Author Topic: Arsenal  (Read 5736400 times)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: General Arsenal Thread - Wenger Gone - Unai Emery appointed
« Reply #52040 on: February 24, 2019, 09:42:14 pm »
Was indeed, still well in the hunt for top 4, that's all we can ask for at this stage. In fact, what's really weird, is if we beat Bournemouth at home midweek, & somehow Chelsea beat Spurs, then we would only be 4 points behind them going into the derby next week. Would be unthinkable that we could beat them next week & go only 1 point behind them!  ;D

You have one job. Finish ahead of the Mancs. Get it done

:)

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #52041 on: February 24, 2019, 10:49:31 pm »
You have one job. Finish ahead of the Mancs. Get it done

:)

I'd be happy with that. Being greedy I'm secretly hoping for a Spurs collapse as well. Especially after Talksport had them in the title race on Thursday there.  ;D

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52042 on: February 24, 2019, 10:58:59 pm »
I'd be happy with that. Being greedy I'm secretly hoping for a Spurs collapse as well. Especially after Talksport had them in the title race on Thursday there.  ;D

That would be an added bonus.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52043 on: February 25, 2019, 08:15:56 am »
I hope Spurs destroy Chelsea in midweek, if Chelsea go into spiral then it could come down to us against Man utd at home in a couple of weeks for that 4th place. We would have taken this position before the start of the season.

Offline blacksun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52044 on: February 25, 2019, 08:32:09 am »
I hope Spurs destroy Chelsea in midweek, if Chelsea go into spiral then it could come down to us against Man utd at home in a couple of weeks for that 4th place. We would have taken this position before the start of the season.

Nah a nice draw works better, Spurs drop more points and fall away looking over their shoulder more than they are looking at us would be preferable, Chelsea also dropping points works for you too :)

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52045 on: February 25, 2019, 08:41:59 am »
Nah a nice draw works better, Spurs drop more points and fall away looking over their shoulder more than they are looking at us would be preferable, Chelsea also dropping points works for you too :)

Spurs never had a chance of winning the league and Saturday just confirmed it, but yes I would take a draw.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52046 on: February 25, 2019, 10:59:59 am »

It's a tough 1 actually what would be best. I can see arguments for all results that would benefit us. I had just automatically assumed Spurs were out of reach, but the fact that if we beat Bournemouth & Chelsea beat Spurs we could be playing the derby next week for the chance to go within a point of them is very enticing.

I suppose the main thing is that we keep doing our job as best we can, & that means being more competitive & assertive in our away games especially.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52047 on: February 25, 2019, 02:13:55 pm »
It's a tough 1 actually what would be best. I can see arguments for all results that would benefit us. I had just automatically assumed Spurs were out of reach, but the fact that if we beat Bournemouth & Chelsea beat Spurs we could be playing the derby next week for the chance to go within a point of them is very enticing.

I suppose the main thing is that we keep doing our job as best we can, & that means being more competitive & assertive in our away games especially.

You have to back Chelsea, don't you? As much as it might be distasteful to do so.  Chelsea are all over the place, their £75m keeper doesn't like the manager but is undroppable, the team lacks any sort of verve and their best player is on his way out of the club.  If we can't keep a lead over them in the last 10 games of the season when they're in this state then we don't deserve a CL place.

Spurs on the other hand just have Kane back, aren't playing well but are grinding out results with Son, Eriksen and their keeper being especially consistent.  Chelsea beats Spurs, we beat them in the Derby (which, lets be honest, will be an ask the way the defence is playing this season) and they're down to 3-4 points ahead with 8 games to go.

Bigger picture however and it is looking a bit dodgy, with Lacazette out of the Europa tie, the forward line misfiring, Ozil (kind of?) perpetually benched as well as a shocking defence where the best partnership is probably an old Montreal and the constantly injured Koscielny.  I can't see the team consistent enough in the league at the moment to pull this off and secure a top 4 finish ahead of Utd and Chelsea - it's going to come down to how far the Europe campaigns go and there's a good chance United will have the initiative after PSG finish with them.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52048 on: February 25, 2019, 02:34:01 pm »
- it's going to come down to how far the Europe campaigns go and there's a good chance United will have the initiative after PSG finish with them.

They got difficult fixtures and a piled up injury list. Imo they're going to struggle

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52049 on: February 25, 2019, 02:34:07 pm »
You have to back Chelsea, don't you? As much as it might be distasteful to do so.  Chelsea are all over the place, their £75m keeper doesn't like the manager but is undroppable, the team lacks any sort of verve and their best player is on his way out of the club.  If we can't keep a lead over them in the last 10 games of the season when they're in this state then we don't deserve a CL place.

Spurs on the other hand just have Kane back, aren't playing well but are grinding out results with Son, Eriksen and their keeper being especially consistent.  Chelsea beats Spurs, we beat them in the Derby (which, lets be honest, will be an ask the way the defence is playing this season) and they're down to 3-4 points ahead with 8 games to go.

Bigger picture however and it is looking a bit dodgy, with Lacazette out of the Europa tie, the forward line misfiring, Ozil (kind of?) perpetually benched as well as a shocking defence where the best partnership is probably an old Montreal and the constantly injured Koscielny.  I can't see the team consistent enough in the league at the moment to pull this off and secure a top 4 finish ahead of Utd and Chelsea - it's going to come down to how far the Europe campaigns go and there's a good chance United will have the initiative after PSG finish with them.

Mate, if Chelsea beat Spurs & we beat Bournemouth there's 4 points between us & Spurs, meaning that if we manage to beat Spurs somehow (again not something I'm confident in doing), then they would only be a point ahead.

As for the bigger picture, we need to get more robust in our defending if we are to put any sort of run together, & for me, that means going with our 2 most reliable central defenders & trying to forge a partnership, the 1 partnership we've been unable to play this season, & that's Koscielny & Sokratis. If both are in any sort of form they should be good enough to give us a more solid platform.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 02:37:04 pm by ScottishGoon »

Online sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52050 on: February 25, 2019, 08:51:11 pm »
I see Abou Diaby has retired. Some player on his day but blighted by injury. I remember a game when Arsenal beat us 2-0 at Anfield a few years back when he was unplayable, almost Vieiraesque.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #52051 on: February 25, 2019, 08:55:44 pm »
He always used to get back fit in time to play us too, that first half of the CL 4-2 win he was unplayable.
AHA!

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52052 on: February 26, 2019, 10:58:26 am »
Mate, if Chelsea beat Spurs & we beat Bournemouth there's 4 points between us & Spurs, meaning that if we manage to beat Spurs somehow (again not something I'm confident in doing), then they would only be a point ahead.

As for the bigger picture, we need to get more robust in our defending if we are to put any sort of run together, & for me, that means going with our 2 most reliable central defenders & trying to forge a partnership, the 1 partnership we've been unable to play this season, & that's Koscielny & Sokratis. If both are in any sort of form they should be good enough to give us a more solid platform.

Oh!  That's better than I thought, the Spurs game is the big one really and as much as I'm usually confident of a result against these, in recent seasons the defence has seemed to be progressively more leaky! 

Unfortunately the defensive shambles is also what is going to hamper a successful Europa run - the forward line is top class when in form, but behind that it gets progressively more shaky.  I did see that Leno (according to the stats) has been playing as one of the best players in the league when it comes to stops vs xG, which for  a new signing is a welcome finding - but so many of those chances conceded are far too good for an elite team.  Strangely enough I forgot all about Sokratis, he's been fairly good and frankly anything to stop Mustafi from playing.  He seems to be the sort of defender who you sub on to play up front, because his reading of the game and willingness to slice in makes me believe there isn't a lot going on up top - the opposite of cool and calm.  It would make sense to sell him raise funds, but as per usual high wages may be a sticking point.

Offline Ashburton

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52053 on: February 26, 2019, 11:00:32 am »
I see Abou Diaby has retired. Some player on his day but blighted by injury. I remember a game when Arsenal beat us 2-0 at Anfield a few years back when he was unplayable, almost Vieiraesque.

Shame, he was absolutely top class for a bit, quick, strong, great touch, vision and had a sweet shot on him.  Had a superb grasp of space around him and it almost makes it all the worse than he had over 40 injuries with us, to the point where he refused to take any pay as he wasn't getting in the squad.  I very much doubt you'll see many pros do that.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52054 on: February 26, 2019, 11:33:51 am »

Mustafi is the 1st name I'd try & sell as well. If we need to raise funds & we want to rejig the defence, selling him if we can & probably Chambers makes sense. I have my own views on how I'd reshape the defence, which might be controversial, but if Wan Bisakka is available and wants to stay in London as is being reported then I'd make him priority even over a central defender (told you it was controversial). I just think we don't have any good defenders at full back & lose a lot of goals because of that. Of course, a lot will depend on budget & if we make the Champions League next season.

I remember that game well as well, he was a monster that day. Had such high hopes for him but his ankle never recovered from that horror tackle at Sunderland. At the risk of getting all misty eyed, we've been robbed of a few good players prime through injury, Diaby, Eduardo, Wilshere, Rosicky, Vermaelen. Even Cazorla, & Van Persie to an extent. Ramsey the only 1 to come back to the level that he was close to before. The old "oh what might have been".  :-[

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52055 on: March 2, 2019, 02:53:44 pm »
Gutted with that today, 2 points dropped for lots of reasons!  :butt :no :butt

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52056 on: March 2, 2019, 08:54:13 pm »
Gutted with that today, 2 points dropped for lots of reasons!  :butt :no :butt

Same here, but positive overall, we got some really bad players and still looking half decent. Plenty of encouraging signs, I think a back 3 , with new defenders in the summer, is the way forward. Still in a chance for 4th and must be one of the best 3-4 teams left in EL so it hasn't been the write off season I was prepared for.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52057 on: March 2, 2019, 09:01:10 pm »
Same here, but positive overall, we got some really bad players and still looking half decent. Plenty of encouraging signs, I think a back 3 , with new defenders in the summer, is the way forward. Still in a chance for 4th and must be one of the best 3-4 teams left in EL so it hasn't been the write off season I was prepared for.

Two bad penalty decisions. One taken, one missed.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52058 on: March 2, 2019, 09:14:55 pm »
You were robbed really lads. Some really poor officiating cost you. Spurs were shite.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52059 on: March 2, 2019, 10:18:06 pm »
to be honest, this season = progress; regardless of whether we finish in the top 4 or not.

Offline Runehammer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #52060 on: March 3, 2019, 09:19:16 am »
Watched the match yesterday and have to admit I was absolutely wrong in saying Koscielny was done at this level after his injury, happy to be wrong and delighted for him, he was excellent yesterday.  How you guys dropped points there is a bit of a mystery tho'!

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52061 on: March 3, 2019, 09:37:57 am »

It's certainly an option. Think I mentioned in the previous page that i think the Koscielny / Sokratis has the makings of a very decent partnership, & we've only just begun to see it over the last couple of games. If funds are limited I'd be tempted to stick with those for next season & strengthen the full backs instead. As long as Mustafi isn't in the team, I'm so sick of his brain farts now. It is nice to be well in the hunt for top 4 though.

to be honest, this season = progress; regardless of whether we finish in the top 4 or not.

That's true. Top 4 isn't essential in terms of our progress, but as we are on a limited budget now it would certainly help in team / squad building in the next window or 2. It might allow us to obtain a higher calibre of player as well in the positions we need strengthening.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52062 on: March 7, 2019, 10:38:31 pm »
Looks like monchi is off to arsenal, great hire that

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #52063 on: March 8, 2019, 09:14:07 am »

Depends which one they get I guess! I'm sure they are hoping for Sevilla version rather than Roma version.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52064 on: March 8, 2019, 02:45:49 pm »

Seems like its a formality now. An appointment that makes a lot of sense on paper, let's see how it plays out. They have a big summer ahead.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52065 on: March 10, 2019, 04:50:08 pm »
Arse 1-0 up, I hope they get third place, can't see it happening though unfortunately
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52066 on: March 10, 2019, 04:54:16 pm »
Arse 1-0 up, I hope they get third place, can't see it happening though unfortunately
right now they’re a point off spurs if this holds and arsenal don’t have a top 6 opponent where spurs have us and city

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52067 on: March 10, 2019, 06:44:58 pm »
Will take that, nice to inflict their first league defeat under the great Ole.

Still not sure how we'll fare re top 4, we are just so poor away from home it's hard to see us not dropping points at the likes of Wolves, Everton & Leicester.

Still, couldn't have hand picked a better set of results this weekend, will happily take a couple more weeks of that.

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52068 on: March 10, 2019, 07:04:56 pm »
Will be disappointed if we don’t get 4th from here. Will need Liverpool.... and Man City, to do us favours.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52069 on: March 10, 2019, 07:47:00 pm »
Will be disappointed if we don’t get 4th from here. Will need Liverpool.... and Man City, to do us favours.

Shame you couldnt do us a favor but I am hoping that City dont do you lot any favors. Finish in the top 4 without United and Spurs losing to that lot please

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52070 on: March 10, 2019, 08:11:44 pm »
12 points better off than this time last year.

Offline Bullet500

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52071 on: March 10, 2019, 10:39:43 pm »
yes, I think we are in a good position to get 4th from here.

But we do have some fixtures which seeing our away form, are tricky.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52072 on: March 11, 2019, 08:42:55 am »
I think you'll get top4. Spurs definitely will be out of top4.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline FCukBarca Haw-Haw

• Anny Roader
« Reply #52073 on: March 11, 2019, 08:53:29 am »
Some interesting stories to finish the league race apart from Liverpool & City, the top 4 battle - 4 clubs battling for 2 spots.

On form you have to like United's chances since Chelsea & Arsenal have had some odd hiccups in terms of form while Spurs are not much better.

If Arsenal crash out of Europa, then one less competition to be 'worried about' while the other 3 will have extra matches to contend with and theoretically play in their favor.  Best thing is that it means every match will have heightened stakes which is a win for the neutral football fan

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #52074 on: March 11, 2019, 09:09:59 am »
All things considered - getting 4th in Emery’s first season in charge is would be a big success imo.

Offline FCukBarca Haw-Haw

• Anny Roader
« Reply #52075 on: March 11, 2019, 09:22:12 am »
All things considered - getting 4th in Emery’s first season in charge is would be a big success imo.

Definitely and will certainly underscore the poor job Mou did at United

Offline The North Bank

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52076 on: March 11, 2019, 12:37:36 pm »

We arguably have the 6th best squad so it would be a very good job done to get 4th. It would add crucial funds to the defence building in the summer.

Leno has been amazing in the last 2 games, some world class saves against spurs and united, wrote off far too quickly by many. I don't understand why Cech has been starting in EL, would not be 2 goals down for Thursday if Leno had played. Hoping we can still turn that around, but I would take 3 points next league games instead.

Offline ScottishGoon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52077 on: March 11, 2019, 01:45:44 pm »
We arguably have the 6th best squad so it would be a very good job done to get 4th. It would add crucial funds to the defence building in the summer.

Leno has been amazing in the last 2 games, some world class saves against spurs and united, wrote off far too quickly by many. I don't understand why Cech has been starting in EL, would not be 2 goals down for Thursday if Leno had played. Hoping we can still turn that around, but I would take 3 points next league games instead.

I didn't really understand the criticism of Leno, even on here I was trying to defend him. I don't think he's the worlds best keeper by any means, & he obviously has things he needs to work on, but he's saved us on many occasions this season. Considering it's his first season as well, I think he's done well.

It's frustrating to think if Aubameyang had scored that last minute penalty at Spurs last week we would already be ahead of them into 3rd. I'm hoping that doesn't prove crucial.

Think qualifying for the top 4 would mean more to us in terms of squad building than the other teams. For some reason our budget seems really limited, we need to do all we can to maximise that for further building. You wouldnt think Utd & Chelsea's budget would change much missing out on top 4, it seems to have much more an effect on us.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #52078 on: March 11, 2019, 01:47:01 pm »
Leno seems to misjudge the flight of crosses really badly on occasion but yeah over the course of the season he's been pretty steady for ye and a good acquisition.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52079 on: March 11, 2019, 02:20:13 pm »
Think qualifying for the top 4 would mean more to us in terms of squad building than the other teams. For some reason our budget seems really limited, we need to do all we can to maximise that for further building. You wouldnt think Utd & Chelsea's budget would change much missing out on top 4, it seems to have much more an effect on us.

I think missing out would be huge for spurs, financially they're already stretched and I'm sure if they drop out one or two players could try to force their way out.