Author Topic: What's your bold predictions for the next season?  (Read 150443 times)

Offline KeithK83

• Kopite
  • Justice for the 96
Re: What's your bold predictions for the next season?
« Reply #440 on: July 31, 2019, 10:44:27 am »
we will win the league.

we will get to semis of CL

We will win one of League Cup or FA Cup

Walk on... Walk on... With Hope... In Your Heart

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #441 on: July 31, 2019, 10:46:32 am »
They also didn't draw very many. Turn some of those losses into draws, and we drop 20 points from last season, and suddenly it's a 3 way chase for positions 2-4.

But why are we changing those losses into draws and why are we dropping 20 points from last season? Most games that spurs lost that I saw we deserving defeats, and most results we had whether win or draw we deserved as well and I can only really think of 2 or 3 that ended up with a different result than the balance of play would have dictated.

People can make the valid point that we need to keep our front 3 fit but so do Spurs, and theirs are far more injury prone than ours.

The bottom line is spurs finished 26 points behind us last season and were considerably worse than us for the majority of the season. Unless that radically changes they’ll be finishing behind us again.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: July 31, 2019, 11:11:35 am »
But why are we changing those losses into draws and why are we dropping 20 points from last season? Most games that spurs lost that I saw we deserving defeats, and most results we had whether win or draw we deserved as well and I can only really think of 2 or 3 that ended up with a different result than the balance of play would have dictated.

People can make the valid point that we need to keep our front 3 fit but so do Spurs, and theirs are far more injury prone than ours.

The bottom line is spurs finished 26 points behind us last season and were considerably worse than us for the majority of the season. Unless that radically changes they’ll be finishing behind us again.

First two paragraphs are spot on imo. Re the injuries the same applies to all the teams IMO. If Sterling and Sane, or Aguero and Jesus got injured City would struggle too, De Bruyne and B/D Silva again for example. I don't think it's a coincidence that we have few injuries up top - firstly they've been scouted for robustness, secondly we're brilliant at recovery and physical monitoring, and we rest intelligently both with them on the pitch and when the season presents opportunities. You can't legislate for certain injury types obviously, but I'd be surprised if any of the front three missed any significant period of time from anything other than a bad tackle/collision.

I'd dispute Spurs playing worse than us for majority of the season. They had an awful spell that killed their title challenge, but had pretty much matched the relentless pace City and us had set prior to that. They were a very good side, and I think will improve. Kane's enforced rest and proper pre-season will likely see him fit and fired up.

If we avoid bad luck with injuries and consistently play at around our maximum level - we'll be close to City. I'm sure of that.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #443 on: July 31, 2019, 11:29:15 am »
It's not about fitness, it's about fatigue later on. If they follow a proper pre-season, then they won't be at optimal fitness or sharpness for a fair while at the start of the season, meaning others have to take up the slack. If nobody steps up, then we're relying on our defence to get us points - a defence that has looked absolutely shambolic on tour. From the looks of the last four pre-season games, our organisation is severely lacking, and without organisation we'll be flying by the seat of our trews for the first 10 games until everyone gets on the same page. When that happens, bad situations arise - teams want to take a scalp, teams with better preseason preparation are better placed to take advantage of your mistakes, and then at the 10th game, you find yourself playing catch-up and relying on results from others to help you make up the shortfall.
The thing that gives me hope there is that I honestly think Migs his an appalling effect on our defence. For me, personally, I would really like him to have been sold so that we could play someone who matches our style of play (I wish we had a sub 'keeper like Vorm, for example) but obviously that isn't how Klopp works. It also seems reasonable that his professionalism and presence in the dressing room is porobably far more important and relevant than his performance in the almost negligible amount of time he spends actually playing competitive games, but I do expect Alisson to make a massive, massive difference to our solidity.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #444 on: July 31, 2019, 11:39:36 am »
I don't think it's a coincidence that we have few injuries up top - firstly they've been scouted for robustness, secondly we're brilliant at recovery and physical monitoring, and we rest intelligently both with them on the pitch and when the season presents opportunities. You can't legislate for certain injury types obviously, but I'd be surprised if any of the front three missed any significant period of time from anything other than a bad tackle/collision.

I think the bit in bold is key - we clearly changed our playing style last season and were more patient, less gung ho, and the pressure on the strikers was reduced as our keeper, defence, and defensive shield (Fabinho) were so good. We also appeared to do less pressing, although I don't have the numbers to back that up. I agree with some that its a risk after they've played so much football for almost 2 years straight, but perhaps Klopp has seen enough of the backup players in pre-season/training to have the confidence they can cover when needed in domestic cups, against lower PL sides, or in Europe.

It's not long to wait now and it will be interesting to see our fitness and performances over the first 5-10 games, which will tell us more about whether the disjointed pre-season and national tournaments have had an impact.
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #445 on: July 31, 2019, 11:43:46 am »
It looked to me as if the players played those games to get themselves in shape more than giving it their best to win games, whereas a lot of our opponents seemed to give more to winning those games.
That's a potentially key point, too. We've scalped some great teams in pre-season. It's easy to forget that we're the scalp, now. Just look at the obscene, 80s Wimbledon style tactics we've faced in some games...friendlies, ffs! Teams are desperate to make some kind of mark by beating us, we're desperate to get ourselves in some sort of shape in very limited time before the season.

This point was made on Tomkins Times, and the person who made it also said they were looking forward to the Charity shield. Why? Because there the situation might just be reversed, in that it's a game our players actually will be arsed to win. Of course, it's a glorified friendly, but it's also a chance to get one over on City, to just lay a little marker of our own that says 'we aren't scared of you. In fact, you should be scared of us.'

I don't think preseason should be written off as some do - there does seem to be a degree of correlation between preseason performance and real season performance - but there are mitigating circumstances. I'll certainly be a lot less worried if, come that City game, we look fit, competitive and cohesive.

But I do expect the first quarter/third of the season to be a hard slog, and I'll be fucking delighted if we can end that spell level or better with the summit.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #446 on: July 31, 2019, 11:45:56 am »
First two paragraphs are spot on imo. Re the injuries the same applies to all the teams IMO. If Sterling and Sane, or Aguero and Jesus got injured City would struggle too, De Bruyne and B/D Silva again for example. I don't think it's a coincidence that we have few injuries up top - firstly they've been scouted for robustness, secondly we're brilliant at recovery and physical monitoring, and we rest intelligently both with them on the pitch and when the season presents opportunities. You can't legislate for certain injury types obviously, but I'd be surprised if any of the front three missed any significant period of time from anything other than a bad tackle/collision.

I'd dispute Spurs playing worse than us for majority of the season. They had an awful spell that killed their title challenge, but had pretty much matched the relentless pace City and us had set prior to that. They were a very good side, and I think will improve. Kane's enforced rest and proper pre-season will likely see him fit and fired up.

If we avoid bad luck with injuries and consistently play at around our maximum level - we'll be close to City. I'm sure of that.

I know that just before spurs imploded domestically a lot of us were saying that it was on the cards, I always felt that it was anyway. Admittedly I expected it to come when Kane was out not immediately after his return to fitness.

They did match us but for me you always got the feeling it was going to come off the rails at some point, a lot of shit performances with last  minute winners kept that run going for them and whilst we had our fair share of late goals the majority came in games where we’d at least matched the opposition.

Offline hesbighesred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: July 31, 2019, 11:46:52 am »
I think the bit in bold is key - we clearly changed our playing style last season and were more patient, less gung ho, and the pressure on the strikers was reduced as our keeper, defence, and defensive shield (Fabinho) were so good. We also appeared to do less pressing...
I read something about this on Tomkins Times. I think the conclusion was that, while there was maybe a touch less pressing, it was more that the areas we pressed had changed - rather than pressing right up against the opponents' backline we tended to swamp the midfield instead. So we'll often let teams have the ball around their back 4 and then swarm as soon as it goes into the midfield area. It keeps us more compact and less vulnerable to the counter-counter and direct play.

Offline nayia2002

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • http://www.victoriacreperie.co.uk/
« Reply #448 on: July 31, 2019, 11:50:39 am »
Would love to win the FA cup this season!

Hopefully another champs league final and win in instanbull again!

But the holy grail is the premiership!

Unfortunately can't see us repeating last season's point total due to various reasons (no quality signings by us, we got lucky a few times in the league, arsenal and spurs improving their first team, Man city being favourites again after back to back wins 100+98 points)
who are you to judge the life i live?
i know im not perfect-and i dont live to be,
but before you start pointing fingers make
sure your hands are clean!.

Online Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #449 on: July 31, 2019, 11:52:09 am »
Not sure I can bring any bold predictions! The combination of players missing, a weak pre-season and no major ins means that predicting what will happen is pretty difficult.

If our players largely stay fit and deal with tiredness, I think we win the league. We are good enough to do it, it will all depend on how we cope with a couple of injuries and a drop in form of a couple of players. City will stay favourites of course, its up to us to prove we can stop them.

I think we will get to another CL final, and it will take a special team to stop us winning again now we have the confidence of winning in any given situation.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline dirks digglers

• Kopite
« Reply #450 on: July 31, 2019, 12:25:57 pm »
The good news is we won number 6 and that takes a lot of the building pressure to win something off this group, because things look like being even tougher this season. The upside is that we have a superb and settled group who fully believe; the downside is that they haven't had any kind of joined up pre-season and Spurs have strengthened. City certainly haven't weakened either. Would have liked to see Sane go, just to break things up a little for them.

Repeating the incredible efforts of last season would be truly remarkable given all these details. The fear is definitely for the early season. We tend to start sluggishly (physically) under Klopp and try to grind out some results before we really power up as the season develops, but if we want to go toe to toe with City again we can't afford any early point drops. I think Spurs will be closer too.

We really could do with Naby and AOC getting back to something like optimal form and fitness and fingers crossed for no key injuries. Hope I'm wrong but right now my feeling is we'll have a slight dip this season.

2nd in the league.

Finally win a domestic cup again.
If you can’t understand it without an explanation, you can’t understand it with an explanation.

Offline KlurgenJopp

• Main Stander
« Reply #451 on: July 31, 2019, 12:44:01 pm »
One of our front three gets injured and is out for the season. Harvey Elliot leads the line, winning us the Premier League and securing a lucrative sponsorship deal with Head & Shoulders.
TWICE! TWIIICE!! TWIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICE!!!!!

Offline Sir Capon of Debaser

• #SAUSAGES Pheasant plucking, midget chucking, jazz sax blowing, wannabe mod who'd like to be Danny Dyer's Bitch but too scared to ask in public for a name change, the pussy.....would gladly do one for mouth. Adores cats! RAWK Factor Winner 1897.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Golly! An Alien Judge!
    • https://murderouskaburdacus.bandcamp.com/
« Reply #452 on: July 31, 2019, 12:49:44 pm »
We basically had a perfect season last season and lost the league by a point. For me,losing the league by such a small margin and running them so close with that ridiculous points total is the same as winning the league in the sense that this season isn't going to be as close to perfect as last year. I just hope if our season "Drops off" City's does too,even more so.

It's a big ask hoping for anything close to last year but I do think we'll be there or thereabouts as I don't think any teams below us can make the jump.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #453 on: July 31, 2019, 02:38:26 pm »
The thing that gives me hope there is that I honestly think Migs his an appalling effect on our defence. For me, personally, I would really like him to have been sold so that we could play someone who matches our style of play (I wish we had a sub 'keeper like Vorm, for example) but obviously that isn't how Klopp works. It also seems reasonable that his professionalism and presence in the dressing room is porobably far more important and relevant than his performance in the almost negligible amount of time he spends actually playing competitive games, but I do expect Alisson to make a massive, massive difference to our solidity.

Spot on.
There are a few reasons behind the lacklustre pre-season performances to date & Alisson's absence is huge.
We will defo be close in the league again this term, I still ain't given up hope that another wide forward will be brought in so I'll defer my bold predictions til next week.
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #454 on: July 31, 2019, 02:41:41 pm »
I agree with posters expressing concern. It is very disappointing that history of falling off a cliff, having come very close to the holy grail the previous season, is very likely to repeat itself.

My prediction is that we will be locked in a very tight 3-team race with Mancs and the bitters to secure EL qualifiers, although it is hard to see how we come out on top of that challenge, seeing as the other two teams have strengthened a lot already, and are still not done with reinforcing their squads. Just look at the Mancs, having broken the world-record fee for a full-back, they are strong favorites to sign the most expensive defender in world football, as well as swapping that lump Lukaku for a world class talent like Dybala.

As for the cups, I hope we have favorable draws, although I believe that FSG will demand European football in 20/21, thus we will scrap the cups and fully concentrate on securing EL football.

Im fuming that we never learn to try and take the next step by capitalizing on a surprisingly very good campaign last season.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #455 on: July 31, 2019, 02:43:56 pm »
I agree with posters expressing concern. It is very disappointing that history of falling off a cliff, having come very close to the holy grail the previous season, is very likely to repeat itself.

My prediction is that we will be locked in a very tight 3-team race with Mancs and the bitters to secure EL qualifiers, although it is hard to see how we come out on top of that challenge, seeing as the other two teams have strengthened a lot already, and are still not done with reinforcing their squads. Just look at the Mancs, having broken the world-record fee for a full-back, they are strong favorites to sign the most expensive defender in world football, as well as swapping that lump Lukaku for a world class talent like Dybala.

As for the cups, I hope we have favorable draws, although I believe that FSG will demand European football in 20/21, thus we will scrap the cups and fully concentrate on securing EL football.

Im fuming that we never learn to try and take the next step by capitalizing on a surprisingly very good campaign last season.

It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: July 31, 2019, 02:54:05 pm »
If it is serious, I reckon thats where the thread needs locking.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #457 on: July 31, 2019, 03:00:13 pm »
 :lmao

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #458 on: July 31, 2019, 03:00:17 pm »
Kudos Jetmir, a couple of fairly big ones netted there. Enjoy with a little butter and garlic.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #459 on: July 31, 2019, 03:09:07 pm »
Kudos Jetmir, a couple of fairly big ones netted there. Enjoy with a little butter and garlic.

It's in the too good/bad/funny to be true category  ;D

Offline Jetmir M.

• Kopite
« Reply #460 on: July 31, 2019, 03:14:30 pm »

;D ;D

I was waiting to see if more would fall for it mate, but I'm not starving tonight, am I?   ;D

Seriously though, I'd wish people are talking 3rd/4th place finish out of frustration to not signing a new attacker, but sadly I think they are truly stuffing their pants.

Offline chromed

• Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 97
« Reply #461 on: July 31, 2019, 03:37:47 pm »
I don't think we will be as good in the league this season, but I don't think City will either. There will be a lot more points dropped this season by both teams.

The League: Will go close between us and City again, the best of the rest below us won't have improved, but the league will look a lot closer than last season, because we will drop more points as opposed to last season. I think we will at least finish 2nd and the league will largely be decided during poor results in the run in for ourselves or City.

The Champions League: We will blow our group away this year, ease through the knockout rounds, struggle in the Semi's but overcome a deficit to make the final. Probably win the thing again in Istanbul.

FA Cup: Semis

League Cup: Think we will play the kids and reserves in the first few rounds. If they make it through we'll take it more seriously and make the final.

Charity Shield: Win on pens

Super Cup: Win

Club World Cup: Win
YNWA - JFT97

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #462 on: July 31, 2019, 04:01:02 pm »
;D ;D

I was waiting to see if more would fall for it mate, but I'm not starving tonight, am I?   ;D

Seriously though, I'd wish people are talking 3rd/4th place finish out of frustration to not signing a new attacker, but sadly I think they are truly stuffing their pants.

I think the "fuming" gave it away :P
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #463 on: July 31, 2019, 04:26:01 pm »
League: 3rd
CL: semi-final
FA Cup: knocked early on
League Cup: knocked early on
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #464 on: July 31, 2019, 05:13:06 pm »

lovely stuff

Online na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: July 31, 2019, 05:14:23 pm »
They also didn't draw very many. Turn some of those losses into draws, and we drop 20 points from last season, and suddenly it's a 3 way chase for positions 2-4.

dropping 20 points from last season? Possible I guess but I don't think that's likely to happen

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: July 31, 2019, 05:22:18 pm »
Think we finish 2nd or 3rd on about 80 points. Just don't see us coming close to last season's total and it has little to do with transfer activity (or lack thereof) this summer.

Think we make another CL Semi under Klopp.

Think we make a domestic cup final this season.

Think it'll be a three way race for LFC player of the season between Virg, Fabinho and Mo.

Speaking of Fab, I think he's going to have an absolutely monster season.

We make a big signing in January on a pre-contract agreement for summer 2020.

Not sure if any of those are "bold" but oh well.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #467 on: July 31, 2019, 05:25:01 pm »
dropping 20 points from last season? Possible I guess but I don't think that's likely to happen

I never said it was.

However, we have precedent for it.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #468 on: July 31, 2019, 05:26:44 pm »
2nd
Number 7
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #469 on: July 31, 2019, 05:28:15 pm »
2nd
Number 7

Agree with this

2nd in the Community Shield
Number 7 in the league
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: July 31, 2019, 05:29:01 pm »
I never said it was.

However, we have precedent for it.

As in the season after 2013? I don't think you can compare our situation then to now, we've just come off the back of winning another European Cup!

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #471 on: July 31, 2019, 05:35:27 pm »
As in the season after 2013? I don't think you can compare our situation then to now, we've just come off the back of winning another European Cup!

And the season after 2002, and the one after 2006 when we had 82 points, and the one after 09. We have form for hitting a high points total, and having a regression the season after, and all for different reasons.

Also, you get nothing for last year's trophies.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #472 on: July 31, 2019, 05:36:45 pm »
Seeing PoP this pessimistic hurts my soul - but I suppose it's good for the soul as well!

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: July 31, 2019, 05:39:06 pm »
And the season after 2002, and the one after 2006 when we had 82 points, and the one after 09. We have form for hitting a high points total, and having a regression the season after, and all for different reasons.

Also, you get nothing for last year's trophies.

2002 we had an impeccable start to the season followed by a complete disaster that hasn't repeated since. We also added absolute duds in that transfer window. That was the year that Houllier also had heart surgery was it not?

2009, we were in turmoil internally between Rafa and the owners, we also lost two key players [Arbeloa and Alonso] and did nothing to support Torres and Gerrard.

I understand your point but the situation is far different than any of those.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: July 31, 2019, 05:39:30 pm »
Seeing PoP this pessimistic hurts my soul - but I suppose it's good for the soul as well!

I'm not pessimistic. I just said that based on how we've been defending in the pre-season games, a slow start might be on the cards, and a slow start might shite up our chances to challenge for the league. You don't want to spend a season chasing a points gap and relying on results in your favour.

If we look 100 times better in half an hour and in the Shield, then I will go back to my original prediction of League and Cup double :)

But there is absolutely no harm expressing concern based on what we see in front of us.

Online na fir dearg

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #475 on: July 31, 2019, 05:42:09 pm »
2002 we had an impeccable start to the season followed by a complete disaster that hasn't repeated since. We also added absolute duds in that transfer window. That was the year that Houllier also had heart surgery was it not?

2009, we were in turmoil internally between Rafa and the owners, we also lost two key players [Arbeloa and Alonso] and did nothing to support Torres and Gerrard.

I understand your point but the situation is far different than any of those.

agreed - we are in a much better place these days

Also - how in the hell can you possibly judge a defence featuring Simon Mignolet in goal???

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #476 on: July 31, 2019, 05:43:31 pm »

Also - how in the hell can you possibly judge a defence featuring Simon Mignolet in goal???

20 years experience training defenders and an aggregate of 60 years of preseason training?  ;D

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: July 31, 2019, 05:43:43 pm »

While Mignolet is absolutely a liability, him being in goal doesn't excuse the players making amateur mistakes in other parts of the field [losing the ball in midfield and getting caught out]

He's got a valid point at the same time, they've been under intense sessions and the belief is that this week was designed to be the most imperative week for preparing

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #478 on: July 31, 2019, 05:44:27 pm »
I'm not pessimistic. I just said that based on how we've been defending in the pre-season games, a slow start might be on the cards, and a slow start might shite up our chances to challenge for the league. You don't want to spend a season chasing a points gap and relying on results in your favour.

If we look 100 times better in half an hour and in the Shield, then I will go back to my original prediction of League and Cup double :)

But there is absolutely no harm expressing concern based on what we see in front of us.

I kid a little with that. Don't disagree with how you're saying or putting it, cos you're sound with it per usual really. Like the perspective that our defense looked in disarray and the hope that it's cos physical training took precedence over organisational.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #479 on: July 31, 2019, 05:50:40 pm »
2nd
Number 7
That's what Number 7 said too.  ;D
IMO we will not finish below 2nd. The reason is that I don’t believe our competitors transfer dealings have significantly pushed them above us in terms of quality. City have signed Rodri, Spurs have signed Ndomele, United have signed Wan Bissaka, Arsenal Pepe and Chelsea Pulisic. Just one major signing for each club, not more than that (so far). All of those are decent players but looking at who we brought in last summer to set ourselves up for a great season I don’t believe Spurs, United, Arsenal or Chelsea have overtaken us that would constitute in us finishing 3rd or 4th.

We’re also fortunate we have a good run of 5 games to start. We should really be beating Norwich, Southampton, Arsenal(h), Burnley and Newcastle. A great start was a good foundation for success last season and that’s what needs to happen this season.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."