Author Topic: David Bowie Has Died - RIP Starman  (Read 30912 times)

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
Re: David Bowie Has Died - RIP Starman
« Reply #160 on: January 11, 2016, 06:35:42 pm »
About a year or so ago my missus asked me to come along to a night out with her friends and partners , to a Bowie tribute gig, ok I said , but I’m not a Bowie fan really, it was a cracking gig and afterwards I said to my missus, I’m not a Bowie fan, but I sang along to every song tonight…

As a young teenager I was a fan of all pop music and always watched Top of the Pops ( as did everyone)…. watched it for years and one moment stands about above all others….Mick Ronson and Bowie, singing together on Star man..Ronson sashays over to Bowie who leans a nonchalant arm on his shoulder…but the thing was , they were  a little too close…are they going to .....kiss!!?..( it looks harmless now..and had been referred to on TV and Newspapers today , but trust me it was an Earthquake.) ...it was the talk of the school …I’ve always said it was the moment ( musically ) the sixties ended and the seventies began, even more than seeing my favourite punk groups , it was the single most memorable moment on TOTP.

Bowie was the one who made everyone who felt awkward and different think...its ok..there are cooler people that are different...but saying that everyone seemed to be into Bowie….everyone had a Bowie LP…despite the androgynous look, even the hard lads where Bowie fans…I wasn’t  a ‘fan’ but you couldn’t get away from his music….or him…

When Punk/New Wave happened, it was year zero for me and those like me, all the old groups and artists their time was over and were unacceptable to us, but a few where given passes, Lemmy for one…and Bowie?...it wasn’t even in question, from Siouxsie to Joy Division everyone cited Bowie as an influence….I have at home a piece of paper , nearly 40 years old, whereupon the 16 year old FlashingBlade  has written my top ten tracks of 1977…everyone a punk classic, bar one…Heroes.

The Berlin years where the best for me , not just his own work but his collaberations..and let me say at this point Heroes despite its ubiquitous use for sporting events and trite backdrop to TV adverts has never lost its power, beauty and otherness …..

I never bought Bowie records, but I bought  Iggy Pops ‘the Idiot’..Banshees records…Joy Division records ..Associates records…Human League Records…etc. ..etc.. all citing Bowie as their influence…not the Beatles or the Stones. And it moved on and on …every now and then a new artists….another ‘Bowie’ influenced artist.

Bowie , is and probably will forever be the most significant influential individual popular musical artist  Britain , no…. Europe!..has ever  produced in the post war years (I don’t include the Beatles as they were a different phenomenon in many ways)…and more than just music he was a cultural  Icon.

I have for the past forty years, when the subject came up, said, I was not a ‘Bowie Fan’… I suspect because I had all these othe groups I was passionate about…but Bowie was always there …in the music and culture...Im not a fan of Bowie..Im a product of Bowie. When Heroes came on the car radio this morning, I couldn’t  hold back the tears….you have been part of my life for 40 odd years and I didn’t realise it.

Mates in their fifties who have shed tears today over his passing, because he meant so much to them in their youth….but there are those in their forties, thirties, and probably twenties who feel the same, this I feel says everything about his life and career.

Sat in front of the TV watching TOTP all those years ago… thousands of  Dad’s ask dumbfounded “ Is that a boy or a girl?”…. Thousands of teenagers reply “ Its Dave Bowie!!”…..Millions around the world will watch the TV today and no one will need to ask is he a boy or a girl…because everyone knows who he is …The Starman... Ziggy Stardust…Alladin Sane…The Thin White Duke…Dave Bowie.

One by one the stars are going out…..
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 09:17:25 pm by FlashingBlade »

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #161 on: January 11, 2016, 07:16:11 pm »
Boss post FB...hats off

Marc Riley's show started as emotionally as I thought it would, he was/is a huge devotee of Bowie....will be surprised if he holds it together for the duration of the show....an essential listen though
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #162 on: January 11, 2016, 07:18:42 pm »
Thanks Flashingblade. Beautifully put.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: January 11, 2016, 07:20:26 pm »
Great post FB.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Filler.

• Up. resurrected. Keeps his Kath in a cage, but not sure if the new baby is in there as well. Studying for a Masters in Semiotics.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #164 on: January 11, 2016, 07:31:57 pm »
What a sad sad day. Like everyone else I'm sure, was really knocked back when I got a Guardian app news alert on my phone getting ready for work this morning. Didn't seem right at all. Had meant to listen to Blackstar over the weekend but didn't manage to, but it's a superb album. My god, what a gaping hole. I only have these 3 minutes to write anything, but still can't get my head around it.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #165 on: January 11, 2016, 07:33:59 pm »
Shed a few tears listening to Marc Riley play "New Career in a New Town" after saying a few words about his relationship with Bowie for over 40 years. Bitter sweet.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: January 11, 2016, 07:42:17 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1PbHXMJJ-dY&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1PbHXMJJ-dY&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #167 on: January 11, 2016, 07:50:36 pm »
Brilliant fb just brilliant.
RIP and thoughts as always to friends family and those closest to him.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #168 on: January 11, 2016, 08:04:59 pm »
Gutted another one of my Legends gone,
 his last CD is his parting gift to his fans.

Saw him in Birmingham  over a decade ago and that performance is still the benchmark for me and before or since nobody has topped it.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #169 on: January 11, 2016, 08:05:47 pm »
Legend, and an inspiration. A true genius. Got a very strange feeling. Can`t really believe it. Very sad. Rest in peace, David.

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #170 on: January 11, 2016, 08:15:38 pm »
Lovely heartfelt post FlashingBlade.

This Marc Riley show feels like a very special event happening. I need a full recording of it to keep.

I'm also feeling right at this present moment that I don't take enough risks in my life, I don't honour the awesome magical gift of creative expression and embrace big life changes enough. This man lived a truly awe-inspiring life, and my life has such long stretches of inertia; same scenery, same job, same unscratched itches. I imagine I'm not alone, and the event of this man's passing will in itself inspire people of all ages to go to strange places and do brand new things.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #171 on: January 11, 2016, 08:16:03 pm »
Some great posts in here, don't know how you're doing it to be honest. I'm sat watching Five Years on Yesterday, hugging my knees and trying to hold myself together.

Offline Priest078

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: January 11, 2016, 08:29:49 pm »
One of the best moments of my life was seeing him finish Glastonbury in 2000 .

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2016, 08:51:58 pm »
Bowie at the Beeb is being rereleased on vinyl next month

It's in 6 music now

It's ace
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline KERRYKOP

• KerryKop - Fiendish Bunny Slayer, Enemy Of The Lapine Race and founder of the Benitez band. Mugs old ladies for their kindles. Grindr fiend.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2016, 08:56:16 pm »
Like Filler, I found out through a notification on my phone as I awoke to another disgusting Monday morning. I knew something horrible had happend, because those type of notifications are only reserved for something awful.

Last night I was driving home from my mates about 1am, I put on the radio and 'Heroes' was playing about a quarter way through. It set my mind thinking about the new album as I had as yet listened to it, I wondered was there a possibility he would tour an album again, it would surely be his last.

I was due to see Bowie about ten years ago at a festival, but he had to pull out so the Darkness jumped in his place, it can indeed be cruel a world sometimes!

Beginning to tune into 'Heroes' I recalled how the song came about, that searing lead guitar throughout forming the bedrock of the song, the groove that swaggers behind and Bowie's lyrics. The 'dolphins' line that stinks out, a line that if you or I jotted down would be utterly ridiculous, but out of Bowie becomes entirely profound. Perhaps it's the way it's paced, it's a knock out line and it's hard to know why. 

I'm also feeling right at this present moment that I don't take enough risks in my life, I don't honour the awesome magical gift of creative expression and embrace big life changes enough. This man lived a truly awe-inspiring life, and my life has such long stretches of inertia; same scenery, same job, same unscratched itches. I imagine I'm not alone, and the event of this man's passing will in itself inspire people of all ages to go to strange places and do brand new things.
Right there with you, I've been feeling same. Some people are just too extraordinary, it's impossible to feel life has been a waste when you compare, but you hope more them would rub off on you.

The world now really is diminished without his presence.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2016, 09:13:53 pm »
"And the stars look very different today."  RIP David.   :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpdHMaccjw4

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2016, 09:18:20 pm »
Punched in the gut feeling all day long.
I'm so indebted to this man, for his art, for his words and his great voice.
Nothing much to say, he was the pinnacle of several era's - find me another who comes even close.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #178 on: January 11, 2016, 09:47:03 pm »
6 Music has nailed it today
Mark Radcliffe on Bowie if anyone missed it today on BBC 6 Music.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b06z0lns
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #179 on: January 11, 2016, 10:03:53 pm »

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #180 on: January 11, 2016, 10:17:36 pm »
David Bowie led — never followed. From wearing 50 shades of eyeshadow and flowing frocks to creating a string of alternate personas for his relentless genre-hopping, to branching out into acting and musical theater, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame icon who died on Sunday at age 69 forever had one eye on the future.

“It occurred to me having watched MTV over the last few months that it’s a solid enterprise,” Bowie said of the then-two-year-old network, which had a number of his music videos in heavy rotation. Dressed in a natty suit and absentmindedly picking at lint on his socks, though, Bowie clearly had more than faint praise on his mind. “It’s got a lot going for it. I’m just floored by the fact that there’s so few black artists featured on it. Why is that?”

http://www.mtv.com/news/2726379/david-bowie-calls-mtv-out-black-artists-diversity/

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/XZGiVzIr8Qg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/XZGiVzIr8Qg</a>
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #181 on: January 11, 2016, 10:17:53 pm »
Great post FB. I was born in the late sixties, but only really got to know Bowie in the eighties. Even then his stuff was amazing. So different to anything else around (I was a huge fan of The Jam). He had his own unique style and not only in music. I think the phrase of him being a chameleon was brilliant in the way he continually  changed his image,  reinventing himself, constantly keeping one step ahead style and fashion and style of music.
Why is it that the geniuses are taken early. We have lost a cultural icon. The world is a poorer place with his passing. RIP our hero.

Offline Raaphael

• A fucking embarrassment. Hot 4 Andrew Tate. Works out so beware wokies
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yeah? Well fuck you too Greta Gerwig
« Reply #182 on: January 11, 2016, 10:19:25 pm »
It's weird, I was listening to Black Star all weekend. Loved it, thought it was typically weird and experimental, and if there's one thing I respected Bowie for it was his ability to change and challenge himself. I was out on Saturday and mentioned I'd been listening to, and my mate asked me what it was like. "Brilliant, no idea what it's all about, but it's great".

Obviously now, it's blindingly obvious what it's all about. There are so many references to death and mortality I'm quite shocked that I didn't spot it before. Songs like Lazarus and I Can't Give Everything Away are pretty much farewells from beyond the grave.

What a legend, an icon, a true giant. I can't imagine anyone else's death (bar perhaps Bob Dylan or Paul McCartney's) having such an enormous effect on me.

Thanks for everything David, RIP.

Share this completely. I was taking a walk on Saturday while listening to the new album. Bowie made great, creative music to the end. To be quite honest I have not had a similar feeling since one of my best friend died three years ago. Very strange, like I really can`t believe this has happened.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:20:59 pm by Raaphael »

Offline Stubbins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: January 11, 2016, 10:20:40 pm »
Thanks to FlashingBlade for a marvellous post that encapsulates exactly how all us young dudes felt back then and are feeling tonight.

Amazing to think that it was way back in 1993 when Mick Ronson (Spider from Mars but also Hulls finest) passed away, also from cancer. Michael Picasso as Ian Hunter called him. Mott the Hoople of course benefitting greatly from Bowie's generosity in presenting them with the 'dudes' hit single.

Very sad. Despite constantly reinventing himself Bowie has always been there throughout our lives in one persona or another. Oh to be back in 1973 and listening to the Jean Genie for the first time again. 45 rpm - no downloads then, and all the better for it.

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #184 on: January 11, 2016, 10:27:34 pm »
Eno

"David's death came as a complete surprise, as did nearly everything else about him. I feel a huge gap now.

"We knew each other for over 40 years, in a friendship that was always tinged by echoes of Pete and Dud. Over the last few years - with him living in New York and me in London - our connection was by email. We signed off with invented names: some of his were mr showbiz, milton keynes, rhoda borrocks and the duke of ear.

"About a year ago we started talking about Outside - the last album we worked on together. We both liked that album a lot and felt that it had fallen through the cracks. We talked about revisiting it, taking it somewhere new. I was looking forward to that.

"I received an email from him seven days ago. It was as funny as always, and as surreal, looping through word games and allusions and all the usual stuff we did. It ended with this sentence: 'Thank you for our good times, brian. they will never rot'. And it was signed 'Dawn'.

"I realise now he was saying goodbye."

Offline Lady_brandybuck

• Duchess of Crackers, Mermaid of the Caribbean Sea and Amazon goddess (Current Empress of Tenochtitlan)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Available for parties and dinners.
« Reply #185 on: January 11, 2016, 11:00:43 pm »
RIP a true legend and one of a kind.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies"

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: January 11, 2016, 11:52:59 pm »
1972, two questions as we tried to suss each other out in our new school, are you a Red or a Blue who you into Slade, T Rex or Bowie? The first one was easy the second one was harder, my mates I'd played footy with had just transformed into a gang, I'd started dressing as a Bootboy, went the match, so Slade was the obvious answer and I liked them and their energy and I liked Bolan but Bowie was the one that blew me away. Ziggy Stardust had just been released and it was just so different, I'd be waiting for the bus to school in Walton Vale and the record shop I'd stand in sheltering from the rain was covered in Ziggy Album's and I felt it was mine in a way you do when you're young and discover new music. I saw the cover of that album today, K.West on the sign, and I'm taken back 44 years standing waiting for the bus.  I'd watched Starman on Top of the Pops and been transfixed, I could understand why so many people struggling to make sense of their sexuality would see Bowie as a role model cavorting with Mick Ronson but I knew that wasn't me but I was impressed, he doesn't give a fuck. My dad was disgusted but I'm not, my Dad is the man who introduced me to going the match, that I've looked up to and now I'm relishing knowing he's wrong. What was so refreshing was both Bowie's music and that he really had no boundaries, so the answer was a Red and Bowie but  knowing the subtext of the question the words that actually came out of my mouth was a Red and Slade. I wasn't quite there.

Growing up is all about discovering yourself and the more confident I became the more I realised that you didn't have to just follow you could be true to yourself, so unashamedly I was a Red who was also a Bowie freak and I wasn't alone, The Birmo Bags and the Airwair started looking jaded and being young and Scouse we started discovering our own look and sounds, the charts were passe but we were outsiders when it came to prog rock, step in Bowie and Bryan Ferry for some reason they just clicked with us, not everyone but I soon realised that I wasn't alone in liking Bowie and football, but loads of the lads pushing the boundaries that developed into what became the Scouse look also were into Bowie. The wedge haircut, being different, not given a fuck Bowie was an inspiration, we started going to clubs like Checkmate and Michelle Clair's where the love of Bowie and Ferry allowed scally's and the most outrageous to mingle without incident and we all benefitted from it. We gained a freedom to be different and not give a fuck, 'so you Gay, no big deal. Boss haircut lad, have your heard that Dillinger song'. 1978 and time after time at aways, you'd hear the opposing fans shouting through the barriers, 'Look the Scousers have all turned gay' give it a year or two eh lads ;D  It's hard to explain how much influence a musician could have on your life but in those years Bowie was the man. He just got us and we got him. From Young Americans with it's soul tunes to  Low or Heroes as we're discovering Kraftwerk, his journey mirrored our own we awaited a new LP like an event, punk never destroyed him but made him stronger. He'd reference something and we'd go and search it out so great was his influence.

After Heroes the music was never the same for me, interesting in parts but it never reached the groundbreaking majesty of his earlier music but I've been listening to Blackstar and it's impressive, For many of us mourning Bowie is also a process of realising our own mortality, someone who was so influential in so many aspects of our lives has grown old and died aged 69, someone so entwined with our youth, who gave us hope in awkward times is gone forever.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 01:31:27 am by The 92A »
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Romeo Sensini

• Legacy Fan
  • Can climb two flights of stairs
« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2016, 12:00:46 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HRj1-dMDJ-0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HRj1-dMDJ-0</a>

Offline Lucas21

• A Better Future
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Half of Everything is Luck
« Reply #188 on: January 12, 2016, 12:09:52 am »
So incredibly saddened by this news. My signature on RAWK says 'A Better Future' which is my favourite Bowie song. He also played one of the coolest people Nicola Tesla in my favourite film The Prestige. Probably one of the most underrated and excellent casting choices ever. RIP
P.S. Moonage Daydream in Guardians of the Galaxy is just beautiful.

Offline robygerrard

• Anny Roader
« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2016, 12:17:15 am »
Thanks FB. Lemmy & Bowie gone in a week.  Fucksake.😢

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2016, 12:23:05 am »
The response to his passing has been one of obvious sadness but overriding that sadness is a knowing that what he brought to the world cannot ever be forgotten or ignored. At least that's how I am seeing it and I think that would be a great way to think of him. People like him don't come along often and in the case of Bowie specifically there will never be another that comes close to him. He was so original and unique that he was out on his own. Chopper said it best today when he said he's up there with The Beatles, Elvis, Otis Redding and a select few others.

A huge loss.

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #191 on: January 12, 2016, 12:39:21 am »
<a href="http://youtube.com/v/Q3L58KyHC_M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://youtube.com/v/Q3L58KyHC_M</a>

Three minutes of pure musical joy

I thought him invincible
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 09:44:52 am by MichaelA »

Offline KERRYKOP

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RIP Páidí Ó Sé
« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2016, 12:44:25 am »
The response to his passing has been one of obvious sadness but overriding that sadness is a knowing that what he brought to the world cannot ever be forgotten or ignored. At least that's how I am seeing it and I think that would be a great way to think of him. People like him don't come along often and in the case of Bowie specifically there will never be another that comes close to him. He was so original and unique that he was out on his own. Chopper said it best today when he said he's up there with The Beatles, Elvis, Otis Redding and a select few others.

A huge loss.

Elvis was the most influential rock n roll artist of all time in that his fame brought it to the world, The Beatles, influential for obvious reasons, but if we're talking soul artists, Ray Charles and James Brown operated on another planet to Otis, who's young death along with Sam Cooke who arguably had even more to offer we unfortunetly never saw the true extent of their talents.

Ray Charles, is similar to Bowie in that he genre hopped, a black artist releasing a country album showed the bravery he had, James Brown more or less invented funk 'on the one', changing the course of music, that constitutes as genius.

For a period at the beginning of the 70's, Stevie Wonder, matched Bowie for endeavour and scope, a genius as well, but even Stevie ran out of puff by the mid 70's. Bowie's insatiable quest for the new right up to his passing set him apart I think from every other artist.   

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: January 12, 2016, 01:00:27 am »
Goblin King can't die :(

Lucky to see him live in 1997 at the royal court, we were right at the front and the whole thing was amazing, there was a small bit built over the pit so he was in touching distance for a lot of it. No support acts, just him and his band.

Gutted.
I was at the same gig 3 rows from the front.Todays news took me back to that gig that i remember very vividly.

We've lost a very special person who was more than just a musician,i can't find the words i want to describe how i feel.

Gutted!!

Offline ColdSteel

• Anny Roader
« Reply #194 on: January 12, 2016, 01:07:02 am »
Some wonderful posts in here. As sad as I am, sitting with moist eyes and a heavy heart, I have to smile seeing my 3 year old daughter dance to Golden Years in the living room with pure joy on her face.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2016, 01:19:32 am »
My dad was a teenage lad when he sat in his bedroom in Anglesey and listened to this weird as fuck guy with bright red hair and better thighs than most women and he relished the fact that his parents couldn't stand it. That he's been in tears today would alone be enough for me to be saddened to the core by David Bowie's passing but I, stupidly, allowed myself to be brought up on his music and as I myself became a teenager, I discovered my own favourite songs and favourite moments and he became a part of my growing up as well.

For fuck's sake, it isn't fair.

Offline mikeb58

• The Poet Laureate of the Hillsborough forum and indeed, now, the rest of the site! Allez, allez, allez......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • kopite
« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2016, 03:14:49 am »
Such a sad loss of a unique person on and off stage, 69 is no age to die these days.

Though I'm an avid Bolan fan, I was a massive admirer of Bowies work as well, especially in the early days when these 2 great mates where fierce rivals as well.

Here's a few facts from a Bolan fan that you may not know about David, the sort off thing I doubt you'll read or hear about over the next few days concerning the 2 great artistes.

Bolan insisted Bowie got a mime slot on his late 60's gigs
Bowie wrote Lady Stardust about Marc.
Bolan played guitar on Prettiest Star (single version)
The pair wrote a great record together called Madman, released by New Wave band Cuddly Toys in 1979
Bowie performed Heroes live on Marc TV series in 1977 as a special favour.

While recording the show they also hastily wrote a song called Standing Next To You, they performed it live on the show but a pissed Bolan fell off the stage just as they started singing, Bowie just laughed.

They never got to finish it, cos there was no time to do it again.

Bowie kindly set up a trust fund for Marc's young  son after he died.

Here they are Sept 1977 live on the 'Marc' Show.....RIP David Bowie a tremendous loss.

Hillsborough...Our Greatest Victory (out now)

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2016, 07:34:17 am »
For fuck's sake, it isn't fair.

Quote by Banksy

“I mean, they say you die twice. One time when you stop breathing and a second time, a bit later on, when somebody says your name for the last time.”

So its very simple. Bowie will be immortal and

Dean Podestá ‏@JeSuisDean  Jan 10

If you're ever sad, just remember the world is 4.543 billion years old and you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 07:37:18 am by gazzalfc »

Offline the good half

• these days is hard to find so please be gentle with this half of mine
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2016, 07:38:43 am »
I recall cleaning up the pub I worked in in Rome. About 2002. I had MTV or VH1 on and Bowie's latest was played.
It was 'Thursday's Child'. The video was like a shot of Bowie in the arm.
Since 'Earthling', he had somewhat gone off my radar. But there he was again.
Beautiful song (and album 'hours...') right back in my life.
The back catalogue came out and off I went again on another 4/5 year spell with Bowie at the top of the playlist.
In my chartbook he's the most consistent performer.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: January 12, 2016, 08:55:25 am »

Yesterday and lets be honest, today and many days to follow, has been a great excuse to play his music continuously. I knew how much he meant to people..but still underestimated the magnitude.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 08:59:47 am by b_joseph »