Author Topic: The Handmaid's Tale (2017 adaptation)  (Read 18541 times)

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
Re: The Handmaid's Tale (2017 adaptation)
« Reply #120 on: August 27, 2020, 12:32:58 pm »
Loved 1 & 2, thought 3 was so so, but will def give 4 a watch and hope for the best.

I just think there's loads they can do with it. I would like to see more of Gilead, Some flashbacks to the actual war would be good or show the current fighting with the resistance, Also how the other countries are dealing with it, We saw a bit from Mexican officials and Canada but what about Europe, Asia etc.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #121 on: March 3, 2021, 03:00:26 am »

'The Handmaid's Tale: Season 4 Teaser • A Hulu Original' (starts Wednesday 28th April in the US):-

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pmcWPOH4Yqw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pmcWPOH4Yqw</a>

https://twitter.com/HandmaidsOnHulu
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: March 3, 2021, 05:44:06 pm »
Oh my, that looks promising.

Might have to watch a few of the last few episodes of the last season in time for this.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline shetty5

• Main Stander
  • Its alright, im usually wrong too
« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2021, 12:52:14 am »
Just watched the end of series 3. I thought it was the best so far. Fantastic stuff and I can't wait for season 4. June is boss!

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #124 on: April 28, 2021, 02:54:03 pm »
Season 4 started today! First 3 episodes are up in all the normal places!

Still utterly depressing of course but still brilliant  ;D

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2021, 08:25:14 am »
Looking forward to this and made up to find I have access to it.

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2021, 04:38:22 pm »
Season 4 started today! First 3 episodes are up in all the normal places!

Still utterly depressing of course but still brilliant  ;D
Could someone PM me a link or a website? I’m only on S2 but to keep the girlfriend happy for a few hours over the weekend this would be helpful!
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #127 on: May 2, 2021, 07:38:27 am »
This is great so far. Way better than S3. Who’s the father though? That was a surprise

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #128 on: May 2, 2021, 04:19:34 pm »
My wife loves this and is always telling me to watch it.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: May 4, 2021, 05:15:34 pm »
Watched the early  season 4 episodes last night, what a strong start so far.

Interesting how Texas is a Country now, just had a quick read on it and Louisiana and New Mexico are part of Texas as well.

They really should do a spin off season of the insurgency in Chicago.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #130 on: May 4, 2021, 06:22:37 pm »

They really should do a spin off season of the insurgency in Chicago.

I really want a prequel about the war. Is it explained more in the books?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #131 on: May 5, 2021, 12:03:19 pm »
I really want a prequel about the war. Is it explained more in the books?

Not really well but there's some bits filled in. Conceit of the books is that archeologists way into the future of all of the events have found mix tapes which have got bits of 'the handmaid' talking about her life interspersed among the songs and this is all being presented by a historian, with some context about Gilead, at a couple of conferences. With Atwood's involvement in things, it's fair to say that everything after series 1 (which covers the original book) is canon and as explained as it's got so far.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: May 9, 2021, 11:43:55 pm »
My wife loves this and is always telling me to watch it.

My wife is still into it so I go along with it (we watched Dirty Harry and Blade Runner the past few weeks so I get plenty of say here), but I really, really despise the show now. Good first season, but I am fed up with the relentlessly slow pace and dour, expressionless characters (oh great, Nick is back, wake me when his scene is over). And Liz Moss is just a caricature now... oh look, her eye is twitching again. ACTING!!! The new Pacino.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #133 on: May 11, 2021, 01:14:43 pm »
Just finished Season 3...in time for Season 4.

Thoughts

Spoiler
- I enjoy the premise that women will fight back against misogyny and suppression; although I think the feminist ‘tract’ is a little on the nose. It’s laid on with a trowel at times. I guess this is understandable but can be a little obvious. That said, June is a really well devised character played brilliantly by Moss.
- The theocracy is a fascinating angle for a dictatorship - the medieval torture and executions are gratuitous and horrific which is extremely entertaining. That said, the main proponents of Gilead don’t appear to be complete religious zealots in the way they conduct themselves. I know this is a mirror up to dogmatic religion that is impossible to live up to due to human imperfection. I just think the Waterfords etc would be even more conservative in their approach if they were behind this extremely cruel regime.
- Aunt Lydia is a great villain - superbly played. More backstory stuff of other characters would be great.
- Very good series - you just have to wade through some of the slow bit at times.

[close]

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: May 14, 2021, 11:11:35 pm »
I do fear it's descended a little bit into the territory of...

Spoiler
myopia and every twist being pure coincidence. There's a continental war and every decision and consequence happens to the same 5 people.
[close]

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #135 on: May 15, 2021, 08:54:55 pm »
I do fear it's descended a little bit into the territory of...

Spoiler
myopia and every twist being pure coincidence. There's a continental war and every decision and consequence happens to the same 5 people.
[close]

Spoiler
I do know what you mean - the Handmaid universe is a little remote and small for my liking. All happening down the one street...
[close]

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #136 on: June 16, 2021, 11:35:53 pm »

Spoiler for the last episode of Season 4 (for those who have been watching it in the US or via other means):-

Spoiler
Nice touch and call-back with the red graffiti at the end there
[close]

Quality season. Can't wait to see where they are going to for Season 5...

The Handmaid’s Tale season four will debut in the UK on Channel 4 on Sunday 20th June at 9pm - www.radiotimes.com/tv/drama/the-handmaids-tale-season-4-release
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 11:37:39 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #137 on: June 21, 2021, 11:44:50 pm »
Wow what a season finale that was.

Fantastic.

Great touch with the Latin quote from season 1.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #138 on: October 25, 2022, 10:24:49 pm »
Already filled my bingo card on June crying to Radiohead instrumentals.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: October 26, 2022, 01:56:30 pm »
I feel like June is finished now - whether she gets Hannah back or not, she is simply broken as you would be if you had gone through what she has.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: November 1, 2022, 08:28:49 pm »
Good episode 2. The ending was a big fuck you from Serena.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #141 on: December 13, 2022, 05:49:18 pm »
Enjoying the geopolitics.

Spoiler
However, I can't stand June any more. Are we meant to hate her by now? Why has nobody in the US government in exile told her to wind her neck in and that they have slightly more important matters at hand than her moaning? I've never thought her and Luke had any chemistry but the shit he has to put up with off her - and Moira and Rita
[close]

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #142 on: December 13, 2022, 05:54:24 pm »
Up to episode 4, it's been a strong start to this season.

Season 4 was terribly dull and the weakest one so far, it started strong then got boring then ended with a bang.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2022, 06:02:59 pm »

It’s really not very good anymore but I’m pot committed so will finish it. Beyond ridiculous how many times June has gone in and out of Gilead.

I do enjoy Commander Lawrence. He should get his own spin-off.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2022, 06:17:05 pm »
Enjoying the geopolitics.

Spoiler
However, I can't stand June any more. Are we meant to hate her by now? Why has nobody in the US government in exile told her to wind her neck in and that they have slightly more important matters at hand than her moaning? I've never thought her and Luke had any chemistry but the shit he has to put up with off her - and Moira and Rita
[close]

Spoiler
Oh I know, she's doing my head in this season. I want to feel sympathy for her but she's making it hard! Enjoying this new season otherwise though.
[close]
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #145 on: December 14, 2022, 12:09:13 am »
Is this true to the book? whch i have read

i've seen downloads for it for ages but swerved it so far, wondering if it's just another book they've fucked with
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #146 on: December 14, 2022, 08:41:47 am »
Is this true to the book? whch i have read

i've seen downloads for it for ages but swerved it so far, wondering if it's just another book they've fucked with

The original book covers just the first season and it was a fairly faithful representation. Then when it was a success they decided to make stuff up. It’s not all been terrible but the idea that Gilead is this terrible place but June can wander around willy-nilly and never just get shot is a bit daft.

Atwood did write a second book (the Testaments) fairly recently but it’s not really related to the other tv series.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #147 on: December 14, 2022, 08:23:00 pm »
thanks mate, might give the first season a go
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #148 on: December 21, 2022, 09:43:10 am »
The finale went out on C4 on Monday.

It was pretty good, looking forward to S5 off the back of it, but...

Spoiler
So much was packed in. The season was so poorly paced - half the stuff in the finale could have played out more evenly over the final few episodes.

Luke realised he'd rather be in Canadian jail (which I presume is like Butlins?) than put up with her shit any longer.

I'd be pissed off were I Canadian - nation of murderous bigots who hate the Yanks, according to this. Maybe that's true, I've never been, but it doesn't fit their international reputation.

I maintain: I want a spin-off focussed purely on the war and geopolitics. I want to see the UN fallout of the air raid, the financial collapse around the world when the US goes into civil war. They say Hawaii is still part of the rump USA, but China must have eyes on it. When they casually mentioned North Korea sending them congratulations... Basically The Man In The High Castle but without the MacGuffins.
[close]

Online Jean Girard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #149 on: December 21, 2022, 10:00:01 am »
Have to say I finally ditched it halfway through this series. Diminishing returns, gotten really boring. Loads of good characters completely sidelined. 
And now, the matador shall dance with the blind shoemaker!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #150 on: December 29, 2022, 06:51:07 pm »
Will the next series just be June and Serena living in a flatshare in their pjs while Luke gets pummeled to shit?

Online Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2022, 02:39:07 pm »
Will the next series just be June and Serena living in a flatshare in their pjs while Luke gets pummeled to shit?

Hopefully because he really annoyed me.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #152 on: January 3, 2023, 04:59:25 pm »
This show reminds me of the Walking Dead in that they are clearly dragging it out and it is long past its best. I will keep watching the final season, like with others the missus loves it, but its more of a job than enjoyment. The producers are also clearly cheap as fuck. The Americans' new command bunker is in a high school assembly hall?

Offline stewil007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2023, 03:20:34 pm »
I watched it because i was committed to it, but after season 3, i just couldn't get past the fact June was responsible for untold number of people dying, she would surely have been strung up at least 5 times for being such a dick and how everyone gave her everything she wanted.

'This is a top secret military exercise, no you cant come in'
'But i gave you the intel'

Then, no hesitation

'Ok, do you want a coke while youre watching the strike'

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2023, 11:12:47 am »
Just finished this too. Reality is, it was fantastic for first 2 seasons, then it was a bit too far fetched. The whole concept is really.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #155 on: February 5, 2023, 12:44:24 am »
6 years late to the party but just started series 1 this weekend and watched the first 3 eps

Oh my days.  To say this show is unsettling would be a massive understatement.

I had to google the recap of E3, just to try and convince myself I had it wrong.  Unfortunately, I read it correctly.  Jaw dropping.

That said and despite its subject matter.  It's beautifully casted and acted.  Looks great with a cracking script too.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #156 on: February 5, 2023, 06:57:46 am »
Nice one, I'd forgotten what an early impact it had. My advice is to quit after s1 and remember the good (dystopian nightmare) times.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #157 on: February 5, 2023, 09:08:47 am »
I watched the first episode of season 5 and binned it. Can't deal with anymore close up of June's face. She's gone from being one of the great heroines of TV to one of the most annoying and irrational people.  Almost made me root for Gilead. Shame it's fallen apart.

Online Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #158 on: February 5, 2023, 09:43:00 am »
Nice one, I'd forgotten what an early impact it had. My advice is to quit after s1 and remember the good (dystopian nightmare) times.

Must admit, when I saw there were 5 series (seasons) it did ring alarm bells.

Will do the first few series and make a decision from there.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #159 on: February 5, 2023, 10:46:15 am »
Must admit, when I saw there were 5 series (seasons) it did ring alarm bells.

Will do the first few series and make a decision from there.

Tailed off a bit in S5, but good up until then. There are a lot worse series out there!