squad. Started the season poorly and may struggle to adapt their style of play onto a bigger pitch surface. Missing a midfield general and don’t have any senior wingers to bring the best out of Baptista.

So, that brings me to us.

Liverpool

In:

Dirk Kuyt £9m, Craig Bellamy £6m, Jermaine Pennant £6.7m, Mark Gonzalez £3.5m, Gabriel Paletta £2m, Fabio Aurelio Free.

Total : £27.2m

Out :

Fernando Morientes £3m, Jan Kromkamp £1.7m, Djimi Traore £2m, Neil Mellor £.5m, Bruno Cheyrou Undisclosed, Antonio Barragan £.7m, Dietmar Hamann Free, Chris Kirkland, Djibril Cisse, Scott Carson, Antony Le Tallec, Florent Sinama Pongolle All loan.

£8.58m

Net Spend: £18.62m

In yet another season of transition for Liverpool, the chief desire was to bolster our forward line that fired more blanks than the TA last season.

As one fast-paced striker left for France, another arrived in the shape of Bellamy. In the Welshman, we have a player with great hunger. A self-proclaimed Liverpool fan, he will hopefully use this opportunity to turn over a new leaf. With the intricacy to go along with his speed, Bellamy seems to be the perfect man for two crucial circumstances we often find ourselves in: i) the ability to break down sides when they park a bus in front of the goal, ii) the ability to punish sides on the break.

Dirk Kuyt, whose track record in the Erevidese is simply stunning, again brings something different to the frontline. With very good upper body strength and agility to match, fans are already making comparisons with Liverpool great Kevin Keegan. Here’s to hoping he is as successful and takes to the Premiership like fish to water.

Mark Gonzalez and Jermaine Pennant, like Craig Bellamy offer the side a lot of pace. Peter Crouch’s goal against Maccabi Haifa in Kiev, assisted by Pennant, is precisely the kind of goal that we severely lacked last season and it is both a relief and a joyous time that we have finally got chalk-on-their-boots players back playing on the Anfield turf. Fantastic.

Lastly, we have also managed to further bolster our back-line, luring a player alikened to Roberto Ayala, in Gabriel Paletta. Daniel Agger has put in some top-class displays in the absence of the injured Jamie Carragher, too. At right-back, we have been left short, as needing the money from Kromkamp's sale means that the Lucas Meal Deal couldn’t be completed in time.

Strong points: The best central midfielder on the planet, genuine width, a hell of a lot more pace and a solid defence to act as a platform to work from. If, last season, we missed Hyypia or Carragher, we would have sincerely struggled, with our only back-up being Djimi Traore, so far this season, Agger has shown he can be relied upon.

Potential Weaknesses: Rotation policy has its advantages, but I feel we need to find two front men and stick with them barring injuries and suspensions. We also must find the right balance. The inability to beat the big sides has also cost us dearly in the past and it is something we must definitely put right this season, particularly at Anfield.

© Garstonite 2006
« Last Edit: September 7, 2006, 12:59:24 pm by Rushian »

Offline jackellis

• Legacy Fan
Re: Summery
« Reply #1 on: September 6, 2006, 06:14:53 pm »
top post mate, interesting read.

before the season started, i really thought that man utd would struggle to match us, arsenal and chelsea. however, they've had a very good start, despite frustrations in the transfer market, and it was obvious to see fergie bricking one towards the end of the window to make a panic buy.

carrick doesn't quite cut it for me, and kuszcak is far too good a keeper to be an understudy- he needs to be playing first team football and a team like pompey would have been made for him, although they've brought in david james now.

it's up to the bigger teams like us to kill utd's momentum because they have the strength to see off most of the smaller sides, for example everton. aside from that i can't see them being as much of a threat to chelsea than we are. but then again, you can never write off united.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2006, 06:16:45 pm by jackellis »
Just think- next time I shoot someone, I could be arrested.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 6, 2006, 06:18:56 pm »
Brilliant, lad. The more I look at United's activity, the more I think this good start to the season can't last. Carrick certainly doesnt seem to be the player they needed the most, although he should be an improvement on last season. But the departure of Van Nistelrooy has placed an awful lot of pressure on Saha. Time will only tell.

Great overall analysis of the teams
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline cuba

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3 on: September 6, 2006, 06:22:40 pm »
So we only spent 18 million?

I would have been happy spending that amount on just Craig Douglas Bellamy and Kuyt.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 6, 2006, 06:25:00 pm »
So we only spent 18 million?

I would have been happy spending that amount on just Craig Douglas Bellamy and Kuyt.

Well, that's just our net spend. We spent just over £27m on the six players we brought in, but recouped fairly well with fringe players and those not up to the standards expected moving on.

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 6, 2006, 06:26:17 pm »
Well, that's just our net spend. We spent just over £27m on the six players we brought in, but recouped fairly well with fringe players and those not up to the standards expected moving on.

and with a fee coming for Cisse, looks like very good business was done this summer

Offline mr-4

• Kopite
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2006, 06:26:50 pm »
Chelsea

Potential weaknesses: Despite the arrival of Dutchman Khalid Boulahrouz, Mourinho has unwillingly lost William Gallas and Robert Huth. Their lack of cover at centre back, along with the reliance on players who are not used to the English style of play and over concentration on Europe could cost them and their squad will be pushed to the limits.

They can also have their fingers crossed that Petr Cech stays fit, because whilst his back-up Carlo Cudicini is one of the best shot-stoppers in the game, his inability to handle crosses into the box cost them the points against Middlesbrough.

For me these are the main points. I am also of the view that there will be more bustups within the team in the future, despite all that 'family' crap talk.
Manchester United

Strong points: Genuine pace throughout their side, particularly on the wings where they supply their front-men with excellent service. They have a very good defence, with plenty of cover.

I disagree strongly with that. What/who do they have as a cover and who are their 'best' men in defence. Wes Brown, Silvestre? Please...::)

Arsenal

In Gallas, they have a fantastic replacement for Sol Campbell and in Baptista, they have a player who allows them to mix up their rather predictable, but still often effective, style of play. Their other major summer signing, Tomas Rosicky, could prove to be a key buy for Wenger: during the past two seasons, as age had advanced on the likes of Robert Pires and Freddie Ljungberg, they relied too heavily on Henry to score them their goals. Who know, we may see an even better Thierry Henry without the responsibility or burden on his shoulders.

Strong points: World-class centre-forward, who has signed a new contract - has the ability to drag them out of tricky situations with important goals. Enthusiastic youngsters like Fabregas and Walcott desperate to make their mark. More variation added to their play, with a bustling centre-forward added. They have an abundance of attacking quality with the likes of Adebayor and van Persie seemingly second-choice.

Potential weaknesses: A very young and inexperienced squad. Started the season poorly and may struggle to adapt their style of play onto a bigger pitch surface. Missing a midfield general and don’t have any senior wingers to bring the best out of Baptista.

Agree with that.

Liverpool

Potential Weaknesses: Rotation policy has its advantages, but I feel we need to find two front men and stick with them barring injuries and suspensions. We also must find the right balance. The inability to beat the big sides has also cost us dearly in the past and it is something we must definitely put right this season, particularly at Anfield.

Disagree with that - 'horses for courses' as far as not just strikers, but all of our players are concerned. Rafa does not rotate the squad for the sake of it all, he chooses it depending on the opposition we play.
Mourinho, 19 Feb 2004: Liverpool over Chelsea, no doubt about it
Rick Parry, 22 Aug 2006: You have to aim for the stars, not mediocrity
Chris Bascombe, 21 Sep 2006: No matter how far back you seem, when you're blessed with class, anything is possible.

Offline Hattori Hanzo

• Thinks people playing with lego shouldn't throw stones.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 6, 2006, 06:26:58 pm »
when you consider that we wont see cisse back again and as soon as he is fit we will have 8m for him... our summer was not half as expensive as it looked

Offline cuba

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2006, 06:28:25 pm »

I agree. I wasn't having a go, I was just implying that to bring in all those players for just over 18 million was an excellent bit of business.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 6, 2006, 06:30:10 pm »
I disagree strongly with that. What/who do they have as a cover and who are their 'best' men in defence. Wes Brown, Silvestre? Please...::)

Well, a defence of:

Neville, O'Shea, Brown, Silvestre, Ferdinand, Heinze, Evra is not bad at all in my book. Sure, some of them are prone to error at times, but aren't all defenders? Has plenty of cover and versatility.

Disagree with that - 'horses for courses' as far as not just strikers, but all of our players are concerned. Rafa does not rotate the squad for the sake of it all, he chooses it depending on the opposition we play.

Of course, but there also needs to be an element of understanding between strikers. During our brilliant run of form last season from the end of November onwards, we generally stuck rigidly with Morientes and Crouch and it paid dividends.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 6, 2006, 06:31:28 pm »
I agree. I wasn't having a go, I was just implying that to bring in all those players for just over 18 million was an excellent bit of business.

Don't worry, I know you weren't having a go, mate. As Hattori said - if we can recoup 8 out of the 14 mill spent on Cisse, that gives us a net spend of around £10m, which isn't bad at all.

Offline Consigliere

• Through a glass darkly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 6, 2006, 06:31:31 pm »
Nicely written. That objectivity is the sort of thing you'd see in the broadsheets but more insightful.

Offline bellinter

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 6, 2006, 06:32:29 pm »
Well, a defence of:

Neville, O'Shea, Brown, Silvestre, Ferdinand, Heinze, Evra is not bad at all in my book. Sure, some of them are prone to error at times, but aren't all defenders? Has plenty of cover and versatility.

and when you add Vidic (granted he's not yet proven but was starting to look good towards the end of last season) to that list, they are certainly very strong in that area... especially with a keeper of Van Der Sar's quality behind them

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 6, 2006, 06:35:03 pm »
Nicely written. That objectivity is the sort of thing you'd see in the broadsheets but more insightful.

Shame about the awful tabloid-esque title. :P

EDIT: Changed it now.

and when you add Vidic (granted he's not yet proven but was starting to look good towards the end of last season) to that list, they are certainly very strong in that area... especially with a keeper of Van Der Sar's quality behind them

Forgot about Vidic. You're right. Further proves my point.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2006, 06:36:36 pm by Garstonite »

Offline mr-4

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: September 6, 2006, 06:48:20 pm »
Well, a defence of:

Not to forget Vidic, eh? ;D

Of all those if Ferdinand and Evra/O'Shea are half as good as our back four the mancs will be laughing.

I don't rate the rest (and certainly not that c*nt Neville - for sure). To say that they have/had the best defence or the best men - well, if anything, we/the rentboys had it prior to the start of this season. While Gallas and a few of their players already left (the rentboys), our defence, if anything, got better this season with the addition of Agger and Paletta.

A counter argument to that would be that we leaked more goals from the start of this season then compared with half of the end of our last, to which I say that our start last season wasn't perfect either and we know what our own defence was like then, eh?

Where is Paul's stats book when you need it? ;D

Of course, but there also needs to be an element of understanding between strikers. During our brilliant run of form last season from the end of November onwards, we generally stuck rigidly with Morientes and Crouch and it paid dividends.
Not really, we all know what was Morientes like (not to mention that lazy fucker Cisse). I know where you are coming from though, understanding between players is key, but that does not mean playing 2 strikers all the time (or majority of the time for that matter). Another added factor this season is the competition for places - we have 4 out-and-out strikers and nobody is guaranteed a start, which was not the case last season. That is another positive point of choosing a squad for a particular match (I refuse to entertain the idea of 'rotating' the squad which is misleading).

Great analysis Garstonite - forgot to mention that in my previous reply ;)
« Last Edit: September 6, 2006, 07:04:42 pm by mr-4 »
Mourinho, 19 Feb 2004: Liverpool over Chelsea, no doubt about it
Rick Parry, 22 Aug 2006: You have to aim for the stars, not mediocrity
Chris Bascombe, 21 Sep 2006: No matter how far back you seem, when you're blessed with class, anything is possible.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: A Summer Summary
« Reply #15 on: September 6, 2006, 06:54:13 pm »
Well written and spot on in everything you say
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Benitez

• Legacy Fan
  • Nunca caminarás sólo
« Reply #16 on: September 6, 2006, 07:12:44 pm »
<pedant>
Kalou cost Chelsea £7 mill.

And Gonzalez and Paletta where signed in previous transfer windows, not this one.

</pedant>

as you where :D
"Stay humble. Work harder than the other team every game, and work harder in practice. Take nothing for granted, especially on a day like today. How could you? It’s a gift to be playing in this league, a gift to walk the planet. So you know what, leave it on the ice every single night and let the results take care of themselves"

Offline MR

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #17 on: September 6, 2006, 08:13:11 pm »

Agreed. Most clean sheets in the league last year wasn't it?

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 6, 2006, 09:12:38 pm »
<pedant>
Kalou cost Chelsea £7 mill.

And Gonzalez and Paletta where signed in previous transfer windows, not this one.

</pedant>

as you where :D

I think Kalou's transfer was an initial £3.5m, then an extra £3.5m and then 2 or 3 added million based on appearances, goal etc.

As for the others, we haven't seen them yet so I think they should be included in this year's net spend.

Oh, and fuck off.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 6, 2006, 09:42:10 pm »
Too true as we need to find a striker partnership as what goes for a great central defense, likewise for central midfield, surely also holds for up front. Anyone that has ever played footie knows it takes time to click with those alongside you and over the years that is so true for strikers. Not only do they have to click with the striker alonside them but also get on the same mental path as those providing the ball into them.

One of the most frustrating things is to lose that partnership to an injury, shyte happens, but to self inflict that loss by constant rotation may hurt us. There is enough games around to do a little chop & change for rest purposes but when it comes to the big games & league matches, surely one partnership needs to prosper.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 6, 2006, 10:40:49 pm »
Too true as we need to find a striker partnership as what goes for a great central defense, likewise for central midfield, surely also holds for up front. Anyone that has ever played footie knows it takes time to click with those alongside you and over the years that is so true for strikers. Not only do they have to click with the striker alonside them but also get on the same mental path as those providing the ball into them.

One of the most frustrating things is to lose that partnership to an injury, shyte happens, but to self inflict that loss by constant rotation may hurt us. There is enough games around to do a little chop & change for rest purposes but when it comes to the big games & league matches, surely one partnership needs to prosper.

I don't like you agreeing with me. I'm going for a re-think.

Offline andrewzarb

• Kemlynite
  • 26th May 1999. A feat never to be repeated.
« Reply #21 on: September 6, 2006, 11:00:04 pm »
Brilliant, lad. The more I look at United's activity, the more I think this good start to the season can't last. Carrick certainly doesnt seem to be the player they needed the most, although he should be an improvement on last season. But the departure of Van Nistelrooy has placed an awful lot of pressure on Saha. Time will only tell.

Great overall analysis of the teams
While I agree with you on the basis that Cariick wasnt the exact player we needed, he was ceertalinly needed., and will imprive us. Howerver, i just feel we may ter rue our failure to bring in a tough tackling midfilder. However one point where youre wrong and every1 seems to be saying this is that we will do worse without Ruud. With Ruud, we won the league once, ONCE! and relied on him far too often. Tthis season, we seem to be sharing the goals out abit more. Also, Ruud often slowed down play and we wer less dynamic and one dimensional with him. Saha gives us more pace, and more variety. So  overrall, I think we are better equipped than last season , even with our inability to bring in a defensive midfielder
Maltese Manc.

1966 was a great year for English football. Eric was born.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 6, 2006, 11:32:26 pm »
Surely you would have expected some form of replacement, though?

Offline andrewzarb

• Kemlynite
« Reply #23 on: September 7, 2006, 12:10:59 am »
No, i ave full confidence in Saha, Smith, Wayne, and ole.
Maltese Manc.

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You're ferpectly right.
« Reply #24 on: September 7, 2006, 12:13:56 am »
While I agree with you on the basis that Cariick wasnt the exact player we needed, he was ceertalinly needed., and will imprive us. Howerver, i just feel we may ter rue our failure to bring in a tough tackling midfilder. However one point where youre wrong and every1 seems to be saying this is that we will do worse without Ruud. With Ruud, we won the league once, ONCE! and relied on him far too often. Tthis season, we seem to be sharing the goals out abit more. Also, Ruud often slowed down play and we wer less dynamic and one dimensional with him. Saha gives us more pace, and more variety. So  overrall, I think we are better equipped than last season , even with our inability to bring in a defensive midfielder

Been on the ales, or a broken keyboard? ;)
A liar will not be believed, even when he speaks the truth.

Offline andrewzarb

• Kemlynite
« Reply #25 on: September 7, 2006, 12:15:23 am »
If your referring to my spelling hehe, ive just come back from a night out hehe and im exhausted. Instead of criticising my spelling, i would have preffered to recieve some ur feedback ;)
Maltese Manc.

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 7, 2006, 12:19:50 am »
I think Carrick needs an enforcer alongside him, and I don't think Saha will score anywhere near RvN, so I'm wondering where you think the missing goals will come from. You've always got goals from midfield, so I can't see how the addition of Carrick will improve that substantially.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2006, 12:22:05 am by zigackly »

Offline andrewzarb

• Kemlynite
« Reply #27 on: September 7, 2006, 12:22:12 am »
Yep, thats the failure im talking about, carrick needs someone like sissoko alongside to him to be effective. Saha will more than replace ruud, you wait and c
Maltese Manc.

Offline Captain Haddock

• No New Posts. Ever.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: September 7, 2006, 02:38:48 am »
That was a top read. I've always disliked it when fans can't acknowledge good players from other teams / rivals, but that article has good, balanced views.

My take on our rivals this season is that Chelsea have become unbalanced. I suspect that the Abramavich and Kenyon are sticking their oar in more than Maureen would like with more things going in behind the scenes than the club will admit. I'm not so sure that Shevchenko and Ballack, although good players, are quite what they need. The Gallas situation is just a debacle. Were it not the Cole transfer, I'd have written them off as overwhelming title favourites. 

Arsenal and the Mancs always surprise me. On paper neither of them look like the greatest tea but they continue pull out good performances. As the original poster has already pointed out, they both lack a bit of steel and drive in the middle of the park, which will no doubt be their downfall. For me, the big crunch this season in terms of the opposition, is whether we can beat Arsenal as we've really struggled against them over the last couple of years. The main challenge for us is whether we can gel as a team on the pitch. The players are all there, but can they come together to be real team, fluid in attack as well as defence etc?
« Last Edit: September 7, 2006, 02:42:22 am by Captain Haddock »

Offline theCanadian

• Potential grass
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 7, 2006, 04:32:34 am »
You bored or something Garstonite? You seem to be pumping out a quality article every single day the last week or so, if I'm not mistaken.

;D  :wave
Those who dwell, as scientists or laymen, among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. - Rachel Carson

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 7, 2006, 08:08:31 am »
You bored or something Garstonite? You seem to be pumping out a quality article every single day the last week or so, if I'm not mistaken.

;D  :wave

I haven't got a job, so I've nothing else to do, you see.

Offline jtswaniesaussie13

• Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: September 7, 2006, 08:14:47 am »
yeah...we win i say...we did better than all those 3.
are signings may have not been big shots but they are doing the job very well and derk kuyt is gonna be a star
MWOH

Offline Red-juvenated

• Legacy Fan
  • "Normal One"
« Reply #32 on: September 7, 2006, 12:16:08 pm »
Good read that, didnt realise our net spending was only 18M, felt a lot more considering the number of new players we have this season, and their quality. From your assessment of the other 3 teams, we certainly look best placed to have a strong campaign for the long haul this season.

Rafa does not 'rotate' players just for the sake of keeping them happy, he 'selects' the best combination for each game based on tactics, fitness and form, with consideration for the next game determining who needs recharging. This also helps keep everyone sharp & hungry, and enables him to play a 'fully fit' team every game.

Doubters to Believers

Offline Reds Turkish Delight

• Kopite
  • Form is temporary Class is permanate
« Reply #33 on: September 7, 2006, 12:52:39 pm »
Interesting read that. I believe that Liverpool have spent good money on players this season which has seriously improved the squad with pace and power. I believe that this has given us a serious opportunity to challenge for the premiership title this season. But, still the one thing that worries me is that if we rotate the squad over and over again this will stop the strikers getting into some consistent form and scoring 20 Goals this season meaning the burden of scoring goals will once again end up with Stevie Gerrard and he is not going to keep on pulling us from the brink of defeat.

Another interesting thought is how this squad will do in the champions league. If we have enough European experience to compete with the big boys later on in the competition.

But compared to other squads in the top four who have strengthened this summer Liverpool have done the best business.  ;)
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe that you are the best and then make sure that you are, in my time at Liverpool we always said we had the best two teams in Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves."

Offline StevieF

• Anny Roader
« Reply #34 on: September 7, 2006, 01:39:36 pm »
For me, the lack of genuine width at Arsenal and Chelsea could be significant.  Width is always an asset, but I think it will be especially so this season; there are quite a lot of strong, mid-table sides out there at the moment.  To beat these teams consistently, you are going to need to stretch things as much as possible.

To some extent Chelsea have the potential for width in Robben and Wright-Phillips, if he hasn't dissappeared of the planet entirely.  However, to accomodate Ballack they may have to play a very narrow style; we saw in the semi final last year how much that cost them.

As for Arsenal, a lack of width has never really been a problem, but that was at Highbury.  The Emirates Stadium has a much wider pitch and of their midfielders its only Hleb (who I think is a decent player) who is capable of hugging the touchlines.  Even he cuts inside a fair bit.

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 7, 2006, 02:10:01 pm »
To some extent Chelsea have the potential for width in Robben and Wright-Phillips, if he hasn't dissappeared of the planet entirely.  However, to accomodate Ballack they may have to play a very narrow style; we saw in the semi final last year how much that cost them.

They've got the personnel to make it work this season I think. A midfield quartet of Makelele, Essien, Ballack and Lampard is fantastic and it would free Ferreira to play right back, rather than Geremi. I don't think they will have much worry with regards to their system this season.

Offline zigackly

• ...is Cassius Clay
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 7, 2006, 02:14:25 pm »
They've got the personnel to make it work this season I think. A midfield quartet of Makelele, Essien, Ballack and Lampard is fantastic and it would free Ferreira to play right back, rather than Geremi. I don't think they will have much worry with regards to their system this season.

Excepting that the narrow diamond can be naturally prone to attacking width on the break. However, I'm not convinced that the narrow diamond we saw in last years FA Cup semi is what Mourinho will use in the most part. He seems to be using a 4-3-2 with a floating winger so far this season.

Offline StevieF

• Anny Roader
« Reply #37 on: September 7, 2006, 02:24:34 pm »

I'm not convinced.  On paper that sounds too congested to me.  In many games, sheer individual ability will get them through, but when they need an outlet, where do they turn to?  I guess Ashley Cole pushing on could help out, but if they are playing against a team with genuine width (us, Man United), then they could get stretched. 

I'm not suggesting that width is the be all and end all of a successful side.  You can get away without it; however, if you become really narrow then problems can occur.  Chelsea's midfield is still pretty bloody good - power, passing and goal scoring ability.  However, I wonder if it might become a little predictable.  I guess we'll see.  I certainly hope so!

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 7, 2006, 02:26:27 pm »
Excepting that the narrow diamond can be naturally prone to attacking width on the break. However, I'm not convinced that the narrow diamond we saw in last years FA Cup semi is what Mourinho will use in the most part. He seems to be using a 4-3-2 with a floating winger so far this season.

This will certainly be the case when Joe Cole is back from injury, anyway.

At times, it is just a very slightly altered 4-3-3, because Drogba, Kalou and Shevchenko all drift out to either wing throughout the course of a game.

Offline tomred

• yraelo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 7, 2006, 02:28:13 pm »