Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3471574 times)

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #55640 on: January 30, 2023, 04:47:18 pm »
I finally watched the Banshee of Inisherin. Brilliant film and recommended. The hype is well deserved and great acting performances all round.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #55641 on: January 30, 2023, 10:28:31 pm »
Watched Banshees of Inisherin today... So simple and so amazing. What a great movie

Just finished this, a decent movie, but really not my style of movie. I can see why people enjoyed it though.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55642 on: January 30, 2023, 10:31:38 pm »
Saw Plane today, doesn't try to be anything it isn't. Butler is as gruff and resolute as you'd expect. It's no Greenland but it's better than most of the films like this he's done.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #55643 on: January 30, 2023, 10:44:06 pm »
Just finished this, a decent movie, but really not my style of movie. I can see why people enjoyed it though.
Good ones?  ;D

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55644 on: January 30, 2023, 10:56:32 pm »
Good ones?  ;D
;D No I like good movies, I just can't explain it properly, it's not really a movie i'd sit back and enjoy.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #55645 on: January 31, 2023, 12:03:39 am »
;D No I like good movies, I just can't explain it properly, it's not really a movie i'd sit back and enjoy.
I know mate, I'm only kidding.

To be fair, I've been surprised by the overwhelmingly positive response to it. Not because I don't think it's great, it is, but because of how bleak and hard it is at times. And while the humour and dialogue are great, they have a quite dark undertone to them. Personally, I love that kind of movie and Martin McDonagh is one of my favourite working directors, so I was always going to love this, and I did. But I'm not surprised in the slightest that some people don't respond to it.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55646 on: January 31, 2023, 12:39:49 am »
I know mate, I'm only kidding.

To be fair, I've been surprised by the overwhelmingly positive response to it. Not because I don't think it's great, it is, but because of how bleak and hard it is at times. And while the humour and dialogue are great, they have a quite dark undertone to them. Personally, I love that kind of movie and Martin McDonagh is one of my favourite working directors, so I was always going to love this, and I did. But I'm not surprised in the slightest that some people don't respond to it.

To be fair the acting was fantastic and I really enjoyed the interactions and dialogue. I dunno just at the end I just felt there wasn't much of a point to it, is the best way I can explain it.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #55647 on: February 1, 2023, 11:48:29 pm »
Didn't get to see it when it was released last year, but Hand of God is a very good coming of age film, albeit slightly too long

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55648 on: February 2, 2023, 12:30:00 am »
Saw Tenet today. Never felt rushed to see it, and now I can see it was justified. Looked nice at times, as you'd expect, but the exposition/pace/script/emotional impact was just all over the place. Felt like it'd have done better as a six part mini-series on HBO.

Opening scene was good fun to watch though (though not nearly as good as Heat, or his previous heist-type thing at intro of Dark Knight)

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55649 on: February 4, 2023, 07:03:34 pm »
Gave Babylon a watch, and what a fever dream of a film it is. Lots to like about it but also threatens to disappear up it's own ass at times. There's a sequence in the last 30 mins or so that takes a sudden left turn straight from a Kubrick film, and the ending montage is bonkers.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #55650 on: February 4, 2023, 07:08:17 pm »
Saw Tenet today. Never felt rushed to see it, and now I can see it was justified. Looked nice at times, as you'd expect, but the exposition/pace/script/emotional impact was just all over the place. Felt like it'd have done better as a six part mini-series on HBO.

Opening scene was good fun to watch though (though not nearly as good as Heat, or his previous heist-type thing at intro of Dark Knight)
I thought it was a steaming pile of shit.  It made no sense.. and the action scenes were nonsensical and made no logical sense whatsoever
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55651 on: February 4, 2023, 10:49:30 pm »
Watched Barbarian last night after seeing the good reviews. That's another 2 hours of my life I'll never get back.

Barbarian was ok but all the tropes of seemingly smart people making dumb decisions to move the story forward were there.

I thought the weakest part of it was the 'horror' element/the explanation of what the 'monster' was but the first act was the best, when it was just the two characters and the awkwardness/nervousness that that entailed, given the circumstances. Also liked what they did with Justin Long's character, not subtle but still quite powerful.

I do agree about characters making dumb decisions, that really annoyed me for some reason ;D
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55652 on: February 5, 2023, 01:47:38 am »
Just watched all quiet on the western front. Wow had me gripped from the start with the cloths being recycled. One of the best war films I’ve seen and I’ve seen a lot but not the original 1930 version of the book.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55653 on: February 5, 2023, 11:40:05 am »
I thought the weakest part of it was the 'horror' element/the explanation of what the 'monster' was but the first act was the best, when it was just the two characters and the awkwardness/nervousness that that entailed, given the circumstances. Also liked what they did with Justin Long's character, not subtle but still quite powerful.

I do agree about characters making dumb decisions, that really annoyed me for some reason ;D
Ooh I didn't see there were Barbarian posts.

I was shocked how bad Barbarian was - I had seen it was well considered and got completely taken in so gave it a go with friends (thankfully, would have been a painful solo watch). After seeing it and looking back at the praise it received it seemed like a lot of it was from gen-z US kids who haven't seen good horror films before and fans of the actors [see also The Menu being considered amazing by same crowd].

Thought the standard of writing made more sense when I found out the guy's background was that painfully unfunny kind of SNL style improv comedy - felt like Barbarian tried to be darkly funny horror film but was trope-y on both counts so achieved neither.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55654 on: February 5, 2023, 12:17:49 pm »
Yeah, I can see why some people really didn't like it. The best part was the set up at the beginning but thinking some more about it, the monster element and the characters making dumb decisions was pretty bad.

I am planning on watching The Menu as well given the reviews :P

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #55655 on: February 5, 2023, 01:04:36 pm »
was just going to watch Barbarian as it's been sitting on the comp for some time now

think i'll swerve it and let it sit longer till im desperate

im in the mood for watching something good rather than a try and see job (the post in the thread that said 'making dumb decisions' was a huge red flag, nope, can't suffer that shit for now  ;D)

thanks for the head's up
« Last Edit: February 5, 2023, 01:08:33 pm by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55656 on: February 5, 2023, 02:47:22 pm »
Yeah, I can see why some people really didn't like it. The best part was the set up at the beginning but thinking some more about it, the monster element and the characters making dumb decisions was pretty bad.

Agreed on the beginning set up - I think thats partly what exercised me so mcuh about the rest of it, that it seemed to have good potential.

The Menu is definitely a lot better, but it just didn't really land for me (hope you enjoy!)
was just going to watch Barbarian as it's been sitting on the comp for some time now

think i'll swerve it and let it sit longer till im desperate

im in the mood for watching something good rather than a try and see job (the post in the thread that said 'making dumb decisions' was a huge red flag, nope, can't suffer that shit for now  ;D)

thanks for the head's up
Bodies Bodies Bodies is quite fun and gets its tone right, I think

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55657 on: February 5, 2023, 03:14:33 pm »
The Menu and Barbarian both started off well, the latter had a very interesting, plausible set-up and the formers satirical tone was reasonably successful at first.  Both films got worse the longer they went on though.  I can forgive The Menu, even though it fell apart towards the end it was ambitious and attempted something interesting.  Barbarian just descended into your average schlocky nonsense, eventually it just became tiresome and I'm bewildered by its popularity, films such as Fresh, Watcher and Men were much more deserving of horror fans time.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55658 on: February 5, 2023, 03:20:08 pm »

Be interested to hear what you think of The Menu. I gave my thoughts on it about 2 pages back, in spoilers.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55659 on: February 5, 2023, 04:01:47 pm »
Saw The Whale on Friday, very beholden to it being adapted from the stage play. Great acting performances from the whole cast though.

Today I saw Knock At The Cabin, almost a bottle film with a few flashbacks. Simple conceit but done well. Dave Bautista really good in his role again.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55660 on: February 5, 2023, 11:55:43 pm »
The ending is a bit overblown but all in all I thought Babylon was great, though I fully understand why it hasn't done well commercially - an old fella in my screening walked out in the first five minutes when he saw the golden shower scene.

It's an interesting counterpoint to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, partly because Pitt and Robbie are in both but mostly in that they're fairytales about Hollywood history, but this one had far more life and humanity in it. Interesting that Tarantino obviously sees the Manson Murders as the point when Hollywood lost its innocence while for Chezelle, the advent of sound is when it gained a false and hypocritical air it packaged as innocence.

I've seen people describe Babylon as a depiction of how assimilation represents choosing to kill a part of yourself to chase a dream, and there is an element of that. But it seemed to me more a love letter to the people who made up the silent movie era, behind the camera and in front - the people who never really got to speak, not least because they didn't fit into the newer Hollywood's idea of itself. Chezelle's love for jazz also shines through. The score is superb and there are plenty of scattered silences which are well placed to heighten the drama, the idea that the music stops briefly and will one day stop for us all. It was a very enjoyable evening out.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #55661 on: February 6, 2023, 02:35:47 am »
Triangle of Sadness is quite good. Third act is far too long though

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55662 on: February 6, 2023, 07:10:54 am »
Just watched all quiet on the western front. Wow had me gripped from the start with the cloths being recycled. One of the best war films I’ve seen and I’ve seen a lot but not the original 1930 version of the book.

Fantastic movie and definitely worth watching in German with subtitles. That soundtracks is pure hell at times. Knowing how many were lost for so little land gained shows the utter stupidity of it all.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55663 on: February 6, 2023, 07:58:46 am »
The ending is a bit overblown but all in all I thought Babylon was great, though I fully understand why it hasn't done well commercially - an old fella in my screening walked out in the first five minutes when he saw the golden shower scene.

It's an interesting counterpoint to Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, partly because Pitt and Robbie are in both but mostly in that they're fairytales about Hollywood history, but this one had far more life and humanity in it. Interesting that Tarantino obviously sees the Manson Murders as the point when Hollywood lost its innocence while for Chezelle, the advent of sound is when it gained a false and hypocritical air it packaged as innocence.

I've seen people describe Babylon as a depiction of how assimilation represents choosing to kill a part of yourself to chase a dream, and there is an element of that. But it seemed to me more a love letter to the people who made up the silent movie era, behind the camera and in front - the people who never really got to speak, not least because they didn't fit into the newer Hollywood's idea of itself. Chezelle's love for jazz also shines through. The score is superb and there are plenty of scattered silences which are well placed to heighten the drama, the idea that the music stops briefly and will one day stop for us all. It was a very enjoyable evening out.

Not seen Babylon but this is a really cool review that makes me want to go see it even more.

No, not just because there is a golden shower scene either!! :)

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55664 on: February 6, 2023, 03:10:03 pm »
It's a really interesting period of cinema history as the switch from silent movies to the talkies then almost immediately brings in censorship for the first time being enforced by the Hays Code.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #55665 on: February 6, 2023, 05:54:02 pm »

That's a good take on it. Tarantino romaticised that era and Hollywood in general (obviously as it's said up front in the title!) telling the audience that we can essentially use film and cinema to imagine a new world where horrible things didn't happen to good people.

With Babylon it's even more clear that Chazelle loves filmmaking but despises Hollywood. He's essentially telling us that to climb the ranks and succeed you need to literally sell your soul to do so. That lucky breaks more than talent separate the stars from the also rans. That the system will crush anyone, but minorities and those on the margins of Hollywood are totally dispensable. That Hollywood has never cleaned itself up, but just hidden its excesses in very shadowy depths. The only way to keep your dignity is to quit.

Interestingly, in the end he suggests that the end product almost justifies the means because films can be larger than life and earn your place in history. It's a deeply cynical film but at the same time romanticises the art and the making of that art.

Like I said there's lots to like about it, but it's very self indulgent at times.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #55666 on: February 6, 2023, 06:26:22 pm »
We're drafting Pre-80s movies, gents. Everyone is invited to join in. If interested, sign-up on the thread below.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=353698.msg18718394#new

Cheers.

Online MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55667 on: February 7, 2023, 02:55:54 am »
Fantastic movie and definitely worth watching in German with subtitles. That soundtracks is pure hell at times. Knowing how many were lost for so little land gained shows the utter stupidity of it all.
Ive never watched a dubbed film before and not sure why you would, always go for subs.

I’m always more impressed by anti war films than others since it always feels more real. The pointlessness of it all rings true every time. It’s the problem I have with saving private Ryan which is a film I’ve always liked but for a lot of it it shows that pointlessness and randomness of who would be killed but at the heart of it there are heroes who gave their lives for the greater good. So it ends up glorifying it in a way?

I suppose that’s a problem with ww2. It’s the one war that is widely seen as good vs bad in most parts of the world and no in between so if you died on the allied side it is seen as a worthy sacrifice for the greater good.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55668 on: February 7, 2023, 07:01:37 pm »
Saw Puss In Boots The Last Wish today, the first film in a long time to take place in the Shrek Cinematic Universe (I think that's a thing now).

And its great, got a visual style that takes it away from the Shrek films, more akin to Spider-verse and Mitchells vs The Machines. Sort of weird now that Pixar seems to be falling behind in this regard (bar the anime flourishes in Turning Red).

The story is very well done with Puss now down to his last life attempting to locate a fallen star he can wish on to restore his lives. Assisted by Kitty Softpaws, and a chihuahua and perused by Goldilocks and the 3 bears, and Jack Horner. And even more scarily Death itself in the form of a wolf.

Highly recommended.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55669 on: February 7, 2023, 07:42:19 pm »
Saw unwelcome the other day.

First part was fairy standard tropes of horror in an out of the way place with the tension and mystery building

Second part was batshit crazy and pretty funny. I wasn't the only one laughing my head off but the missus was sat there in shocked silence :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55670 on: February 7, 2023, 07:43:34 pm »

I saw it the other way around. In that it was seen that the age of sound meant that everything was somehow tamer and more unreal. All the worst bits of the film were in the silent era.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #55671 on: February 7, 2023, 09:18:56 pm »
I enjoyed M3gan but I thought it was more of a Sci fi thriller than Horror.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #55672 on: February 8, 2023, 05:14:17 pm »
Just got around to Del Toro's Pinocchio. Incredibly expressive animation. Up there with Pan's Labryinth.

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55673 on: February 8, 2023, 06:54:37 pm »
Watched Bank of Dave on Netflix last night, it was 'alright', bit cringey in parts but not a bad watch.

Watch’s it last night , yep it was alright , I certainly wasn’t   expecting to see Sean Dyche and def leopard in the same movie 😂

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55674 on: February 9, 2023, 11:31:28 am »
I enjoyed M3gan but I thought it was more of a Sci fi thriller than Horror.

Yeah also not convinced it was a horror

Thought AI did the whole idea better as well :)

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55675 on: February 10, 2023, 02:10:19 am »
We're drafting Pre-80s movies, gents. Everyone is invited to join in. If interested, sign-up on the thread below.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=353698.msg18718394#new

Cheers.

Happy to Vote. Great era. Love the John Hughes films especially
Throw the voting up here when it’s ready.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55676 on: February 10, 2023, 08:03:46 am »
Went to see Knock at the Cabin last night.

Went in kind of blind thinking it was just a home invasion movie.  I was pleasantly surprised and quite enjoyed it.

Dave Batista starring initially rang alarm bells but he was surprisingly decent in a serious role.

Online ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55677 on: February 11, 2023, 12:57:51 pm »
Banshees of Inisherin was a work of art. Heartfelt, funny, beautifully acted and directed. One of the best I've seen in years and I hope it absolutely cleans up every award it's up for. Just stunning

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55678 on: February 11, 2023, 04:55:59 pm »
Went to see Women Talking this afternoon, a really powerful film filled with fantastic performances.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55679 on: February 11, 2023, 10:37:44 pm »
Be interested to hear what you think of The Menu. I gave my thoughts on it about 2 pages back, in spoilers.

Just finished watching The Menu, had really high hopes for it when I saw the trailer, but hated it.

I mean I get it, but honestly just really didn't enjoy it.

So I watched this and I'm with you, I really didn't like it. In fact, I feel like a little bit of my soul has died.