Author Topic: Trent Alexander-Arnold  (Read 1378163 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Trent Alexander-Arnold
« Reply #9920 on: September 26, 2022, 09:08:38 pm »
Northcroft another Times journo going in on Southgate just now. ;D

https://twitter.com/JNorthcroft/status/1574489457146970115

Good job Gareth didn't pick Trent Alexander-Arnold. Wouldn't want a player with 'defensive frailties' in this flawless team.

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
« Reply #9921 on: September 26, 2022, 09:08:47 pm »
The FA just want yes men as managers, regardless of their ability, I wasn't born at this time but everyone wanted Brian Clough as England manager to replace Don revie, but no they go for Ron Greenwood. Many years later everyone wanted Harry Redknapp to take over from Fabio Capello, but no they give it to Roy Hodgson yet another yes man, who was shit, who had us in the bloody relegation zone, before we sacked him after 6 months. The FA keep making the same mistakes because they just want yes men who won't rock the boat and their ability is last on the list. That's why we ain't won fuck all since 1966 world cup.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9922 on: September 26, 2022, 09:19:36 pm »
Finding it hard to care about this, it's not like he's being picked behind Luke Shaw. James and Walker are both proven at the top level, Trent's started the season in iffy form and Southgate wants someone more defensively inclined. It's not like Trent's been firing on all cylinders at international level anyway.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #9923 on: September 26, 2022, 09:22:48 pm »
Finding it hard to care about this, it's not like he's being picked behind Luke Shaw. James and Walker are both proven at the top level, Trent's started the season in iffy form and Southgate wants someone more defensively inclined. It's not like Trent's been firing on all cylinders at international level anyway.

James has been naff in his last few England performances, and he hasn't been playing that well himself recently. He is a long way behind Trent still despite being a good player.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9924 on: September 26, 2022, 09:23:19 pm »

The dickhead was forced into picking him when he was firing on all cylinders anyway.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #9925 on: September 26, 2022, 09:37:39 pm »
Does anyone really care if Trent gets picked for England? The less games he plays, the better for LFC. He's looked shot so far this season, 2 weeks rest sounds better than playing under that goon Southgate. Hopefully Trent has had time to mentally sort himself out and play to his previous high standards.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #9926 on: September 26, 2022, 09:51:27 pm »
Does anyone really care if Trent gets picked for England? The less games he plays, the better for LFC. He's looked shot so far this season, 2 weeks rest sounds better than playing under that goon Southgate. Hopefully Trent has had time to mentally sort himself out and play to his previous high standards.

pretty sure most Liverpool fans won’t care.

But it makes for good discussion during an international break, because it is genuinely bonkers, especially when you compare the preferential treatment Southgate gives a genuinely awful defender in Maguire.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9927 on: September 26, 2022, 09:57:00 pm »

No Liverpool fan should care.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9928 on: September 26, 2022, 10:15:01 pm »
Lots of articles carrying on tonight questioning his treatment of Trent. Fair enough, but where has this energy been over the last 4 years? They’ve waited until his form has dropped off to say all this.

Offline RedBec1993

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9929 on: September 26, 2022, 10:20:20 pm »
Lots of articles carrying on tonight questioning his treatment of Trent. Fair enough, but where has this energy been over the last 4 years? They’ve waited until his form has dropped off to say all this.

I know it sounds abit childish but his treatment of Trent has been unfair, seems to give every player a chance but reluctant to give him a chance. He deserves a lot more Trent, regardless of whether he started the season a bit iffy, he’s been almost flawless for about 4 years.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #9930 on: September 26, 2022, 10:22:03 pm »
Most Liverpool fans won’t care, but I suspect it bothers Trent quite a bit.

Hopefully he uses this to spur himself into some better form but it could also dent his already fragile confidence.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #9931 on: September 26, 2022, 10:24:19 pm »
Has Trent even played two consecutive games for England? Hard to show any form at international level when you’re rarely playing and clearly don’t have any trust from the manager.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline David Struhme

• Kopite
« Reply #9932 on: September 26, 2022, 10:26:08 pm »
Southgate has lost the plot.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9933 on: September 26, 2022, 10:28:27 pm »
Southgate has lost the plot.

Good. Amazing that after last season, our fans actually want our players to play more games.

Thiago, quite possibly the best midfielder in the world, isnt getting in the Spain squad. Should we care? Fuck no. He is still performing and so should Trent.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9934 on: September 26, 2022, 10:58:04 pm »
It does cause a bit of a problem when the ball is on the ground though.

The idea is to defend deep, have the other two centre backs tuck in. Then rein in the two full backs and have a double pivot in front of the back 5. In Southgate's head, he is trying to make the opposition cross in to the centre of the box. So lionheart Maguire can bravely head it sideways.

We have Southgate an old-fashioned limited stopper as manager setting up the team to protect Maguire.

The sad thing about International football is that pretty much every team is disjointed and lacks working attacking patterns of play, especially if they get a few injuries. So limited shit on a stick negative football can often get you into the latter stages of tournaments.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #9935 on: September 26, 2022, 11:01:45 pm »
Has Trent even played two consecutive games for England? Hard to show any form at international level when you’re rarely playing and clearly don’t have any trust from the manager.

It is reminiscent of Liam Brady not getting games for the ROI under Charlton.

Southgate and Charlton want a functional, simple system that panders to the less talented players.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9936 on: September 26, 2022, 11:38:37 pm »
I can understand if Southgate's system is so cautious that he doesn't think Trent will work within it so he won't be first choice, but what I can't understand is why he doesn't even want him in the squad as a different option, someone to change things when they need to be more attacking. Surely the point of a squad is to have a variety of options, not just a load of similar players for the same positions.

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #9937 on: September 26, 2022, 11:51:13 pm »

I would guess Trent probably cares as does his wallet.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #9938 on: September 27, 2022, 12:23:02 am »
I've no idea how much Trent cares, but I couldn't give a monkeys. I'm biased though, because I have no interest in Ingurland or international football.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #9939 on: September 27, 2022, 04:32:41 am »
No Liverpool fan should care.

It’d be great if he got left out of the squad and had time to recover, be back firing all guns in January.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline naYoRHa2b

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9940 on: September 27, 2022, 06:38:33 am »
Trent has been really below the levels he's set in recent seasons. I don't really care if he plays for England or not, but I do think it's out of order to call someone up and not even put them on the bench, twice. That time could of been spent with the coaching staff at the training ground.

It seems more personal to me.

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
« Reply #9941 on: September 27, 2022, 09:57:20 am »
Of course not. But clearly it is damaging for a player in a dip. It's also frankly insulting to LFC that such an average FB as James without a fraction of his talent, is keeping him out the side because apparently he can 'defend'. He didn't look so hot last night.

Ideally what LFC fans want is TAA to get picked, score a screamer and provide an assist in the first half, then sub himself off, flicking Vs to the rest of the England squad and then listening on the radio as he drives home, to England conceding 3 goals without reply in the second half.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline jedimaster

• Kopite
« Reply #9942 on: September 27, 2022, 09:59:14 am »
It doesn't make any sense to me, even looking at it from Southgate's point of view. Yes, England are weak and lack pace in central defence, so go ahead and play Walker or James in a 4-3-3 who are more defensive minded and pacy and can cover the weakness in central defence. But if you are going 3-5-2, then Trent seems to fit that perfectly. The wing back doesn't have as many defensive responsibilities and can get forward and be more creative. You need creativity from that position as you are playing so many defensive minded players.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 10:01:59 am by jedimaster »
We do beg your pardon, but we are in your garden

Online Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9943 on: September 27, 2022, 10:20:03 am »
It doesn't make any sense to me, even looking at it from Southgate's point of view. Yes, England are weak and lack pace in central defence, so go ahead and play Walker or James in a 4-3-3 who are more defensive minded and pacy and can cover the weakness in central defence. But if you are going 3-5-2, then Trent seems to fit that perfectly. The wing back doesn't have as many defensive responsibilities and can get forward and be more creative. You need creativity from that position as you are playing so many defensive minded players.

It's Southgate. Common sense out of the window.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9944 on: September 27, 2022, 10:25:52 am »
If he doesn't pick Trent on form, then how can you put Maguire in. Its not even like he's performed well for England everytime he's called upon so at what point is it personal?

If the argument is Trent's defensive form is poor at the moment, then thats negated with 5 at the back and Walker RCB covering him surely? How can you be a football manager on millions per year and have Trippier ahead of this generational talent in the pecking order.

Southgate is a tit.

Offline Persephone

• Legacy Fan
  • Who ate all the bloody Pringles?
« Reply #9945 on: September 27, 2022, 10:32:49 am »
Most Liverpool fans won’t care, but I suspect it bothers Trent quite a bit.

Hopefully he uses this to spur himself into some better form but it could also dent his already fragile confidence.
I'm sure he does, every kid dreams of playing in the WC and leading their country to glory. However as LFC supporters I don't think the majority of us are unhappy that he isn't being picked, less chance of him being injured and burnt out.

Southgate is absolutely playing favourites at this point but that's his prerogative and he'll live or die by his decisions. Meanwhile we can be happy that Mo and possibly Trent can go on holiday rather than be hacked by defenders in that slavery built fluffer of a tournament.
I’ve plenty links to the clubs playing and backroom staff as many on here know thank you very much. Fair enough, I admire your optimism. But you’re absolute ostriches if you think this squad, even with 2 or 3 new, “cut price” players with potential get us anywhere close

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #9946 on: September 27, 2022, 10:39:03 am »
James made a mistake that led to the third Germany goal.  It hasn't been mentioned ANYWHERE, not even on commentary.  Yet if Trent had been playing and did the same thing it'd be back page headlines.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #9947 on: September 27, 2022, 10:53:41 am »
James made a mistake that led to the third Germany goal.  It hasn't been mentioned ANYWHERE, not even on commentary.  Yet if Trent had been playing and did the same thing it'd be back page headlines.
It's confirmation bias, and is absolutely rife in the English media. It was the same with Salah when he was accused of diving - they look for every opportunity to continue the narrative no matter how tenuous, as they know it stokes the tribalist response and drives social media clicks.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9948 on: September 27, 2022, 10:58:44 am »

Yep, as he often does, he's cost Chelsea time and time again, often in huge games but there's not a word, in fact he's seemingly considered a rock defensively, it's bizarre.

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9949 on: September 27, 2022, 10:59:51 am »
Walker also cost England against Italy but not a peep.

I guess Trent is just in the limelight for being abused and the media recognise that so jump on it too. Horrible.

Offline Adams83

• Main Stander
« Reply #9950 on: September 27, 2022, 11:02:31 am »
If I was the manager and wanted to play the tactics/style that Southgate wants I wouldn't play Trent either. He's not the player for that sort of team.

Now if England should be playing with these tactics is another discussion. Seems a waste with so many good young technical players.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #9951 on: September 27, 2022, 11:02:47 am »
Good. Amazing that after last season, our fans actually want our players to play more games.

Thiago, quite possibly the best midfielder in the world, isnt getting in the Spain squad. Should we care? Fuck no. He is still performing and so should Trent.

I think you've got yourself a little muddled.

I dont think anyone particularly wants our players to play for their national teams that much, particularly under the likes of Southgate. It doesn't mean its not up for debate about why on earth he's taken two of our players for seemingly absolutely fuck all reason, particularly Trent who he has singled out before. You're not in a minority of being happy when they dont play :)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9952 on: September 27, 2022, 11:07:42 am »
Walker also cost England against Italy but not a peep.

I guess Trent is just in the limelight for being abused and the media recognise that so jump on it too. Horrible.
It's because Trent is a world superstar. It comes with the territory. I've never heard James or Walker's names mentioned in Europe or South America. It's always Trent because he's seen as the best.

Offline an fear dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9953 on: September 27, 2022, 11:13:00 am »
Trent to come back from his 2 week break and start ripping teams apart. A big fat fcuk you Southgate. Can only be to our benefit.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9954 on: September 27, 2022, 11:35:46 am »
Whilst I hope he doesnt go, all is not lost. Whilst we are almost in October and the World Cup starts in November, there are a shit tonne of games before that so if he plays well, he will be back in. James also gets injured a bit so there still is a big chance.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #9955 on: September 27, 2022, 01:32:51 pm »
He's going to get called up for the world cup squad. Southgate gets 26 players in his squad. Even if he is so stubborn and adamant about the way he plays and who gets in, there is no way Trent does not make that list of 26.

The biggest issue is him travelling all that way, going through all those training sessions and then only ever sitting on the bench.

Every Liverpool fan should be shrugging their shoulders, keeping their fingers crossed he doesn't get injured and that England get eliminated in the group stages after Wales spank them in the final game :P. But there is no way Trent wants that.

He always seems to be very proud when talking about playing for England. Good for the endorsements and sponsors etc. 

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9956 on: September 27, 2022, 01:37:06 pm »
He's going to get called up for the world cup squad. Southgate gets 26 players in his squad. Even if he is so stubborn and adamant about the way he plays and who gets in, there is no way Trent does not make that list of 26.

The biggest issue is him travelling all that way, going through all those training sessions and then only ever sitting on the bench.

Every Liverpool fan should be shrugging their shoulders, keeping their fingers crossed he doesn't get injured and that England get eliminated in the group stages after Wales spank them in the final game :P. But there is no way Trent wants that.

He always seems to be very proud when talking about playing for England. Good for the endorsements and sponsors etc.

Yeah I think he'll be included in the 26 man squad, but play nothing. Maybe the dead rubber 3rd group game if England are already qualified.

Offline Lynndenberries

• Not iste björksmak
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sun don't shine in the shade
« Reply #9957 on: September 27, 2022, 02:08:12 pm »
Given the outrage, he will end up in the World Cup squad. Didn't this happen ahead of the Euros?
I love mankind; it's people I can't stand.

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9958 on: September 27, 2022, 02:08:50 pm »
Given the outrage, he will end up in the World Cup squad. Didn't this happen ahead of the Euros?

Yep he was selected but had to pull out because of an injury in the friendlies ahead of the tournament.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9959 on: September 27, 2022, 02:39:31 pm »

100%.