Author Topic: Roberto Firmino  (Read 2007426 times)

Offline robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
Re: Roberto Firmino
« Reply #15280 on: January 27, 2023, 10:11:04 am »
Will be out for another couple of weeks. Who's the fella who said he'd be back for boxing day fixture?  ;D
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15281 on: January 27, 2023, 10:21:42 am »
Heading for 2 months out then and has to get through our training on his return or it'll be longer. 25 games missed last season.

Let's renew his contract as a reliable back up option  :D

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15282 on: January 27, 2023, 10:23:36 am »
Easy decision not to renew. We've got Salah, Nunez, Diaz, Jota and Gakpo with Elliott, Carvalho and Doak as back up for the front three. I'd rather spend what would probably be a fraction of the money on reviewing and fixing our training and fitness methods so the players aren't getting injured so often.

Offline Xanderzone

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15283 on: January 27, 2023, 10:53:21 am »
One year deal with the option of another year would be fine, even if I don't agree with it really.

A long term contract would be insanity but then we do have form in giving out unmerited contracts to players.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15284 on: January 27, 2023, 09:39:00 pm »
Shouldnt be renewed. Mad if we do. Injured a lot now.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #15285 on: January 27, 2023, 09:42:44 pm »
Heading for 2 months out then and has to get through our training on his return or it'll be longer. 25 games missed last season.

Let's renew his contract as a reliable back up option  :D

He can't be first pick playing as many games as he was asked to. Being a back up should see him be less injury prone.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15286 on: January 27, 2023, 09:46:19 pm »
He can't be first pick playing as many games as he was asked to. Being a back up should see him be less injury prone.

He got injured in training didnt he?

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15287 on: January 27, 2023, 09:49:20 pm »

You're right about him being a backup. He'll be 6th choice. He might struggle to get on the bench.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #15288 on: January 27, 2023, 09:54:49 pm »
Maybe so, but that's not a reason to throw good money after bad. We've made a series of bizarre contractual decisions in the past few years but we should be looking to break the cycle, not perpetuate it. Particularly since these things do not exist in a vacuum. The antidote to renewing too many old players is not to.. renew even more old players.

Ultimately:
- We have an enormous wage bill that does not remotely correlate with our level on the pitch, and which is directly impacting upon our ability to refresh the squad
- We have one of the oldest, slowest and least athletic squads in the league
- We have already renewed a large number of players in the same age bracket who are past their best (which is not to say they are *finished*, but they are demonstrably below their peak level), for the most part on enormous wages relative to their current on-pitch level (Salah, Henderson, Fabinho, VVD)
- We have a pretty bloated squad full of injury-prone players (some of these will leave soon)

Bobby is a bonafide legend. But he's also 31, has lost the vast majority of any athleticism he once had (meaning he struggles to press anywhere near as effectively as he used to), is one of our highest paid players, has declined significantly from his peak, and has started to pick up a shitload of injuries. 35 games missed (and counting) since the start of last season - with at least 5 different injuries - if you were keeping tally by the way. Keita has a better injury record over the last 18 months and he missed the entire first half of this season... Keeping injury prone players around for squad depth is a false economy, because they're never actually available when you need them. Like now, for instance.

He basically ticks every negative box on the "caution re: renewing players over 30" checklist. Does he still have a lot to offer the right team? Totally. If we kept him, would he contribute next season? I'm sure he would, to some extent. Does that mean it makes sense, financially or from a squad perspective? God no.

Good post.
Yup the mentality has to change
It’s not transition if you don’t move on from post peak players

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15289 on: January 27, 2023, 09:56:55 pm »
Good post.
Yup the mentality has to change
It’s not transition if you don’t move on from post peak players

What I dont get is this idea that its fine to have him when you have loads of other younger attackers. He still takes a place in the squad, he still costs a relatively big amount of wages. Then when there is a discussion around where the money is, you have people saying we invested it in wages.

No shit.

Offline nerdster4

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15290 on: January 28, 2023, 12:08:16 am »
I don’t think we should keep him , but we are more suited to his type than a proper 9. Nunez Salah Gakpo diaz and Jota all very useful from wide positions and our ageing midfield needs a pressing monster false 9 who is good at link up play .

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15291 on: January 28, 2023, 12:15:49 am »
There's a reason why clubs have held onto and in some cases even bought the more skilful and experienced older players and it has fuck all about sentiment or blind loyalty.

He's going to bring the young'uns on no end and I'd bet my left bollock that he'll score many a winner coming off the bench.

My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline smurfinaus

• Legacy Fan
  • Hi Ho Hi Ho its off to <insert location> we go :P
« Reply #15292 on: January 28, 2023, 02:00:00 am »
How long was he originally estimated to be out for?. Would have thought its something serious if he still isnt back...

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15293 on: January 28, 2023, 02:43:16 am »
His Instagram is like Christian TV lately
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #15294 on: January 28, 2023, 03:01:10 am »

And?

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #15295 on: January 28, 2023, 03:04:10 am »
I can understand the logic in giving him an extension of a year and also of releasing him on a free. You release him on a free and and you free up some wages. If you keep him for another year you have experience in back and you also have someone in training to pass on their experience to the younger players. I’m fine with whatever the club wants to do.

Offline capt k

• aaaaaaaavemaaaaaaaaan!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • id rather be fishing
« Reply #15296 on: January 28, 2023, 05:39:39 am »
was he asking for donations so he can buy a helicopter??
JFT 96

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #15297 on: January 28, 2023, 06:36:51 am »
I can understand the logic in giving him an extension of a year and also of releasing him on a free. You release him on a free and and you free up some wages. If you keep him for another year you have experience in back and you also have someone in training to pass on their experience to the younger players. I’m fine with whatever the club wants to do.
It's a tricky one. We have several players with vast experience, the same argument can be made for all. We could be spending half a million a week on players to share their experience.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #15298 on: January 28, 2023, 06:52:06 am »
With Bobby either decision can make sense for me. If he stays, we'll have a reliable experience option, especially for cup games or as a sub who can make something happen. If he goes, he'd free up a good chunk of the wage bill and open minutes for a younger lads like Doak or Gordon or Kone-Doherty to get a crack. Either way the risk is low the way I see it because we are now well stocked and just need to have patience as the newer lads build the understanding and link up play in our system. That is not something that will happen overnight.

Online Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #15299 on: January 28, 2023, 11:37:24 am »
Maybe so, but that's not a reason to throw good money after bad. We've made a series of bizarre contractual decisions in the past few years but we should be looking to break the cycle, not perpetuate it. Particularly since these things do not exist in a vacuum. The antidote to renewing too many old players is not to.. renew even more old players.

Ultimately:
- We have an enormous wage bill that does not remotely correlate with our level on the pitch, and which is directly impacting upon our ability to refresh the squad
- We have one of the oldest, slowest and least athletic squads in the league
- We have already renewed a large number of players in the same age bracket who are past their best (which is not to say they are *finished*, but they are demonstrably below their peak level), for the most part on enormous wages relative to their current on-pitch level (Salah, Henderson, Fabinho, VVD)
- We have a pretty bloated squad full of injury-prone players (some of these will leave soon)

Bobby is a bonafide legend. But he's also 31, has lost the vast majority of any athleticism he once had (meaning he struggles to press anywhere near as effectively as he used to), is one of our highest paid players, has declined significantly from his peak, and has started to pick up a shitload of injuries. 35 games missed (and counting) since the start of last season - with at least 5 different injuries - if you were keeping tally by the way. Keita has a better injury record over the last 18 months and he missed the entire first half of this season... Keeping injury prone players around for squad depth is a false economy, because they're never actually available when you need them. Like now, for instance.

He basically ticks every negative box on the "caution re: renewing players over 30" checklist. Does he still have a lot to offer the right team? Totally. If we kept him, would he contribute next season? I'm sure he would, to some extent. Does that mean it makes sense, financially or from a squad perspective? God no.
Excellent post.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15300 on: January 28, 2023, 04:18:15 pm »

:lmao :wellin
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15301 on: January 28, 2023, 05:48:34 pm »
“He basically ticks every negative box on the "caution re: renewing players over 30" checklist. Does he still have a lot to offer the right team? Totally. If we kept him, would he contribute next season? I'm sure he would, to some extent. Does that mean it makes sense, financially or from a squad perspective? God no.“

This. He’s a legend and will leave with his head held high but it’s time to go.

Of course he will still be capable of the odd purple patch or stunning moment but he can’t contribute at the highest level for 40 games a season. He should probably have been moved on in the summer. We can’t keep clinging to Klopp’s first great team. We need to focus on building his second great team.

We could do with the foreign player spot and the 100k+ a week in wages.
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15302 on: January 28, 2023, 07:04:09 pm »

;D
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• King of the Trabbies. Major Mod Thruster.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15303 on: January 30, 2023, 05:37:35 pm »
I know that RB is 31 years old - seems to be a wonderful human being - lovely smile and contributed to some of the clubs best moments. sadly now - a bit injuries and lost a bit of his pace (although pace not primary asset). He is set for life

The club does not owe him anything; lowball him on a one year contract and tell his agent to fuck off

I thought you were american ?

Speaking about contracts; 2,5 months since most recent league match - enough said
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #15304 on: February 1, 2023, 08:48:28 pm »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15305 on: February 1, 2023, 08:53:10 pm »
Big mistake really. At some point we need to move on and start a proper rebuild.

Offline Caston

• Castoff, Knitone, Purlone
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15306 on: February 1, 2023, 09:01:06 pm »
Hmm not sure about this one.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15307 on: February 1, 2023, 09:01:56 pm »
I hope it is agent talk. if not and if he gets a new contract being injuried - beggars belief.. we are skint
It’s not even about individuality, it’s about the team. Our game was based on his controlling of the tempo. Squeeze the life out of the opposition and then strike. That is our game. Like a pack of pythons.

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #15308 on: February 1, 2023, 09:12:34 pm »
I hope it is agent talk. if not and if he gets a new contract being injuried - beggars belief.. we are skint
Nonsense….

A sixth choice striker who is a top top professional and who sets the level in training ? No brainer on a shorter term deal.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Motty

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15309 on: February 1, 2023, 09:13:24 pm »
He can still contribute as a back up so not that against it but think ideally he should just be allowed to leave as he's getting more and more injured with each passing year. Maybe playing less will mean he'll be more available for us.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #15310 on: February 1, 2023, 09:13:32 pm »
Nonsense….

A sixth choice striker who is a top top professional and who sets the level in training ? No brainer on a shorter term deal.

What good has this level setting done us this season?
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15311 on: February 1, 2023, 09:15:00 pm »
Good for 10 goals a season.
Good enough for me.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15312 on: February 1, 2023, 09:16:45 pm »
You can imagine those model pro's like Thiago, Van Dijk, Mo Salah etc refusing to train if Bobby wasn't there "setting the level in training".

Online Wool

• eBack
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15313 on: February 1, 2023, 09:20:43 pm »
Ludicrous decision and further evidence of how terrible our decision making has become.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15314 on: February 1, 2023, 09:22:01 pm »
Nonsense….

Sets the level in a training  sixth choice striker and beiing injuried for 2-3 months.. are you serious ?

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15315 on: February 1, 2023, 09:23:45 pm »
He can still contribute as a back up so not that against it but think ideally he should just be allowed to leave as he's getting more and more injured with each passing year. Maybe playing less will mean he'll be more available for us.

he is carrying a injury and lost his pace. i love him but its time to say goodbye.. just a reflection on how bad we are in

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15316 on: February 1, 2023, 09:26:40 pm »
If it’s a cheaper and affordable contract short term, it’s fine.  It’s not like the savings would be so immense in that case.
King Kenny.

Offline Johnny Foreigner

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15317 on: February 1, 2023, 09:27:50 pm »
Good for 10 goals a season.
Good enough for me.

he scored 12 goals in 2018/2019 when he played 34 games.. he scored 5 in 20 last season. he hasnt played since november but lets give him a new contract - moneyball in reverse

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15318 on: February 1, 2023, 09:33:29 pm »
he scored 12 goals in 2018/2019 when he played 34 games.. he scored 5 in 20 last season. he hasnt played since november but lets give him a new contract - moneyball in reverse

You're Joe Goldberg  and I claim my tenner.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #15319 on: February 1, 2023, 09:34:36 pm »
Why on earth are we offering him a new contract? This should have been his final season with us and let him go to Italy or Spain at the end of the season. He missed 26 games with injuries last season and has already missed a big chunk this season but yep let’s give another one of our aging player a new contract. We’re in an absolute and utter mess