539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1446557 times)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Brexit - Pealrlimunt to be prorogued as the pro-rogues try to wreck the UK
« Reply #28080 on: September 11, 2019, 11:38:57 am »
Absolutely nothing will come of that court ruling.

Disagree

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #28082 on: September 11, 2019, 11:45:47 am »
If you have any spare cash, please consider supporting the lawyer and his Good Law Project that brought today's case, as well as the Article 50 revocation case.

https://goodlawproject.org/about/

https://twitter.com/jolyonmaugham

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28083 on: September 11, 2019, 11:46:53 am »
Well. He's up to 252 parts in the thread, and is taking a break before continuing. I am not sure what I (or anyone else) is supposed to do with all that. Who is he? Why the link?

If you're not interested in the SCL/AIQ/CA interference in brexit/Trump then don't bother, but there may well be people interested here.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #28084 on: September 11, 2019, 11:47:43 am »
If you're not interested in the SCL/AIQ/CA interference in brexit/Trump then don't bother, but there may well be people interested here.

It makes for some very interesting reading. Never realised the web of companies / people who are all linked.

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28085 on: September 11, 2019, 11:48:28 am »
What will happen if the Supreme Court in London rules in favour of Boris? What will the Scots think of that decision then?
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28086 on: September 11, 2019, 11:49:25 am »
Hope you're right.

I'm sure the government will try to straight bat it, as if it changes nothing or is just advisory (even though it's not). But if not today, I expect by next week that the prorogation will be lifted.

Campaigners, opposition MPs and Tory democrats will no doubt come up with some creative ways to shame the government while also making clear they are attacking democracy.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28087 on: September 11, 2019, 11:50:23 am »

I'm keen to give it a read

What will happen if the Supreme Court in London rules in favour of Boris? What will the Scots think of that decision then?

Seems unlikely, given the certainty of the ruling following disclosure of communications behind the scene. It would overturn the ruling from Scots courts to end the prorogation though

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28088 on: September 11, 2019, 11:52:13 am »
Watson needs to be sacked.

Disgrace. Everything going on and all you give a shit about is your tiny, factional insignificant little war. People like you are a reason this country has got to this state.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
  • The only club that matters
« Reply #28089 on: September 11, 2019, 11:57:27 am »
It would be perfectly normal - the Supreme Court is the highest Scottish judicial authority too, and Scottish judges sit on it.  It happens a lot.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28090 on: September 11, 2019, 11:57:35 am »
It makes for some very interesting reading. Never realised the web of companies / people who are all linked.

If it was published in a readable article I'd probably bother with it, but I'm simply not reading over 250 tweets at once.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #28091 on: September 11, 2019, 11:59:04 am »

I`d be more worried about the nationalism that will be whipped by those who oppose it, if it`s enforced.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #28092 on: September 11, 2019, 12:00:59 pm »
Fuck, those comments by the judges are damning.  Unless the Supreme Court says the opposite he has to resign immediately.  Then where are we?  This is the only show in town all of a sudden.

Has the Scottish case set out which elected officials were involved beyond Johnson? Presumably Cox and Buckland are in tricky positions regardless with Downing Street's current and ongoing response to following the law as well as any and all advice they may have given the government about this.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline HarryLabrador

• went broke, so had to get the retrievers in.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28093 on: September 11, 2019, 12:06:22 pm »
I`d be more worried about the nationalism that will be whipped by those who oppose it, if it`s enforced.
That's what I worry about as well. I shall again quote the Scottish poet, Sir Walter Scott, “Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive!"
SoS Membership Number: 387

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28094 on: September 11, 2019, 12:11:12 pm »
Has the Scottish case set out which elected officials were involved beyond Johnson? Presumably Cox and Buckland are in tricky positions regardless with Downing Street's current and ongoing response to following the law as well as any and all advice they may have given the government about this.

Cox and Buckland are finished in the law. They've sold their souls and their careers.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28095 on: September 11, 2019, 12:12:32 pm »
"I've shot you Jeff. With a bullet made of Scottish finance regulations." - Mark Corrigan

"I've shot you Boris. With a bullet made of a decision from the Scottish Court of Session." - Joanna Cherry QC

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28096 on: September 11, 2019, 12:26:40 pm »
The written reasons are released first thing Friday morning.  That they didn’t come out today suggests they might be pretty lengthy.  I doubt they’ll have said much more in open court than has been reported already, but that’s damning enough.  In fact I’m struggling to think of anything like it having been said before in something of such magnitude.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #28097 on: September 11, 2019, 12:28:39 pm »
Someone asked the other day about how a Speaker is chosen and seeing the number of those wishing to stand continue to rise... ParlyApp (a journalism project focused on Parliament and procedures) has the full break down in a twitter thread: https://twitter.com/PARLYapp/status/1171425622171668482
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28098 on: September 11, 2019, 12:31:25 pm »
Fuck, those comments by the judges are damning.  Unless the Supreme Court says the opposite he has to resign immediately.  Then where are we?  This is the only show in town all of a sudden.
The Supreme Court could add their own comments condemning Johnson and the government - I doubt it would result in him resigning. We are different reality now. A really dangerous place. I warned (as did others) about this a couple of years ago - some thought I was scaremongering, invoking Godwin's Law, etc. This Government must be stopped and stopped now.

https://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=328948.msg15712601#msg15712601
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28099 on: September 11, 2019, 12:33:27 pm »
I was just looking for a bit of background. It seemed just a bit random, that's all.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28100 on: September 11, 2019, 12:34:39 pm »
Going to be very interesting seeing how the evidence is presented to the Supreme Court.
If his defence is this, calling Johnson a liar is a outrageous attack on his character then good luck with that.
If this is about proving Johnson is a prolific liar and this is just another example of his contempt for honesty then Johnson will be crucified.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #28101 on: September 11, 2019, 12:34:48 pm »
The written reasons are released first thing Friday morning.  That they didn’t come out today suggests they might be pretty lengthy.  I doubt they’ll have said much more in open court than has been reported already, but that’s damning enough.  In fact I’m struggling to think of anything like it having been said before in something of such magnitude.

Ta Iska. Reading through what clever people are saying, seems that the Supreme Court's decision is really whether it matters in law that Johnson lied about the reason or not (Scottish court says it does, English court says it doesn't). That said, if it finds that he did lie but it doesn't matter then, as you suggest, it seems difficult to see how Johnson carries on as PM unless Parliament turns a blind eye to it.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #28102 on: September 11, 2019, 12:35:36 pm »
If the Supreme Court agree then I think the Queen can effectively sack him can’t she?

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #28103 on: September 11, 2019, 12:37:39 pm »
People saying the Government Lawyers made a basic error after the judgment they didn't ask for the ruling to be suspended until after the appeal next week.

So the Government will now be breaking the law if they don't recall Parliament.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #28104 on: September 11, 2019, 12:38:44 pm »
If the Supreme Court agree then I think the Queen can effectively sack him can’t she?

Does she have the balls to? She seems pretty pointless to me

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28105 on: September 11, 2019, 12:40:29 pm »
People saying the Government Lawyers made a basic error after the judgment they didn't ask for the ruling to be suspended until after the appeal next week.

So the Government will now be breaking the law if they don't recall Parliament.
The court said nothing was to be done until the Supreme Court makes its decision.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #28106 on: September 11, 2019, 12:44:55 pm »
Depends on the precedent really ..

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28107 on: September 11, 2019, 12:45:14 pm »
Labour putting a second referendum commitment into their manifesto might give them an edge over the Lib Dems with Remainers wanting the Tories out at all costs - but then even if Labour win power they would still have to pick a side in the referendum. 

And by Labour picking a side I mean Corbyn.

In the last referendum Cameron was Remain, but his colleagues and cabinet members were allowed to campaign for whichever side they chose.  Labour can also do that, but it's whichever side their leader chooses that will attract attention - and picking neither side is also a choice in itself.

As for whether the GE should happen before or after any possible referendum, there will be two weeks after Parliament returns to decide this issue.  I think there's enough sway in Parliament to form a GoNU that could both delay Brexit and institute a second referendum; the leavers have now dug their position in so hard, and Boris has been such a jackass, that there's sufficient consensus amongst individual MPs on taking control.  What we need to see are more Labour MPs taking a stand on the matter.

The leave campaign promised Brexit would be easy; simple to negotiate and a smooth transition out of the EU.  After three years of chaos, that has been patently shown to be utter bollocks.  Therefore the leavers need to defend their record in a second referendum.  Their unicorn promises wont wash so well a second time round imo.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28108 on: September 11, 2019, 12:47:58 pm »
Edward VIII is I think the right precedent for Johnson.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #28109 on: September 11, 2019, 12:51:21 pm »
Interesting how Tory media play this...anti Scottish Judge approach and ' ignore it ' would be manna to Scottish independece.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #28110 on: September 11, 2019, 12:52:37 pm »
Depends on the precedent really ..

She can. Not been done explicitly since 1834 though (William IV hated the government's policies) and obviously current Queen has spent her whole reign trying to avoid the monarchy getting involved in political controversy.

Offline FlashingBlade

• Organised a piss up in a brewery. Ended up in his pants with a KFC bucket. Future MP. Eats only Fish Heads and Tails. Can't spell 'DOMUM'. Now has no balls.
  • Legacy Fan
  • From a Shankly Boy to a Klopp Man
« Reply #28111 on: September 11, 2019, 12:54:29 pm »
Telegraph already has headline of ' No 10 questioning impartiality of Judges'....'England has spoken'

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #28112 on: September 11, 2019, 12:55:08 pm »
If this were anyone else - any other time - he'd already have resigned. Instead they're calling the courts biased. What the fuck is going on?

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #28113 on: September 11, 2019, 12:58:02 pm »
Going from the coverage of Prorogation Monday Night/Tuesday Morning, I reckon the Queen won't turn up for the Queen's Speech. Another kick in the teeth for Bozo.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #28114 on: September 11, 2019, 01:02:46 pm »
Edward VIII is I think the right precedent for Johnson.

I am sure the french would love to have him.......
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #28115 on: September 11, 2019, 01:08:50 pm »
I was watching bbc news ch this morning and Stephen Kinnock said that his party had more positions on brexit then the  Kama Sutra. He was saying thatt they need to stick to a position and stick to it rather then trying to cater for all interests leave/remain

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #28116 on: September 11, 2019, 01:09:44 pm »
Peston's now asking the question I asked whether Iska had heard an answer to in court.

Has any member of cabinet seen the full legal advice given to the prime minister which persuaded Johnson proroguing or suspending parliament is lawful? Julian Smith (Secretary of State for NI) asked for it, on the day cabinet was bounced into agreeing prorogation. Amber Rudd (ex-DWP) asked for it subsequently...

I am not aware that either got it. Instead they received a “trust me” from Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson. This could be a problem for him and ministers because the ministerial code, amended after Chilcott enquiry into the legality of going to war in Iraq, says that all ministers have right to see FULL legal advice - not just summaries - on all contentious issues. Will Cabinet now get the advice after today’s Court of Session judgement? For their own self-preservation perhaps they should see it, and have that deferred (ahem) robust cabinet debate on whether closing parliament is appropriate.

This will snowball on. Like Sian says, resignations should follow. And, if they don't, then I'm thinking that Parliament will have to act to remove the government - just to nip this shit in the bud.

Offline Iska

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28117 on: September 11, 2019, 01:22:30 pm »
Peston's now asking the question I asked whether Iska had heard an answer to in court.

This will snowball on. Like Sian says, resignations should follow. And, if they don't, then I'm thinking that Parliament will have to act to remove the government - just to nip this shit in the bud.
I wasn’t in there today I should clarify, I was talking about having popped in to the actual hearing.

Yes to both points in your second para.  If the Tories back him on this, and assuming the Supreme Court doesn’t exonerate him, then the rule of law itself is up for grabs, and that might have to be at a General Election.  The stakes are about as high as they can be right now.

Offline Machae

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28118 on: September 11, 2019, 01:24:38 pm »
Well to be honest in any other times this would be a massive abuse of power and resignations would follow but as is the case with Trump, for Brexit at least, all rule books and normal conventions no longer apply and people seem to do what they please.

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #28119 on: September 11, 2019, 01:30:42 pm »
Perhaps we're seeing another reason for Rudds hasty exit?
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.