Author Topic: The Automatic Cup Scheme next season in light of recent comments from Ian Ayre  (Read 8908 times)

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
No doubt about it mate - after Ayre's statements any new manager would be keeping his best 18 players fresh and fit for the league campaign each Saturday/Sunday to try and finish in the CL places to save his job - whilst the Europa, FA Cup and League games will make do with reserves and kids. As said elsewhere, the club will no doubt be slashing the prices on last season's ticket prices for the Cups this year...

Pricing will be based on the opposition as usual. If we get a September Carling Cup tie between Liverpool ressies and Man Utd ressies then don't expect to pay very much below normal prices.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
Presents me with a problem this. Missed out on the 3 Wembley trips last season so told my lad I'd enrol our tickets in the Auto-cup scheme next season.
 Problem for me is I work an evening shift every other week so I don't really want to be stuck with tickets I can't use or get rid of. Plus as others have mentioned any incoming manager is going to be reluctant to field our strongest side if it will compromise our league position.
 It's just a fucking joke really like most things surrounding our club these days.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
Didnt Rafa take these cups less seriously? I remember losing a Carling Cup QF to Chelsea when Rafa threw out the reserve side. What Ayre is saying is something that Rafa thought as well but he didnt say it publicily.We didnt even reach a semifinal after we won the fa cup in 2006. Thats 8 domestic cups and no semifinal ( and only 1 QF appearance iirc).  But we did finish runner-up both in the european cup and the league.

Offline jeremyh94

• Anny Roader
Presents me with a problem this. Missed out on the 3 Wembley trips last season so told my lad I'd enrol our tickets in the Auto-cup scheme next season.
 Problem for me is I work an evening shift every other week so I don't really want to be stuck with tickets I can't use or get rid of. Plus as others have mentioned any incoming manager is going to be reluctant to field our strongest side if it will compromise our league position.
 It's just a fucking joke really like most things surrounding our club these days.

It's not a fucking joke at all. One quote of Ian Ayre has been blown out of all proportion and you like others choose to read the worst into it.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
Didnt Rafa take these cups less seriously? I remember losing a Carling Cup QF to Chelsea when Rafa threw out the reserve side. What Ayre is saying is something that Rafa thought as well but he didnt say it publicily.We didnt even reach a semifinal after we won the fa cup in 2006. Thats 8 domestic cups and no semifinal ( and only 1 QF appearance iirc).  But we did finish runner-up both in the european cup and the league.

It could be that after Athens in 2007 the G&H money situation started to play it's part on investment in the squad and Rafa 'settled' (for want of a better word) on going for the League and CL. He did get to the Lge Cup final in '05 and won the FA in '06 - yet still got blasted by the press at the time for 'disrespecting the cups'.

^ I think I remembered that correctly - apologies if wrong , it seems a lifetime ago now...
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

That was the point I made before. Most who are saying they won't go now probably went back then with no issues.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
It could be that after Athens in 2007 the G&H money situation started to play it's part on investment in the squad and Rafa 'settled' (for want of a better word) on going for the League and CL. He did get to the Lge Cup final in '05 and won the FA in '06 - yet still got blasted by the press at the time for 'disrespecting the cups'.

^ I think I remembered that correctly - apologies if wrong , it seems a lifetime ago now...

The fact that we rested players with even with a better squad  than the one we have now is all we need to know to realize that the league should be our priority.

Offline 81a

• From Speke to Bootle via Broad Green. All aboard!
  • Legacy Fan
That was the point I made before. Most who are saying they won't go now probably went back then with no issues.

They wil go again if Rafa is in charge.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
It's not a fucking joke at all. One quote of Ian Ayre has been blown out of all proportion and you like others choose to read the worst into it.

This is true. Also, the idea that people don't buy matches for cup games, does nothing to solve the problem and only makes the cups seem even less important to the owners. I don't see how that helps.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline GeCk0

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Anything coming out of the club now is just jumped on and exaggerated to suit the negative position you're all in.  I'm as upset at Kenny going as anyone else, but Ayre's comments simply implied that Kenny was sacked because of league form.  Doesn't mean anything else to any new manager and us boycotting the cups games is as ridiculous as assuming he new manager will completely disregard them and make them meaningless.  Get a grip.

This might be one of the most levelheaded comments I've seen on here all day.

People need to chill out a little bit. A review was made of the season and, I am sure, the recent history of the club and it was decided by those in charge that something drastic needed to be done to help move this club forward, hence the clearout. Just like the proverbial phoenix, with destruction comes new birth of something greater and stronger and I think that is the goal of this summer.  Just like with the mythos of the phoenix, a stable pyre needed to be created with which to light the flame and bring in the transition and Kenny (our symbol of stability) was the one who built it. It is a crap job, but necessary.

I don't think Ian Ayre ever said (or meant to say) that the club is all about money. What I think he is trying to get at is that we need the club to be performing at a high level to generate the revenue that will help sustain the club at a high level. A drop in form will result in a drop in revenue and that will ultimately lead to the creation of a mountain to climb when FFP eventually gets phased in. Thus we need the moneystream to help sustain the form. I don't see the problem in that. It is truthful.

Offline MazzaRed

• Kopite
Well, if we do get another final then maybe Ian Ayre will be chucking his allocation of tickets back into the fans pot - maybe even the sponsors allocation too?

Though as the club have devalued the importance of competing for and winning the FA and Carling Cups - I'd expect a serious reduction in ticket prices from last year.

We won't be getting to a final, cos we wont be trying...remember!
Roman....if ever you're skint.....
                                              ......we've got 6 Euro's !