Author Topic: Re: Liverpool Women FC (home vs City - 30/03 - 12:30 ko) (*)  (Read 592617 times)

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Stengel's xray was fine, she just needs the standard fitness assessment ahead of the weekend.

Hopefully she gets at least some game time, just so we can have another 90 minute shooting drill with her as part of it. It would be nice if we could get a little closer to the point at which the goals are happening again, and before the must win matches come along.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/katie-stengel-injury-update

Offline LeoT

• ayer - makes me feel like daaaancin'...... Is now officially a wannabeliever......
  • Anny Roader
  • My cup is barely even half empty
Stengel's xray was fine, she just needs the standard fitness assessment ahead of the weekend.

Hopefully she gets at least some game time, just so we can have another 90 minute shooting drill with her as part of it. It would be nice if we could get a little closer to the point at which the goals are happening again, and before the must win matches come along.

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/katie-stengel-injury-update

I hope Stengel is wrapped up in cotton wool on Sunday.
Hope she misses the team bus, so sits at home with her feet up, holding a warm cup of  cocoa, whilst watching Songs of Praise.    ;D

Otherwise I'm going to be sooooo nervous every time she goes near the ball :-)
My cup is barely even half empty

Offline kellan

• Inventor of the most evil 'Stepping On Lego' curse. Cross her at your peril! Icelandic Pleasuredrone and a truly, unruly yet outrageous gem.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan

I hope Stengel is wrapped up in cotton wool on Sunday.
Hope she misses the team bus, so sits at home with her feet up, holding a warm cup of  cocoa, whilst watching Songs of Praise.    ;D

Otherwise I'm going to be sooooo nervous every time she goes near the ball :-)
Well when you put it like that......

Offline LeoT

• ayer - makes me feel like daaaancin'...... Is now officially a wannabeliever......
  • Anny Roader
Well when you put it like that......

...now I've got that image stuck in my mind, (but with pink dressing gown, slippers, and hair curlers).

;D ;D ;D

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
...now I've got that image stuck in my mind, (but with pink dressing gown, slippers, and hair curlers).

;D ;D ;D
Not really kellan's style, that, Leo mate, but whatever makes you happy :wave

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
Not really kellan's style, that, Leo mate, but whatever makes you happy :wave

The training photos are out, looks like Stengel is ok (Sadly there's no sign of a dressing gown or slippers).

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/photos-lfc-women-gear-cup-meeting-chelsea
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 10:01:52 pm by LeoT »

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
Superb that, cheers Leo!

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
The training photos are out, looks like Stengel is ok (Sadly there's no sign of a dressing gown or slippers).

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/photos-lfc-women-gear-cup-meeting-chelsea
van de Sanden's knee heavily strapped. She isn't involved today, so that's two matches missed now. I don't really understand what has happened here. Beard said she picked up the issue in the warm up vs Chelsea (blaming it on the state of the frozen pitch) but she then started that match?? She hasn't been fit enough to start any since. But is at least in training, I guess.

There's no Taylor in the photos. She isn't in the team today.

There is one photo of Roberts but it's hard to tell if she was actually training or just hovering around. She isn't back in the team either way.

Neither is Kiernan - who posted a lovely little photo of herself on her instagram with her foot back in a boot. To use her own words, 'a little setback' is what has happened. Brilliant news.

Leo might have been right about leaving Stengel in her slippers for the afternoon.

This is how we are lining up:

Laws, Koivisto, Fahey, Matthews, Campbell, Kearns, Holland, Nagano, Lawley. Daniels, Stengel
subs: Kirby, Cumings, Bonner, Robe, Silcock, Hinds, Humphrey, Lundgaard, Furness

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
The match is on the Chelsea website (I think only for those in the UK). Registration obviously required. It hasn't asked me for any money yet so I'm assuming it's free.

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/match/chelsea-women-vs-liverpool-women-womens-fa-cup-2023-01-29

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad

'Chelsea vs Liverpool Women | Women's FA Cup 29-01-2023' - 10 minute highlights...

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ScEBVBpqLBs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ScEBVBpqLBs</a>

^ or click here to watch - www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScEBVBpqLBs
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
I thought we gave a better account of ourselves today. Didn't win of course, but having a bit of fight in us and not needing to rely on Stengel to get either goal are surely two things that will make the next matches feel perfectly winnable. Doesn't appear that we've picked up any injuries either.

It's not all good news on that front sadly. Beard has said post-match that van de Sanden might be out for two months. So I'm guessing that, plus the Kiernan setback, is what has finally pushed us to go shopping for the forward we might not otherwise have signed. The window closes on Tuesday. We'll do well to pull anything off if we're starting from scratch.

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
It was the result I kinda expected if to be honest.

I thought we were totally outplayed first half, but we played quite well 2nd half and made a load more chances.
I was sat near the Liverpool bench, and gasped when Stengel took a knock in the run up to Chelsea's first goal, in fact I was more concerned about Stengel hopping than I was about us conceding.

I though all of our players were much better today than we'd been in recent matches
Special mention of Nagano, she was really, really good today.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
It was the result I kinda expected if to be honest.
I didn't think we'd win, so I'm with you on the result being expected. The unexpected bit for me is that we scored two more goals than I thought we would.

The timing of Chelsea's third was really unfortunate. We make a defensive change, they've got the ball in the back of the net a minute later. But we did still get another goal of our own after that, despite having gone 3-1 down, and I can't not be happy with us still trying to get something from the game. Given we made it 3-2 in the 85th minute, there unfortunately probably wasn't the time left for the 'something got' to be anything but drawing 3-3 when the ref blew up. And chances are that even if Chelsea's third goal hadn't happened, we would have ended up with 2-2 after 90 minutes. There are no replays. As much as I would have liked to progress, if offered the chance, it wouldn't have been an easy choice to take it at the expense of playing ET when looking ahead to our upcoming fixtures. I'd have been watching through my fingers praying everyone was still in one piece at the end of it.

Speaking of ET and upcoming fixtures... Leicester and Reading were playing each other yesterday. It finished 2-2 and needed a shootout (which Reading won 2-3). Reading have a full week to recover from the extra running, but still I'm going to tell myself it's an advantage to us anyway.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Emma Sanders has confirmed we're looking for a forward, not that it wasn't already known. Doesn't look like we're going to get clear runs at anybody though because she also says Reading, West Ham, Arsenal and Brighton are still after attacking players. With the exception of maybe Arsenal, we may well be in direction competition with the rest. Though it was said that we beat West Ham to Miri Taylor, so let's hope we're seen as the most attractive of the bunch in the eyes of anyone else we speak to between now and tomorrow night.

https://twitter.com/em_sandy/status/1620016700048678913

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
Emma Sanders has confirmed we're looking for a forward, not that it wasn't already known. Doesn't look like we're going to get clear runs at anybody though because she also says Reading, West Ham, Arsenal and Brighton are still after attacking players. With the exception of maybe Arsenal, we may well be in direction competition with the rest. Though it was said that we beat West Ham to Miri Taylor, so let's hope we're seen as the most attractive of the bunch in the eyes of anyone else we speak to between now and tomorrow night.

https://twitter.com/em_sandy/status/1620016700048678913

I didn't notice Miri Taylor or Razza Roberts in the dugouts yesterday, though Van Der Sanden was there.
Does anyone know if Miri is injured or something like that?

I ask because I seem to remember reading somewhere that Miri sometimes played as a central striker at her old club.

other Options are getting Ash Hodson back from her loan (though I still have doubts about whether she still has the quality required for the WSL).

I wish we could do a "Chelsea", and just go out there spend a few hundred bazillian quid on a bunch of forwards from foreign leagues. Though the reality is we need to balance our books.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
Looks like Rachel Furness is on other clubs radar as possible outgoing loan (again according to Emma Sanders)

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Looks like Rachel Furness is on other clubs radar as possible outgoing loan (again according to Emma Sanders)
She has also mentioned Humphrey, who was reported as a possible outgoing loan earlier in the window before we signed the midfielders we did. So I've been expecting Humphrey to finally happen, if it does. But I think letting go of both her and Furness, without us bringing anybody else in, would be a bit of a gamble in terms of numbers.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
I didn't notice Miri Taylor or Razza Roberts in the dugouts yesterday, though Van Der Sanden was there.
Does anyone know if Miri is injured or something like that?

I ask because I seem to remember reading somewhere that Miri sometimes played as a central striker at her old club.
I looked up the AC matches she played in to get a better idea of her. I'm not entirely sure if I learnt anything of real use. She was mostly played on the left of a front two, from what I did see. But I never saw everything because many of her appearances were as a sub and it was tricky to find every match in full. Also, AC weren't the best, so it's not as if she was coming on to play a part in free flowing attacking football that showed her off. I could see the midfielder in her, in the sense that she was happy to run and chase in ways that were maybe beyond her role (which I don't mean negatively). But that and being used on the left of a front two is really all I took away from it.

She hasn't been mentioned as injured, that I've seen. But I'm presuming she is because I didn't see her in the training photos.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Emma Sanders again: Reading's Tash Dowie one Liverpool have looked at. Reading, Birmingham & Bristol City have asked about LFC's Rachel Furness (loans/permanent) but nothing materialised YET

If Dowie is who we want, I suppose stranger things have happened than one club loaning a player to another and in exchange getting a player on loan from them, but I'd feel more comfortable taking Dowie and not strengthening Reading by giving them Furness to plug the gap. Though maybe a bit of mutual benefit is the only way we'll get a transfer over the line at this late stage.

The usual transfer window rules apply... 5pm deadline for domestic, midnight for international.

Let's see what happens.

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Emma Sanders again: Reading's Tash Dowie one Liverpool have looked at. Reading, Birmingham & Bristol City have asked about LFC's Rachel Furness (loans/permanent) but nothing materialised YET

If Dowie is who we want, I suppose stranger things have happened than one club loaning a player to another and in exchange getting a player on loan from them, but I'd feel more comfortable taking Dowie and not strengthening Reading by giving them Furness to plug the gap. Though maybe a bit of mutual benefit is the only way we'll get a transfer over the line at this late stage.

The usual transfer window rules apply... 5pm deadline for domestic, midnight for international.

Let's see what happens.
Emma Sanders saying its done. https://twitter.com/em_sandy/status/1620373835232219137?s=20

Welcome back to Liverpool!

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
It's only 11am. I've set aside another six hours for stressing, what am I supposed to fill it with now?

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's only 11am. I've set aside another six hours for stressing, what am I supposed to fill it with now?
Still early, maybe there'll be some surprises..

Will be sad if Furnie leaves. She's seems to be a huge leader in the team.

Offline LeoT

• Anny Roader
Still early, maybe there'll be some surprises..

Will be sad if Furnie leaves. She's seems to be a huge leader in the team.

Yes, I feel that too, Furnie's been my favourite player for a number of years now.
Though, because of her age she doesn't have the pace or ability to cover as much ground as she used to, so her playing time in the WSL is limited.

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Jamie Carragher
@Carra23
Breaking News!

Liverpool have made an approach & are trying to buy back Melwood for LFC Women’s Team!

Seems a good and positive move.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Not a tweet I was expecting. Is he on a wind up? I'll spit at him through a car window if he is.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I think they should've done that in the first place.  :-X

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not a tweet I was expecting. Is he on a wind up? I'll spit at him through a car window if he is.

I don;t think this is something he'd joke about to be honest.

Offline On Axis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
I think they should've done that in the first place.  :-X
We really should have. But I can appreciate that the timelines at play didn't exactly align.

I do wonder what has happened with the plan for this women's team training ground though. The last update we got was months and months back, saying a site had finally been chosen after covid delayed the process and that the facility was due to open this summer. It surely can't be Melwood that was chosen, because why would take this long? At the same time, I wasn't ever able to find any sign of a different site ever being in the works whenever I've tried to look into it over the past couple of years.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We really should have. But I can appreciate that the timelines at play didn't exactly align.

I do wonder what has happened with the plan for this women's team training ground though. The last update we got was months and months back, saying a site had finally been chosen after covid delayed the process and that the facility was due to open this summer. It surely can't be Melwood that was chosen, because why would take this long? At the same time, I wasn't ever able to find any sign of a different site ever being in the works whenever I've tried to look into it over the past couple of years.

I heard that site news a year or so ago but with Melwood the facilities are already there, just repurpose it for our Women and it's all good again.  it will cost less than building a new site for the Women.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
This made me laugh more than it should have......

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Jamie Carragher
@Carra23
Breaking News!

Liverpool have made an approach & are trying to buy back Melwood for LFC Women’s Team!

Seems a good and positive move.

What would that involve though in terms of match facilities/capacity?

Chelsea and Man City have their own purpose built EFL level grounds for their women's team. The likes of Arsenal do via a groundshare.

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's going to be bought back for their training site, not for matches mate.  :D

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
It's going to be bought back for their training site, not for matches mate.  :D

Fair enough, presumed they might be looking to play a few matches there at least. Buying a site back again at the expense of millions just to train there seemed odd, when we've just shelled out for a multi-million new training ground.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
What would that involve though in terms of match facilities/capacity?

Chelsea and Man City have their own purpose built EFL level grounds for their women's team. The likes of Arsenal do via a groundshare.
I'll be surprised if there is any intent to add match day facilities, just because that hasn't ever featured in the comment coming out of the club.

But I suppose a rethink on where games are to be played, and the wish to combine that solution with a training facility solution, might at least partially explain why the club has seemingly changed direction in favour of Melwood over whatever was apparently being worked on since 2021(?).

As for capacity... some clubs are already selling out at 5k. Some are getting more than that for bigger matches. I'm not a big enough expert to say what the Melwood site could actually house, but there would have to be some degree of future proofing against attendance increases.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
When you put it  like that I guess they could play in a official matches there.  :D

The initial plans for Kirkby should've included the Women's team I've always said that. Was a fuck up from the beginning this.

Offline kellan

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
When you put it  like that I guess they could play in a official matches there.  :D

The initial plans for Kirkby should've included the Women's team I've always said that. Was a fuck up from the beginning this.
Kirkby for the women's team makes sense and at the same time doesn't make sense at all. Short term, it's ideal. Long term, probably not. Not if we're going to predict that the future of the women's game is one in which academies are as developed as those of men's football. I don't think we get a women's equivalent of the men's academy under the roof at Kirkby on top of everything else already there. That facility isn't sitting in the middle of empty fields with near endless potential for continued expansion whenever an extra building or pitch is needed.

It could be said that not even Melwood is big enough for that future. But it will do fine in the short term, and in the medium.

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
That Carra tweet reads like the usual hilarious LOL type footy bantz..so i'll ignore the story for now till we get a reliable news source.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
That Carra tweet reads like the usual hilarious LOL type footy bantz..so i'll ignore the story for now till we get a reliable news source.
We're checking any sources we can who might confirm/deny. If that's a wind-up, it's exceptionally unimpressive.......