Author Topic: HBO Series:- The Last of Us [spoiler tags approach applies!]  (Read 26285 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: HBO Series:- The Last of Us
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2023, 08:40:47 am »
I've read that while the first season of the show covers Part I of the game, the plan is for Part II to span two seasons.

Absolutely no idea if there's a Part III coming, but if there is, you would think HBO has enough existing source material to get through over the coming years for the next installment of the game to at least be written, if not half made, in the meantime. I'm pretty sure I've also read that the plan here is to not take the show beyond the source material, but there could have been some clever phrasing at play there to keep discussion centred only on the two games that we all know. Either way, HBO should be busy enough for them to again do what they did with GOT and eventually work from a Part III outline if the game isn't ready for release by the time the show is due a fourth season.

Part III is in the works.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2023, 09:47:50 am »
Very excited to get started with this one.

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2023, 09:59:55 am »
Part III is in the works.

Not confirmed yet though is it? Druckman came and half debunked the leaks, although I think a Part III is inevitable, they just want to keep it under wraps until Factions comes out.

Makes a lot of sense to split Part II in to two seasons of the show if that’s the case
Spoiler
and means they can flesh out what happens between Game 1 and 2 a bit more before Joel dies. Narratively, game II is a lot harder to convert to TV.
[close]

Anyway I really enjoyed this, they got so many things right. Can’t wait until A-ha Take On Me pops up inevitably at some stage this season.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2023, 10:50:15 am »
I do wonder if the adaptation for Part II will keep the same narrative structure that the game had.

Spoiler
So whether we see 3 days worth of Seattle through Ellie's POV, and then revisit those same 3 days from Abby's POV. Or whether they'll change it up, and we'll see both Ellie and Abby as things are happening
[close]

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2023, 11:47:45 am »
Can I see this without having BO?

Sorry.

HBO?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #45 on: January 17, 2023, 12:06:36 pm »
Can I see this without having BO?

Sorry.

HBO?
It’s on Sky if you have that?
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2023, 12:42:39 pm »
Goes without saying if you have a PS3, PS4 or PS5 then this is a MUST PLAY game and will be cheap.

Free on PS5 on the PS plus collection, and dirt cheap on the PS3 and PS4.
Best possible way to play it is the Part 1 remake which is about £50 at the moment.
The remastered PS4 version is still very good though, that's the one that is free on the PS Plus collection for all PS5 owners.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2023, 01:24:15 pm »

We need some sort of convention for Part 1 spoilers and Part 2 spoilers  :( :(

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2023, 02:26:52 pm »

Don’t want to be too negative but with the changes at hbo this may be the last massive show they make for a while. Think the guy in charge has history with shite reality stuff that loads watch and that’s the road he’s looking to go down since it’s much cheaper to produce.

Think that's more to do with HBO Max (their streaming service) rather than HBO...

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2023, 03:30:06 pm »
I do wonder if the adaptation for Part II will keep the same narrative structure that the game had.

Spoiler
So whether we see 3 days worth of Seattle through Ellie's POV, and then revisit those same 3 days from Abby's POV. Or whether they'll change it up, and we'll see both Ellie and Abby as things are happening
[close]

Spoiler from the 2nd game.
Spoiler
One of the complaints about part II is that Abby kills Joel and then we have to play as her for a while before finding out her motivation. I wonder if they'll change that up too or stick to the source material. It'll be a few years before we find out I guess!
[close]

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 17, 2023, 04:01:40 pm »
Goes without saying if you have a PS3, PS4 or PS5 then this is a MUST PLAY game and will be cheap.

Free on PS5 on the PS plus collection, and dirt cheap on the PS3 and PS4.
Best possible way to play it is the Part 1 remake which is about £50 at the moment.
The remastered PS4 version is still very good though, that's the one that is free on the PS Plus collection for all PS5 owners.

It's one of the reasons I'm tempted to get a PS,won't bother playing it until the show has finished now though.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2023, 04:04:57 pm »
Looking forward to this. Might hold off until I can binge watch the whole series, as I've never played the game.

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 17, 2023, 04:31:28 pm »
I just came across a comment from the show's creators saying the explanation for how the cordyceps initially spreads in is the first episode, so I've been back and watched certain scenes a couple of times to try to spot the answer. Here's my theory. But I'd recommend you have a go at making a guess yourself before you read mine because I've shared it with a few people already and all have said they really wish they had figured it out themselves.

Spoiler
Tainted flour/yeast. Sarah doesn't make pancakes for her, Joel and Tommy because Joel forgot to buy more mix. When the three of them leave the house, they meet Nana, who is being fed biscuits. Mrs Adler is baking cookies, but Sarah doesn't take any because they're raisin. Joel also forgets to bring a birthday cake home. And he even has the line about the Atkins diet, which is pretty on the nose for 'person not eating grains' even if he was only saying it to avoid the offer of the biscuits that Nana was being fed.

That's five little subtleties that mean nothing individually but surely mean something when combined.
[close]

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 17, 2023, 07:21:42 pm »
I just came across a comment from the show's creators saying the explanation for how the cordyceps initially spreads in is the first episode, so I've been back and watched certain scenes a couple of times to try to spot the answer. Here's my theory. But I'd recommend you have a go at making a guess yourself before you read mine because I've shared it with a few people already and all have said they really wish they had figured it out themselves.

Spoiler
Tainted flour/yeast. Sarah doesn't make pancakes for her, Joel and Tommy because Joel forgot to buy more mix. When the three of them leave the house, they meet Nana, who is being fed biscuits. Mrs Adler is baking cookies, but Sarah doesn't take any because they're raisin. Joel also forgets to bring a birthday cake home. And he even has the line about the Atkins diet, which is pretty on the nose for 'person not eating grains' even if he was only saying it to avoid the offer of the biscuits that Nana was being fed.

That's five little subtleties that mean nothing individually but surely mean something when combined.
[close]

Spoiler
They literally tell you in the show how Nana got it from a hospital in the city and Mr & Mrs Adler get bit and turn.

The part the shows creator is referencing is the John Hannah scene right at the beginning explaining how a fungal infection could take control of human beings
[close]
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 07:24:30 pm by blacksun »

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 17, 2023, 08:30:00 pm »
Spoiler from the 2nd game.
Spoiler
One of the complaints about part II is that Abby kills Joel and then we have to play as her for a while before finding out her motivation. I wonder if they'll change that up too or stick to the source material. It'll be a few years before we find out I guess!
[close]

Spoiler
I think they might have cast Abby already and plan to introduce her in this series. Could be wrong, but I'm sure they have. Suspect they will just change up the narrative and have the beginning role of Abby in the game as someone else, before revealling Abby when Joel gets battered. They are definitely using flashbacks in this series too (the trailer shows Left Behind and Ellie's mum) so I guess for a lot of the plot of Part II in the second half of the game they can use flashbacks, but undoubtedly Part II is a much bigger challenge to convert to screen.
[close]

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2023, 08:01:34 am »
I'll be in the minority, but found it a bit dull.

Never played the game so don't really know the story or whats going on. Liked Pedro, didn't like the young girl (later in the episode)
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2023, 08:55:10 am »
Spoiler
I think they might have cast Abby already and plan to introduce her in this series. Could be wrong, but I'm sure they have. Suspect they will just change up the narrative and have the beginning role of Abby in the game as someone else, before revealling Abby when Joel gets battered. They are definitely using flashbacks in this series too (the trailer shows Left Behind and Ellie's mum) so I guess for a lot of the plot of Part II in the second half of the game they can use flashbacks, but undoubtedly Part II is a much bigger challenge to convert to screen.
[close]

Game 2 spoiler again.
Spoiler
Yeah I was thinking something similar, maybe show Abby late in the season but don't let her or Joel cross paths, so when they meet again later viewers can put together that Joel's in danger but he can't.
[close]

Offline Joseph-Immanuel Queen

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2023, 10:49:53 am »
Spoiler
They literally tell you in the show how Nana got it from a hospital in the city and Mr & Mrs Adler get bit and turn.

The part the shows creator is referencing is the John Hannah scene right at the beginning explaining how a fungal infection could take control of human beings
[close]

Spoiler
They just assume that the grandma picked it up in the hospital, don't they?

Seems like a pretty strong theory to me - the focus on the biscuits struck me as noticeably weird at the time, then they double down on it later on in the episode.

EDIT: Maybe it's tainted flour rather than yeast though, seeing as they make a big deal about the cake as well and cakes don't have yeast in them?
[close]
« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 11:36:18 am by Joseph-Immanuel Queen »

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2023, 05:44:07 pm »
The game is my favourite of all time, so I was quite wary of any sort of adaptation however I must say that was a damn fine start. The slight changes they made felt justified and the key things they got right. Both leads are going to be fantastic

Knowing what is to come, I cannot wait to see certain scenes! Also we’ve barely got to see the infected yet…..

Offline Saul Goodman

• Superfluous apostrophe's are us
  • Legacy Fan
  • Better call Saul!
    • Better Call Saul.
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2023, 06:37:45 pm »
Didn't enjoy it. The genre has been done to death and this offered nothing new. Decided to drop it already.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2023, 06:43:07 pm »
Didn't enjoy it. The genre has been done to death and this offered nothing new. Decided to drop it already.
Have you played the game or know the plot? If not I’d implore you to give it a few more episodes to see if it’s for you. Yes ‘zombie apocalypse’ stories have been overdone, I completely agree with you but imo this is so much more. So much so, the infected are almost background characters. It’s more of a tale of love, loss and humanity. Sounds deep but like I said in my previous post it’s my favourite game ever and the pilot has filled me with confidence it won’t let me down

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2023, 08:28:50 pm »

I've not bothered watching any of the zombie shows, so I guess I've inadvertently kept my powder dry for this. Plus, the game has an established story arc that it shouldn't wander too far from. They're not just making it up as they go along and can't string the audience along to the point people get bored of watching.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2023, 10:30:29 pm »
Different type of Zombie as well,real peril when you bump into one of these & I can't wait to see the monsters like we got in the trailer.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2023, 05:53:13 am »
Yeah, the undead in The Walking Dead became a bit of a joke after a while, no real danger to an experienced survivor except in huge herds. I stuck with TWD way too long, it's an absolutely crap show after the first few seasons :D. The one infected character we've seen in The Last of Us had the kind of pace Liverpool's midfield is crying out for, and plenty of snide. Some genuine scares to be had from this mob.

Anyway, that earlier side-by-side clip illustrates one of the things that jumped out at me, which was how incredibly faithful some scenes were to the game, right down to camera angles and panning, and even angles in the terrain (when Joel & Ellie first venture outside the compound - no, this isn't a spoiler, calm down). Lots of attention to detail. Hopefully they tone down the amount of drawer-opening that happens in the game, could get a bit dull, that. :D

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2023, 10:32:14 am »
The Walking Dead was pure rubbish. I also watched it far too long (I think I got up to Series 4 or something?). Unconvincing storylines and unconvincing characters, mixed in with some terrible dialogue and acting (and the occasional once-or-twice-a-series set piece that could be entertaining). The first series was great though. Have no idea how that programme ran as long as it did (might even still be going?!).

Going by the comments here and reviews I have read, I am pretty sure the Last of Us isn't that.

Offline lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2023, 11:26:45 am »
The praise and reviews are over the top.
I thought it was good at best.
The standout bit was John Hannah's speech at the start which gave it a Dawn of the Dead vibe.
It suffers because Post-Apocalyptic zombie thrillers have been done to death now and feel a bit stale.
Still, way better than any of the shite Disney + (Andor aside) has been churning out, which is a result.

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2023, 03:15:39 pm »
The Walking Dead was pure rubbish.

Agreed, but it had a great opening episode. Honestly the high point of that show!

First half of this was fantastic, the sequence in the car was so tense. It settled quickly into the familiar post-apocalyptic setting we've all seen many times. I'm hopeful it's not just going to be a cross between Walking Dead and The Road - from those who know the game it does sound like a cut above the usual stuff.

Also like that the monsters are scarier than zombies, fungus is rank. I've seen Ophiocordyceps (fungi that takes over ants) in a nature documentary once and it's one of the most fucked up things I've ever seen.
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2023, 09:18:22 pm »
im waiting to binge this when it's done but im encouraged by mates (who are gamers) giving it a thumbs up on the first episode with some reservations but no major concerns

i saw some comments about being turned off cos the scenario has been done to death (walking dead etc) and i totally get that

BUT

if they key into what made the game so great, that wont be a problem with Last of Us and that's the crux for me, if they can nail the relationship between the two main leads it wont feel like just another zombie stroller (i hate zombies btw, bore me to death, but Last of Us as a game wasn't normal zombie shit for a number of reasons)

personally i dont trust Druckmann, he comes off as one of those 'subvert expectation' dudes for the sake of it, look how clever i am and i can get you where you didnt expect me too - if he can get out of his own way, shit could be awesome

MAJOR spoiler - do not read if you dont know the two games
Spoiler
not only did he think 'gotcha' with joel, i dont even think that was his main motive, it came across as tho i will make you play and eventually side with a character you hate, that's how clever i am. for me, go fuck yourself, i wanted to kill that twat at the first available moment and that never changed throughout the game, despite the hatchet job he did on ellie to try to get you where he wanted. he was the very personification of a writer that put himself before his story, it's a very easy trap to fall into, especially on the coat tails of success.
[close]
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 09:21:43 pm by Armand9 »
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Online GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: January 20, 2023, 12:39:09 am »
I didn't have any problem with how the game's story evolved in Part 2, I thought the character's experiences, age and the general state of the world they lived in made their actions relatable. Won't say any more than that because I hate playing spoiler ping-pong. :D

Offline kopite321

• Bi-polar skyscraper
  • Kopite
« Reply #69 on: January 20, 2023, 09:02:03 am »
The praise and reviews are over the top.
I thought it was good at best.
The standout bit was John Hannah's speech at the start which gave it a Dawn of the Dead vibe.
It suffers because Post-Apocalyptic zombie thrillers have been done to death now and feel a bit stale.
Still, way better than any of the shite Disney + (Andor aside) has been churning out, which is a result.

All the reviews from critics are based on the nine full episodes.
During the recording sessions in Los Angeles, Spector held Johnny at gunpoint, forcing him to repeatedly play a riff.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #70 on: January 20, 2023, 10:52:03 am »
It’s on Sky if you have that?

Which bit of Sky? I've got Virgin, so have bits of Sky but not all of it - haven't got Sky Atlantic for instance.

Did a search, didn't see it.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2023, 11:21:27 am »
Watched the first episode last night and I'm in on it.

Was tough viewing at times
Spoiler
(the daughter)
[close]
, and I'm betting it gets tougher. 
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: January 20, 2023, 01:44:15 pm »
Which bit of Sky? I've got Virgin, so have bits of Sky but not all of it - haven't got Sky Atlantic for instance.

Did a search, didn't see it.

It is on Sky Atlantic.

Watched the first episode last night and I'm in on it.

Was tough viewing at times
Spoiler
(the daughter)
[close]
, and I'm betting it gets tougher. 

Spoiler
When I first played the game 10 years ago my seven year old daughter and my girlfriend were sat on their laptops/tablets as I played the opening sequence, when it got the daughter bit I looked behind and they were both sobbing, engrossed in the game. The other night we all sat down to watch the first episode and there were tears again at the same scene even though we knew it was coming.
[close]

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2023, 12:30:40 am »
Love both the games. Excellent games. And the first episode for this was brilliant can't wait to see the coming episodes.

Don't click the Twitter link if you haven't played TLOU2. But a certain upcoming character may have been cast:

https://twitter.com/TheLastofUsNews/status/1616414262091730950

Online GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2023, 12:40:09 am »
I don't see why not playing TLOU2 should stop you clicking the link. The sequel introduces a new character, spoiler alert!!! :D

Online Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 21, 2023, 12:42:03 am »
I don't see why not playing TLOU2 should stop you clicking the link. The sequel introduces a new character, spoiler alert!!! :D

Just in case!

Offline baltic out here

• Would you buy a second hand vinyl off this fella?!
  • Main Stander
« Reply #76 on: January 21, 2023, 10:02:23 am »
Seeing loads of comparisons to Walking Dead here and it is getting a bit of unfair stick for me. The later seasons probably diminished how great the first ones were. I do remember being absolutely gripped for the first five seasons, which is already remarkable as most series tend to manage two great seasons max. From the sixth it started falling off the rails and I think there was one big script mistake they did that started the decline - for the first five seasons Rick et al were always desperate and on the run, no safe place = always tension. Then from the sixth they introduced settlements = loss of tension.
As for Last Of Us
Spoiler
that can't happen if they follow the first game's storyline
[close]

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: January 21, 2023, 11:53:09 am »
I watched it until the end & I'll be watching all the spin offs as well.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #78 on: January 21, 2023, 06:52:39 pm »
Enjoyed the first episode but I’m not sure I understand the amount of acclaim. I think the whole dystopian theme has been done to death too.

It did feel very much like the game in terms of it’s atmosphere. I thought the opening sections pre-pandemic were the strongest parts. Thandie Newton’s daughter was great. I really like Anna Torv too. Not sure about the casting of Ellie. The game character was quite rebellious and I just don’t get that feeling from Bella Ramsey.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #79 on: January 21, 2023, 08:35:10 pm »
Been thinking about the whole ‘done to death’ post apocalyptic thing, and remembering how much of an impact 28 days later made on me when he woke up in the hospital and was walking the empty streets of London. That film was so simple (low budget), but really striking for it’s time. Haven’t seen it for years, wonder if it’s stood up well.