Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3467461 times)

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #42080 on: March 15, 2016, 07:33:38 pm »
Yiannis, I am your opposite, I hardly ever see anything new since the early 90s. No wonder when taking my 8 yr old was £24 with a small drink and popcorn last week, that is robbery.
 Re older film recommendations: If you say the Coen's are your bag, you probably have a handle on 90's indie cinema, but if not, google that ( I would single out the Jarmusch directed as favourites), then go back to 70's US indie cinema. There's a ton of great French films from the 50s to 90s. A simple thing that works is to check out the BFI catalogue of DVD's. If they issue it as a DVD or Blu Ray, it acts as a trademark of quality, for me at least.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:38:52 pm by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42081 on: March 15, 2016, 07:49:38 pm »
First red-band trailer for Seth Rogen’s Sausage Party

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/c7fP9q_LyDc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/c7fP9q_LyDc</a>
Not sure why, but watching that just pissed me off. The potato having an Irish accent was bad enough, but this looks like it was the brainchild of a 5 year old. The sausage and the hotdog bun: it's funny cause it has sexual undertones, and they're animated, right? Right? Hilarious.  Seth Rogen can get to fuck!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 07:51:28 pm by Macphisto80 »

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #42082 on: March 15, 2016, 07:54:15 pm »
Not sure why, but watching that just pissed me off. The potato having an Irish accent was bad enough, but this looks like it was the brainchild of a 5 year old. The sausage and the hotdog bun: it's funny cause it has sexual undertones, and they're animated, right? Right? Hilarious.  Seth Rogen can get to fuck!

:lmao
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #42083 on: March 15, 2016, 08:34:07 pm »
Other old films to watch.

Paths of Glory
Citizen Kane
It’s a Wonderful Life
Taxi Driver
The Grapes of Wrath
Dr. Strangelove
The African Queen
The cruel sea
All Quiet on the Western Front
Shane
Duck Soup
Midnight Cowboy
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #42084 on: March 15, 2016, 08:54:24 pm »
If someone is exploring British Film and hasn't checked out The Wicker Man, they should be burnt at the stake.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #42085 on: March 16, 2016, 05:34:21 am »

Haha  ;D You're not wrong, Mac. Once again, Rogen and Co. get high, have a "hilarious" idea, and spend millions of dollars to make a movie out of it. And how much do you wonder they spent on that voice "talent"? I almost feel sorry for the money, the actual dollar bills, having to be spent on shite like this. They should make a movie where dollar bills and coins scream because they are being used to fund a gash stoner movie.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #42086 on: March 16, 2016, 08:14:19 am »
Wow...Sausage Party - what can you actually say?
How does a film like that get made, honestly.

:o
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42087 on: March 16, 2016, 11:57:43 am »
Genuinely looking forward to Sausage Party. I think it looks quite funny and I'll go and switch off for a bit and have a laugh at it

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #42088 on: March 16, 2016, 12:08:28 pm »
I'll watch Sausage Party eventually, doesn't look like something I'd see in the cinema but it'll be entertaining enough.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42089 on: March 16, 2016, 02:01:02 pm »

That was my first thought too. Comedy trailers are always a bit shit though, the jokes have to be quick with little to no context, even the funniest shows and movies have been reduced to fart noises and dirty swears for the trailer.

Still I probably won't be watching this in the cinema.

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42090 on: March 16, 2016, 05:26:23 pm »
regarding recommending older movies, this might be a bit random but The Andromeda Strain has long been one of my favorites.
the cinematography and soundtrack make for excellent atmosphere.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:20:28 pm by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #42091 on: March 16, 2016, 06:13:42 pm »
regarding recommending older movies, this might be a bit random but The Andromeda Strain has long been one of my favorites. the cinematography and soundtrack make for excellent atmosphere.

Great call. Amazing movie, even now. Throw THX1138 into the mix for a cracking double bill.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #42092 on: March 16, 2016, 06:40:55 pm »
Great call. Amazing movie, even now. Throw THX1138 into the mix for a cracking double bill.

Yeah good call!

Soylent Green
Invasion of the body snatchers
Close encounters of the 3rd kind
The Thing
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 06:45:10 pm by johnsmithlfc »
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42093 on: March 16, 2016, 07:02:16 pm »
regarding recommending older movies, this might be a bit random but The Andromeda Strain has long been one of my favorites. the cinematography and soundtrack make for excellent atmosphere.
That was remade recently as a TV series, wasn't it? I never watched it, but it apparently wasn't very good. Pity, because it's a concept that deserves a proper big screen treatment, but in a more subdued lower budget manner like Ex_Machina.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42094 on: March 16, 2016, 11:23:02 pm »
That was remade recently as a TV series, wasn't it? I never watched it, but it apparently wasn't very good. Pity, because it's a concept that deserves a proper big screen treatment, but in a more subdued lower budget manner like Ex_Machina.

yeah, havent gotten round to watching it though, havent got my hopes up cant say. Ex_Machina though, great movie.
oh and if the poster hasn't watched the first two Alien and Terminator movies and the first Robocop. get on top of that asap!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 11:34:50 pm by Pelé as a Comedian »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42095 on: March 16, 2016, 11:24:19 pm »

Yeah good call!

Soylent Green
Invasion of the body snatchers
Close encounters of the 3rd kind
The Thing

best horror movie ever?

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #42096 on: March 16, 2016, 11:26:59 pm »

Offline Haemoglobin

• The Phantom Drive-By Dunker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nunca Caminarás Solo
« Reply #42097 on: March 16, 2016, 11:33:56 pm »
best horror movie ever?
In terms of atmosphere and ingenious queasy old-school special effects, it's got to be right up there. Brilliant, imagination-kindling creature as well.

I always felt it dropped in quality a tad just before the end, bit of a rush-job maybe, but then pulls it round with a superb closing act.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 09:36:58 am by Haemoglobin »
"under-promise and over-deliver"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42098 on: March 16, 2016, 11:38:20 pm »
Alien?
brilliant for sure. but the medium is visual, and few movies get as much in your face like The Thing. having said that, it was a tongue in cheek rhetorical question from me.
im a firm believer in there being no such thing as GOAT or Best EVER OF ALL TIME EVER. its all subjective.

for me its The Thing though.

Spoiler
just small things, scenes that make such an impact like when the imposter Fuchs sits half transformed in the snow, they surround it and burn it, so much tension and empathy. "but ive known Fuchs for 10 years!?!"
[close]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:15:56 am by Pelé as a Comedian »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42099 on: March 17, 2016, 12:10:19 am »
also, watched Last Shift, decent enough if uninspired. mostly just a stand out performance by the lead actress despite a weak script. a few nice scenes that worked well enough.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 12:12:46 am by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42100 on: March 17, 2016, 09:09:51 am »
Went to see The Witch on Sunday. It was excellent, full of menace and moral ambiguity, I thoroughly enjoyed it. As expected the score was haunting and really added to the overall atmosphere.

Spoiler
Although the daughter becoming a witch in the final scenes after being accused for most of the film was a fitting end/climax, the tone of the last 5 minutes or so really jarred against the feel of the rest of the movie. Couldn't shake that off, it was almost comical, took the shine off what could have been a great film.
[close]

And went to see King Fu Panda 3 last night which was quite frankly, amazing, laughed for almost the whole film. Funny, warm, witty, smart and at times beautiful to look at (the training montage stood out). A a charming film that young or old, everyone can enjoy.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42101 on: March 17, 2016, 11:19:52 am »
brilliant for sure. but the medium is visual, and few movies get as much in your face like The Thing. having said that, it was a tongue in cheek rhetorical question from me.
im a firm believer in there being no such thing as GOAT or Best EVER OF ALL TIME EVER. its all subjective.

for me its The Thing though.

Spoiler
just small things, scenes that make such an impact like when the imposter Fuchs sits half transformed in the snow, they surround it and burn it, so much tension and empathy. "but ive known Fuchs for 10 years!?!"
[close]
There is....it's called The Exorcist.

The Thing isn't even Carpenters best horror movie.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42102 on: March 17, 2016, 12:00:02 pm »
Sometimes I feel that your love of Ice Cube blinkers you to the real truth! It's not Ghosts of Mars but Big Trouble that is of course his finest and most enjoyable film! ;) 8) :wave

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42103 on: March 17, 2016, 12:03:54 pm »
There is....it's called The Exorcist.

im curious though, whats Carpenters best horror movie then. in your opinion.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42104 on: March 17, 2016, 01:06:36 pm »
I'm curious though, what's Carpenter's best horror movie then, in your opinion?
I would guess....
Spoiler
They Live
[close]

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42105 on: March 17, 2016, 01:14:35 pm »

im curious though, whats Carpenters best horror movie then. in your opinion.
They Live and Halloween are both better films, for me, and are original material unlike The Thing.

The Exorcist is a game changer for the genre, the Thing...is an alright film. They're not comparable.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline GinKop

• He's going to run to you (ooh-oooh). Knows a techtard when he sees one
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FORZA MILANO
« Reply #42106 on: March 17, 2016, 01:19:46 pm »
Any fans of martial arts/kung fu films on RAWK? Both modern day and golden era?
JFT97

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42107 on: March 17, 2016, 01:25:06 pm »
Kung Fu Hustle was a recent unexpected gem. Crouching Tiger, Hero and Flying Daggers redefined a genre for me.

In short yes.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42108 on: March 17, 2016, 01:25:33 pm »
They Live and Halloween are both better films, for me, and are original material unlike The Thing.

The Exorcist is a game changer for the genre, the Thing...is an alright film. They're not comparable.

i wouldn't classify They Live as a horror movie. and just for shits and giggles i'll raise you 9th Configuration > The Exorcist.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42109 on: March 17, 2016, 01:26:49 pm »

Ha ha who sucked the jam outta your doughnut? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42110 on: March 17, 2016, 01:27:23 pm »

used to be a big kung fu buff, not so much anymore but Dao / The Blade is prob my fav movie ever. excellent, almost nihilistic, kung fu.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42111 on: March 17, 2016, 01:30:30 pm »
As a film, not a horror film, but just looking at purely from a film making perspective, Carpenters The Thing is almost as good as it gets. It's almost a perfect film. The horror element is just one faction of what makes it so good to watch. You couldn't classify it as purely being a horror, nor could you classify The Exorcist for being the same. It's similar in that it's almost a perfect film. It has all the ingredients and it hits each and every mark it aims for, but they are both two entirely different films. You have to separate and appreciate both for what they are distinctly instead of trying to compare the two.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #42112 on: March 17, 2016, 01:30:37 pm »
Watched Lost in Translation for the first time last night.....

Good grief what a pile of pointless shite that is, aside from the first shot.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Macphisto80

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42113 on: March 17, 2016, 01:32:57 pm »
Watched Lost in Translation for the first time last night.....

Good grief what a pile of pointless shite that is, aside from the first shot.
Now you've done it. Andy will be in any second now.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42114 on: March 17, 2016, 01:42:08 pm »
i wouldn't classify They Live as a horror movie. and just for shits and giggles i'll raise you 9th Configuration > The Exorcist.
Do either of the films you mention have the impact that The Exorcist did...no.

Prior to Friedkin making that film the horror genre was...panto horror...see the Hammer films...other than The Innocents I don't recall ever being scared by a movie.....The Exorcist had people fainting and throwing up in the cinema....that's a proper horror film. ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42115 on: March 17, 2016, 01:42:54 pm »
Ha ha who sucked the jam outta your doughnut? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
You know I'm off doughnuts...coz am a fat c*nt. ;D

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42116 on: March 17, 2016, 01:53:41 pm »
You know I'm off doughnuts...coz am a fat c*nt. ;D
I've shed 4 kgs since the start of Feb.....still a fat chubby fuck though ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :wave

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42117 on: March 17, 2016, 01:54:37 pm »
What about Jaws? Has to be in with a shout of best horror film ever made surely?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #42118 on: March 17, 2016, 02:05:41 pm »
What about Jaws? Has to be in with a shout of best horror film ever made surely?

for sure, but like i alluded to earlier, its all subjective. dave likes the exorcist, i like the thing..

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42119 on: March 17, 2016, 02:07:05 pm »
I find myself laughing at the shark though. I must admit to loving the book and the film.

The difference in opinions is simply down to age. I read Blatty's book when I was 11 and saw the film when I was 13/14. That sub genre is as cliched as it get's and people are also inured to onscreen violence now...back when The Exorcist was shown people were walking out as they couldn't cope with what they were seeing...it is, for me anyway, the Citizen Kane of horror.