Author Topic: HBO Series:- The Last of Us [spoiler tags approach applies!]  (Read 26278 times)

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Re: HBO Series:- The Last of Us
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2023, 12:10:13 am »
Been thinking about the whole ‘done to death’ post apocalyptic thing, and remembering how much of an impact 28 days later made on me when he woke up in the hospital and was walking the empty streets of London. That film was so simple (low budget), but really striking for it’s time. Haven’t seen it for years, wonder if it’s stood up well.

Watched 28 Days Later for the first time in years fairly recently, I think it was when covid was worse (which would explain my choice of film). I think it’s got better with age, to be honest.

Offline baltic out here

• Would you buy a second hand vinyl off this fella?!
  • Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2023, 11:48:08 am »
Been thinking about the whole ‘done to death’ post apocalyptic thing, and remembering how much of an impact 28 days later made on me when he woke up in the hospital and was walking the empty streets of London. That film was so simple (low budget), but really striking for it’s time. Haven’t seen it for years, wonder if it’s stood up well.

Good shout! Still a great film I think, as well as the higher budget sequel. Yes the genre has been done to death, but so have most genres that have certain tropes. 28 Days was quite original yet still simple.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2023, 05:25:50 pm »

Never played the game or indeed any game since my ZX Spectrum in the 80s. Watched the first episode. Fine so far though the most compelling part was probably the prologue. I’ve always found the collapse of human civilisation more compelling than groups of people struggling to survive in the aftermath - the whole “which is worse, the zombies or the humans!”.

Like many others I have post apocalypse fatigue after suffering the Walking Dead. This offers some interesting arguments around government control and a great lead in Pascal. Will give it a go but not sure that I would say that first episode was extraordinary.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2023, 05:35:23 pm »

Yeah still great

Watched it the other day :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2023, 05:46:30 pm »
People need to realise the whole critical acclaim this is getting is from people who have seen the full show not just the first episode.

Offline End Product

• doesn't always come out of the right end
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2023, 10:58:20 pm »
Season 2 confirmed from HBO with working title of "Some more of us".
No time for caution.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: January 23, 2023, 12:30:20 am »
No no no, I have it on good authority from my right wing sources that it'll be called The Lgbt of Us.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 23, 2023, 07:57:48 am »
Episode two even better than the first, they've absolutely nailed this, even down to the colour palette.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: January 23, 2023, 08:37:03 pm »
Episode two even better than the first, they've absolutely nailed this, even down to the colour palette.

On it tonight. Can’t wait.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 23, 2023, 09:00:28 pm »
That second episode was wonderful. The world design in particular is incredible.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 23, 2023, 09:06:46 pm »
It's a technical marvel, and the little touches like the slightly muffled, directional audio of conversations between the two women when we were looking over Joel's shoulder, were clever. I was a little bored at times, though. I like the idea of an expository scene at the start of each episode, as just watching the two leads trudge around the gorgeous scenery while occasionally stopping to brick a blind zombie, will grow old fast.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #91 on: January 23, 2023, 09:07:30 pm »
10 mins in and Ellie is cracking me up. Bella is incredible

Probably even more tense than the first episode. As others have said it looks amazing and so far I’m enjoying it immensely.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2023, 09:45:25 pm by duvva 💅 »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 23, 2023, 09:25:23 pm »

Again the best part was the prologue.  In many ways more chilling than actual monsters with artichoke heads.

I like the actors a lot but I’ll want to see some progress beyond creeping around buildings. Haven’t played the game but assume that is coming. Will definitely watch this first series.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2023, 09:35:12 pm »
I just came across a comment from the show's creators saying the explanation for how the cordyceps initially spreads in is the first episode, so I've been back and watched certain scenes a couple of times to try to spot the answer. Here's my theory. But I'd recommend you have a go at making a guess yourself before you read mine because I've shared it with a few people already and all have said they really wish they had figured it out themselves.

Spoiler
Tainted flour/yeast. Sarah doesn't make pancakes for her, Joel and Tommy because Joel forgot to buy more mix. When the three of them leave the house, they meet Nana, who is being fed biscuits. Mrs Adler is baking cookies, but Sarah doesn't take any because they're raisin. Joel also forgets to bring a birthday cake home. And he even has the line about the Atkins diet, which is pretty on the nose for 'person not eating grains' even if he was only saying it to avoid the offer of the biscuits that Nana was being fed.

That's five little subtleties that mean nothing individually but surely mean something when combined.
[close]
nailed it.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2023, 10:55:30 pm »
Thought it was great. I wish I could binge it though.  ???

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2023, 10:57:10 pm »
The ending stuff of ep2. I think I prefered it how the game did it I must admit. But still a good episode.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2023, 11:41:54 pm »
I hope Joel loses that semi automatic soon. Far too much ammo being used so far, resources are supposed to be scarce in this world.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 24, 2023, 02:07:51 am »
Bullets and pills.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #98 on: January 24, 2023, 03:06:54 am »
I hope Joel loses that semi automatic soon. Far too much ammo being used so far, resources are supposed to be scarce in this world.
he’s is America. No shortage of guns or ammo.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 24, 2023, 03:39:09 am »

Where's the molotovs and sticky bombs???

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2023, 06:46:47 am »
Episode three has BAFTA-winning performances and is being raved about by critics. However, there is a high probability of pushback from more Conservative audience members.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2023, 07:16:19 am »
Fuck'em.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2023, 08:10:27 am »
Episode three has BAFTA-winning performances and is being raved about by critics. However, there is a high probability of pushback from more Conservative audience members.

Does Joel emote about how all this was caused by Brexit?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2023, 10:03:59 am »

He hasn't found the instruction manuals yet, plus as Angels said, he needs to consume some serious opioids to unlock his weapon crafting essence.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2023, 10:05:35 am »

Even better!  :D

It's a really intense watch. The atmosphere & tension created by the direction & acting is superb.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2023, 10:46:26 am »

More interested in upgraded baseball bats to be honest
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2023, 12:45:29 pm »
I'd be into each episode starting with a standalone flashback from pre-outbreak. Really helps with world building I think.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 24, 2023, 09:20:29 pm »

Homophobes not happy about Bill and Frank's relationship, I presume?

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #109 on: January 25, 2023, 06:15:48 am »
Yes.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2023, 07:59:44 am »
Homophobes not happy about Bill and Frank's relationship, I presume?

Nah I think it will be about something else, possibly involving a flashback  ;)

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2023, 03:07:59 pm »
Arrrr the Mall. Maybe.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2023, 05:42:18 pm »
Arrrr the Mall. Maybe.

Trump gets eaten in a mall and everyone pauses their running away to cheer?

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 27, 2023, 06:50:31 am »
Very promising first episode.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 27, 2023, 09:39:59 am »
The opening episode kind of reminded me of "A Quiet Place II"

A clammy nervousness.  Everyone knows something isn't quite right, as the tension builds.

Even my missus liked it too, which is a bonus.  Will catch-up with E2 tonight.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 27, 2023, 12:59:52 pm »
The opening episode kind of reminded me of "A Quiet Place II"

A clammy nervousness.  Everyone knows something isn't quite right, as the tension builds.

Even my missus liked it too, which is a bonus.  Will catch-up with E2 tonight.
Exact same for me. Mrs got a little upset before they do the time jump ;D

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: January 27, 2023, 05:06:58 pm »
Just announced that HBO have renewed The Last of Us for a second season.

Unsurprising, but a very, very fast renewal. Looking forward to seeing who they cast as Abby.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: January 27, 2023, 07:42:01 pm »
The first episode is on youtube free to watch.

Offline spartan2785

• Main Stander
« Reply #118 on: January 27, 2023, 07:44:54 pm »

Unsurprising, but a very, very fast renewal. Looking forward to seeing who they cast as Abby.

There are a lot of ways they could do the second season, personally I might even be interested in seeing them completely flip the script and show what happened in
Spoiler
Seattle with the Seraphites
[close]
before the events of Last of Us 2 I think that story could lead to some really interesting material that the writers could flex their creative muscle in since there is some canon but a lot more leeway.  They could also spend a lot more time on what happened to Abby before the events of TLoU 2. 

Season 1 pretty much needs to follow TLoU, but with the time skip and a bigger cast of characters, you could fill out the second season with a lot more background and possibly extend it into a 3rd and 4th season if it makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 09:52:10 pm by spartan2785 »

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 27, 2023, 07:53:06 pm »

Wasn't there some talk that she has already been cast and may even appear in this season, which would make sense as in the second game we see flashbacks to her backstory on the sidelines of the first one.