Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3466116 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #42200 on: March 26, 2016, 08:24:01 pm »
Thought Deadpool was utter garbage.  Your usual traditional superhero structure with the humour of a Ted film and a couple of fourth wall breaks.  Utterly insufferable.
Couldn't agree less, it was fucking marvellous. The humour may have been crass but it was in another league to Ted (which I don't like BTW). A welcome change to the PG - 13 superhero summer blockbuster.

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42201 on: March 26, 2016, 08:28:52 pm »
I liked it because it never took itself serious....films with superheroes in are too po faced...Deadpool was the opposite of that and all the better for it.

Everyone who saw the trailer knew what expect...it wasn't like we expected a.....German or Kurosawa film.
Wasn't that interested in watching it after seeing some bad reviews but you know your shit Dave so I'll give it a go tomorrow night ;)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42202 on: March 26, 2016, 08:48:14 pm »
Wasn't that interested in watching it after seeing some bad reviews but you know your shit Dave so I'll give it a go tomorrow night ;)
As everyone in here knows, I hate super hero films...this, this was fun from the second the credits started till the very last seconds when the credits ended. I thought Reynolds played it perfectly,as  a sardonic, psychotic anti-super hero...it was self aware,over the top violent and I thought highly funny..maybe my bar for watching shite is lower than some, but still...I'll buy this on Blu-ray.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42203 on: March 26, 2016, 08:54:18 pm »
As everyone in here knows, I hate any film not shot in black and white with copious amounts of crap everywhere!
Fixed :wave

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42204 on: March 26, 2016, 08:59:18 pm »
As everyone in here knows, I hate super hero films...this, this was fun from the second the credits started till the very last seconds when the credits ended. I thought Reynolds played it perfectly,as  a sardonic, psychotic anti-super hero...it was self aware,over the top violent and I thought highly funny..maybe my bar for watching shite is lower than some, but still...I'll buy this on Blu-ray.
No one has a lower bar for watching shite as me so I will defo like it then ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42205 on: March 26, 2016, 09:05:49 pm »
Fixed :wave
Truth...can't really give you a counter argument without being a liar. ;D

That Aleksei German film did take it to extremes though. ;D

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42206 on: March 26, 2016, 09:08:46 pm »
He Never Died has popped up on Netflix. Would highly recommend if you like your humour pitch black.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42207 on: March 26, 2016, 09:10:00 pm »
Truth...can't really give you a counter argument without being a liar. ;D

That Aleksei German film did take it to extremes though. ;D
As I know you're a big soppy bastard at heart.....

Both Zootropolis and Kung Fu Panda 3 were awesome, heart warming and clever, a couple of the better cinema experiences this year. Eggcellent! :wave

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42208 on: March 26, 2016, 09:11:17 pm »
my 2c: Deadpool was fine, i actually like the new Star Wars better but neither are particularly good films, just proficiently made blockbusters (yeah i know Reynolds had to fight tooth and nail for Deadpool to be made the right way). Snyder and Bay could learn a thing or bajillion from these.

neither had much meat on their bones but i was entertained nonetheless throughout most of the running time.
there were some juicy morsels to be had, you cannot deny it be you loony anally retentive fanboy or grumpy cynic.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 09:16:43 pm by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42209 on: March 26, 2016, 09:34:34 pm »
As I know you're a big soppy bastard at heart.....

Both Zootropolis and Kung Fu Panda 3 were awesome, heart warming and clever, a couple of the better cinema experiences this year. Eggcellent! :wave
I love the Kung Fu Panda films. I'm still waiting on the Turkish horror film, Baskin to pop up...it's supposedly very good.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42210 on: March 26, 2016, 09:36:55 pm »
my 2c: Deadpool was fine, i actually like the new Star Wars better but neither are particularly good films, just proficiently made blockbusters (yeah i know Reynolds had to fight tooth and nail for Deadpool to be made the right way). Snyder and Bay could learn a thing or bajillion from these.

neither had much meat on their bones but i was entertained nonetheless throughout most of the running time.
there were some juicy morsels to be had, you cannot deny it be you loony anally retentive fanboy or grumpy cynic.

Spot on this. Both are fine, for me, not much more, not much less. Not a fan of Star Wars at all but it was well done and pretty fun, likewise with Deadpool.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #42211 on: March 27, 2016, 10:32:37 pm »
I think it's had a very easy ride indeed because it gets some - less tangible, I suppose - things right for its intended audience. It made them feel like kids again, and achieved that not only by never straying from the original's general template (disappointingly at times, in terms of effectively diminishing this episode's lasting artistic worth right from the start), but also by treating them essentially as kids. And most have obliged, by forgetting the less good bits and only gleefully holding onto the parts they loved, just like kids do with films that excite them.

I'm in that odd position where I can say I really quite enjoyed it in the flix (twice: IMAX 3D & IMAX D-Box [daft bucking themepark chairs, decent fun] - makes all the difference, trust me), but don't really rate it.

Gleeson would have certainly benefitted from bringing it down a few notches, but I think Abrams actually directed him to turn it up. The British (Galactic) Empire is a beloved old cliche; old hat maybe, but fans would have appreciated the nod to Cushing and Glover et al. Would have been an outrage if the Imperial officers were anything but cut-glass tightarse Englishmen!  ;D

The problem is that they took the fascistic element well over the top with Gleeson, with the parodic stiffness and perma-sneer, and the screaming Hitlerian passion of that Nuremburg Rally bit, which was a bit too much. I think Hux could be a pretty good character in the classic Imperial tradition if next time he has more of a cold reserved thing going on, just a quiet icy detachment - going panto with it all just spoils the striking look he already has for the role by virtue of his genes.

For me, the highlights mainly orbited around Kylo Ren. The most memorable big set pieces; the most interesting dialogue; the deepest, heaviest moments of cinematic atmosphere - most if not all of it involved him. Ridley, Boyega and Isaac all bring a lot of charm to their roles, but Driver hit all the notes just right. I like how clearly deeply conflicted and confused under the surface he makes Ren in pretty much every scene, and how he's somehow simultaneously cool and uncool. Just as a teenage(?) angsty darkside loner should be!!

I could probably fill a page or two with issues with it as a film, but I won't because it's a general step back in the right direction, Star Warsy-wise, and so people are in very charitable spirit. Everyone has essentially conceded that its main task was to re-establish that nostalgic old feel and setting, wash the prequels away, and cram in the fan service so we all felt warm and fuzzy and catered-to again, and that the next one needs to deliver far, far more. In fact, the sheer level of eager fan service above all other concerns is in itself one of the problems the film has for me... but eh, whatcha gona do?  ;)

Well, I cannot argue with that my good man. It certainly does its intended job and is miles above The Phantom Menace...

Maybe I am getting too cynical in my old age, but while I enjoyed the film, I just found myself laughing at how many different ways that they can reuse Monomyth. To be honest, I fast-forwarded the whole Nuremberg rally bit. I cringed so much through Gleeson's scenes that I tried to oust his scenes from my eyes.

I don't know... It kind of felt like Comic Relief - a series of new blood, encapsulated by many o' old favourites.

On another note:

Has anyone seen any good Indie-flicks of late?
Continually on 11,420.

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42212 on: March 27, 2016, 11:51:01 pm »
Been disappointed with a lot of indie fare recently, Anomalisa, The Pearl Button, The Assassin and a few more all a bit average.

My two favourite films of the year are still Room and The Big Short.

Can't wait to see Midnight Express in a week or two.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42213 on: March 28, 2016, 12:58:25 am »
just saw Inside Llewyn Davis. pretty good fun to watch, not sure what to think of it though.

Offline Motty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42214 on: March 28, 2016, 01:34:33 am »
Just watched it, fucking great film that Dave ,to go with Star Wars and Ride Along 2 last night and Kung Fu Panda 3 today. After 4 good ones in a row ,guaranteed the next film I watch will be fucking shite ;D

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42215 on: March 28, 2016, 03:03:04 am »
Enjoyed Deadpool more than Star wars but neither blew me away.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #42216 on: March 28, 2016, 05:18:34 pm »
Just seen Eddie the Eagle. Terrific film. Really enjoyed it and Mrs @ Allerton thought it was great too.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42217 on: March 28, 2016, 05:20:19 pm »
Enjoyed Deadpool more than Star wars but neither blew me away.
Vice versa, but same verdict.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42218 on: March 28, 2016, 06:27:23 pm »
Well, I cannot argue with that my good man. It certainly does its intended job and is miles above The Phantom Menace...

Maybe I am getting too cynical in my old age, but while I enjoyed the film, I just found myself laughing at how many different ways that they can reuse Monomyth. To be honest, I fast-forwarded the whole Nuremberg rally bit. I cringed so much through Gleeson's scenes that I tried to oust his scenes from my eyes.

I don't know... It kind of felt like Comic Relief - a series of new blood, encapsulated by many o' old favourites.

On another note:

Has anyone seen any good Indie-flicks of late?
Diary Of A Teenage Girl. The Belgian film;Les Ardennes...oh yeah, another Belgian film I dug....The Brand New Testament. Probably just me though, but I really liked it.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #42219 on: March 29, 2016, 12:10:24 am »
I'm all about the animation this weekend....loved Inside Out...although not as much as the Swedish film Beyond Beyond a very odd, charming and at times slightly dark allegory about rabbits in the afterlife....very imaginative, with more than a hint of Scandinavian Ghibli about it...recommended to the RAWK animation posse
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42220 on: March 29, 2016, 12:13:49 am »
Diary Of A Teenage Girl. The Belgian film;Les Ardennes...oh yeah, another Belgian film I dug....The Brand New Testament. Probably just me though, but I really liked it.

looks good, will try

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #42221 on: March 29, 2016, 12:49:51 pm »

Cheers bloke - will queue them up for the weekend.

If anyone hasn't seen The Gift yet, I would recommend giving it a go. Good little story, good acting - it isn't worth the money it is on IMDB, but still a very well crafted film. I also gave Vera Drake another go over the weekend - anyone who likes a good Brit-flick should give this a go.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42222 on: March 29, 2016, 02:06:40 pm »
If anyone hasn't seen The Gift yet, I would recommend giving it a go. Good little story, good acting - it isn't worth the money it is on IMDB, but still a very well crafted film.
I didn't like it although tonally it definitely hit the mark it was going for. It felt like a piece of chewing gum you couldn't get off your shoe!

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42223 on: March 29, 2016, 05:13:28 pm »
Just seen Eddie the Eagle. Terrific film. Really enjoyed it and Mrs @ Allerton thought it was great too.

Thought it was a solid 7/10.  Very gooey and hits all the notes you expect it too but you can't help but have a smile on your face throughout. 

Off to see Janis: Little Girl Blue tonight.  Looking forward to it as I know virtually nothing of her.

Still need to fit Zootropolis in somewhere too.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #42224 on: March 30, 2016, 11:51:33 am »
I didn't like it although tonally it definitely hit the mark it was going for. It felt like a piece of chewing gum you couldn't get off your shoe!

Yes, I felt the same - I didn't really like it but it was executed well and the acting is good. It was Joel Egg's pet project; as I say, I went into the film expecting a great story.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #42225 on: March 30, 2016, 11:55:57 am »
Thought it was a solid 7/10.  Very gooey and hits all the notes you expect it too but you can't help but have a smile on your face throughout. 

Off to see Janis: Little Girl Blue tonight.  Looking forward to it as I know virtually nothing of her.

Still need to fit Zootropolis in somewhere too.

Totally agree - a very good 'feel-good' film - quite a lot of the audience laughing as well throughout - some great scenes and one-liners :D
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #42226 on: March 30, 2016, 12:02:20 pm »
And Batman and Superman - another notable entry into the overhyped, action over plot, irrational character-driven, style over substance journal.

It actually looks like a series of scenes where shot, with fillers, and then edited into this nonsense - it kind of felt like the last Nolan film (but not as good).
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #42227 on: March 30, 2016, 01:11:14 pm »
Couldnt justify paying to see Batman V Superman considering how shit its supposed to be. I'll just hate myself afterwards.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42228 on: March 30, 2016, 01:15:31 pm »
Couldnt justify paying to see Batman V Superman considering how shit its supposed to be. I'll just hate myself afterwards.
I'm going to see it straight after work.......I do not have high hopes but then I have an unlimited card so it's not very expensive ;)

Offline Skidder.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #42229 on: March 30, 2016, 09:28:32 pm »
I'm going to see it straight after work.......I do not have high hopes but then I have an unlimited card so it's not very expensive ;)

Good luck - it is good on the big screen, but for me, it isn't much better than the previous Superman installment. The plot is literally everywhere and whilst this film lives in its own universe, I was watching it thinking, "Wait a minute...".

Edit: I should put my rant in the DC thread.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 09:32:38 pm by Kidder. »
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42230 on: March 30, 2016, 09:59:32 pm »
Good luck - it is good on the big screen, but for me, it isn't much better than the previous Superman installment. The plot is literally everywhere and whilst this film lives in its own universe, I was watching it thinking, "Wait a minute...".

Edit: I should put my rant in the DC thread.
Wow! Just wow! It was absolutely fucking dreadful.....and that's from someone who will watch almost anything! Some of the sets pieces were pretty good but that aside it's worthless.
Worst super hero film I can recall watching this century! I actually nodded off at one point. And Affleck's depiction of Batman is the worst of any ever committed to film, but you can't put all the blame on him.
Supposedly one of the smartest super heroes of all-time and his excuse for getting caught planting a bug? Looking for the lav! Unfuckingbelievable! Kill if, kill it with fire!
All that said it still wasn't even close to being as bad as London has Fallen, which was a bigger turd than the brother from Weird Science!

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #42231 on: March 31, 2016, 03:47:21 am »
I fear if it flops, there'll be far less studio tolerance with risk-taking. The casting for this was risky (still not seen it by the way, so I can't comment on how it's turned out), and if it really has been one of the main things that've totally ruined the film for many, the cheeses in charge will probably do everything the safe way from now on, from the director down. I could be wrong though, hope so.

If I want any sort of comicbook film, I want a film that just takes everyone unawares with its writing, an unusual/weird take on the medium, and not simply weird as in shambolically mashed together (unless that works for it!). I don't really care if that results in a box office bomb, but of course this is a commercial war between two corporate juggernauts more than anything, so they do.

You really appreciate the proper intrepid, brave filmmakers after a certain number of hack flicks have washed over you.
"under-promise and over-deliver"

Offline Walk On

• Legacy Fan
  • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart ...
« Reply #42232 on: March 31, 2016, 01:39:52 pm »
If I want any sort of comicbook film, I want a film that just takes everyone unawares with its writing, an unusual/weird take on the medium, and not simply weird as in shambolically mashed together (unless that works for it!). I don't really care if that results in a box office bomb, but of course this is a commercial war between two corporate juggernauts more than anything, so they do.

You really appreciate the proper intrepid, brave filmmakers after a certain number of hack flicks have washed over you.
This.

I think that's why the likes of Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy, etc. were well received.  They might not have been colossal box-office successes but were not over-hyped to the point of failure.

I'll probably end up watching BvS but will not be expected much... and the same with Civil War.  It seems like they've milked the characters for all they're worth and are now trying to merge various comics to the point where it all nonsense...

- Rebuilding the Bastion

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42233 on: March 31, 2016, 07:18:46 pm »
Wow! Just wow! It was absolutely fucking dreadful.....and that's from someone who will watch almost anything! Some of the sets pieces were pretty good but that aside it's worthless.
Worst super hero film I can recall watching this century! I actually nodded off at one point. And Affleck's depiction of Batman is the worst of any ever committed to film, but you can't put all the blame on him.
Supposedly one of the smartest super heroes of all-time and his excuse for getting caught planting a bug? Looking for the lav! Unfuckingbelievable! Kill if, kill it with fire!
All that said it still wasn't even close to being as bad as London has Fallen, which was a bigger turd than the brother from Weird Science!

Was it worse than Terminator 5?

Thats my marker of shite. Higher or Lower than a Terminator 5?

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #42234 on: March 31, 2016, 07:21:51 pm »

You haven't watched the new Fantastic Four have you?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42235 on: March 31, 2016, 07:43:12 pm »
Was it worse than Terminator 5?

Thats my marker of shite. Higher or Lower than a Terminator 5?
I would say about bang on and that's a fucking high...low :-\ grade of shit!
You haven't watched the new Fantastic Four have you?
Yeah man, agree that was a fucking turd but I was defo worse....or at least that's how it seems being burnt into my short term memory!

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #42236 on: March 31, 2016, 07:44:19 pm »
Yeah man, agree that was a fucking turd but I was defo worse....or at least that's how it seems being burnt into my short term memory!

To be fair I haven't seen the new B v S but I can't imagine it's worse than FF.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42237 on: March 31, 2016, 07:50:20 pm »
To be fair I haven't seen the new B v S but I can't imagine it's worse than FF.
FF kinda washed over me, knew it was gunna be shite and it was. Wasn't attached or invested in any of the characters so didn't give a fuck how they were depicted.

Batman basically being a fucking simpleton, to the point hat he does a fucking Rocky weight lifting training montage prior to fighting Superman (yeah you're going to beat him with brute strength) annoyed me so much I almost walked out!

FF maybe a worse film but I barely recall it let alone had any sort of emotional response to it.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42238 on: April 1, 2016, 01:52:41 pm »
watched The Nasty Girl and Southbound. Nasty Girl was somewhat intriguing and interestingly made but didn't exactly pack a punch.
Southbound i couldn't even finish, just nodded off.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #42239 on: April 1, 2016, 04:00:44 pm »
Thats poor John Hurt dead within a year then Im sure this film is cursed.

Terry Gilliam gets greenlight to restart Don Quixote film

Jack O’Connell and John Hurt to star in long-delayed Cervantes adaptation that was abandoned in 1999 after series of disasters struck shoot

Terry Gilliam finally has the go-ahead to restart shooting on his long-delayed adaptation of Cervantes’ Don Quixote 17 years after it was abandoned, it has been announced.

According to the Hollywood Reporter, The Man Who Killed Don Quixote will begin filming in September after financing was provided by Cosmopolis producer Paulo Branco. The budget has been set at €16m (Ł12.8m), and the film will feature John Hurt and Unbroken’s Jack O’Connell in roles originally occupied by Jean Rochefort and Johnny Depp

As suggested by Gilliam in 2014, it would appear that the film’s plot has substantially evolved from the Depp/Rochefort version, which involved a time-travelling commercials director who meets Quixote in the 17th century. Now it seems O’Connell will play a film-maker in a modern day setting – a self-reflexive theme in which Gilliam references his own failure to make the film the first time around. “It’s more about how movies can damage people,” Gilliam said at the time.

Gilliam’s crisis-ridden first attempt to make the film was chronicled in the 2002 documentary Lost in La Mancha, which revealed the series of disasters that hit the production, including flash floods and constant aircraft noise and culminating in Rochefort becoming too ill to continue. The film was shut down and a $15m insurance claim was made.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/apr/01/terry-gilliam-to-restart-don-quixote-cervantes-film-john-hurt-jack-o-connell?CMP=twt_gu
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.