Author Topic: Liverpool's Midfield  (Read 1806800 times)

Offline scumbagcollege

• pRick
  • Kopite
  • Kick Out The Jams, Motherfuckers!
Re: Liverpool's Best Midfield Combination?
« Reply #240 on: October 22, 2014, 11:24:39 pm »
Liverpool's best midfield combination will (and ought to) depend on what kind of approach to the game we take.

Without a doubt, Gerrard/Allen-Henderson is an excellent midfield combination. But was it the correct one for this match vs Real Madrid?
No. And to not have the only DM at the club even on the bench is ludicrous, imo.
"Reuniting Status Quo would be like trying to get your own dick up your arse - impossible."
St Francis De Rossi

Offline Anonymous5

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: October 22, 2014, 11:24:57 pm »
Emre Can seems more suited to the pace of CL at the moment

Offline BostonScouse

• grumbles more after a win - clueless muppet or diamond fella?
  • Kopite
« Reply #242 on: October 22, 2014, 11:28:04 pm »
Henderson - Can - Allen/Coutinho/Lallana

If you say gerrard you lose

Offline scumbagcollege

• pRick
  • Kopite
« Reply #243 on: October 22, 2014, 11:28:19 pm »
Than who?
"Reuniting Status Quo would be like trying to get your own dick up your arse - impossible."
St Francis De Rossi

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #244 on: October 22, 2014, 11:29:09 pm »
No. And to not have the only DM at the club even on the bench is ludicrous, imo.

huh? Can is a DM

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: October 22, 2014, 11:29:21 pm »

Why is Emre Can not a DM? It's his favoured position.

We signed a DM in the summer. His name was Emre Can. Repeat after me.

Not just at you, it's just irritating to hear people going on about how we didn't sign one, when we did.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #246 on: October 22, 2014, 11:29:23 pm »
He would have struggled in the first half when Madrid played at full throttle and pressed us so intensively and intelligently. In second half they allowed us to play with Classico in mind.

Offline Anonymous5

• Kopite
« Reply #247 on: October 22, 2014, 11:30:17 pm »
Than who?
Just saying in regards to Emre himself. At times, in the Prem, the game seems to be too fast for him. But today when he came on, the pace of the CL seems comfortable for him

Offline Anonymous5

• Kopite
« Reply #248 on: October 22, 2014, 11:30:55 pm »
He would have struggled in the first half when Madrid played at full throttle and pressed us so intensively and intelligently. In second half they allowed us to play with Classico in mind.
Could have a point there mate

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #249 on: October 22, 2014, 11:33:52 pm »

If you are playing him as a box to box MF or in an advanced role as Brendan is want to do, but as a DM where he's a naturally suited and a physical presence there's no earthly way he could have been worse than gerrard in that match

Offline BostonScouse

• Kopite
« Reply #250 on: October 22, 2014, 11:35:28 pm »
Why is Emre Can not a DM? It's his favoured position.

We signed a DM in the summer. His name was Emre Can. Repeat after me.

Not just at you, it's just irritating to hear people going on about how we didn't sign one, when we did.

because starting him over gerrard is a nonstarter for whatever reason, so he isn't played there ergo not a DM! (just going by the logic here)

Offline Paragon

• of Virtue. David N'Gog's biggest fan, why did we sell?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: October 22, 2014, 11:36:38 pm »
Hope we keep Lucas in cotton wool till the return against Madrid . We're going to need him.

Hardly. For me there's no way Lucas (with the injuries he's suffered) can keep up with the pace of play against the best team in Europe. Middlesbrough in the Capital One Cup is one thing, Real Madrid in the Champions League is another. I'd much rather Gerrard was playing deep. His passing range alone is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone competing for his defensive midfield spot. Take for example Stevie's superb cross-field pass in the build up to Henderson's goal against West Brom two weeks ago; I don't ever recall Lucas producing a pass as good as that. Gerrard's simply on another level.
Would be even more fun if you could stand up to a hook to the jaw for being a snidey bastard. But then that's reality! No one needs to 'swim or drown' in a coward's paradise.

Offline scumbagcollege

• pRick
  • Kopite
« Reply #252 on: October 22, 2014, 11:37:06 pm »
huh? Can is a DM
He has played 5 games as DM in his career (5 1/2 if you count the QPR game).
He is more a LB than a DM! :o
St Francis De Rossi

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: October 22, 2014, 11:42:44 pm »
He has played 5 games as DM in his career (5 1/2 if you count the QPR game).
He is more a LB than a DM! :o

Brendan Rodgers: "He can play in any one of those three midfield positions. He prefers to play in that holding and controlling role but he has also got the power and pace to run forward."

Offline scumbagcollege

• pRick
  • Kopite
« Reply #254 on: October 22, 2014, 11:45:08 pm »
Hardly. For me there's no way Lucas (with the injuries he's suffered) can keep up with the pace of play against the best team in Europe. Middlesbrough in the Capital One Cup is one thing, Real Madrid in the Champions League is another.
Strange. I seem to recall that the last 8 times Lucas played DM for us he was fine. Including games against Man City and Chelsea away.
St Francis De Rossi

Offline scumbagcollege

• pRick
  • Kopite
« Reply #255 on: October 22, 2014, 11:48:52 pm »
Brendan Rodgers: "He can play in any one of those three midfield positions. He prefers to play in that holding and controlling role but he has also got the power and pace to run forward."
He can prefer to play in goal for all I care! Where has he played in his career? :D
St Francis De Rossi

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: October 22, 2014, 11:50:09 pm »
He can prefer to play in goal for all I care! Where has he played in his career? :D

Fact of the matter is, we didn't sign him as a LB, we signed him as a player who could play as a DM and CM. Do you really disagree with that?

Offline arab88

• BED WETTER
  • Kopite
  • Proud to be a RED!
« Reply #257 on: October 22, 2014, 11:50:53 pm »
I would have opted for Lucas-Henderson-Stevie if Lucas is in a good physical form.

otherwise I would go with Can.

Offline Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: October 22, 2014, 11:51:02 pm »
Strange. I seem to recall that the last 8 times Lucas played DM for us he was fine. Including games against Man City and Chelsea away.

Oh the halcyon days of December 2013 - two games, two losses.

I like Lucas but let's get real here. I'm fine with questioning Gerrard but I'm not having this "just play Lucas" thing - we need better.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: October 22, 2014, 11:55:17 pm »
because starting him over gerrard is a nonstarter for whatever reason, so he isn't played there ergo not a DM! (just going by the logic here)

Shut up and go to bed. Your anti Gerrard posts are getting very tedious and a bit boring now.

And before you say it, no he isn't immune from criticism.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline scumbagcollege

• pRick
  • Kopite
« Reply #260 on: October 23, 2014, 12:12:04 am »
Oh the halcyon days of December 2013 - two games, two losses.

I like Lucas but let's get real here. I'm fine with questioning Gerrard but I'm not having this "just play Lucas" thing - we need better.
Last 8 games mate, performances. And I didnt say play him (although I would).But not even on the bench? Weird.

Fact of the matter is, we didn't sign him as a LB, we signed him as a player who could play as a DM and CM. Do you really disagree with that?
As a CM, back up to Hendo, no I agree. But as a DM, to step in for Gerrard or Lucas? Fuck me, I hope not! He is nowhere good enough.
St Francis De Rossi

Offline ReeNah

• Kopite
  • I bleed RED!
« Reply #261 on: October 23, 2014, 12:44:01 am »
I thought Emre was very positive when he came on. That one run right up the middle is something I wanna see more from him. He can cut through the middle two and is big enough to hold off challenges. Instanstly puts the defensive line at sixes and sevens. He used to do it at Bayer more often.

Markovic seems scared? Sort of like Sterling a while ago. Clearly has the ability to beat a man or use his pace to get behind defenders but just sits in some space for a simple ball. Wasn't positive enough for me. If were holding onto a lead his style would have been great. However, chasing a goal I'd want him to run in behind at every chance and try to take on Nancho even if he lost it everytime.

Still think Emre and Markovic will be superstars though. How good is Sterling though?
"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"
Benjamin Franklin

Offline keswick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: October 23, 2014, 12:53:11 am »
Currently - Can, Allen, Henderson.

Offline scumbagcollege

• pRick
  • Kopite
« Reply #263 on: October 23, 2014, 01:00:19 am »
Currently - Can, Allen, Henderson.
Not getting all this Can love. Can (ha!) anyone tell me any game he has stood out ever in his short career?
St Francis De Rossi

Offline stoopid yank

• Legacy Fan
  • Bird is the Word
« Reply #264 on: October 23, 2014, 01:30:59 am »
Best midfield 3 combination based on actual performance is Lucas Allen Henderson from last season away at Tottenham. The game where Gerrard was half time commentator and said along the lines of "its going to be hard for me to get back in the team"  I have not seen a better performance from a central 3 since that game. If anyone disagrees, please mention the game that surpasses that one.

Moving forward - my two cents - is that our best midfield combination is any that does not have our soon to be 35 year old captain playing 90+ minutes 2x in a week, despite whatever controversy that may bring.
I don't always listen to Black Sabbath, but when I do, so do the neighbors.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #265 on: October 23, 2014, 01:33:01 am »
Sorry just didn't see the point of Joe Allen tonight.

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #266 on: October 23, 2014, 02:13:13 am »
Hardly. For me there's no way Lucas (with the injuries he's suffered) can keep up with the pace of play against the best team in Europe. Middlesbrough in the Capital One Cup is one thing, Real Madrid in the Champions League is another. I'd much rather Gerrard was playing deep. His passing range alone is leaps and bounds ahead of anyone competing for his defensive midfield spot. Take for example Stevie's superb cross-field pass in the build up to Henderson's goal against West Brom two weeks ago; I don't ever recall Lucas producing a pass as good as that. Gerrard's simply on another level.

The last 8 times he's played as a DM he's done a good job. It has now been said quite a few times, it shouldn't be that hard to understand. No one is saying he's better than Gerrard or anything of the sort. We are allowed to make a case for this or that player in this or that position as part of the best midfield combination, given what type of game we wish to play.

Finally, I think it would be better if people did not assume that because they do not recall x, y, z it did not happen. I did that once and a fellow poster set me straight with evidence, including videos (it had to do with Ryan Babel). It oughtn't take that for us to learn not to be so absolute.

The question is not whether anyone other than Gerrard is as good as Gerrard is at the awesome cross-field passes "on a dime". Probably no one is, especially in our squad. The question is, as always, whether it is always ideal to play thus.

Forget Lucas. Forget all current players. Sangria, back in the day, put forth an airtight argument in favor of NOT relying on a player like Alonso, whose long-distance passing rivals Gerrard's.

The whole idea of management is to not have to rely on the 99th percentile abilities of a single player, but to field a coherent whole that maximizes TEAM performance.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: October 23, 2014, 02:21:18 am »
Emre Can has been at his best for us when deployed either as part of the '2' in the '2-1' or as part of the '2' in the '1-2'. I don't see how his brief stints at so-called DM/controller/whatevertherighttermis indicate that he's really the 'best' player for that spot/role in our squad. Qua controller/deep-lying play-maker, Gerrard rested and fit is our best option there. Qua DM/controller I still think Lucas is our best player.

2 holding midfielder combination central midfield setups ought not, in my opinion, include Gerrard. The 442, traditional or uneven (as we played at times previously, with Henderson as a 1.5 CM/LM), does not have 2 holding midfielders. For that, even the Gerrard Lucas combo will work.

If Coutinho improves his concentration, perhaps he can be part of a 1-2 midfield as one of the '2'. Otherwise, please no; it doesn't come naturally to him to play defense, he just doesn't have it (he tunes out, he gives up on plays).
Ludi Circenses!

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #268 on: October 23, 2014, 02:40:30 am »
If Coutinho improves his concentration, perhaps he can be part of a 1-2 midfield as one of the '2'. Otherwise, please no; it doesn't come naturally to him to play defense, he just doesn't have it (he tunes out, he gives up on plays).

'Perhaps he can be...'

He already has shown he can play that role very well last season. He's never going to start every game there but he's already shown he can play it, indeed, his best performances for the club have been when he's occupied that role.

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #269 on: October 23, 2014, 02:53:08 am »
       Gerrard
Henderson-Allen
Coutinho or Lallana

Thats my choice. Can is a quality player but until Gerrard steps away from the pitch he won't get in the starting DM spot.
Seen us win everything

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #270 on: October 23, 2014, 03:05:59 am »
One midfield trio I'd like to see us try is Lucas - Henderson  - Coutinho. I'm not against Stevie, I just think Coutinho operating from midfield is an asset and that Lucas would allow Henderson to get forward a bit more.

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Obviously

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: October 23, 2014, 03:09:01 am »
Gerrard, Henderson, Allen
Lucas, Henderson, Allen
Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho
Lucas, Henderson, Coutinho

All of those are unbalanced in some way, and we need to address that by buying players with different qualities. I don't think its the players themselves that are the problem, its the sum of the players. For instance Alonso, Mascherano and Gerrard were quality and had complimentary strengths and weaknesses. Alonsos biggest weakness was mobility, but Gerrard and Mascherano covered that by being mobile. Masch had a lack of creativity, but Alonso and Gerrard covered for that with their ability on the ball. The sum of their abilities were excellent, and maybe the best midfield in the world. It gave us control with and without the ball.

Our only really creative midfielder is Gerrard, but as defensive midfielder i'm not sure that he offers the protection and control we need in that position. Henderson has a lot of qualities, but creativity is not one of them. Same goes for Allen. I would have Henderson in my midfield any day though, and i think he has the potential to add more goals and assists to his game. Lucas is in my opinion not good enough after his injury, and offers nothing on the ball. Thats why a midfield 3 with them would lack in creativity, even though it might be defensively the best we could offer right now. Coutinho is a really good creative player, but i believe he would struggle defensively against good teams and against physically strong teams in a midfield position, as an attacker he's fine. I haven't seen enough of Can to make up my mind on him yet.

I think the exceptional ability of Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling covered for a lot of the lack of creativity behind them last season. So with two of them out of the squad we are struggling.

I hate to say this but i think we need to take a page out of Mourinhos book and buy two players. One in the mould of Matic to cover the space in front of the defense, and one in the mould of Fabregas to be a creative force.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #272 on: October 23, 2014, 03:44:16 am »
Suggestions on whom we should buy are not really relevant to the thread topic, in my opinion.

Plus, I am sorry, it's too small-time to 'solve' whatever issues we appear to have by "getting more players".
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 04:36:57 am by GrkStav »
Ludi Circenses!

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: October 23, 2014, 03:48:08 am »
'Perhaps he can be...'

He already has shown he can play that role very well last season. He's never going to start every game there but he's already shown he can play it, indeed, his best performances for the club have been when he's occupied that role.

Mate, he did so well how many times last season? No, seriously, how many times would you say he played the #8 position well?

He has not already shown us he can play that role CONSISTENTLY last season. And his performances in that role this season have not done anything, at least for me, to suggest otherwise.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline creed111

• Anny Roader
« Reply #274 on: October 23, 2014, 04:24:26 am »
One angle to look at it from is that while yes not playing Gerrard will remove his cross-field balls, it would also mean less times our full-backs would be caught too far forward. Think about it. I've lost faith in Glen like many but in fairness to him constantly being caught too far up field, Gerrard perpetuates that. Remember a few weeks ago when Gerrard got on to Manquillo for not making a run to receive his switch.

Caveat* I want a system where our fullbacks are bombing forward as I envy Zabaleta and his contribution to City's game. But considering Glen couldn't wash Zabaleta's cleats in terms of decision making, maybe it's not for the best to have our fullbacks always been asked to bomb forward by our DM.

"Never forget what you are, the rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you."

- Tyrion

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #275 on: October 23, 2014, 04:47:00 am »
Mate, he did so well how many times last season? No, seriously, how many times would you say he played the #8 position well?

I can't remember him playing badly in a home game in that position. Vital part in our big wins against Spurs, Arsenal and Everton. Remember him having a good game vs City too. So I'd say he certainly has shown he can play it. Did well enough against West Brom this season and I think that's the only time he's played it?

He didn't do well in the away games from what I remember, and I think it obviously makes his job easier when he has the ball in behind to Sturridge available, but other than that I'd have no qualms whatsoever playing him there in most home games.

edit: Not no qualms actually, he's a bit of a must. We can still be about fast transitions this season, that's what we do well, Coutinho is a big part of that.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 05:03:42 am by Bakez0151 »

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: October 23, 2014, 04:51:14 am »
I can't remember him playing badly in a home game in that position. Vital part in our big wins against Spurs, Arsenal and Everton. Remember him having a good game vs City too. So I'd say he certainly has shown he can play it. Did well enough against West Brom this season and I think that's the only time he's played it?

He didn't do well in the away games from what I remember, and I think it obviously makes his job easier when he has the ball in behind to Sturridge available, but other than that I'd have no qualms whatsoever playing him there in most home games.

Ok, fair enough. Perhaps you have a point in terms of home games.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #277 on: October 23, 2014, 04:56:03 am »
                 Gerrard
       Henderson Lallana
Sterling                 Coutinho

With Allen in there for tougher games.

to be honest, it seems like a pointless argument given that it depends on who we're playing to a very large extent.

Against Madrid I think BR got the selection correct, though obviously in hindsight Balotelli let him down.

Offline GrkStav

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: October 23, 2014, 04:59:13 am »
Balotelli being an integral part of our midfield, of course.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Obviously

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: October 23, 2014, 05:49:47 am »
Suggestions on whom we should buy are not really relevant to the thread topic, in my opinion.

Plus, I am sorry, it's too small-time to 'solve' whatever issues we appear to have by "getting more players".

Wasn't trying to make this a thread about transfers. I was trying to suggest that all of our combinations in midfield have their weaknesses, some bigger than others. Playing Gerrard and Coutinho in a midfield 3 would make us defensively vulnerable, but attacking and creative. Henderson, Allen, Lucas lacks ability to create, but would probably be our best defensive line up. 

And its not about getting more players, its about getting the right players with the right qualities so our balance in the team is right. We are struggling in attack and defense, that would suggest that somethings wrong in the midfield(not the only reason, but part of the problem). IMO no matter what combination we choose we will struggle in some way.