Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1037831 times)

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The iPhone
« on: January 9, 2007, 05:55:32 pm »
The iPhone

images here

"This is a day I've been looking forward to for two and a half years," said Jobs. "Every once in a while a revolutionary product comes along that changes everything."

In 1984, said Jobs, Apple introduced the Macintosh, and changed the computer industry. In 2001, Apple introduced the iPod, and changed the entire music industry.

"Well, today, we're introducing three revolutionary products of this class," said Jobs. "The first one is a widescreen iPod with touch controls. The second is a revolutionary mobile phone. The third is a breakthrough Internet communications device."

"These are not three separate devices," said Jobs. "This is one device. And we are calling it iPhone. Today Apple is going to reinvent the phone."

Jobs explained that smartphones provide phone and e-mail and what he called "the baby Internet. They're not so smart and not so easy to use."

"We don't want to do these," he said. "We want to do a leapfrog product that's way smarter than these phones and much easier to use. So we're going to reinvent the phone."

The iPhone does not use a keyboard, nor does it use a stylus, as many smartphones do today. The device uses new technology called "Multitouch."

"We're going to use the best pointing device in our world," said Jobs. "We're born with 10 of them, our fingers."

Multitouch is far more accurate than any touch display, according to Jobs. It ignores unintended touches, supports multi-fingers gesture. "And boy, have we patented it," he added.

The iPhone runs Mac OS X, said Jobs. "We start with a solid foundation," he explained.

"Why would we run such a sophisticated operating system on a mobile device? It's got everything we need," he said. "It's got multitasking, networking, power management, awesome security and the right apps. It's got all the stuff we want. And it's built right in to iPhone. And has let us create desktop-class applications and networking.

iPhone also synchronizes through iTunes. It syncs media, contact information, calendars, photos, notes, bookmarks, e-mail accounts. "All that stuff can be moved over the iPhone completely automatically," said Jobs.

The iPhone features a 3.5-inch, 160 dot-per-inch color screen. There's a small "Home" button it. It's also remarkably thin -- 11.6 millimeters, thinner than any smartphone out there, according to Jobs.

On one side, the iPhone sports a ring/silent switch, volume up and down controls. On its silver back side is a 2 megapixel digital camera. The bottom features a speaker, microphone and iPod dock connector.

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01/09/liveupdate/index.php
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:03:32 pm by Sinos »
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Iphone
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2007, 05:58:02 pm »
Is it going to be the Nintendo Wii of mobiles?
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
Re: The Iphone
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2007, 06:01:50 pm »
appletv looks quite good.

Offline Sinos

• itis
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #3 on: January 9, 2007, 06:37:28 pm »
4th quater for Europe 

8GB model - $599
4GB model - $499
« Last Edit: January 9, 2007, 06:49:41 pm by JMACC »
My ass cheeks clapped together louder than an excited Latino man with maracas... I had just laid the mightiest fudge dragon ever known to mankind in its very own water bath.

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/tybuq/did_you_ever_think_you_were_going_to_die_from_a/

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: January 9, 2007, 06:40:43 pm »

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 9, 2007, 06:46:14 pm »
It's absolutely fucking awesome, what a home run ;D

Sell Nokia, Motorola shares, RIMM may be Ok because of the Pearl, but this is an absolute must have gadget.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #6 on: January 9, 2007, 06:46:39 pm »
I want an iphone
I need an iphone

Yes it may have issues, people will find fault, but fuck me that is a sexy piece of hardware.

Offline iancr7

• Im sorry but who are you again ?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • likes men in uniform
« Reply #7 on: January 9, 2007, 06:53:29 pm »
i want one now please  :scarf
brummie born and (b)red

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 9, 2007, 06:56:42 pm »
June availability in the US....GSM so it'll be component supply which restricts the UK launch.

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #9 on: January 9, 2007, 07:04:27 pm »
4th quater for Europe 

8GB model - $599
4GB model - $499

Why do I now expect to see these prices

8GB model - £599
4GB model - £499

That is what will put me off, guessing you would need to get one on some kind of apple contract.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #10 on: January 9, 2007, 07:42:26 pm »
They will be expensive, but fuck me - I've never seen such a desirable gadget.
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #11 on: January 9, 2007, 08:07:30 pm »
want one.

Offline nidgemo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Semper in excremento, sole profundum qui variat.
  • Super Title: Coming soon! Official Launch May 2008
« Reply #12 on: January 9, 2007, 09:03:49 pm »
Never fear, windows users, yours will be along in 2010 or 2011.
I'm no longer on RAWK, but if you need to contact me about anything, you can email me on nigelmorrison@connectfree.co.uk

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #13 on: January 9, 2007, 09:14:23 pm »
to be fair, theres quite afew devices that do the same sort of thing that run windows mobile and have been for a while.

I think nokia, sony ericsson and the people who make the XDA will be shitting it now though.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 11:09:47 am by Matt S »

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 9, 2007, 11:35:35 pm »
Er... is it only me who thinks this is shit?

And no, Nidge, it's not cos it's made by Apple, I just find these claims from Jobs absolute bollocks, and as Matt says, Microsoft have been doing those smartphones for a while, and I wouldn't have one of theirs either.

They've re-invented fuck all, just crammed things into one device, something that other companies have been doing for a while, and then put a touchscreen it... ooh, I'm so... unimpressed.

The phone I have now does most of those things, and it's not a smartphone nor did it cost a fortune.

Anyone who pays the ridiculous premium to own one of these not-so-'revolutionary devices' is a fucking idiot.

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 9, 2007, 11:39:36 pm »
Don't Nokia and Sony Ericsson do touch screen phones?

In any case, if they can do the "iPod/camera/phone" gadget that so far hasn't really been achieved (Sony, you came so close but why do you mock us with your capacities?) then I'll be happy.
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 9, 2007, 11:44:06 pm »

And no, Nidge, it's not cos it's made by Apple, I just find these claims from Jobs absolute bollocks, and as Matt says, Microsoft have been doing those smartphones for a while, and I wouldn't have one of theirs either.

They've re-invented fuck all, just crammed things into one device, something that other companies have been doing for a while, and then put a touchscreen it... ooh, I'm so... unimpressed.

The phone I have now does most of those things, and it's not a smartphone nor did it cost a fortune.

Anyone who pays the ridiculous premium to own one of these not-so-'revolutionary devices' is a fucking idiot.
I disagree. I've been quite scathing of some of Apple's recent offerings but providing the iPhone can be reasonable subsidised by network contract I think it'll sell in huge huge numbers and rightly so. So long as the OS is reliable and easy to navigate (which would be a vast improvement on most symbian based phones) it'll be a huge success. I'd expect to see the lower model available for around £99 - £150 to those taking out new contracts on £30 per month or greater tarifs. Networks will no doubt be keen to supply them, especially given the considerably easier web access will no doubt lead to greater mobile web usage and therefore greater profits for the networks themselves on data usage.

Apples penchant for announcing kit that won't ship for at least 6 months never ceases to piss me off though!
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 12:40:12 am by Boooo »

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: January 9, 2007, 11:47:49 pm »

Well, I've been reading some reviews from people I view as tech experts, some generally anti- apple, and they're all creaming their drawers over this

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 9, 2007, 11:51:08 pm »
No doubt it looks a shit hot device

One question though as i only had a scan read, wont the screen get grubby as fuck from constantly touching the screen. By the time my hands are done with it, my picture collection will look like a collection of grease pics ;D

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #19 on: January 9, 2007, 11:56:59 pm »
Will it actually be any good as a phone though ;)

Looks interesting but then again lots of phones look good until you see them in action

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2007, 12:29:00 am »
Here's the link to the official blurb from Apple:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2007, 12:35:03 am »

I think thats abit harsh considering nobody has really actually seen it properly yet.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2007, 12:50:53 am »
I disagree. I've been quite scathing of some of Apple's recent offerings but providing the iPhone can be reasonable subsidised by network contract I think it'll sell in huge huge numbers and rightly so. So long as the OS is reliable and easy to navigate (which would be a vast improvement on most symbian based phones) it'll be a huge success. I'd expect to see the lower model available for around £99 - £150 to those taking out new contracts on £30 per month or greater tarifs. Networks will no doubt be keen to supply them, especially given the considerably easier web access will no doubt lead to greater mobile web usage and therefore greater profits for the networks themselves on data usage.

Apples penchant for announcing kit that won't ship for at least 6 months never ceases to piss me though!

I have no doubts whatsoever this thing will sell in huge numbers on the back of the iPod.

I just think it's stupid, personally, that screen may well look nice, but how in the hell are you meant to keep it clean on the go and how are they gonna make it robust enough to be carted round in someone's pocket, or the bottom of their bag or lashed into a breifcase whilst retaining maximum functionality?

My laptop has a touchpad that moves the mouse around and is used for selecting/clicking etc by tapping on it, it's pretty sensitive and has a rubbery texture to it so your standard residue off the fingertips isn't a problem... but if I get it wet, or a bit of grease gets on it, it's a fucking nightmare... now, imagine that on a hard plastic surface, leaving fingerprints all over it, or after holding it to your grid for a good long natter, it'll make your skin sweat and secrete oils and bits of dead skin onto it's shiny surface, try sending an email from it then without wanting to throw it against the wall.

Well, I've been reading some reviews from people I view as tech experts, some generally anti- apple, and they're all creaming their drawers over this

Have they got their hands on one? or are they ever so excited about this in principle?

Because in principle, it's great, but in real world situations how will it stand up?

If those tech experts are more than willing to hand over their own cash to get one, and use it for a month then report back, i might just be willing to take their excitement with some sense of reality.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2007, 12:51:12 am »
Want it for the new iPod features, not that bothered about the phone itself (although will be nice to tie them up into one).

Looks well cool

Although:
no 3G means slooooow internet (AFAIK only Orange have an EDGE compliant 2G network in the UK - someone correct me if I'm wrong)
8GB bit small for putting movies n the like on (my iPod is 60GB and nearly full!)
Gotta wait till Q4 - what is up with that!

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2007, 12:56:38 am »
been waiting for someone to do this properly for years, perhaps apple will get closer than other have.

but won't be in a rush to buy 1st generation ones thats for sure.
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline SMD

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2007, 07:11:36 am »
One of my friends goes "it's the first phone where you can use ALL YOUR FINGERS AT ONCE!"

I'm go "I can do that with my phone and I've had it for over a year and a half". ???

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2007, 07:44:33 am »
Claire it sounds as though you are already on a downer on this and surely your 'negative' reaction is just as overboard as the positive ones. You are making claims again without seeing it in action, just like those whom are getting overly excited. It could be the best piece of kit ever, it could be the biggest flop. But like you said until someone has actually used one, none of us can overly praise it, or condemn it for that matter.

For me it is a sexy piece of kit and I am excited, I may however change my mind. I am also quite sure that the 'grubby screen' issue would of been looked out and there will be some kind of solution.

Offline ۩ Imperator ۩

• CAE DIVI AUG
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Let them hate me, as long as they respect me"
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2007, 08:08:44 am »
There's no escaping the fact it's pretty fucking enormous for a phone (over a centimetre thick? It must weigh a ton!):

« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 08:15:12 am by ۩ Imperator ۩ »
In a free state there should be freedom of speech and thought.
 Tiberius Caesar Augustus,
Roman Emperor & General (42 BC - 37 AD)

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2007, 08:28:31 am »
There's no escaping the fact it's pretty fucking enormous for a phone (over a centimetre thick? It must weigh a ton!):

If I am honest Apple's biggest mistake here is the name. As I don't see it as just a phone. It is more of a portable entertainment mini mac.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2007, 08:29:54 am »
its nice and all, had loads of great functions etc and no doubt will run very well

its a brick though and i'd never carry it in my pocket, its clearly aimed at yanks who are used to sidekicks etc who dont mind the bulkier mobile devices
STFU and agree with me.

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2007, 08:34:45 am »
its nice and all, had loads of great functions etc and no doubt will run very well

its a brick though and i'd never carry it in my pocket, its clearly aimed at yanks who are used to sidekicks etc who dont mind the bulkier mobile devices

Same problem that put a lot of people off buying the Nokia N91

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2007, 09:37:22 am »
Apple just gave us 15 minutes with the iPhone. To be frank, I was surprised -- Apple doesn't usually grace us with this kind of love. I guess they liked our iPhone posts from last month. The legends say Woz and Steve love to pull pranks.

What do I really think of it? Well CD players and iPods both play music. But elegant design at the fundamental level of how it plays tunes is what helped it transcend the category. From what I saw, first hand, I think the iPhone is going to do this for cellies. I have a bit of sympathy for our friends at RIM and Nokia

First thing I did? I called my mom.

"Mom," I said. "I'm calling you from an iPhone"

Mom says, "Where? Huh? Who?"

I said, "Uh, its a gadget people have been waiting for for a long time. Never mind, I'll call you later."

Then I dug into the features.

It's easy to say how it worked -- it did just the way it's supposed to, per the Keynote. The experience is very OS X like. So, lets go through each feature. Keep in mind this isn't the final firmware or hardware. They have months to fix whatever I bitch about.

Phone calling: Sound is clearer than average. The number pad is tucked away, so they depend on you having most numbers in speed dial. That's ok. Soft buttons are never going to be as fast as hard buttons. These were good, there wasn't much delay. But wihtout tactile feedback, its a little strange. (The faux dialtones are cool.)

Screen: Most gorgeous ever. Flawless. Dark, and contrasty. Bright colors. Photos looked natural. Touchscreen was better for multigestures, but the screen itself had a bit of rubbery feel as I flicked through with a single figner.

Gestures: They work! Multitouch is great for zooming photos. I likey.

Video: The pirates of the caribbean video was supposedly 640 by 480, but looked kind of blown up. I'm being picky, though. You can set the video to native res, instead of filling the screen. Maybe that was the 320 version of Pirates. I'm being picky.

Music: Um, I flipped through some songs, but without headphones, I didn't listen.

Images: You saw it from our liveblog. Thumbnails, and zooming using gestures. As you'd expect.

Browser: Perfect rendering of the page (saw the apple page and Google news) Like the opera browser, it scales down images. Didn't check Flash or Java/Javascript support. Flipped to landscape when I tilted (but only one side.) Zooming in with a touch and then back out made sense. And landscape mode is awesome.

Keyboard: The softkey, on screen buttons are small. Think index finger, not thumb. Maybe I wasn't doing it right. The keys pop up when I put my finger down on the keys, but do you think the proximity sensor knows when I get close (but before I touch), and if I hover with my digit, it'll blow up the keys so they're easier to hit? (Am I making sense?)

SMS: Didn't try.

Email: Typed around a bit. Wish the fields for To, and CC were smaller fonts. But I guess when you go to the main message field, it scrolls down.

Google Maps: Perfect. Maps DL'd slower than I'd have liked, esp considering the demo was on wifi (Was it on WiFi? I believe so, but will let you know if I am wrong.)

Widgets: Weather and Stocks are identical to the OS X Dashboard Widgets. Great

Camera: The camera didn't refresh fast in the dark meeting room. I wasn't that impressed, but it was pretty dark.

RAM Vmail: Didn't check, but looked at the messages, seemed straight forward.

Multitasking: Didn't have time to check!

We'll email Apple and ask them if you have any questions, and we'll update this post as we find out more from other journalists themselves. –Brian Lam

A hands on review from Gizmodo
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2007, 09:44:05 am »
Looks very good, apart from the bulkiness, but I wonder what the battery life is like? If it's too short, like the early iPods, it could be a bit of a disaster- not being able to listen to music for a bit is one thing, but if you're using this seriously then it's quite another. Also as Claire mentioned above, how will the screen stand up, given that the iPod's is so easily scratched. Still, they've got plenty of time to iron out any problems.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2007, 09:47:00 am »
the screen is made from some slightly rubberised stuff that is supposed to resist fingerprints

batteryl life is 5 hours if using all the functions, like watching a movie etc

16hours if just listening to audio

or so they claim, its never quite what they claim is it
STFU and agree with me.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2007, 09:49:14 am »
Divide by three...

hoonin

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2007, 09:50:56 am »
Fuck me, that's huge. Does it come with it's own ruck sack to carry it in?

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2007, 09:56:48 am »
Divide by three...

and then take 5% off for every month you own it
STFU and agree with me.

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2007, 09:57:19 am »
Fuck me, that's huge. Does it come with it's own ruck sack to carry it in?

the iSack, availabe only in white at bargain price of $99
STFU and agree with me.

hoonin

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2007, 10:46:50 am »
Some prototype photies for the iPhone accessories are leaking out..

The iSack

FM Transmitter

iPack external battery pack.

Offline Matt S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • MattShaw
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2007, 11:10:08 am »
to be fair, theres quite afew devices that do the same sort of thing that run windows mobile and have been for a while.

I think nokia, sony ericsson and the people who make the XDA will be shitting it now though.
I take that bit back actually. The iphone isnt a pda at all really, theres no mention of having microsoft office on it (well, why would there be? as if apple are going to mention that at this stage?)

The reason I hardly listen to my ipod is because I cant stand having my phone and my ipod in my pocket. And this would combine the two.

But sony & nokia will be shitting themselves.

By the way.. when is q4? is that like a years time? If so this thing is going to be fairly out of date by the time it comes out, gives the competition a chance to come back with something just as good or better.