Author Topic: Liverpool hum  (Read 2020 times)

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Liverpool hum
« on: December 13, 2021, 11:28:21 pm »
After nearly 30 years of being with my missus, today she said "What's that weird sound"

I said "What weird sound"

She said "Like a hum that kind of goes up and down and is kind of background, but fairly loud"

I said "Wow. So after 30 years NOW you can hear it?"

She said that she couldn't believe how loud it was and it's been like that for years for me. Constant. Day and night. Every day. Every night. In the end you kind of get used to it, but there are loads of people that can hear it all the time, loads that hear it now and then and loads that have never heard it and probably never will.

Anyone here hear it constantly/ever?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool hum
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2021, 09:02:25 am »
Interesting. Sometimes I think I can hear something, other times not - not that I'm actively listening for it. I have tinnitus though, so maybe that distracts me a bit.

It's certainly not a new phenomenon. From the little I've heard, people all over the world experience something similar. It seems to be Wrstern/city living issue; probably comes from living in a world of electrical fields, devices, power generation etc?

It can become very distressing for some people.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2021, 10:31:17 am »
One of my mates has said the same thing for the last 20 odd years and I can't say I've ever heard it. Having said that, I only lived in the City proper until I was about 9, but I've never heard anything similar when visiting friends or family and I work in town and don't really pick up on it.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 10:41:43 am »
One of my mates has said the same thing for the last 20 odd years and I can't say I've ever heard it. Having said that, I only lived in the City proper until I was about 9, but I've never heard anything similar when visiting friends or family and I work in town and don't really pick up on it.

If there is any sound at all then it blocks the sound, but sometimes you can still feel the vibration in the air.

When I leave Liverpool and go somewhere else, it stops.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 10:42:06 am »
Interesting. Sometimes I think I can hear something, other times not - not that I'm actively listening for it. I have tinnitus though, so maybe that distracts me a bit.

It's certainly not a new phenomenon. From the little I've heard, people all over the world experience something similar. It seems to be Wrstern/city living issue; probably comes from living in a world of electrical fields, devices, power generation etc?

It can become very distressing for some people.

Yeah does seem to be quite widespread

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 11:01:03 am »
Yeah, it's a very weird phenomenon. Some people hear it, others don't. They go somewhere else, and the noise goes away, but perhaps someone in that different place can hear something?

It's definitely a by product of living in a technological society. I've heard stories of people crawling around their homes putting their ears to plug sockets, trying to figure out where it's coming from.

Popcorn's Art

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 03:56:26 pm »
It's called tinnitus mate.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 04:22:58 pm »

It's not mate.  I have tinnitus and I know the difference between that and the hum. Tinnitus doesn't come and go depending on where you are, although if you're surrounded by other sounds it can be less noticeable.

You can get tested for tinnitus though, so it's not a bad shout to rule it out.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 06:27:57 pm »

So I have tinnitus and I only get it while I'm in Liverpool?

Offline Spongebob Redpants

• Is a spingly spangly
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 06:31:57 pm »
So I have tinnitus and I only get it while I'm in Liverpool?

That's correct - It's called Selective Tinnitus Syndrome ( STS ).

I just made that up !
Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes. Then, when you do criticise him, you're a mile away and you have his shoes.

Offline ABZ Rover

• Legacy Fan
  • Hates Poodles
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2021, 01:47:36 pm »
That's correct - It's called Selective Tinnitus Syndrome ( STS ).

I just made that up !

Selective High Intensity Tinnitus Syndrome to give it its full medical terminology.
97 stars burning bright, forever watching over day or night

12/09/12 Truth Day!   Justice Day is coming... it arrived 26/04/16!