Author Topic: David Bowie Has Died - RIP Starman  (Read 30987 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Re: David Bowie Has Died - RIP Starman
« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2016, 09:26:18 am »
nice post flashing blade

I still cant believe this, i wasnt like a mega fan or anything but its just sad

you couldnt hate bowie.

its going to be one of them moments youll always remember where you were when it happened

"nagh I dont like David Bowie, his music was never great"

Said nobody ever!
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline IanZG

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2016, 09:41:26 am »

Brilliant, thanks for writing this :wave

Been in a pretty crap mood since I heard the news, but hearing other people's thoughts and memories of Bowie helps a lot...

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2016, 09:48:14 am »
For many of us mourning Bowie is also a process of realising our own mortality, someone who was so influential in so many aspects of our lives has grown old and died aged 69, someone so entwined with our youth, who gave us hope in awkward times is gone forever.

That's a brilliant read, and the last line is the sucker punch of truth, and that's why I was sat up late last night drinking on a school night, playing Bowie videos and sobbing on the sofa. We're in his wake. 

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2016, 10:03:37 am »
Bowie was an odd musician for me.  He was just... there.  A part of the cultural furniture.  I never bought his albums, never went out of my way to listen to him.  But I never heard a song of his that I didn't dislike.  He was always there, in the background.  Whether it was Star Man, Major Tom, Let's Dance, etc - it seemed every single piece of music he produced was iconic in some form.

The only Bowie song I ever bought was When the Wind Blows; his vocals are mind blowing.  He could make something so beautiful and bittersweet with that incredible voice of his.

I've been quite teary-eyed off and on the past 24 hours or so.  I'd kept offline yesterday morning so I didn't actually find out until a friend I met for lunch told me about 1pm.  I was gobsmacked.  Couldn't help but think of the gif I'd shared on here only a few days ago (which has since gone viral). 

I've been crying, not so much because I was a huge fan, but because I know so many other people were devoted to him, and I recognise this is such a huge huge loss for British culture and music globally. 

What I've noticed listening to the albums shared on here - and bear in mind, I've never actually listened to any Bowie album before yesterday - is how pleasant and easy on the ear they are.  I've not even really paid attention to the lyrics - just been carried along by the melodies like I'm drifting in a boat on some warm summer's river.  I realise that it's the kind of music that will pull you under and overwhelm you with subtleties.

I'm looking forward to exploring it a bit more.  I'm clearly not going to immediately march out and buy every single album, but I do feel rather fortunate I have all that to look forward to. 

And just for funsies...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ZvyNOg4jSRg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ZvyNOg4jSRg</a>
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Zeppelin

• Funds hate.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hammer of the Gods
« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2016, 11:51:36 am »
Just been listening to the new album - I wish I heard it before I knew he had died, as I'm not sure if I'm listening with rose tinted ears now - but it's really good. It seems to be full of references to his impending death and isn't an easy listen, but it will stand as a good memorial to him and a fine legacy. I'm not a Bowie mega-fan but have always liked his music and he is one of those musicians who you never seem to find anyone who actually dislikes his stuff. In terms of his influence, he's probably the biggest loss since John Lennon and it was such a shock as he kept his illness secret.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2016, 12:33:23 pm »
I find it odd to think that my daughter will know of Bowie in the same way I know of someone like Elvis or John Lennon - in some ways an historical figure who passed on before her time and left a legacy, rather than someone 'current' and around. And more will likely pass before she's old enough to understand how sad it is.

One day I will have to explain so many heroes and personal favourites to her - Bowie, Mayall, Mel Smith, Leslie Nielsen.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 12:42:03 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2016, 12:48:51 pm »
Apparently this is the last photograph of David Bowie, taken by his wife on his birthday.

Popcorn's Art

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #208 on: January 12, 2016, 12:54:31 pm »
Macca and Dylan are the only two that are left of that generation who are alongside with Bowie true giants of 21'st century music. The next wave after that includes Prince and Springsteen as real heavy hitters. After them, there really isnt anyone as big. Certainly Bowie is the one most universally loved because all of the aforementioned have their devoted detractors. Bowie, just didnt have that.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2016, 12:58:56 pm »
I'd say Bowie is bigger than McCartney, at least in 21st Century music.  Not to say Paul hasn't had his moments but David just seems to have carried on and on, always pushing, despite producing fewer albums.

Popcorn's Art

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2016, 02:13:55 pm »
I'd say Bowie is bigger than McCartney, at least in 21st Century music.  Not to say Paul hasn't had his moments but David just seems to have carried on and on, always pushing, despite producing fewer albums.
Well yeah, no one matches Bowie for artistic endeavour over as long a career, Prince, has him beat for output though, but his records now seem to fly by with little fanfare while Bowie's albums have always been events. Dylan's album releases are still a big deal and he has been very prolific, I'm not much of a Dylan fan so can't really comment on the quality, can't say I've tuned in much to what Macca has been at either, but he like Dylan remain incredibly active for their ages.

The original point however was Macca and Dylan are the only two giants of that era left and when they go, that will be it. Bowie's death has brought about that sad realisation, even though I was born in the mid-80's and reared in the 90's, the music made in the 60's and 70's casts a long shadow.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #211 on: January 12, 2016, 02:52:43 pm »
Rick Wakeman Life On Mars piano tribute

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03f8qql?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_radio_2&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=radio_and_music

That's really touching. For those maybe too young to know, Wakeman played piano on the Hunky Dory album.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Musketeer Gripweed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: January 12, 2016, 03:01:44 pm »
I got into Bowie when I was really young, it helped having an older sister whose records I could "borrow." (I still have them, 36 years later :))

Only problem was I only liked the catchy songs from Hunky Dory, Ziggy and Aladdin Sane and was a bit too young to appreciate the Berlin records and the more grown up albums he recorded in the 70's. I love them now, but only really since online streaming came about.

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: January 12, 2016, 03:15:45 pm »
1972, two questions as we tried to suss each other out in our new school, are you a Red or a Blue who you into Slade, T Rex or Bowie?
That belongs in the aul arse thread, too. You should put it in there, Albie mate. Stones or Beatles, Mod or Rocker, Red or Blue, Bowie or Slade, Is There Life on Mars... the questions of our generation. And without this man's influence, well, The Clash, The Pistols, Talking Heads, Beck, things would have turned out, and sounded, a lot different, for the following generations.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #214 on: January 12, 2016, 03:59:20 pm »
This last album that Bowie released a few days ago. it's haunting, tragic, poetic, melancholic and utterly mesmerizing.
A masterpiece from the afterlife.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: January 12, 2016, 04:32:42 pm »
Amazing how many people his music touched. Even my 13 year old son was affected as was my Mum. His influence touched several generations and just listening to Lazarus proves that he still had it even at 69.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: January 12, 2016, 04:33:26 pm »
I'm interested in whether anyone under the age of (say) 30 thinks that their generation has someone who they will remember having as big an influence on their youth as my generation has had with Bowie?  My assumption is 'no', but then I suspect that my parents' generation underestimated the impact that the likes of Bowie were having on my generation. 

Thoughts from any of the younger crowd?  Is there a Bowie for your generation? 

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: January 12, 2016, 04:39:51 pm »
I'm interested in whether anyone under the age of (say) 30 thinks that their generation has someone who they will remember having as big an influence on their youth as my generation has had with Bowie?  My assumption is 'no', but then I suspect that my parents' generation underestimated the impact that the likes of Bowie were having on my generation. 

The answer is probably people like Lennon, Bowie, Mercury, Madonna, Morrissey as well as Ed Sheeran etc. The one advantage younger people have over our generation is access to all the music ever made, because of the internet. Therefore a lot of kids these days will listen to Oasis alongside The Beatles and think nothing of it.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: January 12, 2016, 04:54:03 pm »
Well yeah, no one matches Bowie for artistic endeavour over as long a career, Prince, has him beat for output though, but his records now seem to fly by with little fanfare while Bowie's albums have always been events. Dylan's album releases are still a big deal and he has been very prolific, I'm not much of a Dylan fan so can't really comment on the quality, can't say I've tuned in much to what Macca has been at either, but he like Dylan remain incredibly active for their ages.

The original point however was Macca and Dylan are the only two giants of that era left and when they go, that will be it. Bowie's death has brought about that sad realisation, even though I was born in the mid-80's and reared in the 90's, the music made in the 60's and 70's casts a long shadow.

You're not wrong.

I think Macca has been more involved with stage music and the like in recent years?  Could be wrong.  Certainly a feather in his cap but Bowie has always stayed true to his band musician roots as well as stage productions

Popcorn's Art

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: January 12, 2016, 05:15:48 pm »
Apparently this is the last photograph of David Bowie, taken by his wife on his birthday.

What a lovely picture. Looks like a contented man with no regrets. And a stylish bastard to the end.

This last album that Bowie released a few days ago. it's haunting, tragic, poetic, melancholic and utterly mesmerizing.
A masterpiece from the afterlife.

+1, based on a couple of listens through. Mesmerizing indeed.
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline campioni

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: January 12, 2016, 05:52:36 pm »

I was talking about this with my wife last night. BBC 1 interrupted their prime time tv schedule to put on a live half hour tribute to Bowie, 6 music did a fantastic job of basically dedicating the whole day to Bowie and I'm sure loads of other tv and radio stations around the world were (and still are) going through the Bowie back catalogue in tribute.

Who else in the world of music will get this sort of tribute when they die? The only other British one I can think of is Paul McCartney.

Its difficult to see any of the young generation of musicians have the longevity or type of impact on things outside of music as Bowie had. I think a massive part of that is down to the way we access music and all other forms of media. Everything now is at the click of a button, and there is a lot more out there to choose from, although whether the quality is any better is highly debatable.

There are some great posts in here about people remembering how they started listening to Bowie or even how they didn't think they were Bowie fans but he was always in the background. People heard brothers or sisters listening to Bowie and fancied what they were hearing or they saw him on totp and this 'thing' that looked very different to anything else had them intrigued to go out and buy an album and most likely play the vinyl until it was worn out!

Nowadays I think people move from albums and artists on to the next one in a heartbeat without giving it too much thought. They'll come back to it if they really like it but there's that much choice out there with people filling ipods with thousands of albums, I don't think music albums and artists have the same impact on young people in the way that Bowie, The Beatles and a few other artists did in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

Apologies for the rambling, this was part of the conversation I had last night while listening to Marc Riley's brilliant show on 6 music with a few beers. But in answer to your question, I don't think there will be a Bowie of this generation.

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: January 12, 2016, 06:04:39 pm »
I suppose the only Brits other than McCartney that have had a large influence musically are people like Jagger/Richards, Pete Townsend or Eric Clapton maybe, Elton John possibly and then more low profile types like Roger Waters and Dave Gilmour of Pink Floyd or Jimmy Page and Robert Plant of led Zep. But realistically, only Macca is in the same league as Bowie.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #222 on: January 12, 2016, 06:39:11 pm »
Mods - Can this thread be moved to media and arts, where discussion on Bowie can be developed? Or I can start a new thread 'Bowie - Starman', but I'd like these tributes in it?

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: January 12, 2016, 07:08:57 pm »
Item Marked as Dispatched.. Shipped: Blackstar - David Bowie Vinyl LP.

Phew. Fingers crossed it comes.

So I've just heard Bowie is dead, and I've uploaded Blackstar on Spotify to take in the car with me on the way to work. It's dark, it's a bit wet (like every fucking day), and I'm thinking, he knew. Look at that album cover man - he knew. And nobody else did. That would be so Bowie... SO fucking Bowie. A day and a half later, I'm thinking it's one of the great deaths. If it was a fairly decent album, it would be a great death, but it's a fantastic album. I'm very jealous of anyone who listened to the album before his death tho. Did you wonder, those that did?

'Lazarus' started on my way in to work at some point. I stayed in the car park for the end. It's still dark, it's still wet. Yeah, he knew. It's fucking brilliant David. I was just delighted that he signed off like this - it's perfect. I stayed for 'Sue'. 'Sue' is magnificent. Those almost Steve Albini guitars and that soft as silk sax. My speakers are not loud enough. Then I turned it off. Work head. I didn't want to work, I wanted to listen to Bowie.

Occasionally, during lunch, I can get on a computer. I wanted to buy the album. Surely Rough Trade have it. Website was sloooow. Sold Out. Rough Trade had (and may well still have) a nice touch going where all monies accrued thru Bowie purchases goes to cancer research uk. So now I was doubly annoyed. I searched a bit more, all sold out. Ebay seemed to be going like the clappers. Bought one from America - that's why I have my fingers crossed (have bought from USA before mind). Free postage (?!) £25 roughly. At the time I bought it, 13 had been sold - now 350 have. I have my fingers crossed. I want that album.

I have four Bowie albums, Hunky Dory, Ziggy Stardust, Low and Heroes. I'm going thru his entire back catalogue on Spotify, from beginning to end, as I'm sure are thousands of others. Have had some moments. Dancing with my 5 year old son was memorable. I was describing him and what had happened, and he asked, 'of cancer?'. Am up to Aladdin Sane.

There were a number of moments where volume notch 11 have been required, but 'Life on Mars' needed a 12. So so many thoughts come into your mind about Bowie - impossible to write it all down.

Went searching for one particular pic I used to love of Bowie with Andy Warhol and someone else, but can't find it... found a good one tho that I hadn't seen:

.. and one that we all have:

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: January 12, 2016, 07:21:10 pm »
Mods - Can this thread be moved to media and arts, where discussion on Bowie can be developed? Or I can start a new thread 'Bowie - Starman', but I'd like these tributes in it?

Start a new thread for discussion. I moved it here because it's a major news story and might have been missed in media & arts. You can quote the best tributes in the new thread and we can always merge at a suitable moment.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2016, 08:29:09 pm »
Is there any context behind him having never been knighted?  Not that it matters, but it's an odd one.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: January 12, 2016, 08:31:24 pm »
Nowadays I think people move from albums and artists on to the next one in a heartbeat without giving it too much thought. They'll come back to it if they really like it but there's that much choice out there with people filling ipods with thousands of albums, I don't think music albums and artists have the same impact on young people in the way that Bowie, The Beatles and a few other artists did in the 60's, 70's and 80's.

I agree with that.  It's the "pornographication" of music, I think.  People download and then discard so much music so quickly that none of it ever really has a lasting impact on them.  Indeed, it isn't designed to do so anymore, I suspect.  It's a shame really, but music has ceased to be one of the vehicles through which "subversion" helps culture evolve.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: January 12, 2016, 08:31:43 pm »
Is there any context behind him having never been knighted?  Not that it matters, but it's an odd one.

He was offered a knighthood but turned it down.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #229 on: January 12, 2016, 08:38:18 pm »

He wanted a Duchy.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: January 12, 2016, 08:39:46 pm »
He was offered a knighthood but turned it down.

I love him even more now.  Thanks for that.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #231 on: January 12, 2016, 09:01:36 pm »
His acting career might have been, well, uneven, but I'll hold to the very end the opinion that he was fucking excellent as Nikola Tesla in The Prestige.
A slightly mad, mysterious scientist whose ideas might change the world but leaves the locals bemused and scared, but is still acts as a guide for other visionaries?  Yep, you could say the role was made for him.

I doff my hat(s) at his performance.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: January 12, 2016, 09:07:51 pm »
I remember in the 90's when he was being interviewed about his painting - that he said, something like, 'I really love Expressionism [am assuming he meant the German version and not the American one] ... you can get away with murder.'

Fucks sake David, you can't say that! ;D

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: January 12, 2016, 11:02:00 pm »

The original point however was Macca and Dylan are the only two giants of that era left and when they go, that will be it.
I'd say Elton John and Billy Joel get in as well

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #234 on: January 12, 2016, 11:21:37 pm »

I'm 28 so I just about qualify.

And no, not really. I think there are some great and talented musicians out there, some of whom are innovative and creative and some of whom have huge appeal. But, in my opinion, music simply hasn't moved forward in the last 20 years or so in the way it did between, say, 1967 and 1987. I will be very interested to see who is still considered 'relevant' in 20 years from now, and 40 etc.

Of the last 20 years, the "big" names (and I'm not saying any of these are objectively good/bad etc, just going for impact on popular music etc) allowing for the fact that people have varied tastes are probably: Eminem, Radiohead, Kanye West, U2, Jay Z, Damon Albarn/Gorillaz/Blur, Oasis, Beyonce/Destiny's Child, Beck, Muse, Nirvana/Kurt Cobain/Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Taylor Swift, Ed Sheeran, Lady Gaga, Guns N Roses and Arcade Fire. I'm not including boy/girl bands because they're not creative (i.e. they don't write their own songs) and it's a little superficial. Similarly whilst for example Adele is enormously popular and a perfectly good singer/songwriter, I don't think she's doing anything new.

I think plenty of the above are good but none have the same legendary status that Bowie has and none will reach his heights.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:29:58 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: January 12, 2016, 11:29:06 pm »

This isn't right.

The photographs were taken by Photographer Jimmy King, not David Bowies Wife.

Offline edge

• hill, getting off at...with a dijk still hard...
  • Legacy Fan
  • allright, then..
« Reply #236 on: January 12, 2016, 11:31:00 pm »
The video for Lazarus is just incredible when you consider the circumstances. First time I've cried watching a music video. It's like he knew, and used it to make a final great piece of art.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/y-JqH1M4Ya8" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/y-JqH1M4Ya8</a>

Never had the chance to see him live, nor to really get into his vast works as i've only started to discover him piece by piece in the last few years. Always heard the hits, but the more I hear, the more I get the sense that this passing is more significant than I maybe realised at first. Doesn't help that he went on my birthday either..

Rest in peace, David Bowie.

Offline BlackandWhitePaul

• Principled Newcastle fan- who gave up following his team rather than support Saudi takeover
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: January 12, 2016, 11:31:09 pm »
I'd say Elton John and Billy Joel get in as well
And Rod Stewart.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: January 13, 2016, 01:41:38 am »

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: January 13, 2016, 12:30:51 pm »
This isn't right.

The photographs were taken by Photographer Jimmy King, not David Bowies Wife.

Well I did say "apparently" ;)

Popcorn's Art