Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12298328 times)

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Youth and Under 23 Thread
« Reply #102720 on: February 28, 2021, 05:20:04 am »
Nice to see the Reds U18s beat the Shite 2-1 today.  8)

Liverpool 1-0 up after 28 seconds but the Bitters equalised via a penalty in stoppage time at the end of the game.

We bagged the winner in the 4th minute of stoppage time to break bitter blue hearts.

LiVARpool even in the youth setup. Ooops..thought i was posting in GOT :P

on a serious note. at least our youth are doing well enough and progressing. Hope to see a replacement for o neil though. Our youth coaching set up have been a revolving door past few years. Hope to get some stability soon.

Looking at it another angle means, our youth players could go play in the lower leagues with familiarity of the coach they are playing under.

Offline cdav

• Is Melissa Reddy. Confirmed by himself. (Probably not though, he's a much better writer.)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102721 on: March 2, 2021, 09:36:53 am »
Nice to see Layton Stewart has scored a couple now for the u23s, seems to be finding his feet and getting good game time at that level.

Know a little less about the 18s, but by the sound of things there seems to be a few decent youngsters knocking about. Frauendorf, Corness, Musialowski, Mabaya etc, and the new lad Gordon who I think is only 16. Anybody seen much of them recently? Can never seem to find the games anywhere.

Its interesting that we seem to have put a real recruitment drive into signing some big talents for the u18s. Frauendorf,  Musialowski and Gordon all seem really highly rated

Any reason why we are focussing on this age group- is it the cost increases sharply for over 18s?

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102722 on: March 2, 2021, 09:46:43 am »
Probably a mix of only taking on a few first year scholars this year from within the academy and the changes to u18 recruitment following Brexit. Plus we're always adding players.

Year before it was Bradley, Koumetio and Elliott (technically although obviously was promised he'd not be with our u18s) plus some goalkeepers as always.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102723 on: March 2, 2021, 10:46:15 pm »
Interesting article in the Echo today quoting a scout watching the recent U18s match, suggested Frauendorf was the best player on the pitch by a long way.  Hadn’t seen him as a standout before.   Goes to show that watching it on tv - or only the 10 min highlights in this case, really doesn’t give you the whole pic.  Also interesting, watching the highlights, because someone on here recently said Neil Mellor (or similar) commenting on an earlier game suggested Musialowski dribbles too much.  Well he tried that in extra time, which led to a quick counter and us conceding a pen to level the score in extra time.  Very good job the same player got on the end of an even later chance to win it.  He’ll learn, n
But he is fun to watch

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102724 on: March 3, 2021, 04:22:11 pm »
Interesting article in the Echo today quoting a scout watching the recent U18s match, suggested Frauendorf was the best player on the pitch by a long way.  Hadn’t seen him as a standout before.   Goes to show that watching it on tv - or only the 10 min highlights in this case, really doesn’t give you the whole pic.  Also interesting, watching the highlights, because someone on here recently said Neil Mellor (or similar) commenting on an earlier game suggested Musialowski dribbles too much.  Well he tried that in extra time, which led to a quick counter and us conceding a pen to level the score in extra time.  Very good job the same player got on the end of an even later chance to win it.  He’ll learn, n
But he is fun to watch
Any link to that article in the echo mate?

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102725 on: March 3, 2021, 04:27:12 pm »

Its interesting that we seem to have put a real recruitment drive into signing some big talents for the u18s. Frauendorf,  Musialowski and Gordon all seem really highly rated

Any reason why we are focussing on this age group- is it the cost increases sharply for over 18s?
For 18 or over its not ideal to sign academy players. At the moment in the Premier League, clubs need at least eight homegrown players out of a squad of 25 with talks this may go up to 12. To be classified as homegrown a player must be at the team for at least three years before the age of twenty-one.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #102726 on: March 3, 2021, 04:32:11 pm »
U23s beat Accrington Stanley 5-1 in a friendly this afternoon. Hardy and Fidel got two each and Billy the Kid got one.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Kenneth80

• Boys Pen
« Reply #102727 on: March 6, 2021, 11:29:42 am »
Anyone know why the youth game between Liverpool and Man Utd is not shown?

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102728 on: March 6, 2021, 11:38:48 am »
Anyone know why the youth game between Liverpool and Man Utd is not shown?

No idea.  Annoying really.  But Ian Doyle of the Echo providing some tweets (mainly about the Man U no 9 being hugely wasteful so far), also Neil Jones.  Good that Balagizi is back from injury

Offline Kenneth80

• Boys Pen
« Reply #102729 on: March 6, 2021, 11:40:54 am »
No idea.  Annoying really.  But Ian Doyle of the Echo providing some tweets (mainly about the Man U no 9 being hugely wasteful so far), also Neil Jones.  Good that Balagizi is back from injury
Really annoying, yeah...

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102730 on: March 6, 2021, 11:53:14 am »
We're on the back pitch mate with no TV podium there I believe.
https://twitter.com/AndyK_LivNews/status/1368152897532346368?s=19

Pretty sure they've shown matches from that pitch before (including against Manchester United) and doesn't explain why they'd put it on that pitch, but it's the only explanation I've seen

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #102731 on: March 6, 2021, 12:00:44 pm »
We're on the back pitch mate with no TV podium there I believe.
https://twitter.com/AndyK_LivNews/status/1368152897532346368?s=19

Pretty sure they've shown matches from that pitch before (including against Manchester United) and doesn't explain why they'd put it on that pitch, but it's the only explanation I've seen

They have been really strange with some of their youth match coverages this season, it's not even on the LFC website either a really strange call this one.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102732 on: March 7, 2021, 02:00:23 pm »
This is getting a little depressing.  Now the U23s are losing 3-0 at half time.  Quite glad the youth games  aren,t being shown live this weekend.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102733 on: March 7, 2021, 04:04:35 pm »
This is getting a little depressing.  Now the U23s are losing 3-0 at half time.  Quite glad the youth games  aren,t being shown live this weekend.

Seems like they’ve been horrible this season.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102734 on: March 7, 2021, 04:25:06 pm »
Seems like they’ve been horrible this season.
Not really. It's just the way u23 football is. Looking at the table which might not be updated, but We're 6 points off 2nd with the same number of games played. No real consistent line ups, missing players to be around the first team squad, trying to get game time to younger players, players hanging round who probably don't want to be there. Always creates an hard to predict season for teams.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102735 on: March 7, 2021, 04:27:26 pm »
Not really. It's just the way u23 football is. Looking at the table which might not be updated, but We're 6 points off 2nd with the same number of games played. No real consistent line ups, missing players to be around the first team squad, trying to get game time to younger players, players hanging round who probably don't want to be there. Always creates an hard to predict season for teams.

Oh fair enough, don’t think we should pay attention too much to results anyways, just mostly the players development.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102736 on: March 9, 2021, 08:09:06 pm »
My hopes for Harvey Elliott are climbing to unsustainable levels
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102737 on: March 9, 2021, 08:55:01 pm »
My hopes for Harvey Elliott are climbing to unsustainable levels
Did he look good when he came on? Second game in a row starting on the bench.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102738 on: March 10, 2021, 02:24:17 am »
Did he look good when he came on? Second game in a row starting on the bench.

Sorry wasn’t actually watching Blackburn tonight, was reacting to a clip of him lobbing GK from the other half in training. Was more observing in dire times those that are absent tend to be seen through rose tinted glasses. In addition to genuinely being a thrilling prospect.

A quick check of BRFCS and it would seem his form has indeed cooled off dramatically, although sounds like neither is the manager exactly putting on masterclasses in managing a 17 year old.
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #102739 on: March 12, 2021, 10:43:59 am »
U23s playing bottom side West Ham on Saturday at 4. They look awful so should be a decent chance for our lads to pick up after that Derby County defeat.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102740 on: March 13, 2021, 04:03:54 pm »
Good win for the U18s, 3-0 away to Newcastle.  And good to see Luke Chambers play some minutes returning from injury. 

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #102741 on: March 13, 2021, 04:43:47 pm »
U23s 1-1. Conor Bradley for our goal I think. 42 mins on clock

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102742 on: March 13, 2021, 05:26:47 pm »
It looks like Layton Stewart has a serious injury looks in a lot of pain. Just been given oxygen. 😔

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102743 on: March 13, 2021, 05:30:56 pm »
It looks like Layton Stewart has a serious injury looks in a lot of pain. Just been given oxygen. 😔

And an ambulance waiting too 😔

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102744 on: March 13, 2021, 05:33:03 pm »
And an ambulance waiting too 😔

Ended last season with an injury as well he’s had rotten luck. Gone straight to hospital.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #102745 on: March 13, 2021, 05:40:04 pm »
 :(
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102746 on: March 13, 2021, 05:41:36 pm »
Ended last season with an injury as well he’s had rotten luck. Gone straight to hospital.

Just as he had started to settle in nicely with the older age group, scoring goals and finding his place in the squad.

I've seen so many of our really promising young players over the last 10yrs or so get serious injuries that they never quite recover from, let's hope this isn't another one.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102747 on: March 13, 2021, 06:01:30 pm »
The game ends up 1-1, sadly overshadowed by Stewart’s injury. Best of luck to the lad in his recovery. According to Neil Jones it's the right knee, looks like he twisted it and fell very awkwardly.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 06:50:31 pm by jillc »

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102748 on: March 14, 2021, 04:42:34 am »
hopefully layton injury nothing to severe. think he is quite highly rated as made on the bench for some matches.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #102749 on: March 14, 2021, 07:32:23 am »
Really bad news about Layton Stewart. He seems a star in the making. Get well soon lad! YNWA
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #102750 on: March 14, 2021, 01:19:55 pm »
Really shit news if he's done his knee, one of the brightest prospects in the youth teams.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102751 on: March 14, 2021, 01:32:48 pm »
Really shit news if he's done his knee, one of the brightest prospects in the youth teams.

The way he collapsed I can't see it being anything else sadly, horrible incident. It has to be said nothing wrong with what the West Ham player did, just an horrible landing for Layton.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #102752 on: March 14, 2021, 04:52:23 pm »
ACL rupture confirmed by the club

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #102753 on: March 14, 2021, 04:55:47 pm »

FFS.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102754 on: March 14, 2021, 04:57:00 pm »
Hope his recovery goes well, but awful timing for him. Could have been part of preseason and Europa squads if we ended up there.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102755 on: March 14, 2021, 04:57:52 pm »
Such rotten luck for poor Layton.  :(

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #102756 on: March 14, 2021, 05:00:06 pm »
As a club we must have the most amount of ACL ruptures out of anyone. It's ridiculous the amount of our players that injure their knee.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline HopefulRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102757 on: March 14, 2021, 05:33:38 pm »
As a club we must have the most amount of ACL ruptures out of anyone. It's ridiculous the amount of our players that injure their knee.

Yes, same as Tom Hill I think.  Another promising player.  Wonder when we’ll see him again.  Feels like he has been out a long time already

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #102758 on: March 14, 2021, 07:54:41 pm »
Hope his recovery goes well, but awful timing for him. Could have been part of preseason and Europa squads if we ended up there.

He will still be part of the Europa squad if we end up there as hes under 21 but it's just awful luck for the him as he was sending out the look at me messages to Klopp and the 1st team squad.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #102759 on: March 14, 2021, 08:40:53 pm »
He will still be part of the Europa squad if we end up there as hes under 21 but it's just awful luck for the him as he was sending out the look at me messages to Klopp and the 1st team squad.
Meant match day squads. Can't imagine him being back and playing before the group games end