Author Topic: What's your bold predictions for the next season?  (Read 150474 times)

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
Re: What's your bold predictions for the next season?
« Reply #560 on: August 15, 2019, 09:19:03 pm »
Bold predictions from pundits..

Wrighty and Shearer again with backing us for the league.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #561 on: August 15, 2019, 09:28:31 pm »

Micah Richards is now a pundit? Well you learn something everyday.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #562 on: September 1, 2019, 08:15:34 am »
Market correction as in what eventually happens when we challenge for the league the previous seasons (in recent years that is). The trend is that.....something always happen the following season to screw it up. Its like what happens when your stock goes super high, the next day it eventually goes down a little due to correction (people selling...etc).

a)The season we came in 2nd under rafa - We did not challenge the following season due to a a civil war with 2 leeches.
b)The season we came in 2nd under rodgers - Bad transfer strategy of replacing suarez with the likes of balotelli and lambert. And getting unlucky with injuries with sturridge.

I can even go back to the houllier years but i think you get the drift.

For this season, it could be a due to not having an ideal pre-season.  It could be also due to a huge drop in quality if we have to replace one or 2 of our front 3 due to injuries. Bringing origi and shaqiri to replace firmino and salah later in the season (where our fitness and defensive shape is peak) is different from asking origi and ox to be among our front 3 in the starting games.

To summarize, i have not seen us challenge for the title 2 years in succession for decades and us not getting a good attacker and capable leftback could be the reason for this season.

How is that market correction working out?

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #563 on: September 1, 2019, 08:34:14 am »
Sorry PoP.... ;D

Who is finishing 2nd and what makes them better placed than us?

Your nemesis - Spurs :)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #564 on: September 3, 2019, 01:08:24 pm »
I actually think we're going to win that elusive PL title this season. 

I just don't see who or what will stop us, we seem so focused, confident and determined that we can overcome any obstacle thrown in our path.

My hubby said after the game on Saturday "You're not going to lose this season are you?  Something's changed, there's no panic now you just get on with it knowing you'll get the win".

I agree with him, we seem unflappable, we have no fear.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #565 on: September 3, 2019, 01:26:12 pm »
I actually think we're going to win that elusive PL title this season. 

I just don't see who or what will stop us, we seem so focused, confident and determined that we can overcome any obstacle thrown in our path.

My hubby said after the game on Saturday "You're not going to lose this season are you?  Something's changed, there's no panic now you just get on with it knowing you'll get the win".

I agree with him, we seem unflappable, we have no fear.

It seems to be the prevailing view amongst non Liverpool supporting mates as well. I have spoken to a Crystal Palace fan and a Newcastle fan. Both said that they think we will probably sneak it this year and that we look like a winning machine.

I don`t think my nerves will take it !
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #566 on: September 3, 2019, 02:48:49 pm »
It seems to be the prevailing view amongst non Liverpool supporting mates as well. I have spoken to a Crystal Palace fan and a Newcastle fan. Both said that they think we will probably sneak it this year and that we look like a winning machine.

I don`t think my nerves will take it !
Yeah it's like a begrudging acceptance that we're really quite good and the progress we've all been banging on about over the last few years was real and not our "delusion".

Oh and your nerves will be fine [emoji16]

Offline demain

• Shambolic
  • Kopite
  • 'ŕ quoi bon ?'
« Reply #567 on: September 4, 2019, 08:02:55 am »

He kinda slips under the radar here when discussing atrocious pundits, but the fuck was Gullit smoking while he made that prediction ? Probably hoping for a call from his old club, seeing how they have already appointed an ex-player with no discernible managerial talent.
'Ever bought a fake picture, Toby?'
'Sold a couple once.'
'The more you pay for it, the less inclined you are to doubt its authenticity.'

Online Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #568 on: September 4, 2019, 09:11:10 am »
I think we will really struggle in the league. I dont think we are ready to go for another quick start in the league. The CL final, the parade and the international tournaments that followed has taken a big toll in the squad. I see us fighting for 2nd with Spurs.
Charity shield, super cup, world cup, all those things will derail us in the league.

I don't want to pick on this post in particular but there was a lot of negativity on here following the lack of transfer activity and the relatively poor pre-season result. A number of people concerned about how the Community Shield, Super Cup and World Club Cup may have an effect due to the extra games.

Based on this a number of posters were expecting a poor start to the season. A number were expecting Top 4 rather than a title tilt.

It's foolish to revise any predictions based on 4 league games. Who knows what happens in the coming 6 months with form and injuries. But we now have the Super Cup and Community Shield out of the way. We have 2 additional games in the World Club Cup still to add but 1 of those will be against a low level opposition. On paper we also have a relatively straight forward CL group with only limited travel. We also have lower league opposition in the League Cup 4th round.

Based on the above and our start to the league season, has anyone revised their bold predictions for the season? Is there anyone who thought we'd be looking at Top 4 at best that has revised their opinion. Or is there still the belief that squad depth and fixture congestion will ultimately bring us back into the pack and be fighting it out for Top 4 for Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and United?
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #569 on: September 4, 2019, 10:52:07 am »
Based on the above and our start to the league season, has anyone revised their bold predictions for the season? Is there anyone who thought we'd be looking at Top 4 at best that has revised their opinion. Or is there still the belief that squad depth and fixture congestion will ultimately bring us back into the pack and be fighting it out for Top 4 for Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea and United?

I'll be less diplomatic than you, Jookie. Anyone who thought that prior to the season was nonsensically pessimistic and anyone who still thinks that is wilfully ignorant.

I'll throw Rory Smith into the former category for predicting Spurs would finish above us. I thought and still think they'll have enough to get third but they're not finishing within 5-10 points of us.

It's mad that a lot of neutrals have cottoned onto how good this Liverpool team is before a lot of Liverpool fans have.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2019, 10:59:36 am by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #570 on: September 4, 2019, 11:49:49 am »
I don't want to pick on this post in particular but there was a lot of negativity on here following the lack of transfer activity and the relatively poor pre-season result. A number of people concerned about how the Community Shield, Super Cup and World Club Cup may have an effect due to the extra games.

Based on this a number of posters were expecting a poor start to the season. A number were expecting Top 4 rather than a title tilt.

It's foolish to revise any predictions based on 4 league games. Who knows what happens in the coming 6 months with form and injuries. But we now have the Super Cup and Community Shield out of the way. We have 2 additional games in the World Club Cup still to add but 1 of those will be against a low level opposition. On paper we also have a relatively straight forward CL group with only limited travel. We also have lower league opposition in the League Cup 4th round.

Great post. My personal predictions remain the same - that we'll push City all the way and will pip them to the title this time.

The negativity surrounding our signings, pre-season and additional tournaments was OTT on here from many fans (especially considering the quality of our pre-season opponents), and its good to see we've continued where we left off last season.

One of the biggest factors as you noted is the easier CL group - the difference this year compared to having to play PSG and Napoli twice plus tricky fixtures against Red Star is huge (it's worth remembering we lost 3 games and were level on points and goal difference with Napoli in the group table, and only went through on total goals scored). It's a shame City also have an easy group (again...), but at least we're in the same boat and hopefully they go deeper into the competition this year - not only so we can knock them out on route to another final, but so they're also distracted further into the season with a competition that their players, manager, fans and owners desperately want to win.

A lot will also depend on the domestic cups - yes, an easier draw in the league cup is nice, but if we go on good runs in both the League cup and FA cup then our number of games and squad fatigue may be a factor if we're still fighting on 4 fronts in March. Nice problems to have though  :)

Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal are nowhere near our quality or consistency, and Spurs threw away a two goal lead last week to their biggest rivals and have an unsettled Eriksen and only 5 points from 4 matches. City have Laporte out long term which means if other teams can get through their midfield, then they're more vulnerable than they were last year - they have the squad to cover his position, but are weakened nonetheless. We've also broken 2 records in the last week - most wins in a row, and winning our opening four games in consecutive seasons, plus we've won six away games in a row to equal a club record.

It's all looking good so far for another great season, and we still have Keita, Ox and Gomez to fully integrate into the squad. Great times 8)
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #571 on: September 4, 2019, 11:51:47 am »
I'll be less diplomatic than you, Jookie. Anyone who thought that prior to the season was nonsensically pessimistic

I was one of them. But I also changed it after the Community Shield to say we'll win it :D

So basically I'm flaky is the main takeaway here
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #572 on: September 4, 2019, 12:34:30 pm »
Thought top 2 is us and City, not sure of positions and haven't changed from that.

Main worries were around injuries/form of key players hurting us more than it would City and that will be my only concerns throughout the season.

They have Laporte out for a while which is not great news for them. Only Alisson's injury for us just as crucial but hopefully he can come back soon, and Keita too at some point.

I know, we know that the reds are mustard so just have to hope we carry on with this good start. CL group and League cup has been a nice surprise mind.

Also having won a piece of silverware already.
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #573 on: September 4, 2019, 12:39:55 pm »
Great post. My personal predictions remain the same - that we'll push City all the way and will pip them to the title this time.

The negativity surrounding our signings, pre-season and additional tournaments was OTT on here from many fans (especially considering the quality of our pre-season opponents), and its good to see we've continued where we left off last season.

One of the biggest factors as you noted is the easier CL group - the difference this year compared to having to play PSG and Napoli twice plus tricky fixtures against Red Star is huge (it's worth remembering we lost 3 games and were level on points and goal difference with Napoli in the group table, and only went through on total goals scored). It's a shame City also have an easy group (again...), but at least we're in the same boat and hopefully they go deeper into the competition this year - not only so we can knock them out on route to another final, but so they're also distracted further into the season with a competition that their players, manager, fans and owners desperately want to win.

A lot will also depend on the domestic cups - yes, an easier draw in the league cup is nice, but if we go on good runs in both the League cup and FA cup then our number of games and squad fatigue may be a factor if we're still fighting on 4 fronts in March. Nice problems to have though  :)

Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal are nowhere near our quality or consistency, and Spurs threw away a two goal lead last week to their biggest rivals and have an unsettled Eriksen and only 5 points from 4 matches. City have Laporte out long term which means if other teams can get through their midfield, then they're more vulnerable than they were last year - they have the squad to cover his position, but are weakened nonetheless. We've also broken 2 records in the last week - most wins in a row, and winning our opening four games in consecutive seasons, plus we've won six away games in a row to equal a club record.

It's all looking good so far for another great season, and we still have Keita, Ox and Gomez to fully integrate into the squad. Great times 8)

I'm the same in that I haven't really changed my thought process based on what has happened so far this season.

I think we'll probably come 2nd but be closer points wise to City than the 3rd place team is to us. I can see us finishing around 90 points. Not because of anything we've done, or will do, anything wrong but more so because I think putting up consecutive seasons of +95 points is an almost impossible task.

I like our CL group because it looks a straight forward passage with manageable travel. I do think RB Salzburg may be a bigger challenge then some people are expecting though. However, we should be looking to qualify from the group after 5 games and hopefully we can utilise the Genk home game and the final group game to rotate significantly. If we can do that, it potentially negates some of the additional games from the Super Cup and World Club Cup.

The domestic cups I'd like to see used to give squad players games and allow them some playing rhythm. That could help them if they are subseqeuntly dropped in during CL or league games. Adrian, Lovren, Gomez, Milner, Lallana, Keita, Shaqiri, Origi, AOC should all be starting the MK Dons game if fit. We can then supplement the squad with a few youngsters -  Larouci, Hoever, van den Berg, Jones, Brewster.  That would give our 1st XI a midweek off but also allow squad players to get game time and a select number of promising youngsters to get 1st team experience.

I suppose my original post this morning wasn't to point the finger at anyone who thought we'd struggle this season. We may still struggle this season. It was a genuine question about whether people changed their opinion or not based on what how we've played so far, the CL draw and seeing the other teams in action.
« Last Edit: September 4, 2019, 12:41:52 pm by Jookie »

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #574 on: September 4, 2019, 01:32:36 pm »
I suppose my original post this morning wasn't to point the finger at anyone who thought we'd struggle this season. We may still struggle this season. It was a genuine question about whether people changed their opinion or not based on what how we've played so far, the CL draw and seeing the other teams in action.
What I did think was that our start isn't the easiest. My feeling was that if we could get to the City game more or less on level pegging then it's game on. Although it's only 4 games in, it's very pleasing that we're already in a position to do just that. I think the head to heads could be absolutely vital, and I'm not convinced that the 90 point barrier is what it was. I mean, you hadn't seen it broken in Spain until Real and Barca spent a good decade with either one or both of them regularly smashing it. Us and city are so far ahead of the rest that I don't think it's impossible at all, and I think the head-to-head matches are absolutely vital.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #575 on: September 4, 2019, 01:46:10 pm »
I'm the same in that I haven't really changed my thought process based on what has happened so far this season.

I think we'll probably come 2nd but be closer points wise to City than the 3rd place team is to us. I can see us finishing around 90 points. Not because of anything we've done, or will do, anything wrong but more so because I think putting up consecutive seasons of +95 points is an almost impossible task.

I like our CL group because it looks a straight forward passage with manageable travel. I do think RB Salzburg may be a bigger challenge then some people are expecting though. However, we should be looking to qualify from the group after 5 games and hopefully we can utilise the Genk home game and the final group game to rotate significantly. If we can do that, it potentially negates some of the additional games from the Super Cup and World Club Cup.

The domestic cups I'd like to see used to give squad players games and allow them some playing rhythm. That could help them if they are subseqeuntly dropped in during CL or league games. Adrian, Lovren, Gomez, Milner, Lallana, Keita, Shaqiri, Origi, AOC should all be starting the MK Dons game if fit. We can then supplement the squad with a few youngsters -  Larouci, Hoever, van den Berg, Jones, Brewster.  That would give our 1st XI a midweek off but also allow squad players to get game time and a select number of promising youngsters to get 1st team experience.

I agree that some of the latter CL games (if we've qualified) would almost cancel out the additional games this season - City qualified after match day 4 last season (although still played a strong side in match day 5 to win the group). Certainly the pressure to qualify was off for them in early November, whereas we were still slugging it out in mid December to beat Napoli and get through.

Regarding your point about two 95+ seasons being almost impossible - that's probably because its only ever been done once before. However, I think the goalposts have changed so much in the last 18 months in that us and City have become relentless machines - capable of beating bottom 10 sides consistently and taking points from rivals. We may be entering an era like La Liga used to be, where the top two are miles ahead and the chasing pack are out of the race by February/March.

As much as last season was a big leap in terms of points gained over 2017/18, the fact that we did it whilst beating Bayern, Barca, and PSG plus every bottom 10 PL side (home and away) tells me that perhaps something big has shifted - not just having better players, but that Klopp and the team have sussed the league out like City did two season earlier. Our shift under Klopp from the early days of heavy metal football to a more measured and controlled approach certainly seems to have made us more consistent and patient as a team, and much better at managing games.

Lower league opposition in the cups will absolutely help, and the players you listed are all good enough to beat those types of sides and give our first 11 some rest, without the club being accused of not taking the competitions seriously. I imagine City's domestic cup runs and rotation last season did wonders for squad morale given the easy games they had to reach both finals.

Nothing's guaranteed of course, but it does feel we've finally arrived at the place we've all talked about for years, where everything just works - from manager, to players, recruitment, owners and everything in between, and we no longer talk about 3-4 top players needed each summer to fix our problems. I also don't feel as desperate for the title (or as disappointed when we fall short) as I did in 2008/9 or 2013/14 as it feels like we'll challenge for a long time now, instead of relying on the stars aligning every 5 years and then it all going pear shaped for a while. The champions league win is also a monkey off Klopp and the team's backs in terms of success, which I think will keep them hungry for more whilst being under slightly less pressure than last season.

Edit: HBHR beat me to it with the La Liga analogy. Great minds  ;)
« Last Edit: September 4, 2019, 01:47:44 pm by keyop »

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #576 on: September 4, 2019, 01:48:51 pm »
He kinda slips under the radar here when discussing atrocious pundits, but the fuck was Gullit smoking while he made that prediction ? Probably hoping for a call from his old club, seeing how they have already appointed an ex-player with no discernible managerial talent.

Gullit is a massively biased and shite pundit. I saw a video where a few of those pundits for BBC were discussing the All-Time greatest foreign players for each position and Gullit was the only person who was hell bent on Drogba over the likes of Henry, Aguero and Suarez for the striker position.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #577 on: September 4, 2019, 02:03:01 pm »
What I did think was that our start isn't the easiest. My feeling was that if we could get to the City game more or less on level pegging then it's game on. Although it's only 4 games in, it's very pleasing that we're already in a position to do just that. I think the head to heads could be absolutely vital, and I'm not convinced that the 90 point barrier is what it was. I mean, you hadn't seen it broken in Spain until Real and Barca spent a good decade with either one or both of them regularly smashing it. Us and city are so far ahead of the rest that I don't think it's impossible at all, and I think the head-to-head matches are absolutely vital.

Absolutely this. Something I think we're benefitting from too - currently - is something we saw a lot with city last season [and probably the season prior too] in that if we're a goal up early enough a lot of teams will mentally 'give up'. I felt like that happened v burnley and we should have scored at least 2 more. I think when some of the lower ranked teams come to anfield, they'll be beaten before a ball is kicked.

Before that city game there's trips to old trafford, stamford bridge and home games v spurs and leicester - if we came out of those 4 with 10+ points then we're in for a very similar ride to last year in terms of the league season and we'll be into a 'who blinks first' contest with city again.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #578 on: September 4, 2019, 02:45:52 pm »

Maybe he is looking for another chance at the gig.

But of course anyone who knows anything about football and most who don’t, know who the top 2 will be. To say anything else is either stupidity or to seek attention

I’m assuming the latter as he’s paid to talk bollocks
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #579 on: September 4, 2019, 03:47:21 pm »
oi. No one has mentioned leicester for top 4. So I will make the bold prediction. Leicester in top 4  :)

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #580 on: September 4, 2019, 04:39:49 pm »
I also don't feel as desperate for the title (or as disappointed when we fall short) as I did in 2008/9 or 2013/14 as it feels like we'll challenge for a long time now, instead of relying on the stars aligning every 5 years and then it all going pear shaped for a while. The champions league win is also a monkey off Klopp and the team's backs in terms of success, which I think will keep them hungry for more whilst being under slightly less pressure than last season.

Edit: HBHR beat me to it with the La Liga analogy. Great minds  ;)

The La Liga comparison is an interesting one. Probably need to see another year or 2 of City and Liverpool putting up +90 points before we can say this league is going that way.

I agree with the quote above. Definitely doesn't feel like last season was our only chance at winning the title with this team. However, we know as much as anyone that football is cyclical. This team has been in the making for a number of seasons. I think last season was the start of it's peak years. That peak won't last forever though. It's also likely that the architect of this team won't be there in 5 years time. So whilst I agree with the assertion that this team can challenge for the title across multiple seasons, I personally wouldn't be as bullish as a saying we can challenge for a 'long time' (I'm making the assumption here that a long time is >5 years). Within the cycle of this team we should be able to challenge and should expect to pick up more trophies. Beyond that cycle (which I would say the peak years should last until 2022-ish) then I think there's less certainty about where we'll be placed as a club with regards to trophy challenges.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #581 on: September 4, 2019, 08:26:05 pm »
The La Liga comparison is an interesting one. Probably need to see another year or 2 of City and Liverpool putting up +90 points before we can say this league is going that way.

I agree with the quote above. Definitely doesn't feel like last season was our only chance at winning the title with this team. However, we know as much as anyone that football is cyclical. This team has been in the making for a number of seasons. I think last season was the start of it's peak years. That peak won't last forever though. It's also likely that the architect of this team won't be there in 5 years time. So whilst I agree with the assertion that this team can challenge for the title across multiple seasons, I personally wouldn't be as bullish as a saying we can challenge for a 'long time' (I'm making the assumption here that a long time is >5 years). Within the cycle of this team we should be able to challenge and should expect to pick up more trophies. Beyond that cycle (which I would say the peak years should last until 2022-ish) then I think there's less certainty about where we'll be placed as a club with regards to trophy challenges.
I didn't put a time on it, but yes I'd hope we can challenge beyond 5 years, or at least not fall away so quickly as we've done before. You're right that Klopp has certainly been the architect and catalyst of our success, but we've put in place a vast amount of infrastructure, facilities, backroom staff and cultural changes to allow any replacement to thrive, especially with our finances in good shape and responsible owners who have learned from past mistakes.

Apart from Fergie at Utd, no-one has really built a dynasty since the 80's, although it could be argued that Wenger started the process well, but stayed too long and faded quickly. Other teams like Chelsea and City have simply bought their way to the titles, and the only reason their multiple managers have been able to get repeat success is through spending big. I'm not sure many managers like Klopp can turn so many good players into great players through coaching and man-management, and he may well be one of the last great coaches before money becomes the only difference maker in the sport.

I would hope that by the time he leaves, like Shankly, his philosophy, spirit and attitude are so ingrained in players, fans, owners and staff that we can hand the baton to someone else with more confidence, although I'm realistic enough not to expect a Shankly > Paisley > Fagan > Dalglish type of run, which has to be the best managerial relay race in football history.

Anyway, I'm getting carried away and straying off-topic a little but in the meantime, I'm savouring every moment of this season, and every season Klopp's with us as we watch this great team get better each year.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #582 on: September 4, 2019, 08:38:02 pm »
I think the head to heads could be absolutely vital, and I'm not convinced that the 90 point barrier is what it was. I mean, you hadn't seen it broken in Spain until Real and Barca spent a good decade with either one or both of them regularly smashing it.

Those two Spanish clubs are completely financially superior to the rest of their league though, which surely makes that easier to achieve than in England.

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #583 on: September 6, 2019, 12:53:44 pm »
I would hope that by the time he leaves, like Shankly, his philosophy, spirit and attitude are so ingrained in players, fans, owners and staff that we can hand the baton to someone else with more confidence, although I'm realistic enough not to expect a Shankly > Paisley > Fagan > Dalglish type of run, which has to be the best managerial relay race in football history.

To be honest, this is probably what United thought when Ferguson left. There is some mitigating circumstances around the Glazers and their set up, but I'm not sure United (or anyone) would have envisioned how much of their success was driven by Ferguson.

It doesn't mean we'll fall foul of the same thing. But there's a risk there, even if our footballing set up at all levels looks to be working optimally and in unison. The risk is that Klopp draws all these things together. That everyone is working well in their individual roles and teams but it's Klopp that elevates the club on the field to a sum that is greater than it's parts.

I think you can say similar for City. With their resources I think they'd challenge for the title with almost any manager in charge. However, I think very few managers are taking City to 198 points out of 228 over 2 league campaigns. What happens when Guardiola goes? Does his philosophy remain? Do they continue to rack up +95 point seasons? I'm not sure they do.

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #584 on: September 6, 2019, 02:47:18 pm »
To be honest, this is probably what United thought when Ferguson left. There is some mitigating circumstances around the Glazers and their set up, but I'm not sure United (or anyone) would have envisioned how much of their success was driven by Ferguson.

It doesn't mean we'll fall foul of the same thing. But there's a risk there, even if our footballing set up at all levels looks to be working optimally and in unison. The risk is that Klopp draws all these things together. That everyone is working well in their individual roles and teams but it's Klopp that elevates the club on the field to a sum that is greater than it's parts.

I think you can say similar for City. With their resources I think they'd challenge for the title with almost any manager in charge. However, I think very few managers are taking City to 198 points out of 228 over 2 league campaigns. What happens when Guardiola goes? Does his philosophy remain? Do they continue to rack up +95 point seasons? I'm not sure they do.

If guariola leaves before Klopp we will definitely win the league, no other manager will get that much out that City side

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
« Reply #585 on: September 6, 2019, 03:44:09 pm »
I’m confident we can do it,  but only if the front 3 go injury free.  Still questioning a lack of top quality rotation/back up.

Offline El choquero

• Kemlynite
« Reply #586 on: September 6, 2019, 06:18:37 pm »
I think its a toss up between us and city,  i think both will hit around 95 points. The difference will probably come down to getting 3 points away at the likes of Everton leicester when things arent going our way while missing/resting key players.
The mental fortitude this team has will probably edge it for us. I think we need to savour these days.

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #587 on: September 6, 2019, 10:07:32 pm »
I’m confident we can do it,  but only if the front 3 go injury free.  Still questioning a lack of top quality rotation/back up.
you should watch the Liverpool-Barcelona match again, I think.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline LanceLink!!!!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #588 on: January 3, 2020, 10:55:03 am »
We smash Norwich by 5 or 6 on Friday, go top and no fucker catches us.

We only scored 4 against Norwich, terrible prediction. 😀

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #589 on: January 30, 2020, 12:18:20 am »
I wouldn't. They've been going almost non stop for 2 years under a demanding manager and for their National teams. There's only so much petrol in the mental/physical tank. We need a 4th goalscorer to lighten the load, and a consistent partner for vvd. Plus, history shows Klopp teams having one drop-off season after a period of herculean effort. I think this could be that season for us.
How do you feel about the Herculean effort now? Is it repeatable?
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #590 on: January 30, 2020, 03:57:01 am »
How do you feel about the Herculean effort now? Is it repeatable?
Hercules did 12 labors, didn't he? So if last year was one, I'm looking forward to another decade. :)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #591 on: January 30, 2020, 06:59:06 am »
My bold prediction is that we will still be unbeaten at the end of Jan 2020, and I don't even reckon we'll have dropped 3 points! I know I'm probably just deluded, but surely this will be the year it all comes together?

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #592 on: January 30, 2020, 09:47:10 am »
I had a look at this thread the other week but didn't post in it.

Just wanted to remind myself who the cry arses where who were suggesting we'd be looking at Top 4 rather than a title challenge this season because we didn't sign another front 3 player this summer.

Offline Jon2lfc

• Legacy Fan
  • It's a blessing to be a Red :)
« Reply #593 on: January 30, 2020, 10:19:50 am »
Hercules did 12 labors, didn't he? So if last year was one, I'm looking forward to another decade. :)
Didn't know he was into midwifery.

We've had 30 years of no leagues.
Now it's 30 years of feasting on the fecker!

The Bastion Boys have been reincarnated as The Mentality Monsters!

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #594 on: July 27, 2020, 03:08:31 pm »
Bold prediction is that we finally win the league because City throw too much into the CL in April/May, and we get knocked out early.

League - Winners (90 points)
Champions League - QF
FA Cup - 5th Round
League Cup - QF
Community Shield - Winners
UEFA Super Cup - Winners
FIFA Club World Cup - Winners

Right on 5 of those.
One round off in the CL.
And 9 points more the league than I predicted.
YWNA

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #595 on: July 27, 2020, 03:15:10 pm »
Micah Richards is now a pundit? Well you learn something everyday.

Few saw this one coming...!

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #596 on: July 27, 2020, 03:19:25 pm »
Here's one I thought about during the March-June break actually...I'll call it for right at the end of the 2020-21 season or the start of the 2021-22 season:

Sadio Mane (currently 84) and Mo Salah (currently 75) to score their 100th Premier League goals in the same game.

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #597 on: July 27, 2020, 03:45:59 pm »
1. Only 1 team will get over 90 points in the league

2. Henderson plays more games as No6 than a No8

3. Lovren ends the season as 1st choice centre back alongside VvD

4. Wijnaldum starts most league games as our left forward in a 4-3-3 formation

5. Lallana makes over 20 starts across all comps

6. Hoever ends the season as back up right back to TAA. Gets more than 5 starts across the season

1. Got this correct

2. I think Henderson played more games as a No.6 than expected but still played more at No.8

3. Lovren sold rather than ending the season as 1st choice. Looked a time in autumn and early winter when this was possible though.

4. Who knows what I was thinking when I said this!

5. Lallana played in 22 games over all comps but 14 as sub. Not quite correct from my prediction.

6. Always felt like there was a place for someone to emerge as an option at right back. Hoever seemed best placed in pre-season but got usurped by Williams in the squad. Williams ended up with 11 appearance, including 8 starts, if you exclude the EFL trophy. Hoever only had 3 starts all season.

Not the best set of bold prediction from myself. Suppose it was better than saying we'd be fighting for 4th though  ;)

Online Jookie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #598 on: July 27, 2020, 03:48:04 pm »

Only Ruud Gullit got the 4 CL teams correct. Though any praise should be withheld when you look at the order he predicted teams would finish in the Top 4.

Online wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #599 on: July 27, 2020, 03:53:21 pm »
Will do expectations vs predicitions.

Expectations:

Top 3 finish.
CL quarters.
CWC winners
FA Cup - quarters
LC - quarters
Supercup - meh.

Less than 30 conceded.
More than 75 scored.

Predicitions:

2nd in league. Sorry, but even if we signed Mbappe, a LB and an AM that everyone wants I'd still have City down as favourites. Ridiculously balanced squad, incredible players. Experienced, young, one of best managers in the world. Been there and done ~100 point seasons twice, back to back.

CL, I think we'll go very close again. Tight semi final exit maybe but I think we'll make the final. This team over two legs is a beast and Anfield speaks for itself. City will need to be taken care of in this competition too.

Think we'll win the CWC comfortably. Not sure on supercup but at same time I literally don't care. Wouldn't swap a Premier league goal for that trophy.

Domestic cups, always depend on draws and expecially for the FA Cup, player fitness and availability after the most intense period of the season. Any sort of reasonable first round draws and I think we'll go deep. Will say we win one and get to quarters in the other.

General stuff:

We'll hit 88-93 points.
Keita has a superb season.
Ox plays ~40 games.
Brewster gets 10-15 in all comps. Going at about 1 in 2.

Hopes:

Obviously, that I'm wrong and we win everything!

Mainly though that the home crowd retains the composure and calmness that was the norm towards the end of the season, regardless of early form and results. There's the beginnings of discontent being shown, quite unbelievably, that remind me of the angst that grew with Rafa.

Not gonna bother for next season.

Edit - unless we're counting Brewster at Swansea? No? ok, forget it.