Author Topic: Heading football causes brain damage  (Read 2181 times)

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
Heading football causes brain damage
« on: February 15, 2017, 11:50:10 am »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38971750

Repeated headers during a footballer's professional career may be linked to long-term brain damage, according to tentative evidence from UK scientists.
The research follows anecdotal reports that players who head balls may be more prone to developing dementia later in life.
The Football Association says it will look at this area more closely.
Experts said recreational players were unlikely to incur problems.
Dawn Astle, the daughter of former England and West Brom striker Jeff Astle, who died aged 59 suffering from early onset dementia, said it was "obvious that it [his dementia] was linked to his footballing career".
The inquest into his death in 2002 found that repeatedly heading heavy leather footballs had contributed to trauma to his brain.
Ms Astle told BBC Radio 5 Live: "At the coroner's inquest, football tried to sweep his death under a carpet. They didn't want to know, they didn't want to think that football could be a killer and sadly, it is. It can be."
She said her father was 55 and physically very fit when he went to the doctor, who diagnosed him with the early onset of dementia.
By the end he "didn't even know he'd ever been a footballer", she said, before adding: "Everything football ever gave him, football had taken away."

Researchers from University College London and Cardiff University examined the brains of five people who had been professional footballers and one who had been a committed amateur throughout his life.
They had played football for an average of 26 years and all six went on to develop dementia in their 60s.
While performing post mortem examinations, scientists found signs of brain injury - called chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) in four cases.
CTE has been linked to memory loss, depression and dementia and has been seen in other contact sports.
Prof Huw Morris, of University College London, told the BBC: "When we examined their brains at autopsy we saw the sorts of changes that are seen in ex-boxers, the changes that are often associated with repeated brain injury which are known as CTE.
"So really for the first time in a series of players we have shown that there is evidence that head injury has occurred earlier in their life which presumably has some impact on them developing dementia."
In the study, published in the journal Acta Neuropathologica, the report's authors make it clear they were not analysing the risks of heading by children.

But the science is far from clear-cut.
Each brain also showed signs of Alzheimer's disease and some had blood vessel changes that can also lead to dementia.
Researchers speculate that it was a combination of factors that contributed to dementia in these players.
But they acknowledge their research cannot definitively prove a link between football and dementia and are calling for larger studies to look at footballers' long-term brain health.

Dr David Reynolds, at the charity Alzheimer's Research UK, said: "The causes of dementia are complex and it is likely that the condition is caused by a combination of age, lifestyle and genetic factors.
"Further research is needed to shed light on how lifestyle factors such as playing sport may alter dementia risk, and how this sits in the context of the well-established benefits of being physically active."
He added that for people who are recreational footballers, football injuries are unlikely to cause long-term problems and he pointed to expert advice that the benefit of exercise is likely to outweigh the risks.
A number of previous cases involving boxers and American footballers have suggested that repetitive blows can cause long-lasting and progressive brain damage.
But until now there have only been a few case reports of individual footballers with CTE in the UK and the extent of the issue is still unknown.
The Football Association welcomed the study and said research was particularly needed to find out whether degenerative brain disease is more common in ex-footballers.
Dr Charlotte Cowie, of the FA, added: "The FA is determined to support this research and is also committed to ensuring that any research process is independent, robust and thorough, so that when the results emerge, everyone in the game can be confident in its findings."

Online tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
Re: Heading football causes brain damage
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 12:05:30 pm »
I wonder will all this research eventually lead to something like scrum caps for all players. I don't think it's necessary at all but it probably will.
Great chiefs and great loves in obliterated light

Offline ggcc14

• C onfuses objective and objectionable. C-ock
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 12:08:44 pm »
Stupid thing is this has been common knowledge in America for years as concussion is a very big deal over there.

But now a study has been conducted in England we are supposed to think this is new information.. I don't know what to make of it from a coaching perspective and as far as the future of football goes.
I´ll say something that might surprise you. Real life is different to computer games.
I think Nadal is brilliant. One of the top 10 ever.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 12:15:26 pm »
Stupid thing is this has been common knowledge in America for years as concussion is a very big deal over there.

But now a study has been conducted in England we are supposed to think this is new information.. I don't know what to make of it from a coaching perspective and as far as the future of football goes.

you are right, especially in youth level, i think heading is not allowed when playing football.

If they ban heading, i am wondering if it will be awkward for us watching, especially in the beginning.

Offline DdeGea

• Superceded by OleGea
  • Main Stander
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 12:41:01 pm »
Really difficult one this. Obviously some things are more important in life than football, and dementia down the line as a result of heading is definitely one of them. But without heading the game would be completely different. Like someone suggested earlier wearing some form of headgear could be trialled maybe? I guess its the nature of contact sports though, there's always going to be that risk present. Boxing and rugby for example will be far worse than football.

Online tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 12:42:51 pm »
you are right, especially in youth level, i think heading is not allowed when playing football.

If they ban heading, i am wondering if it will be awkward for us watching, especially in the beginning.
What the hell would Big Sam do?

Offline mazlo123

• Legacy Fan
  • My kind of monster.
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2017, 12:46:47 pm »
The thing is that headgear (like in the NFL or Boxing) doesn't do much to stop the effects.

Your brain in still rattling around in your skull regardless of what's surrounding it, I'm sure the head gear that Cech uses for example are only effective at protecting the skull not the brain.

They should go and feast on another dead corpse this one is alive and kicking and it will bite you fucking head off.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 01:35:19 pm »
may be linked to long-term brain damage, according to tentative evidence

Bit of a sensational thread title.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 01:43:27 pm »
The effect is real, but there is a question as to how significant the weight of the ball is. Wet leather balls are a thing of the past now, but they could feel like heading a medicine ball. Modern lighterweight footballs will have a less pronounced effect. It is a concern, and the research should be followed up.

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2017, 01:43:41 pm »

Allowed at the academies u-10/11 level still.  My lad loves heading the ball out of defence straight to a player.  It tends to be roundly applauded by all watching if someone isn't afraid to head the ball - some kids won't or will only as a last resort.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2017, 02:05:20 pm »
If you've followed concussion news over the past few years this wouldn't surprise you... looks like any small head trauma is bad news down the road  :-[

Offline AaronSingh25

• Never Going to Grow Old. Dis-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2017, 03:34:21 pm »
Do you all think somewhere down the line heading will be outlawed?

It's not just the heading, it's the reckless heading challenges that are going on causing some serious damage.

Believe the short term action will be too red card any reckless head challenge - including not being in control of the body when going for a header, leeping too far in a uncontrolled manner,  elbows, etc. More controversially might be to ban diving for a header.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2017, 03:35:16 pm »
How do you deal with corners then? I mean does everyone wait patiently for the ball to land at someones feet before they can play it?

Offline PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2017, 03:37:38 pm »
I think the evidence probably holds true for when it was made, ie: decades ago

New footballs are much lighter and softer, not crazy hard leatherballs, I have headed an old footie when wet once and honestly it kills, anyone here will attest to that from school days with shite wet balls.

Modern footballers play with much different stuff nowadays

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 03:55:41 pm »
The study proved that footballers get more dimentia than normal public.
I don't think it's the footballs, but more the aerial challenges and blows to the head that you see every game, even more so in the past.

Online tonysleft

• Legacy Fan
  • A manc
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 03:57:24 pm »
The study proved that footballers get more dimentia than normal public.
I don't think it's the footballs, but more the aerial challenges and blows to the head that you see every game, even more so in the past.
Yeah, I'd imagine one bad clash of heads at a corner does way more damage than a season's worth of heading the ball does. Way more severe.

Offline DdeGea

• Superceded by OleGea
  • Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 04:09:36 pm »
Yeah, I'd imagine one bad clash of heads at a corner does way more damage than a season's worth of heading the ball does. Way more severe.
But heading indirectly causes those clash of heads. If you take out heading, you take out the head collisions for the most part.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 04:47:32 pm »

It's the repetition that does the damage though. One header might not do much. 10+ a game x50 games a season though?

FWIW I don't think the study is anywhere near conclusive and I also think the weight of the ball changing drastically over the last 40 years has been overlooked too.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Online Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 06:03:32 pm »
It's the repetition that does the damage though. One header might not do much. 10+ a game x50 games a season though?

FWIW I don't think the study is anywhere near conclusive and I also think the weight of the ball changing drastically over the last 40 years has been overlooked too.

Agreed on the repetition being more damaging than one big hit - almost all of the boxing fatalities/serious injuries you see are from prolonged fights with lots of smaller punches landed, rather than the round 1 one-punch KO. It's seen as the main reason why MMA has seen very few fatalities compared to boxing.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 06:08:12 pm »
If my sons under 9 team head the ball more than once a match it's something of a triumph....

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 06:11:14 pm »
Heading in the US for players 11 and under has been banned.  Players 12 years of age can head the ball but can only practice heading a limited amount of time. 

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2024, 02:53:59 pm »
'FA ‘fully aware’ of brain injury risks in 1980s but failed to act, high court told':-

Former footballers and families suing FA, FAW, EFL and Ifab
Barristers claim the four governing bodies were ‘negligent’

www.theguardian.com/football/2024/mar/22/fa-fully-aware-of-brain-injury-risks-in-1980s-but-failed-to-act-high-court-told

^ Nobby Stiles was found to have had a progressive brain condition caused by repeated blows to the head. His family is among those taking legal action.

a snippet...

'The Football Association “was always fully aware” of the risk of concussion and brain injury to players as early as the 1980s but failed to take steps to improve safety, the high court has been told.

Lawyers representing several former footballers and their families have said in court documents that minutes from an FA committee meeting in 1983 “indicate” that it knew of the risk posed by head injuries “but failed to take action to reduce the risk of players to the lowest reasonable level”.

Ten former professional footballers – and the families of a further seven who have died – are suing the FA, the Football Association of Wales (FAW), the English Football League (EFL) and the sport’s law-making body, the International Football Association Board (Ifab).

They include the family of the former England midfielder and 1966 World Cup winner Nobby Stiles, who died in 2020 after living from dementia and was found to have chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a progressive brain condition caused by repeated blows to the head.

In the documents, seen by the PA news agency, barristers have claimed that the four governing bodies were “negligent and in breach of their duty of care” owed to the former players, who “suffered permanent long-term neurological injuries” as a result.'

« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 02:58:17 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2024, 05:48:00 pm »
So no tackling and no heading. Where's the off button

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2024, 06:09:15 pm »
I can understand it from like to 50-80's, it was like heading a sack of bricks, but nowadays?

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2024, 06:14:22 pm »
My head is still fucked after heading that mitre multiplex ball as a teenager. Weighed a tonne when pumped up to the last.  Could never understand how they had us playing with that at 14-16

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2024, 07:16:40 pm »
Can't they create lighter balls that still perform in the same way?

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2024, 11:11:37 pm »
There's thousand and thousands of lower league and amateur players who might also have suffered while the FA held this knowledge. Not just the top flight.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2024, 09:37:55 am »
My great Grandfather was a professional footballer who had Alzheimer’s when he passed. It was fairly definitive this came from heading the ball. He’d been a centre half in the 50s and 60s when the heavy leather casing ball would have had some real weight.

Of course the balls aren’t the same now, nowhere near, but it still needs to be studied and taken seriously to think about how to mitigate long term health issues.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline darragh85

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2024, 01:49:57 pm »
Great to see your sympathy for ex footballers suffering from Alzheimer's as a result of playing and entertaining the likes of you. Twat.

My post was insensitive.  Apologies

Offline Coyler

• Boys Pen
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2024, 07:49:22 pm »
Good man.

Often thought the closest we can get to understanding what those older players had to suffer was when the only thing available for a game on the green was someone's GAA ball. Head one of those things in the rain and you're transported right back to Dalymount in the 1940s. Horrific.

If it is true that the medical world was aware of the full extent of what were -- to the layman -- fairly obvious effects, there must be a very severe reckoning.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2024, 08:00:14 pm »
Can't they create lighter balls that still perform in the same way?
That's pretty much what has happened over the past 30 (?) years - albeit not with the intention of reducing brain damage.  My son's youth team recently had some really lightweight balls that were designed for heading but still behaved very similarly to real footballs.  They wouldn't pass the standard for matches but certainly fine for training.

Beyond heading the ball though there's also the issue of other head impacts.  Players getting concussions are hardly ever caused by the ball but rather by a collision with another player.  I don't see how you can really stop those happening but football is better placed to find a path through it than other sports (rugby, NFL, boxing etc.).

I understand that the recorded rates of dementia are considerably higher in ex-footballers than in the general population but is there any scientific way of identifying for an ex-footballer if the cause was playing football or something else?

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2024, 01:52:01 am »
Thanks man. I'll delete my post too.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2024, 01:34:56 pm »
The balls these days are like beach balls in comparison to what Jeff Astle and Nobby Stiles were heading particularly when wet
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp