Author Topic: Digital Camera: Which one?  (Read 57158 times)

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
Re: Digital Camera: Which one?
« Reply #200 on: July 14, 2006, 01:47:04 pm »

Offline gerry7

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: July 14, 2006, 01:54:38 pm »
£130 on the dot on ebay

Thats where I got mine.Off emilyandlily or something.Anyway,just incase you dont know they sell refurbished cameras and NOT NEW.Its says so on the add but I missed it.The camera arrived and you would never know and I am still chuffed to bits with it.
They are fine to buy off if thats who your looking at but I just thought you might have missed that on the add also, and its not much different in price to a brand new one off amazon.

Thats still the one id go for every time.Have since recommended it to my father in law and he also fell in love with it
Good luck with whatever you go for. 

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #202 on: July 14, 2006, 01:56:07 pm »
Thats where I got mine.Off emilyandlily or something.Anyway,just incase you dont know they sell refurbished cameras and NOT NEW.Its says so on the add but I missed it.The camera arrived and you would never know and I am still chuffed to bits with it.
They are fine to buy off if thats who your looking at but I just thought you might have missed that on the add also, and its not much different in price to a brand new one off amazon.

Thats still the one id go for every time.Have since recommended it to my father in law and he also fell in love with it
Good luck with whatever you go for. 

Sold

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2006, 12:06:34 pm »
I'm thinking about getting a new digital camera for my birthday.

I need a good pocket camera. One I can take out with me and just stick in my pocket when I'm done.

I like the look of the Fujifilm Z2 and the Samsung i6.

Was wondering if anyone has either one?

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #204 on: August 8, 2006, 10:59:42 am »
Brad, get the IXUS - mate of mine who's a pro photographer (and who uses nikon for work) has one, after a LOT of testing of different makes and models. I had to persuade him originally to look at a canon, but once he did, he was sold.

They are fantastic cameras for the price. Great quality, good features.

Did you see my reply to you in the last thread?

If I was you, I'd go canon. I'm a Canon man too!

You'd probably get a 300D for very good money now, and it's an excellent camera.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EOS-300D-Digital-SLR-Kit-1-GB-SANDISK-CARD_W0QQitemZ140004169632QQihZ004QQcategoryZ31388QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Canon-EOS-300D-Brand-new-DSLR-see-30D-20D-or-5D_W0QQitemZ230003771265QQihZ013QQcategoryZ31388QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

(note that second one is without lenses)

My Canon IXUS 65 has just turned up (about 20 mins ago) in time for my holidays   ;D

It truly is the dogs twitcher, and because the wife works for Canon, only cost £180....! :D
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline mulfella

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hedgehogs are boss
« Reply #205 on: August 8, 2006, 11:06:22 am »
I want it I want it

My mate got one of those - top class.

Always been a Canon man up until I had a play with that.

Fuji's are excellent too but I'm not sure you can beat that Kodak.
A place full of grammer Nazi's?
'Grammar' and no apostrophe in 'nazis'.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: August 8, 2006, 02:40:04 pm »
Careful with the Kodak z740, its the only 10x in its class without image stabilisation, hence why its cheaper. Trust me, if you haven't got a tripod and you're not in brighter than bright conditions, your going to struggle to keep things sharp.

Plus, the camera buffer is supposed to be dog turd, so shooting a series of images you can fill the buffer, but then it takes like 30 seconds+ to return the camera back to you. Basically, from what I've heard, its frustratingly clunky to shoot, then shoot again.

But, then its quality in other departments. Personally, I wouldn't get it. But, if money was tight, I'd get something with a smaller zoom that didn't suffer the same problems.

Offline Hoppy

• Wino
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Attack Attack Attack
« Reply #207 on: August 8, 2006, 03:08:33 pm »

My Canon IXUS 65 has just turned up (about 20 mins ago) in time for my holidays   ;D

It truly is the dogs twitcher, and because the wife works for Canon, only cost £180....! :D

Just been playing with this little beauty.......it's fuckin magic!    V.V.V.V.V.Impressed I tells yer!
In for a week, Out for a month....Duncan is a Tampon!

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #208 on: August 8, 2006, 03:25:28 pm »
Just been playing with this little beauty.......it's fuckin magic!    V.V.V.V.V.Impressed I tells yer!

I hope to be ordering my Kodak z740 in the near future

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: August 8, 2006, 04:46:15 pm »
I hope to be ordering my Kodak z740 in the near future

Go to camera shop and use it first, too many people buying stuff off t'interweb without actually seeing the item they are buying. Its crackers!

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #210 on: August 9, 2006, 06:43:41 am »
Go to camera shop and use it first, too many people buying stuff off t'interweb without actually seeing the item they are buying. Its crackers!

Getting ot off the back of reviews from people I trust, but I will go have a play 1st

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: August 12, 2006, 10:21:06 am »
Careful with the Kodak z740, its the only 10x in its class without image stabilisation, hence why its cheaper. Trust me, if you haven't got a tripod and you're not in brighter than bright conditions, your going to struggle to keep things sharp.

Plus, the camera buffer is supposed to be dog turd, so shooting a series of images you can fill the buffer, but then it takes like 30 seconds+ to return the camera back to you. Basically, from what I've heard, its frustratingly clunky to shoot, then shoot again.

But, then its quality in other departments. Personally, I wouldn't get it. But, if money was tight, I'd get something with a smaller zoom that didn't suffer the same problems.
Won't fitting a very fast memory card help with the buffer speed?
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #212 on: August 12, 2006, 07:26:19 pm »
Got the z740 :D

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #213 on: August 12, 2006, 07:35:24 pm »

Personally I'm very grateful for the image stabilisation on my Lumix, even with that on you struggle at high zoom with moderate light, with 10x zoom without OS you'll need bloody steady hands

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #214 on: August 12, 2006, 07:37:45 pm »
Quick question

It camne with a Lithium battery that can't be re-charged. How long will that last, and what batteries are suggested?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: August 12, 2006, 07:53:00 pm »
I don't need advice, I just want someone to buy me a Nikon D70.

Thank you.

;)

Offline Sweeper

• Give a little whistle
  • Kopite
  • Lifelong Rafa Supporter
« Reply #216 on: August 13, 2006, 12:32:54 am »
Jessops in town have a VERY good Fuji Finepix F11 (was 249.00) now £ 150.

Great Camera, Great Deal!!

Speaking from experience. Good LCD, good quallity, large pixel
Cut the Cancer from our club NOW!  Thank you Rafa for your class, dignity, humility...and for being one of us!

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #217 on: August 13, 2006, 10:40:08 am »
The only thing with the F11 is it hasn't got an optical viewfinder,other than that,a great camera.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: August 13, 2006, 12:02:06 pm »
The only thing with the F11 is it hasn't got an optical viewfinder,other than that,a great camera.

Optical viewfinders aren't that great. Not like they make taking pictures that much better.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: August 13, 2006, 12:15:52 pm »
I don't need advice, I just want someone to buy me a Nikon D70.

Thank you.

;)

I'm with Claire, I dont need the advice I'm stil waiting for the pink camera to appear :(

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: August 13, 2006, 12:40:37 pm »
I'm with Claire, I dont need the advice I'm stil waiting for the pink camera to appear :(

I know Lo, blokes talk absolute toss about anything and everything, go to the fucking shop and play with them all, whichever feels right in your hand, buy, sorted.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #221 on: August 14, 2006, 08:17:50 am »
I know Lo, blokes talk absolute toss about anything and everything, go to the fucking shop and play with them all, whichever feels right in your hand, buy, sorted.

:nirnir

I like my new camera, it takes pretty pictures. Now to find some to boost the portfolio :D

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: August 14, 2006, 12:24:57 pm »
Optical viewfinders aren't that great. Not like they make taking pictures that much better.

Sweeping statement. Optical viewfinders are good to brilliant on DSLRs. Cheap point and clicks are generally rubbish, but some high end non-DSLRs are good.

go to the rubbercock shop and play with them all, whichever feels right in your hand, buy, sorted.
:o

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #223 on: August 14, 2006, 01:16:29 pm »

A couple of people I work with who are well into their photography told me they wouldn't buy a camera without one and that's good enough for me.
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: August 14, 2006, 01:16:42 pm »
:nirnir

I like my new camera, it takes pretty pictures. Now to find some to boost the portfolio :D

I have seen no evidence of this

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #225 on: August 14, 2006, 01:25:03 pm »
I have seen no evidence of this

Goto www.playboy.com for evidence of my skills :wave

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2006, 01:26:40 pm »
Goto www.playboy.com for evidence of my skills :wave

In your dreams sweetie, in your dreams :D

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #227 on: August 14, 2006, 01:29:30 pm »
In your dreams sweetie, in your dreams :D

Every night ;D

Offline misskopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: August 25, 2006, 03:18:27 pm »
Planning on getting a digital camera as well for a pressie, but with all the new makes and models on amazon.co.uk and my indecisive nature :-\, don't know which one to go for. Prefer something pocket size though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :wave

"Anfield had surpassed the noise level of Stamford Bridge half an hour before kick-off and the Kop was only a quarter full. Packed, it proved an awesome 12th man." Andy Hunter

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: August 27, 2006, 08:40:46 pm »
Planning on getting a digital camera as well for a pressie, but with all the new makes and models on amazon.co.uk and my indecisive nature :-\, don't know which one to go for. Prefer something pocket size though. Any advice would be greatly appreciated :wave

I'd look out for the optical zoom (my simple advice would be - get as much as possible) and the type of memory card it has.

For professional reviews:
http://www.dpreview.com/
and more specifically
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/default.asp?view=rating

Good luck!

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #230 on: August 27, 2006, 10:29:53 pm »

depepnds how much you want to spend, but ANY Canon Ixus WILL be excellent.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline misskopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: August 28, 2006, 09:17:49 pm »
Thanks for the tips Gnurglan and nidgemo, much appreciated :wave.

Am guessing that 4X optical zoom would be alright then?

Budget is around 200£, a little over that is ok. Wasn't sure if I should go with a Sony or Canon though or it doesn't make much difference? 
"Anfield had surpassed the noise level of Stamford Bridge half an hour before kick-off and the Kop was only a quarter full. Packed, it proved an awesome 12th man." Andy Hunter

Online filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #232 on: August 28, 2006, 09:25:07 pm »
From most reviews I've seen I'd probably go for the Ixus range over the Sony options, but see if you can find anyoen who has one you can try out before you commit the cash

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: August 28, 2006, 09:49:12 pm »
Thanks for the tips Gnurglan and nidgemo, much appreciated :wave.

Am guessing that 4X optical zoom would be alright then?

Budget is around 200£, a little over that is ok. Wasn't sure if I should go with a Sony or Canon though or it doesn't make much difference? 

Sony's a music company, canon's a camera company...

Guess which one makes better cameras...
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline misskopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: August 28, 2006, 11:06:57 pm »
From most reviews I've seen I'd probably go for the Ixus range over the Sony options, but see if you can find anyoen who has one you can try out before you commit the cash

:)Thanks, will try. My brother owns a sony cybershot and he's overall pleased with it (the zoom, video recording, easy upload pics, etc..) but when I took it on holiday last time, I remember getting annoyed with the shutter delay so put me off from getting his same model.

@nidgemo

I take it you don't own a VAIO pc then :P.

The Canon IXUS 800 looks good, but on the pricey side. Think I'll opt for the 65 or 60. 

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #235 on: August 29, 2006, 08:31:51 am »
I am loving my Kodak Z740

:wave

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: August 29, 2006, 11:53:13 am »
@nidgemo

I take it you don't own a VAIO pc then :P.

No, as a designer and part time photographer, I stick with Mac and Canon religiously :D

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: August 29, 2006, 03:14:21 pm »
Misskopite, you had a look at any Olympus ones?

I bought one years ago, cost me £180 and it's still going strong now, get good value for money and they're really easy to use, usually nice looking things aswell.

Just seen this one on Jessops, for £199.99.

http://www.jessops.com/Store/s31777/0/Digital-Compact-Cameras/Olympus/SP-350-Digital-Camera/details.aspx?&IsSearch=y&pageindex=1&CatId=236&comp=n

Olympus SP-350

With 8.0 million pixels the Olympus SP-350 is an enthusiast's dream. Four exposure modes gives you the freedom to experiment whilst a precision 3x zoom lens (equivalent to 38-114mm on a 35mm camera), ensures that crisp and razor-sharp images are produced each and every time.

Featuring a range of focusing options from regular iESP autofocus to spot and multi-spot AF this model can be focussed manually. In addition a histogram function is available, both in playback mode and in real-time whilst framing, to enable exposure distribution to be checked on the extra-large 2.5" LCD monitor.

The SP-350 enables full manual control, in addition to automatic shooting options, and whether using Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority or the Full Manual mode, the results are only limited by the photographer's imagination. All results can be recorded in both JPEG and RAW formats.

* 8.0 million pixels
    * Bright 3x zoom lens (equiv. 38-114mm on a 35mm camera), 1:2.8-4.9. 15x total magnification incl. digital zoom
    * Large 2.5" LCD monitor
    * Auto, Programme, Aperture Priority, Shutter priority and manual exposure, 24 scene modes
    * Focusing options: Spot with option to select AF area with 1 43 points, iESP autofocus and manual focus
    * Super Macro mode up to 2cm
    * Histogram function in shooting and playback modes
    * Recording in JPEG or RAW formats
    * Very long battery life (up to 510 shots) and uses standard AA batteries
    * TruePic TURBO image processor
    * Movie recording with sound (VGA size at 30fps), recording length limited only by card capacity
    * 25MB internal memory plus xD-Picture Card slot
    * USB Hi-Speed AutoConnect
    * PictBridge compatible

OR... this little fella for £182.

Olympus Mju 700

* 7.1 million pixels
    * Weatherproof metal body
    * BrightCapture Technology for better low light photography
    * 6.4cm/2.5” LCD
    * 3x zoom lens (equiv. to 37-111mm in 35mm format), 1:3.4-5.7
    * 23 scene modes (incl. Candle, Night Scene, Beach & Snow) plus Programme Auto mode
    * Movie function with sound. Recording up to memory capacity.
    * Macro and Super Macro mode for shooting from as little as 8cm
    * Special editing functions to enhance images and to add creative effects: e.g. red-eye-fix, adjust brightness, insert frame and/or title
    * PictBridge compatible
    * Internal memory plus xD-Picture Card slot for new high-speed cards
    * Multi-language menu plus possibility to download further languages from the internet
    * Supplied with Olympus Master Software 1.4 and LI-42B rechargeable battery

I'd suggest looking at the Nikon Coolpix range, as I'm a big big fan of Nikon, but they tend to be quite pricey for what you actually get. Olympus are a good brand, and even my technophobe mother can operate the C2 I've got with no problems.

Oh, and if you go into Jessops, they'll usually let you have a mess with the cameras so you can choose which one 'fits' you best, if that doesn't sound too strange... :-\
« Last Edit: August 29, 2006, 03:20:46 pm by Claire. »

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #238 on: August 29, 2006, 03:57:40 pm »
For anyone who is interested.

Lo got her Pink camera, she is very very happy with it :wave

Offline misskopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: August 29, 2006, 09:16:13 pm »
I am loving my Kodak Z740

:wave

5X zoom on that, nice! Am looking for something pocket size though, ta :wave

No, as a designer and part time photographer, I stick with Mac and Canon religiously :D

Ah, makes sense then :).

Misskopite, you had a look at any Olympus ones?

No, I hadn't looked into any of the Olympus models yet. I do like the look of the Mju 700 you posted :D. And no it doesn't sound strange at all :), best to play around with them in person, but I've just been tied up at the moment with this dreaded dissertation writing. Think I will have to eventually drop by the shops and mess about with them.  Really appreciate all the help and advice :wave