Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1399400 times)

Offline cissesbeard

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #2680 on: January 14, 2019, 10:07:09 am »
Last time we played Man United we racked up more shots on goal than we have against any team in the last 12 months. Do people seriously think just because they’ve sacked Mourinho and employed the man that relegated Cardiff that suddenly we need to be worried?

Yes of course it could be a tough game, as can any away game in this division, and yes I’m sure they’d love to put a spanner in the works of our title challenge, but if we play to our level and they play to theirs we win. If Spurs could finish yesterday they’d have gotten fucking murdered and nobody would be in the least bit worried. Give us that many opportunities and they will get fucking murdered.

Christ.

agree. this utd team still arent that good. they are putting up more of a fight but their defence and protection from midfield is midtable. going forward they may score against us but onus will be on them come out and attack us at old trafford - could make it better game for us than previous trips when mourinho and van gaal had them safety first.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #2681 on: January 14, 2019, 10:11:24 am »
agree. this utd team still arent that good. they are putting up more of a fight but their defence and protection from midfield is midtable. going forward they may score against us but onus will be on them come out and attack us at old trafford - could make it better game for us than previous trips when mourinho and van gaal had them safety first.

Team for team, we are still above their level.

What those c*nts would do however, is to break our legs to prove "passion". You know, the usual suspects like Young and Valencia will be flying into tackles and referee will bottle it as usual.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2682 on: January 14, 2019, 10:22:02 am »
Why is there so much chat about utd on here today? Fuck them, we'll fucking pan them when we go to that shithole, end of.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2683 on: January 14, 2019, 10:28:26 am »
Spurs need to bridge a 10 point gap to get ahead of us now considering the goal difference advantage we have on them so its pretty much a two horse race. Crazy to say that with just 22 games played but I see neither us or City letting Spurs back into the discussion as their squad is creaking due to the workload. They should be picking up a couple of players this Jan even to help maintain the status quo.

Anyhoo I just looked that last season we won something like 9 games to get to the CL final, approx. So winning 65% of our games allowed us a chance to win supposedly the toughest comp around. Right now we are sitting on a winning percent of 80% and still have City breathing on our necks. For this club its probably harder to win our own league as we should have had 2 if not 3 CL titles the past decade. As good as we are playing right now we still have to maintain the winning % as anything less may not be good enough. Bloody nuts.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2684 on: January 14, 2019, 11:18:09 am »
Yes, one game at a time. But as fans, we are wont to think too far ahead. Let's just say that if we are still ahead by 4 points or more after that fixture is played, we should be clear favourites for the title.

One game at a time. That's the mantra for the club. Should be the mantra for all the fans.
The odds don't mean anything, the history doesn't mean anything.

We have mostly 6-7 days to prepare for each match (in this next period anyway).
Just beat Crystal Palace and get more players fit to the next one after.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2685 on: January 14, 2019, 11:36:40 am »
One game at a time. That's the mantra for the club. Should be the mantra for all the fans.
The odds don't mean anything, the history doesn't mean anything.

We have mostly 6-7 days to prepare for each match (in this next period anyway).
Just beat Crystal Palace and get more players fit to the next one after.

It's strange because, that has always been the line and the plan for the team, one game at a time, and always in the past I tended to loo a bit further ahead. What happens here, there , next month, when we play Utd, City etc etc.   In the last 6/7 weeks , since we got in front, I only think about the next game and getting the number of games left down by 1 and keeping the lead. Suppose I understand it now more. Focus.
Still get caught up in the odd chat about latter games but in my mind I just want 15 games left and still at least 4 pints gap.

Offline Ben87

• Main Stander
« Reply #2686 on: January 14, 2019, 11:55:47 am »
Last time we played Man United we racked up more shots on goal than we have against any team in the last 12 months. Do people seriously think just because they’ve sacked Mourinho and employed the man that relegated Cardiff that suddenly we need to be worried?

Yes of course it could be a tough game, as can any away game in this division, and yes I’m sure they’d love to put a spanner in the works of our title challenge, but if we play to our level and they play to theirs we win. If Spurs could finish yesterday they’d have gotten fucking murdered and nobody would be in the least bit worried. Give us that many opportunities and they will get fucking murdered.

Christ.

Completely agree, people seem to be talking about them like they are invincible when in reality they have beaten one top 6 team that they could have easily lost to.

Look how Chelsea started under Sarri. That’s now wore off and teams have realised they are beatable. The exact same will happen with united who in reality have a fairly average team on the whole.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #2687 on: January 14, 2019, 12:00:45 pm »
It's strange because, that has always been the line and the plan for the team, one game at a time, and always in the past I tended to loo a bit further ahead. What happens here, there , next month, when we play Utd, City etc etc.   In the last 6/7 weeks , since we got in front, I only think about the next game and getting the number of games left down by 1 and keeping the lead. Suppose I understand it now more. Focus.
Still get caught up in the odd chat about latter games but in my mind I just want 15 games left and still at least 4 pints gap.

Yeah I'm with you, it's so easy to think ahead. I guess I keep reminding myself, City were sitting there quite happily with their mega-squad and then all-of-sudden Crystal Palace come to town and gave it a go. The physical nature of our league cannot be underestimated. The players we put out have to be ready for the battle each week. As JK says, there is nothing we can do about City now. But more importantly, there is nothing they can do about us if we keeping winning.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2688 on: January 14, 2019, 12:16:21 pm »
Yeah I'm with you, it's so easy to think ahead. I guess I keep reminding myself, City were sitting there quite happily with their mega-squad and then all-of-sudden Crystal Palace come to town and gave it a go. The physical nature of our league cannot be underestimated. The players we put out have to be ready for the battle each week. As JK says, there is nothing we can do about City now. But more importantly, there is nothing they can do about us if we keeping winning.

They weren’t sitting there quite happily though. They were 2 points ahead and in all likelihood if Mane’s goal at the Emirates is given as it should be they aren’t ahead by that either.

It’s been neck and neck with us and them all season, I’m pretty sure they’ve never had more than a 2 point lead at any stage with the same number of games played.

They were 7 behind us and had to fight tooth and nail to reduce that gap to 4.

Of course we take every game as it comes and remain vigilant that anyone is capable of beating anyone in this division, but Klopp will take care of the attitude in that respect anyway. Whilst City’s poor results in December can serve us well as a reminder of the above, in reality what those results say is that City are prone to poor results against teams you’d expect them to beat, especially when the pressure is on a bit, not that the same is likely to happen to us.

Ive been saying this for the last week, but if we can make it 5 from 5 in the games following th City match, of which we’ve already won 1, I fully expect that gap to be at least 6 points, as I’m sure City will falter somewhere. Granted if you look at each game individually it difficult to see City dropping points, but cumatively I can genuinely see there being a fuck up there, fingers crossed it’s tonight.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 12:18:45 pm by Jm55 »

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2689 on: January 14, 2019, 12:43:27 pm »
We've very rarely gone to Old Trafford and put up a performance. 2008/09 and 2013/14 seem like the only recent examples. At least post-Houllier.

We pretty much go there and don't perform most games. To a lesser extent, but we seem to have a mental block of going to Old Trafford, a bit like Everton do of Anfield. It's going to be a massive hurdle for us. However, we have a few other games to get through 1st. Continue to put wins on the board and then it doesn't look as imperative that you need to clear every potential hurdle in the fixture list.

definitely.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2690 on: January 14, 2019, 03:37:32 pm »
I agree KJ.  Know of a few red mancs who I have worked with and there take on it is if city win it means fuck all it isn't sacred and will just be forgotten.  Where as if we win it then it means a whole lot more and would put us 1 behind on 19. Make no mistake the Scouse hating kicks in too and they will be rooting for city

Yeah, no ones that arsed about City. 
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2691 on: January 14, 2019, 03:55:32 pm »
Why is there so much chat about utd on here today? Fuck them, we'll fucking pan them when we go to that shithole, end of.

It's because while we can only take it a game at a time, we do have a pretty intense sequence of very big games against opposition with top quality players (Bayern, Man Utd, Everton). IMHO I think this particular sequence will play a big role in whether we win any silverware (obviously in the case of the CL as we are in a knockout phase, but also because Man U and Everton are two of the hardest challenges remaining in the league). I pointed out that hopefully we will have our whole squad fighting fit to choose form and that we'll need to be in good form when that sequence comes around in order to progress. Some people have appear to have mistaken that as "we should be afraid of any of these teams".

I don't think we need fear any team. .We've shown that we can match anybody on our day. We're one of the best teams in the world. We've got more than enough about us to beat Man Utd and Everton and get points away from home, and more than enough to beat Bayern over 2 legs too. However, they will be tough games and the lads will have to be at full intensity but as well as that ensure that there is no drop off in performance after playing such big games, and also hopefully we don't pick up injuries. Many intriguing games to go and that sequence will be as intriguing and interesting as it gets.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2692 on: January 14, 2019, 04:02:59 pm »
Team for team, we are still above their level.

What those c*nts would do however, is to break our legs to prove "passion". You know, the usual suspects like Young and Valencia will be flying into tackles and referee will bottle it as usual.

Hopefully they continue to believe the hype around themselves right now and remain in some sort of form when they face us.. A United side playing football and attacking us will actually be beneficial to us.. We are capable of absorbing what they throw at us and more than capable of hurting them at the other end of the pitch..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2693 on: January 14, 2019, 04:14:47 pm »
Hopefully they continue to believe the hype around themselves right now and remain in some sort of form when they face us.. A United side playing football and attacking us will actually be beneficial to us.. We are capable of absorbing what they throw at us and more than capable of hurting them at the other end of the pitch..

I reckon PSG will tear them a new one right before we play them.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2694 on: January 14, 2019, 04:15:51 pm »

Agreed.

If they play anything like they did in Paris against us United are getting slapped.

Offline 88_RED

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2695 on: January 14, 2019, 04:18:54 pm »

Yeah.. shame really..   ;D
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Jeieli

• Gino Oh Gino Gin-nel-leee
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #2696 on: January 14, 2019, 04:21:00 pm »
Someone still chasing? They must be tired..

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2697 on: January 14, 2019, 04:34:57 pm »
It's because while we can only take it a game at a time, we do have a pretty intense sequence of very big games against opposition with top quality players (Bayern, Man Utd, Everton). IMHO I think this particular sequence will play a big role in whether we win any silverware (obviously in the case of the CL as we are in a knockout phase, but also because Man U and Everton are two of the hardest challenges remaining in the league). I pointed out that hopefully we will have our whole squad fighting fit to choose form and that we'll need to be in good form when that sequence comes around in order to progress. Some people have appear to have mistaken that as "we should be afraid of any of these teams".

No.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline 88_RED

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2698 on: January 14, 2019, 04:38:19 pm »

I don't think we need fear any team. .We've shown that we can match anybody on our day. We're one of the best teams in the world. We've got more than enough about us to beat Man Utd and Everton and get points away from home, and more than enough to beat Bayern over 2 legs too. However, they will be tough games and the lads will have to be at full intensity but as well as that ensure that there is no drop off in performance after playing such big games, and also hopefully we don't pick up injuries. Many intriguing games to go and that sequence will be as intriguing and interesting as it gets.

Chelsea and United will be our two toughest matches.. Chelsea were seconds from beating us and they did best City.. Against Everton we just need to play in riot gear and hope the players come out the other end unscathed..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2699 on: January 14, 2019, 04:41:01 pm »
Chelsea and United will be our two toughest matches.. Chelsea were seconds from beating us and they did best City.. Against Everton we just need to play in riot gear and hope the players come out the other end unscathed..

Chelsea were good, but they were good at the start of the season and we ourselves had plenty of chances to score before we did [Shaqiri sitter for instance].

We've been through tougher periods of games earlier in the year [Chelsea x2,Napoli,City,PSG], I mean you can't get tougher than that. And we just had a run of Napoli,United,Arsenal and City not that long ago.

Offline 88_RED

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2700 on: January 14, 2019, 04:43:23 pm »
Chelsea were good, but they were good at the start of the season and we ourselves had plenty of chances to score before we did [Shaqiri sitter for instance].

We've been through tougher periods of games earlier in the year [Chelsea x2,Napoli,City,PSG], I mean you can't get tougher than that. And we just had a run of Napoli,United,Arsenal and City not that long ago.

Agree.. that's why I have the bubbly on Ice already for May..  ;D
I'm a glass half full sort of guy..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Online Jm55

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2701 on: January 14, 2019, 04:45:48 pm »
Agree.. that's why I have the bubbly on Ice already for May..  ;D
I'm a glass half full sort of guy..

If we do win it I’m buying the 3+ bottles of Bollinger immediately after the final whistle blows, so as a) not to tempt fate, and b) hope that the shop assistant supports a rival team and to ruin their day.

Offline 88_RED

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2702 on: January 14, 2019, 04:49:08 pm »
If we do win it I’m buying the 3+ bottles of Bollinger immediately after the final whistle blows, so as a) not to tempt fate, and b) hope that the shop assistant supports a rival team and to ruin their day.

Then buy the bubbly in Manchester..  ;D

F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2703 on: January 14, 2019, 04:49:40 pm »
Can't look past Palace.

Offline 88_RED

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2704 on: January 14, 2019, 04:50:24 pm »
Can't look past Palace.

Yes sir..  :-X
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2705 on: January 14, 2019, 04:51:44 pm »
It's because while we can only take it a game at a time, we do have a pretty intense sequence of very big games against opposition with top quality players (Bayern, Man Utd, Everton). IMHO I think this particular sequence will play a big role in whether we win any silverware (obviously in the case of the CL as we are in a knockout phase, but also because Man U and Everton are two of the hardest challenges remaining in the league).

I mean, come on.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #2706 on: January 14, 2019, 04:55:08 pm »

We'll have to play well in every game and not just the United one. If we are going to win the league then we need to concentrate and make our superiority pay. We are better than United by a street. Yes they could win but then so could any team we play.
#JFT97

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2707 on: January 14, 2019, 05:03:39 pm »
It's all well and good trying to pinpoint certain games as "when we'll know where we are" will be the "toughest" etc etc but those games aren't till March by which time we'll be so far ahead of the pack, those games won't matter [emoji41][emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline scalatore

• Kopite
« Reply #2708 on: January 14, 2019, 05:10:34 pm »
One thing that astounded me when I realised it was that if we dropped 20 points in our next 16 games (1.75ppg), we'd still have a higher points total than 2013/14. Absolutely crazy.

We're not dropping 20 points, btw. We're going to win the league.

« Reply #2709 on: January 14, 2019, 06:13:51 pm »
We need an even stronger second half of the season, to do this we really need more from at least one of Keita, Lallana, Sturridge, and Origi. I know Ox will be back soon but we can expect that much from him.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #2710 on: January 14, 2019, 06:16:19 pm »
We need an even stronger second half of the season, to do this we really need more from at least one of Keita, Lallana, Sturridge, and Origi. I know Ox will be back soon but we can expect that much from him.

No point guessing. Let's see what happens. All we can do is our best.
#JFT97

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2711 on: January 14, 2019, 06:54:34 pm »
Yes sir..  :-X

I meant for me personally  ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2712 on: January 14, 2019, 07:25:25 pm »
Leeds fan I work with had a nice omen for me today. When we won the League in 1990, Leeds and Sheffield United won promotion to the top flight. They’re currently first and second.

It’s reet fucking on, I tell thee.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #2713 on: January 14, 2019, 07:29:44 pm »
Leeds fan I work with had a nice omen for me today. When we won the League in 1990, Leeds and Sheffield United won promotion to the top flight. They’re currently first and second.

It’s reet fucking on, I tell thee.

Thy's getting my hopes up and reet chuffed, I tell ye. Now, where's me lard sandwiches?
Better looking than Samie.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2714 on: January 14, 2019, 08:01:18 pm »
One thing that astounded me when I realised it was that if we dropped 20 points in our next 16 games (1.75ppg), we'd still have a higher points total than 2013/14. Absolutely crazy.

We're not dropping 20 points, btw. We're going to win the league.

City dropped 10 in their last 16 games last season.  We have a 4 pt lead pending their game with Wolves so it’s not inconcevable that we could drop 13 pts and win the league, which even that would be some loss of form. 

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2715 on: January 14, 2019, 08:06:44 pm »
Our next few games we have to be wary of. Although not the greatest sides, Palace, Leicester and West Ham have some dangerous players and can cause damage.

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
« Reply #2716 on: January 14, 2019, 08:08:09 pm »
Can't look past Palace.

Never mind OBEs and Knighthoods, we have to win the next game first...!
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2717 on: January 14, 2019, 08:09:48 pm »
Our next few games we have to be wary of. Although not the greatest sides, Palace, Leicester and West Ham have some dangerous players and can cause damage.

Yup, Palace game is always tight home or away, Leicester as well.

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #2718 on: January 14, 2019, 08:40:57 pm »
Nice one Wolves. Kids are crying.

Offline RedorRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #2719 on: January 14, 2019, 08:42:09 pm »
Manchester City are going to hammer Wolves here. How was that a red and Kompany wasn’t?
Down to 10 men, 2 - nil down already not looking good.