Author Topic: Ancient Apocalypse - steaming pile of horseshit on Netflix  (Read 3248 times)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
Re: Ancient Apocalypse - steaming pile of horseshit on Netflix
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2022, 02:22:31 pm »
it's true though that intelligent life came from another planet - carried on a flaming vessel...

...it was a comet that crashed to the earth containing water and there you go that's the end of all this mythology bullshit

all this conspiracy shite is good for enjoyable throwaway movies - but for serious documentaries? piss off

Are you telling me that “Stargate” (the one with the lad from the ‘Crying Game’) wasn’t a documentary. >:(

Offline Ed-Zeppelin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2022, 02:29:04 pm »
Yep, i read the same book about 30 years ago.  Fingerprints of the Gods i think.

Wow, that takes me back. I enjoyed that as a teenager in the late 90s.

I can’t remember actually buying into any of it but it captured my imagination more in a ‘this would be a good background to a Hollywood movie’ rather than ‘this feels right’.

I saw a summary for this show and it tweaked a similar interest as for teenage me, without making the link to Hancock. As soon as Rogan appeared in the trailer/intro immediately addressing and overlooking the fact that Hancock is widely discredited I removed it from my list. I don’t really have time for that sort of bollocks these days. Have been catching up with Star Wars instead, much more grounded in reality…
"We come here for the winning!"

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2022, 06:00:36 pm »
From the article:

That’s the danger of a show like this. It whispers to the conspiracy theorist in all of us. And Hancock is such a compelling host that he’s bound to create a few more in his wake. Believing that ultra-intelligent creatures helped to build the pyramids is one thing, but where does it end? Believing that election fraud is real? Believing 9/11 was an inside job? Worse? If you were feeling particularly mean-spirited, you could suggest that Netflix knows this, and has gone out of its way to court the conspiracy theorists

That's the problem with this stuff. It normalises conspiracy thinking on a mainstream channel. Of course Netflix can show whatever they want but it's disturbing that they decided to show it nonetheless.

And the same goes for Twitter. Musk can bring back whoever he wants now but the reach of Twitter means right wing, neo-fascist ideas are being promoted in the mainstream. I can leave Twitter of course but that won't stop it having an influence.

Yep this stuff is like a gateway for the conspiracy world. For every vaccine/COVID denier or election denier I meet at least 10 people who believe in Ancient Alien Pyramid theory or that infinite energy/perpetual motion machines exist(and are being surpressed by CIA).

This type of stuff has a thin veneer of legitimacy to user because its put out by Netflix or History channel but is pushing the viewer into believing crazy stuff. Then they start telling everyone about it and no one believes them. This just pushes many of them further down the conspiracy rabbit hole and they start "researching" and hanging out on conspiracy echo chambers.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: December 3, 2022, 03:29:18 pm »
Stefan Milo is great (makes videos about archaeology, anthropology/human evolution
he uses only academic sources)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/341Lv8JLLV4&amp;t=3494s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/341Lv8JLLV4&amp;t=3494s</a>

Offline Skagger

• Main Stander
« Reply #44 on: December 4, 2022, 02:18:33 pm »
Yep this stuff is like a gateway for the conspiracy world. For every vaccine/COVID denier or election denier I meet at least 10 people who believe in Ancient Alien Pyramid theory or that infinite energy/perpetual motion machines exist(and are being surpressed by CIA).

This type of stuff has a thin veneer of legitimacy to user because its put out by Netflix or History channel but is pushing the viewer into believing crazy stuff. Then they start telling everyone about it and no one believes them. This just pushes many of them further down the conspiracy rabbit hole and they start "researching" and hanging out on conspiracy echo chambers.

Lost a good friend down the rabbit hole after he signed up to the streaming service Gaia, started off mostly harmless but became pretty serious once he started ignoring all precautions around covid, as did his partner... a nurse.
Henderson has been very good in patches and if he had the confidence of Shelvey he would be some player.
Shame how it ended, hell of a ride though.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2023, 08:10:16 pm »
I started watching this and i like it so far. I mean in terms of entertainment and seeing some places around the world, not because of historical accuracy because i think that part is bollocks. I saw a piece of interview where this donkey Graham Hancock says that ancient Egyptians could have lifted the blocks with sound lol
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #46 on: January 24, 2023, 09:18:30 pm »
The pictures and location filming are ok but he's a a lying shit and a horrible piece of work. He's mates with Randall Carlson (they regularly do Joe Rogan together) and promote bollocks about 'plasmoids', an idea being promoted by Malcolm Bendall (serial scammer). This is a video called the "Plasmoid Unification Model - The Bendall Turbine". If it sounds incomprehensible that's no surprise. Not because it's beyond anormal person's understanding but because it's fifteen minutes of the insane, meaningless gobbledegook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsPirA-JqLQ

Hancock and his mates are grifters. Selling snake oil or selling books about snake oil. They make the world stupider.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2023, 10:36:35 pm »
I saw a piece of interview where this donkey Graham Hancock says that ancient Egyptians could have lifted the blocks with sound lol

Not many people know but that's where term rock and roll originated.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2023, 12:09:44 am »
The pictures and location filming are ok but he's a a lying shit and a horrible piece of work. He's mates with Randall Carlson (they regularly do Joe Rogan together) and promote bollocks about 'plasmoids', an idea being promoted by Malcolm Bendall (serial scammer). This is a video called the "Plasmoid Unification Model - The Bendall Turbine". If it sounds incomprehensible that's no surprise. Not because it's beyond anormal person's understanding but because it's fifteen minutes of the insane, meaningless gobbledegook.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsPirA-JqLQ

Hancock and his mates are grifters. Selling snake oil or selling books about snake oil. They make the world stupider.

Yeah, what annoys me the most is the amount of support he gets from dumb people. One should know where are the red lines of real history and some entertaining-intrigue-mysterious conspiracy theories. Historians and archeologists spend half of their lives studying and learning. If you want to know real history and archeology you listen to them. When you're sick you go to the doctor, not to some energy healer scammer prick.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2023, 12:10:59 am »
Not many people know but that's where term rock and roll originated.

You have to hit the right notes or else the rock won't fit  ;D

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Online Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2023, 12:01:12 pm »
I saw a piece of interview where this donkey Graham Hancock says that ancient Egyptians could have lifted the blocks with sound lol

This just reminds me of a post, which I believe was on here, where the person opens up with "So we all know the pyramids were built by aliens" and then follows up with the fact he heard all this on the Chris Jericho podcast

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2023, 12:42:39 pm »
Thing that has aleways pissed me off most about shysters like this one is the constant devaluation of effort, skill, knowledge and determination displayed by our ancestors. They'll sooner believe aliens, Atlantis, gods, whofucking ever built the miracles of the ancient world - instead of actually giving credit to those who actually achieved these feats.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2023, 02:09:50 pm »
I saw this the other day. It was great.

I've joined the flat Earth society, bought a monacle and welcome our Lizard overlords which I'm having around for T and V next Tuesday :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Ziltoid

• Grass. See you at next year's panto (oh no you won't!). Carrot-topped Phallic Snowman Extraordinaire.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scrubbers
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2023, 03:33:06 pm »

I've joined the flat Earth society, bought a monacle and welcome our Lizard overlords which I'm having around for T and V next Tuesday :)

Alright Andy, saw you on TV t'other night

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2023, 10:14:38 pm »

You could just have joined one of the religions around the world.

I made the point before, but seriously, what separates this utter bollocks and the grift that accompanies it, from religions?

Nothing at all.

Apart from religion is on a much more vast scale, and is powerful enough to have its fuckwitted adherents run entire countries. Even in supposedly developed and educated nations, its pernicious influence is felt in law-making.

These cocks writing books and making TV shows based on conspiracy bollocks are harmless in comparison.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2023, 11:03:18 pm »

You could just have joined one of the religions around the world.

I made the point before, but seriously, what separates this utter bollocks and the grift that accompanies it, from religions?

Nothing at all.

Apart from religion is on a much more vast scale, and is powerful enough to have its fuckwitted adherents run entire countries. Even in supposedly developed and educated nations, its pernicious influence is felt in law-making.

These cocks writing books and making TV shows based on conspiracy bollocks are harmless in comparison.

Religion had a useful role once upon a time in regulating society and contributing to culture/civilisation. Nowadays their most useful purpose is as history and custom, a reminder of what once was. These modern grifts have never had any useful purpose. They were outdated long before they were invented.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2023, 09:24:20 am »
Religion had a useful role once upon a time in regulating society and contributing to culture/civilisation. Nowadays their most useful purpose is as history and custom, a reminder of what once was. These modern grifts have never had any useful purpose. They were outdated long before they were invented.

:o

Religion was used as a way for the powerful to control the masses through fear. Was the catalyst for oppression of personal freedoms. Was (is!) the justification for persecution of certain groups of people, from women to homosexuals to people who believed in different sky fairies. Has been the driver for some of the most savage and deadly wars and imperialst invasions across history.

It's been an abhorrence throughout time.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2023, 08:46:42 pm »

:o

Religion was used as a way for the powerful to control the masses through fear. Was the catalyst for oppression of personal freedoms. Was (is!) the justification for persecution of certain groups of people, from women to homosexuals to people who believed in different sky fairies. Has been the driver for some of the most savage and deadly wars and imperialst invasions across history.

It's been an abhorrence throughout time.

Do you read everything through the prism of 19th and 20th century left wing writings?
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2023, 11:32:20 pm »
The notion that archaeologists are engaged in some worldwide conspiracy to hide these mythical advanced cultures is hilarious. Archaeologists, and I know a fair few, would absolutely love to discover evidence of an advanced civilisation 6000 years ago. They certainly wouldn’t hide it.

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2023, 03:38:18 am »
The notion that archaeologists are engaged in some worldwide conspiracy to hide these mythical advanced cultures is hilarious. Archaeologists, and I know a fair few, would absolutely love to discover evidence of an advanced civilisation 6000 years ago. They certainly wouldn’t hide it.

All the locations/sites in this show are discovered by archeologists - "mainstream" archeologists. Hancock is able to talking shit thanks to them.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 27, 2023, 06:12:26 pm »

To paraphrase something I heard on a podcast this week (might have been Rutherford and Fry talking about Ancient Apocalypse). What do they imagine scientists (and archeologists) do all day? Sit around discussing how to maintain the status quo? Divise experiments designed not to show any new results and spend months writing papers that regurgitate exactly the same ideas?

Hancock's lunatic argument would require thousands of archeologists working across the globe to deliberately not uncover anything new.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2023, 06:56:39 pm »
To paraphrase something I heard on a podcast this week (might have been Rutherford and Fry talking about Ancient Apocalypse). What do they imagine scientists (and archeologists) do all day? Sit around discussing how to maintain the status quo? Divise experiments designed not to show any new results and spend months writing papers that regurgitate exactly the same ideas?

Hancock's lunatic argument would require thousands of archeologists working across the globe to deliberately not uncover anything new.

Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Status Quo...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 27, 2023, 08:05:01 pm »

Thick prick could have studied history and archeology all these years, if he's so passionate about it. I wonder why he never did? My guess is that he was afraid that his views would change. Reality would have slapped him in the face and wake him up. As someone who is very interested in "mainstream" archeology, i can say that the real thing isn't very romantic and poetic.

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2023, 08:44:16 am »

Precisely. I have a friend who is very well educated and intelligent but believes the moon landings were faked. I’ve tried reasoning that half a million people worked on the Apollo missions in some regard. He finds it plausible that they all kept the secret. As a photographer, I’m professionally qualified to debunk some of the ‘evidence’ such as the lack of stars, but he still clings to that evidence.

I also know two GPs who are covid vaccine sceptics (although they still administered it).

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2023, 11:05:35 am »
Precisely. I have a friend who is very well educated and intelligent but believes the moon landings were faked. I’ve tried reasoning that half a million people worked on the Apollo missions in some regard. He finds it plausible that they all kept the secret. As a photographer, I’m professionally qualified to debunk some of the ‘evidence’ such as the lack of stars, but he still clings to that evidence.

I also know two GPs who are covid vaccine sceptics (although they still administered it).

As an aside - have you got the Apollo photo book? Amazing images.

Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #66 on: February 1, 2023, 05:21:55 pm »
So, having watched only the trailer for this steaming pule of horseshit, and reading this thread thoroughly, I was delighted to see 'Cunk on Earth' - okay, she's a bit irritating but I remember her well from Charlie Brooker's annual reviews (and later on 'Death to [year]' series).

There are a few facepalm moments but also plenty of genuine laugh-out-aloud moments too. I love how all the SMEs in it appear to be in on the joke and are going with - so it's not an Ali G format.......

Also, it seems like a fabulous fucking pisstake of the steaming pile of horseshit which is also on Netflix.

:wave

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: February 2, 2023, 07:53:32 pm »
As an aside - have you got the Apollo photo book? Amazing images.

I have two photo books! One on Apollo 11 and the other on the apollo program. They’re absolutely stunning. And, what’s more, taken by amateurs!