Author Topic: Samsung Galaxy Phones...  (Read 11441 times)

Online swoopy

• not a mod. At all. Like ever. And certainly not on the ticket board that's for sure. Not for want of trying. Can't spell Irmingham either.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Samsung Galaxy Phones...
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2015, 10:23:10 am »
Just picked up an S6 Edge today and wonder why I even had a iPhone 6 all this time. Doubt I'll be going back to Apple anytime soon.

:thumbup Good Man

Bought the S6 Edge at the start of November as well. Love it!

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2015, 01:05:31 pm »
Does the edge make any difference at all?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2015, 01:18:17 pm »
Does the edge make any difference at all?
Not one bit, just has some fancy features like edge apps and night clock but I forget it's even there. Looks unbelievably premium though which is why I bought it.

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2015, 02:23:34 pm »
Finally jibbed my Galaxy and got a Motorola G 4rd Gen. Even though its spec is lower, the Moto G is better in every way (except maybe camera performance in dark).

Running pure Android is a joy and the battery life is far superior to any Samsung Galaxy Ive ever had.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2015, 02:54:32 pm »
It's not that Samsungs are terrible. All phones for some reason have varying degrees of quality. Had 2 iphones. One had great battery life while another was a bag of shite. Same situation with two s3's.

I currently have two s6's (one for work and one for personal use) and work phone doesn't tend to last as long as my personal one (although it still has okay battery life.)

I've noticed a significant battery life improvement since I adjusted the screen settings, switching the garish AMOLED colour pallette off and having it sleep after 30 seconds of no use.

Offline macca007

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2015, 06:19:34 pm »
Got mates who say the edge screen is more hassle than its worth.  End up knocking it when typing which fucks up what they are doing in apps and things like that.  Not worth it especially as its extra money.  Got the note myself and never had a problem with the battery.  Phone is an absolute beast and got everything i need including the micro sd card slot.  Camera is unreal for most of what i need and the screen is spot on.  Best phone I've ever had

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2015, 06:14:44 pm »
Up to this afternoon, when typing a new sentence my phone would automatically put the first letter of the first word as a capital letter. It's now stopped doing that. I haven't knowingly changed anything. Any ideas?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline tray fenny

• virtue signaling keyboard warrior
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2015, 11:11:17 pm »
Bring up the text keyboard, keep key next to 'Sym' held until the option menu appears, choose the setting cog symbol, check the 'auto capitalise' option.
'Germany are a very difficult team to play, they had 11 internationals out there today.' - Steve Lomas

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: December 30, 2015, 11:17:51 pm »
Nice one, cheers

Offline zabadoh

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on with hope in your heart
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2015, 04:30:09 am »
My S6 Edge Wi-Fi is awful - randomly disconnects and only reconnects when I go in to find local wireless networks.

Smartphones' build quality varies tremendously.  I noticed a similar problem with wifi with one phone within a day of buying it, exchanged it, and the second one worked.
“It's impossible,” said Pride.  “It's risky,” said Experience.  “It's pointless,” said Reason.

“Give it a try,” whispered the Heart. - Ken-Obi

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2016, 04:02:16 pm »
I've got an St that I'm very happy with. However it occasionally stops me from from opening a link, giving a message along the lines of "the maximum number of tabs (50) has been reached. Go to the toolbar, open tabs and delete some and try again". The trouble is that the message appears when no other tabs, or only a few, are open. Anybody know what to do to stop this?

Offline Wallingtonian

• "Always been a blues fan..." <--- outed! Bless :) Waspish.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2016, 04:04:21 pm »
That should read "I've got an S6" of course

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2016, 04:37:02 am »
I've got an St that I'm very happy with. However it occasionally stops me from from opening a link, giving a message along the lines of "the maximum number of tabs (50) has been reached. Go to the toolbar, open tabs and delete some and try again". The trouble is that the message appears when no other tabs, or only a few, are open. Anybody know what to do to stop this?

Thats the Android memory leak problem in Lollipop versions, especially seen in the S6 series of phones. What happens is that the system allocates RAM to running processes (in this case the broweser) but fails to release the RAM when the process is killed (closing the tab). The system 'sees' all those tabs being open as memory is being used, while in reality its just unreleased memory.

Unfortunately there are no solutions as of now. However Android Marshmallow is coming soon for the S6 series and that version takes care of all these niggling issues and more.

Phuk yoo

Offline lfcthekop

• knows how to inbed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: March 1, 2016, 04:25:41 pm »
Just pre orderd the s7 edge, get it on the 8th march, coming from a s4 which i have owned from new, i cant wait :)

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: March 3, 2016, 08:37:07 am »
Anyone had their phone replaced under warranty? Does it take much persuasion? My phone signal since January has been non existent while in any house. I don't get any calls or texts. Constantly changes between no service and emergency calls only. It's been to the local Samsung repair centre, and the issue still remains. Next stop is bringing it to Carphone Warehouse. Are they likely to want to send it to their own tech guys?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #55 on: March 3, 2016, 08:40:39 am »
Anyone had their phone replaced under warranty? Does it take much persuasion? My phone signal since January has been non existent while in any house. I don't get any calls or texts. Constantly changes between no service and emergency calls only. It's been to the local Samsung repair centre, and the issue still remains. Next stop is bringing it to Carphone Warehouse. Are they likely to want to send it to their own tech guys?

Samsung are usually decent with replacements for defective products. As long as you can convince them that the problem did not occur through mishandling/damage, it should be a fairly straightforward process.

My mums S5's WIFI antenna stopped working within the warranty period. Got it replaced easily, no problem.
Phuk yoo

Online Barneylfc∗

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: March 3, 2016, 09:59:40 am »
Samsung are usually decent with replacements for defective products. As long as you can convince them that the problem did not occur through mishandling/damage, it should be a fairly straightforward process.

My mums S5's WIFI antenna stopped working within the warranty period. Got it replaced easily, no problem.

Is it better to keep bringing it to the repair centre or bring it back to Carphone Warehouse where I bought it?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #57 on: March 3, 2016, 11:25:27 am »
Is it better to keep bringing it to the repair centre or bring it back to Carphone Warehouse where I bought it?

Better to take it back to the authorised Samsung repair center. The sellers will pretty much send it to a samsung repair center anyway once you handover your phone to them.

If they are not able to solve it the second time, simply insist on a replacement.
Phuk yoo

Offline mattybeard

• Chicken Fondler. Group hug? Anyone?
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #58 on: March 3, 2016, 03:27:42 pm »
Anyone have any good gadgets to help out with the utterly shambolic battery on the S6 Edge?

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: March 3, 2016, 03:49:41 pm »
Anyone have any good gadgets to help out with the utterly shambolic battery on the S6 Edge?

It will annoy you to start with, but I've had significant improvement on my Note 4 by setting the screen timeout to be quite short. Given the screen uses about 45% of the phone's battery (even more so on these quad HD screens) if you can half the time it is on, you should see a 25% improvement in battery.

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #60 on: March 9, 2016, 09:04:16 pm »
Just pre orderd the s7 edge, get it on the 8th march, coming from a s4 which i have owned from new, i cant wait :)

Had the S4.. loved it. Currently own the S6 Edge. Love most things besides the camera. But I don't think I will upgrade to the S7 just to get a supposedly better camera.

the jump from s4 to s7 makes sense though. Let us know how it is!

Offline lfcthekop

• knows how to inbed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2016, 02:11:42 am »
Had the S4.. loved it. Currently own the S6 Edge. Love most things besides the camera. But I don't think I will upgrade to the S7 just to get a supposedly better camera.

the jump from s4 to s7 makes sense though. Let us know how it is!
Well so far so good, the phone is stuninng,very fast very big (compared to my s4) love the curved screen, all in all brilliant so far..

the VR is abit meh though, comparing it to google carboard  which my daughter has id say the picture quality is better on the cardboard then the gear vr

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2016, 02:19:00 am »
Still got my S2. Does everything I need. But tempted to go for bigger, quicker, better etc. S7 edge might just tempt me.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2016, 05:33:05 pm »
Was looking at getting an S7 Edge with my new contract, then I go on and see its £51 a month!?!?! What, when I started my last contract 2 years ago the high end ones were 35-40 a month. Can't justify that on a phone

Offline lfcthekop

• knows how to inbed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2016, 06:19:24 pm »
Was looking at getting an S7 Edge with my new contract, then I go on and see its £51 a month!?!?! What, when I started my last contract 2 years ago the high end ones were 35-40 a month. Can't justify that on a phone
Mine was a new contact, £129.99 deposit, and £35 a month, also came with a free Gear VR, on o2,s7 edge!

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2016, 06:35:23 pm »

Think if you have a mooch around you'll find a load of offers better than that. My local phone shop (one of EE or Three or something like that) was doing £60 for the phone and £35 a month with unlimited calls/texts and a shit ton of data.

Mine was a new contact, £129.99 deposit, and £35 a month, also came with a free Gear VR, on o2,s7 edge!

Early thoughts mate? I was thinking about going back to Apple, but the incremental changes have been the ones I was crying out for and it's tempting me back to the dark side.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:37:22 pm by Lfsea »

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2016, 02:19:25 am »
Had a go at an S7 Edge yesterday, feels like a downgrade from the S6. Felt a bit heavier and the drop down menu looked terrible with the white background. Just didnt feel as premium as the S6 Edge. And the silver version is just a fingerprint magnet. Would be incredible to watch movies on though, the screen probably warranted that high price.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2016, 04:00:28 am »
Had a go at an S7 Edge yesterday, feels like a downgrade from the S6. Felt a bit heavier and the drop down menu looked terrible with the white background. Just didnt feel as premium as the S6 Edge. And the silver version is just a fingerprint magnet. Would be incredible to watch movies on though, the screen probably warranted that high price.
The screen is basically what you're paying for. I think it's the same res (?) but they changed something (not entirely sure what it is to be honest) that makes it more clear, and it's especially noticeable with the Gear VR headset. I've read that the 'screen door' effect isn't as apparent in the s7, which is a pretty big deal.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2016, 07:01:46 am »
The screen is basically what you're paying for. I think it's the same res (?) but they changed something (not entirely sure what it is to be honest) that makes it more clear, and it's especially noticeable with the Gear VR headset. I've read that the 'screen door' effect isn't as apparent in the s7, which is a pretty big deal.
Its a bit bigger and a lot more sharper than the S6. Is this the only phone theyrr bringing out this year? If so, I think I'll stay with my S6 Edge for now

Offline Butcher Knife Roberto

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hare Krishna
« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2016, 06:19:42 pm »

There's also the micro SD which will give us all more storage space for selfies, videos, etc etc. Definite upgrade on the S6, although that was and still is a world class handset.

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2016, 06:21:36 pm »
There's also the micro SD which will give us all more storage space for selfies, videos, etc etc. Definite upgrade on the S6, although that was and still is a world class handset.

Not to forget that they've also brought back waterproofing.

Offline AB LFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2016, 02:25:45 am »
This new marshmallow update is terrible, any way I can.revert back to previous settings?

Online Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2016, 02:45:46 am »
Not to forget that they've also brought back waterproofing.
The Galaxy has never been waterproof.
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline BRdispatch05

• Avian maculation. Aural Tetanus Fetishist.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2016, 03:44:39 am »
The Galaxy has never been waterproof.
Didn't the s5 sport have waterproofing?
The cave you fear to enter holds the treasure you seek. - Joseph Campbell

Offline Lfsea

• Half a grand, so it is
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2016, 08:12:02 am »
The S5 was IP67 rated.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2016, 09:49:15 am »
Didn't the s5 sport have waterproofing?
water resistant not water proof i think
cyas

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2016, 04:17:14 pm »
I know this will go against the majority, but I swapped my iphone 5C for a Samsung S6 a few weeks ago, cos Vodafone offered me a boss deal.......and its the biggest mistake I've made so far, I hate the bloody thing.

Battery life is awful, I have the screen turned right down, a black wallpaper, close all my apps, yet still charge it twice a day.

Constantly freezes when moving between apps, too senstive when playing something Deezer, I only have to brush the side of the phone and it skips a song.

Had murder with Vodafone and Apple as well because the S6 wouldnt accept imessages or change them into a traditional text - the advice from Vodafone? Text everyone I know who has an iphone and tell them I dont have one no more!  :no

I'm stuck with it now for 24 months, the only good thing I can say is the camera is decent.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2016, 05:12:47 pm »
Ordered the S7 Edge today.

Wasn't actually due an upgrade yet but it's just too damn sexy.

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2016, 01:49:12 pm »
Got the S7 yesterday. Feels and looks nice compared to my S5.  Got the VR Gear as well.

Strange what you get used to. When I went from my S3 to the S5 I hated the S5 after a week or so because of its size/weight. Now its just the norm. I was using my old S3 the other day and it felt like a toy :-)
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2016, 01:56:42 pm »
I know this will go against the majority, but I swapped my iphone 5C for a Samsung S6 a few weeks ago, cos Vodafone offered me a boss deal.......and its the biggest mistake I've made so far, I hate the bloody thing.

Battery life is awful, I have the screen turned right down, a black wallpaper, close all my apps, yet still charge it twice a day.

Constantly freezes when moving between apps, too senstive when playing something Deezer, I only have to brush the side of the phone and it skips a song.

Had murder with Vodafone and Apple as well because the S6 wouldnt accept imessages or change them into a traditional text - the advice from Vodafone? Text everyone I know who has an iphone and tell them I dont have one no more!  :no

I'm stuck with it now for 24 months, the only good thing I can say is the camera is decent.
whoever you spoke to at apple and vodafone is a fucking idiot. You just need to de-activate imessage.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

cyas