Author Topic: Harry Maguire considering his options thread  (Read 3272834 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Man United thread. Revolution Number... 6?
« Reply #36960 on: June 27, 2022, 02:07:37 pm »
What?

Yes, in the past you would get arrested and sent to prison for being gay, but guess what? Doesn't happen now, same with the Birch on the IOM, doesn't get used for being gay anymore. Punishment for same sex relationships in Saudi? Can be execution.

Homophobia is still a problem, but by fighting against it, we can change it. Just sitting there ignoring it does not help in any way shape or form.
Forget all that, Rob. Just stick to the football.  ::)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #36961 on: June 27, 2022, 02:07:46 pm »
So, anyway, Manchester United. Lol.

;D

Wish we could have moved all that to the Newcastle thread! It’s a rightly important topic, having it here is making it less so!

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36962 on: June 27, 2022, 02:12:33 pm »
;D

Wish we could have moved all that to the Newcastle thread! It’s a rightly important topic, having it here is making it less so!
It's definitely relevant in here though.

When the fanbase of the self-appointed 'biggest club in the world" are so desperate for a despot of their own, it tells us such a lot about the state of society and of football.

When Man United want to be Man City or Newcastle, you know the game is screwed.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #36963 on: June 27, 2022, 02:19:59 pm »
Which football club did Britain buy?
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #36964 on: June 27, 2022, 02:25:05 pm »
Contrary to the myth that Britain gave many ‘gifts’ to India, the British Raj was a cruel and oppressive regime responsible for the deaths of an estimated 35 million Indians.

But you know..... I could sit here worrying for the rest of my life. Other countries have a very very very long way before they catch up to what this country has done in its past. I know what , I'll sit behind my screen condemning the english vor the rest of time. Or I'll get on with my life and take control of what I am capable of doing. Shall we look at what the Spanish Christians done to South America?  How about that as a point of murderous history?  Anyway. Why not open a thread on football politics and those who are interested in that can debate it till the cows come home. Some of us just come here for a laugh and a joke and a piss take out of rival fans and teams. Be careful what you think of others when you do not even know what's going in your own country. Abc is that must make xyz so great and far superior . Oooh human rights. Where were the rights of gay people in this country 50 years ago ? The police would rade your home and incarcerate you. Have things changed ? Or is the condemnation just in another form? Homophobia.  And the world goes round and round and round. But look at me. I dont agree with how others live because look at how we live. I won't speak of this anymore thanks. I dont need to agree with you to disagree with what others are doing.
Are you Eddie Howe?
How many football clubs does the British government own? And do they use government funds and contacts to gain an unfair advantage over other clubs?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2022, 02:28:27 pm by JRed »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36965 on: June 27, 2022, 03:39:39 pm »
It's amusing to see United fans craving sportswashing sugar daddy. They've spent almost as much as City have over the past decade, and the two clubs couldn't be further apart.

If they don't realise by now that there's more to solving their problems than simply chucking money around then they never will. That, or one can only assume that the owners are fully aware that the club are run badly and just don't care.

The only certainty is that no Sheik is going near that club given the pricetag the Glazers would put on it to walk away.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36966 on: June 27, 2022, 04:47:05 pm »
Get off your horse. You don't know anything about me. Thanks nonetheless.

He's not wrong though is he.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Skeeve

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36967 on: June 27, 2022, 05:09:42 pm »
Contrary to the myth that Britain gave many ‘gifts’ to India, the British Raj was a cruel and oppressive regime responsible for the deaths of an estimated 35 million Indians.

But you know..... I could sit here worrying for the rest of my life. Other countries have a very very very long way before they catch up to what this country has done in its past. I know what , I'll sit behind my screen condemning the english vor the rest of time. Or I'll get on with my life and take control of what I am capable of doing. Shall we look at what the Spanish Christians done to South America?  How about that as a point of murderous history?  Anyway. Why not open a thread on football politics and those who are interested in that can debate it till the cows come home. Some of us just come here for a laugh and a joke and a piss take out of rival fans and teams. Be careful what you think of others when you do not even know what's going in your own country. Abc is that must make xyz so great and far superior . Oooh human rights. Where were the rights of gay people in this country 50 years ago ? The police would rade your home and incarcerate you. Have things changed ? Or is the condemnation just in another form? Homophobia.  And the world goes round and round and round. But look at me. I dont agree with how others live because look at how we live. I won't speak of this anymore thanks. I dont need to agree with you to disagree with what others are doing.

What an utterly pathetic and spineless attempt at whataboutery, easy to see why sportswashing is so popular with murderous regimes nowadays when it generates so many gullible idiots who are happy to spew out false equivalencies to make their new master seem less terrible.

Crucial points your whataboutery failed on, there's no clubs owned by the British government and the Saudi laws people are criticising are still in place today, unlike the historical examples you threw out to try and muddy the waters.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36968 on: June 27, 2022, 05:13:47 pm »
That's the problem.
Your owners haven't bought your club because they love Newcastle.
They bought it because you are prime for a sports-wash.
Entitled fans so desperate for success they feel they "deserve" because they are a "big club", despite winning sweet FA for decades and having very few actual trophies to their name.
This made you the ideal target for a murderous regime because you will vocally excuse and defend any atrocity if it means you might win something.
Shills in the media get on board once the cheques start rolling, shills like the dullard Shearer paid to reinforce the message thats its about football and the club deserve this.
You are a prime example.

Always thought bmk1 was a Red.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36969 on: June 27, 2022, 05:16:26 pm »

You're a twat.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36970 on: June 27, 2022, 05:17:33 pm »
There used to be a time when we would talk about Utd in every thread and every forum. Now we don't even talk about Utd, our bitterest rivals, in the Utd thread.

Erik ten Haag has got massive shoes to fill to win our focused attention back. Moyes and Ole cannot be bettered imho.  ;D

8)

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #36971 on: June 27, 2022, 05:30:03 pm »

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36972 on: June 27, 2022, 05:42:41 pm »
I can’t stand the sports washing regimes, and they should not have been allowed in to football. We have been let down by our governing bodies, who have allowed this.

Just wanting to ask a question though…

If it right to expect football to be different from the British Government, or indeed the wider world of business, in its dealings with Saudi Arabia?

A cursory glance shows the British Government recently did a £1.4 Billion arms deal with the Saudis, and it would not be difficult to investigate that sort of thing further, to presumably reveal more of the same sort of stuff. With regard to morality, it seems the British Government is happy to be a strategic ally with Saudi Arabia and take the money.

Now for the wider world of business.

A cursory glance reveals there are over 200 joint ventures between Saudi and UK business, worth over £17.5 Billion. Thousands of people live and work back and forth between countries, apparently happy with the arrangement.

Again, I can’t stand Saudi Arabia, due to its repressive and brutal regime. And the sports washing with Newcastle appalls me.

But my question: is it reasonable to expect football to be different than the British Government, or the wider world of business, in its dealings with Saudi Arabia?

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36973 on: June 27, 2022, 05:47:41 pm »
I can’t stand the sports washing regimes, and they should not have been allowed in to football. We have been let down by our governing bodies, who have allowed this.

If it right to expect football to be different from the British Government, or indeed the wider world of business, in its dealings with Saudi Arabia?

A cursory glance shows the British Government recently did a £1.4 Billion arms deal with the Saudis, and it would not be difficult to investigate that sort of thing further, to presumably reveal more of the same sort of stuff. With regard to morality, it seems the British Government is happy to be a strategic ally with Saudi Arabia and take the money.

A cursory glance reveals there are over 200 joint ventures between Saudi and UK business, worth over £17.5 Billion. Thousands of people live and work back and forth between countries, apparently happy with the arrangement.

Again, I can’t stand Saudi Arabia, due to its repressive and brutal regime. And the sports washing with Newcastle appalls me.

But my question: is it reasonable to expect football to be different than the British Government, or the wider world of business, in its dealings with Saudi Arabia?
Yea it is reasonable to expect football to be different. Football is a sport, and as such there should be sporting integrity and fair play. Without these it is no longer a sport. Abu Dhabi, Qatar and now Saudi have pissed all over fair play and sporting integrity.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36974 on: June 27, 2022, 05:49:23 pm »

Yes and the governing body here weren't intending the Saudi takeover until the British government stepped in and told the PL/FA or whoever to allow it due to their very own trade agreements.

Basically their regime held us, the UK government, to random over a business deal to force the takeover through.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36975 on: June 27, 2022, 06:21:45 pm »
I agree, football is a sport, and it is reasonable to expect sporting integrity and fair play.

But football is also a business, and has been for many years. One of the driving forces in business is to find a way to gain a competitive advantage. You aren’t setting out to be especially fair to your competitors. You want to beat them, and own the market, or as much of it as you can get.

I think we would all draw the business line some way short of state-owned, sports washing enterprises like Man City, PSG and now Newcastle.

But the powers that be, both in terms of footballing authority, and governmental authority, have let us down.

The situation is ripe for the European Super League, in another guise. If they work out better competitive integrity, and do a better job with communicating the plan and enacting it, I can see an alternate to UEFA spring up easily.

Man City, PSG and Newcastle can play each other, week in week out. 

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36976 on: June 27, 2022, 06:50:31 pm »
Yea it is reasonable to expect football to be different. Football is a sport, and as such there should be sporting integrity and fair play. Without these it is no longer a sport. Abu Dhabi, Qatar and now Saudi have pissed all over fair play and sporting integrity.
I agree.

I fully expect the British government to be immoral and corrupt. I expect more from football.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #36978 on: June 27, 2022, 09:06:44 pm »

Football has always mirrored society though. And that's from the behaviour of fans to the way the sport is governed and ran.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36979 on: June 27, 2022, 09:53:53 pm »
Manchester United are still rubbish.

(Getting thread back on topic).

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36980 on: June 27, 2022, 11:09:31 pm »
Manchester United are still rubbish.

(Getting thread back on topic).
whoa, steady now!  bloody heretic.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36981 on: June 27, 2022, 11:32:04 pm »
getting back on topic...

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36982 on: June 27, 2022, 11:36:13 pm »
^
Is that Nigel Clough? 😃

Offline coolbyrne

• Legacy Fan
  • Ground Control
« Reply #36983 on: June 27, 2022, 11:46:17 pm »
Maybe that depending on what other teams/sports you follow?  Of the 4 clubs I support in sport in general (so hockey, baseball and footy), Liverpool is the only one that is succesful, one of the others is a small club who are never going to be challening for honors, and the other 2 are perenial underachievers who have good years (but dont win anything) and then far too many bad years of disappointing us all!

But I’d not want them used for sportswashing for a single second. I find it tough enough with ‘normal’ clubs moving further and further from their roots and being priced out of most people’s grasp. Footy at this level is hard to love even without these states being welcomed as owners.  The money involved in it is the biggest turnoff.

Sports has always been about tribalism, but modern sport has taken this to the nth degree. We (and I use 'we' as a generic term here) were once proud of the success of our team because they were us, but now, it seems we only care about success, and we only care about it so we can hold it over the heads of our rival's fans and feel good about ourselves. And it doesn't matter how we get that success. It's a drug now, this ability to taunt and mock. And our attention spans are so short, we need that drug constantly. We don't even remember the successes of last week let alone last month or last year. Sports journalism has become sound bites, and the way we consume sports is the same. We only want to know the score, we don't really care about the method on the pitch nor the method in the board room. It's how we can turn our attention away from the truth and "just get on with the football".
Oh, these sour times.

No one admires resilience when you were just plain wrong all along - that's just twattishness.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36984 on: June 28, 2022, 12:42:21 am »
Sports has always been about tribalism, but modern sport has taken this to the nth degree. We (and I use 'we' as a generic term here) were once proud of the success of our team because they were us, but now, it seems we only care about success, and we only care about it so we can hold it over the heads of our rival's fans and feel good about ourselves. And it doesn't matter how we get that success. It's a drug now, this ability to taunt and mock. And our attention spans are so short, we need that drug constantly. We don't even remember the successes of last week let alone last month or last year. Sports journalism has become sound bites, and the way we consume sports is the same. We only want to know the score, we don't really care about the method on the pitch nor the method in the board room. It's how we can turn our attention away from the truth and "just get on with the football".
yep.  an enormous sense of entitlement runs through all of the attitudes you describe. 

it's becoming pervasive in all aspects of society: "I deserve [whatever, no matter how nonsensical] and I deserve it now!!"  "You're not the boss of me!! I deserve to do what I want and get what I want! when I want it!"

very sad really.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36985 on: June 28, 2022, 01:57:53 am »
They have this stupid belief that they are big enough not to fall further and all it takes is 1 or 2 big name players and everything will be fine. They should have tried to get whoever was the technical or sporting director at Brighton and sacrificed two years to build but instead they are repeating the same mistakes over and over again. long may it continue.

I made the mistake of listening to Talksport earlier and the host was saying it would be a failure if United didn’t win the league. Absolute madness.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36986 on: June 28, 2022, 02:00:26 am »

Congrats on being brainwashed by the money they’ve put into your club. You sound like a City fan.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36987 on: June 28, 2022, 04:01:13 am »
I made the mistake of listening to Talksport earlier and the host was saying it would be a failure if United didn’t win the league. Absolute madness.
:lmao :lmao :lmao

Online phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #36988 on: June 28, 2022, 09:01:11 am »
And I have no respect for idiots who have no idea about anything who jump on bad wagons

😂😂

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #36989 on: June 28, 2022, 09:14:05 am »

Why have a go at the English specifically? It was the British Empire.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36990 on: June 28, 2022, 09:27:37 am »
Why have a go at the English specifically? It was the British Empire.

It's irrelevant really, looking at historical behaviour is a rabbit hole where you end up having an issue with pretty much everything. The Saudi's don't just have a history of homophobia, slavery and other human rights abuses, it's all still going on right now, that's the issue being dodged.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #36991 on: June 28, 2022, 09:30:22 am »
It's irrelevant really, looking at historical behaviour is a rabbit hole where you end up having an issue with pretty much everything. The Saudi's don't just have a history of homophobia, slavery and other human rights abuses, it's all still going on right now, that's the issue being dodged.

Yep. Funnily enough was having a chat with the missus yesterday in the pub and history was mentioned. Not sure all this 'deletion' is a good step. History is something that happened. I'd rather a country acknowledge it, learn from it and make sure that the bad bits didn't happen again.

As the old adage goes "Those that do not learn from History are doomed to repeat it"

History happened. That's how and why we got to where we are now. But for the most part, the UK (for instance) has improved dramatically as a nation.

As you say, other countries are still enacting barbaric and shithouse situations on a daily basis. And more importantly, right now.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Avens

• Look around you! Clearly knows his Gary Gum from his Anti-Gary Gum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36992 on: June 28, 2022, 11:26:31 am »
Get off your horse. You don't know anything about me. Thanks nonetheless.

I think we all know plenty about you, thanks.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now. - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36993 on: June 28, 2022, 01:17:56 pm »
looks like the Mancs have agreed fee with Barca for De Jong. €85, incl add ons.

Be Afraid. Very afraid...

Online BigCDump

• Kopite
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #36994 on: June 28, 2022, 01:24:46 pm »
A match made in the stars. Like Jabba the Hut yanking on Leia's chain.  :lmao

Poor Frenkie, two tribes went to war and a shit sandwich was all that he could score.  :(
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #36995 on: June 28, 2022, 01:25:48 pm »
Why where Barcelona so desperate to get rid of de Jong? I know they need to sell to register players, I’m guessing he just happens to be one of their very few salable assets?  What a mad situation, being forced out to go to a club you don’t want to be at.

Looks like ten Hag is going down the very basic route of signing players or trying to sign players he already knows from his old club!

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36996 on: June 28, 2022, 01:30:20 pm »
Poor Frenkie need not feel sad, he'll be at Real Madrid in 2 seasons when ETH is gone.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Rawkybalboa

• "I wouldn't have a clue..."
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • somebody puts his hand on u, send him2the grave
« Reply #36997 on: June 28, 2022, 01:42:56 pm »

Valid points. Especially about switching a post about transfers to a political one. So I thought we not mixing politics with sport. But hypocrites pick and choose whenever they wish to so and whenever it suits them. There is always 2 sides to a coin. Learn to listen and respect the other side too. Dont just mock and ban like RT news lol. Hypocrites gettin exposed all over.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36998 on: June 28, 2022, 01:53:05 pm »
looks like the Mancs have agreed fee with Barca for De Jong. €85, incl add ons.

Be Afraid. Very afraid...
€85m for a player no other club wanted (including his club)  :D

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36999 on: June 28, 2022, 01:54:12 pm »
Why where Barcelona so desperate to get rid of de Jong? I know they need to sell to register players, I’m guessing he just happens to be one of their very few salable assets?  What a mad situation, being forced out to go to a club you don’t want to be at.

Looks like ten Hag is going down the very basic route of signing players or trying to sign players he already knows from his old club!
Because they want to buy a better player- Bernardo.