Author Topic: Help - Hacked on Paypal!  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Help - Hacked on Paypal!
« on: April 22, 2017, 05:35:49 pm »
Hey all,

Hopefully this is the right place to ask for help on this...

I've just discovered I've been hacked on Paypal after someone bought a $400 graphics processor from a random tech website. Thankfully I was in my email account just as paypal sent a query about my security questions being changed. Went straight into my account to find this $400 transaction in progress to be sent to 'Kalashinikov Stefan' (not suspect at at all!) in Russia. Seriously, how do Paypal even let this shit happen!? Anyway. I've reported the transaction and now it's in dispute according to them. It also now shows in my main account as follows -

Which all looks pretty promising, though it does still sit under the 'completed' transfers tab. What I wanted to check with your smart people is whether I need contact my bank to make sure this transanction definitely doesn't go through? (though it being a weekend may make this pointless anyway). Or whether it's all in Paypal's hands now?

I've also changed my account password/security questions and run a virus/malware scan just in case (both came up clean).

Thanks for any advice  :wave
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
Re: Help - Hacked on Paypal!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 06:25:04 pm »
PayPal generally will point you in the direction of the seller to sort this issue. I've had this happen twice, and I got my money back once - only because PlayStation were happy to do so (the hacker also got into my psn account and purchased FIFA coins) but... they made it clear my username and password is my responsibility, not theirs. If it were to happen again they likely wouldn't refund.

Is the money out of your bank, or pending? If so it'll be too late for your bank to do something. If it is a credit card then you'll be ok.

You did the right thing changing your password, that's about as much as you can do.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 06:27:02 pm by liverbnz »
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 06:49:15 pm »

I have the contact details for the seller, so I could get in touch them myself. According to Paypal this is what their first step will be, though apparently this can take a whopping 30 days to resolve! I'm not sure if my interfering could invalidate the claim somehow?

It seems weird that I should be to blame on the password. I had a very strong one that is only used for this one account was never caught out according to https://haveibeenpwned.com/ But alas, big companies tend to be bastards like this. $400 is a lot of money for me, so it would be a hard pill to swallow.

It appears that the money hasn't left my bank account (it's a debit card connected to my paypal by the way) or at least it isn't visible on my online statement yet. There are also no pending transfers listed, so perhaps I managed to cancel it just in time. I did literally spot within half an hour of it happening. Going through my inbox I also found a receipt of payment email which reads as follows -

"Your eCheque bank payment of $443.61 USD to TOMTOP TECHNOLOGY LIMITED (wholesale@tomtop.com) is in progress.
eCheques usually take 5-7 working days to process (estimated:28/04/2017 - 03/05/2017)."

This seems like good news? I guess I should probably contact my bank as well. A bit of a pain though, as I'm abroad at the minute.
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 07:15:29 pm »
Just called my bank (or whatever call centre they directed me to!) and by the sounds of it nothing ever left my account. Sounds promising at least. Fingers crossed.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 07:30:02 pm »
Aha, I think I'm good! On closer inspection (I was more than a bit panicked earlier!) it appears I caught the attempted transfer so quickly that it didn't even get a chance to process. The dispute I opened on paypal is listed as 'case closed' and this is written with it - The payment was never accepted by the seller. PayPal cancelled the payment and returned the funds to your account.

Not going to celebrate 'til I'm sure nothing has left my account, but it looks good  :)

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 08:21:38 pm »
That's a relief.

Just a point on password security, i use lastpass. You only need one master password and all the other's are automatically generated. It's works for me...

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 09:19:52 pm »
Good news BB. Well spotted so quickly, probably stopped that being a hell of a lot worse.

Offline liverbnz

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2017, 10:18:30 pm »
Good stuff! Glad you got sorted.
One thing you will discover is that life is based less than you think on what you've learned, and much more than you think on what you have inside you from the very beginning

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 02:05:54 pm »

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 02:19:45 pm »
Thanks all. Seems like I got pretty lucky all told. I often ignore paypal emails too, so I could easily have missed this! Still wonder how they cracked my password as mine are all randomly generated.

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 06:49:45 pm »
:-\
https://www.theregister.co.uk/Tag/lastpass

Not arsed in the slightest. Pretty sure every technology firm in the online world has had vunrebilities in security.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 10:50:26 am »
Thanks all. Seems like I got pretty lucky all told. I often ignore paypal emails too, so I could easily have missed this! Still wonder how they cracked my password as mine are all randomly generated.

Probably haven't cracked your password, likely intercepted from another site you've used with dubious security.

Offline G1 Jockey 4(betfair)

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 10:52:39 pm »
Happened to me a few years ago.
Stopped the money leaving but paypal refunded me also so needed paying back.
turned out 30 quid out of pocket so left.

Suspected  a scam by paypal.
Bank said paypal got hacked..which is probably the correct reason.

Wouldnt rule out your router btw.
make sure ssh and telnet are off.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 10:54:21 pm by G1 Jockey 4(betfair) »
Freedom of Speech unless you get shouted down and abused by the in-crowd.

Offline Shady Craig

• 'Arry's Tax Lawyer. T'riffic. Hush, hush, eye to eye. When will he, will he be famous? I can't answer that!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 4, 2017, 10:41:30 pm »
I have the PayPal app which sends me a notification of what has just been purchased, bloody handy to keep a eye on the missus spending but also can give you a heads up incase anything like this happens.