Author Topic: PL: Liverpool 3 vs 1 Wolves Neto ‘3 Mane ‘24 Salah ‘84 Robbo ‘89  (Read 34280 times)

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: PL: Liverpool 3 vs 1 Wolves Neto ‘3 Mane ‘24 Salah ‘84 Robbo ‘89
« Reply #720 on: May 23, 2022, 03:00:06 pm »
We are forever cursed when it comes to these title races. 2009 and the Macheda winner, 2014 and the Gerrard slip, 2019 and the Kompany winner and now yesterday with City coming back from 0-2 with 3 goals in 5 minutes.

For once in most of our lifetimes, can we please have the joy of coming out on top in a close title battle!?

Sick of our hard luck. We make up for it with the margins going for us in the CL, but we have some rotten luck when it comes to the league.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #721 on: May 23, 2022, 03:03:03 pm »
We are forever cursed when it comes to these title races. 2009 and the Macheda winner, 2014 and the Gerrard slip, 2019 and the Kompany winner and now yesterday with City coming back from 0-2 with 3 goals in 5 minutes.

For once in most of our lifetimes, can we please have the joy of coming out on top in a close title battle!?

Sick of our hard luck. We make up for it with the margins going for us in the CL, but we have some rotten luck when it comes to the league.
It’s disappointing to miss out by such a fine margin, but only the Gerrard one out of those is bad luck.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #722 on: May 23, 2022, 03:06:28 pm »

Can add '89 in there too (not that I'm old enough to remember)

It is true that we don't tend to have easier routes to the title in our teams' up years (like, for example Spurs had - the year Leicester won it)

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupι Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #723 on: May 23, 2022, 03:08:06 pm »

It is true that we don't tend to have easier routes to the title in our teams' up years (like, for example Spurs had - the year Leicester won it)

It wasn’t bad luck in 1989, it was having to play so many games post Hillsborough.

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #724 on: May 23, 2022, 03:14:04 pm »

I'd add to that can we please have a comfortable win in a cup competition final.  Any cup.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #725 on: May 23, 2022, 03:31:56 pm »
It wasn’t bad luck in 1989, it was having to play so many games post Hillsborough.

Indeed.

I didn't realise initially that the context was luck, I skimmed and thought it was about tight finishes.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #726 on: May 23, 2022, 03:40:29 pm »
It’s disappointing to miss out by such a fine margin, but only the Gerrard one out of those is bad luck.

I dunno. Macheda and Kompany both picking out absolute screamers for the first and only times in their career I'd say was a tad unlucky for us.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #727 on: May 23, 2022, 03:42:30 pm »
I dunno. Macheda and Kompany both picking out absolute screamers for the first and only times in their career I'd say was a tad unlucky for us.

i think with both of those though we were the chasers from march onwards [prob earlier in the case of macheda]. Same with yesterday. 2014 we were in the  absolute box seat.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #728 on: May 23, 2022, 03:43:53 pm »
i think with both of those though we were the chasers from march onwards [prob earlier in the case of macheda]. Same with yesterday. 2014 we were in the  absolute box seat.
No we weren't. Chelsea were.

We then went on an insane run of victories in a row. We were never in an absolute box seat position.

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #729 on: May 23, 2022, 03:51:31 pm »
It was fun but can’t help feeling a bit disappointed.

But then I remember ALL pundits predicted we would finish 3rd or below and in the case of Gary Neville  had us at 4th below United.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #730 on: May 23, 2022, 03:52:29 pm »
It was fun but can’t help feeling a bit disappointed.

But then I remember ALL pundits predicted we would finish 3rd or below and in the case of Gary Neville  had us at 4th below United.

Many had us outside the top 4.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #731 on: May 23, 2022, 03:54:25 pm »
Let's face it most clubs in the league would bite your hand off for a season in which they win both domestic cups.

Not most. All clubs in fact.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #732 on: May 23, 2022, 03:57:57 pm »
That’s not bad luck. They both just scored great goals, unaided by deflections or anything else unforeseen.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #733 on: May 23, 2022, 04:04:20 pm »
That’s not bad luck. They both just scored great goals, unaided by deflections or anything else unforeseen.

Its bad luck that a player who has never done anything like it before or since suddenly popped up with an absolute worldie. That suggests that its not something they have the ability to do on an anything like consistent basis, so its pretty unlucky that both instances were in must win games for our rivals late on. If Tyrone Mings had scored an overhead kick from 30 yards out in injury time yesterday to rescue the draw I'd say we've been pretty lucky there.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #734 on: May 23, 2022, 04:08:28 pm »
Think you're being a bit too literal. Substitute poor fortune in for bad luck

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #735 on: May 23, 2022, 04:09:10 pm »
Its bad luck that a player who has never done anything like it before or since suddenly popped up with an absolute worldie. That suggests that its not something they have the ability to do on an anything like consistent basis, so its pretty unlucky that both instances were in must win games for our rivals late on. If Tyrone Mings had scored an overhead kick from 30 yards out in injury time yesterday to rescue the draw I'd say we've been pretty lucky there.

The Macheda one, yeah.

The Kompany one was in like the 60/70th minute, even if he hadn’t have scored it you’d have backed City to find a way. What was far more unlucky about that game was Ihenacho missing that sitter at the end, although even then I wouldn’t write City off finding another goal if they needed to.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #736 on: May 23, 2022, 04:41:07 pm »
No we weren't. Chelsea were.

We then went on an insane run of victories in a row. We were never in an absolute box seat position.

On the day we played chelsea in 2014 if we drew and beat crystal palace [away] then newcastle at home we would have won the league.

in every other title race mentioned, we have been the chasing party and required a 'favour' from another club.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #737 on: May 23, 2022, 05:07:22 pm »
On the day we played chelsea in 2014 if we drew and beat crystal palace [away] then newcastle at home we would have won the league.

in every other title race mentioned, we have been the chasing party and required a 'favour' from another club.

With 10 games left, Chelsea were top. Four points ahead of both us and Arsenal. Man City were six back, with two games in hand.

For me being in the box seat means coming into the final stages of the season with a big lead. That wasn't us. Only team (if any) it applies to for me is Chelsea, who badly capitulated, while we went on a record breaking run with a team completely bandaged together at the seams.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #738 on: May 23, 2022, 05:12:48 pm »
A bit cruel that the Swedish commentators of the Liverpool game said nothing about the result after Villa were 2-0 up, and then suddenly a pop-up said 3-2. Viaplay must have gotten some angry messages yesterday.

At least we were never ahead, which adds minor consolation.

Fair play (errr) to City for clinching it. They all know they are sportwashed.

How they let in 3 goals in five minutes though.  ::)
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #739 on: May 23, 2022, 05:15:17 pm »
Anyone saying a word of criticism about this team are completely off their heads and truly misguided. Klopp has put together the greatest team and league runs this club has ever seen. It is because of that an the fact we have been cheated out of league titles that makes it so unbearable to swallow.

The tribal nature of the game means nobody cares as long as it’s not happening to them, in fact lots of rival teams will revel in it. I used to sneer at some of the old boys when they’d talk about falling out of love with what the game has become but after having to watch Klopp an this team have yet another title taken away by a cheating, sports washing regime it’s hard to just brush that off.

I can lose all day long and be happy that it has happened to a better team, or luckier or whatever, but by a team who has cheated their way there, it just stinks and it makes me feel like a complete fucking idiot to even bother and have to swallow one of the greatest managers in history have his trophy haul diluted by cheats.

Sure I will get over it all but it’s another year where I’ve definitely lost something as I am sure many others will have too and one thing seems certain with the Saudis and Qatar now taking the piss even more is that nothing has been or will ever be done about it. If a competition isn’t remotely fair then what’s the fucking point.

Been plenty of great teams and league and cup runs in our history.

This is a special time, as were all the others.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #740 on: May 23, 2022, 05:17:51 pm »
With 10 games left, Chelsea were top. Four points ahead of both us and Arsenal. Man City were six back, with two games in hand.

For me being in the box seat means coming into the final stages of the season with a big lead. That wasn't us. Only team (if any) it applies to for me is Chelsea, who badly capitulated, while we went on a record breaking run with a team completely bandaged together at the seams.

I'm not sure anyone will remember Chelsea's 'capitulation' in 2014 in quite the same way they'll remember Liverpool's my friend but good luck to you.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #741 on: May 23, 2022, 05:28:56 pm »
I'm not sure anyone will remember Chelsea's 'capitulation' in 2014 in quite the same way they'll remember Liverpool's my friend but good luck to you.

What do I care if people remember it? It's facts mate.

I view that as more of a capitulation (especially given their squad and managers experience and depth) than coming second place to sportswashers narrowly, after putting up an unsustainable record number of wins with a side that lacked any depth and even quality in some places.

Like Klopp says "If you want to win big, you must be prepared to lose big as well." That means in 13-14 being the team remembered as not getting it over the line, but only the ignorant think it was a Liverpool capitulation.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #742 on: May 23, 2022, 05:34:28 pm »
Thought we were pretty bad yesterday (particularly Konatι who had his first bad game for us) and Wolves were very good, but we still found a way to win clearly. Great fight, great heart. Up the Reds.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #743 on: May 23, 2022, 05:35:27 pm »

They lost to Sunderland and some other shite didn't they? The week when Connor Wickham became prime Pele.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #744 on: May 23, 2022, 05:36:57 pm »
Thought we were pretty bad yesterday (particularly Konatι who had his first bad game for us) and Wolves were very good, but we still found a way to win clearly. Great fight, great heart. Up the Reds.

Partly due to them all being knackered, maybe partly due to Fab being out - and a LOT to do with Virg being out and Joel/Ibrahim almost never playing together - but we got caught out a lot. Alisson made one absolute worldie of a save 1vs1 with the Wolves lad and they had a few other chances. There's definitely a version of yesterday where we were lucky not to be 2-0/2-1 down at halftime.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #745 on: May 23, 2022, 05:37:03 pm »
They lost to Sunderland and some other shite didn't they? The week when Connor Wickham became prime Pele.

Think they lost to Palace at home on a Easter Saturday. Think City dropped points then too. The next day we win at Norwich...

And then I’ve gone blank.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #746 on: May 23, 2022, 06:39:53 pm »

Yeah, I've always felt like we have that bit of luck in CL instead.
City seems to be the opposite. With just slightly different bounces of the ball, they could have missed the PL title but beat Real.

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #747 on: May 23, 2022, 07:07:52 pm »
Think they lost to Palace at home on a Easter Saturday. Think City dropped points then too. The next day we win at Norwich...

And then I’ve gone blank.

Chelsea lost at Villa too (think they were down to 9 men that game).
King Kenny.

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #748 on: May 23, 2022, 07:17:57 pm »
I'm at the stage of acceptance now. Yesterday was hurt, denial and anger.

On to Paris.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #749 on: May 23, 2022, 07:53:16 pm »
If you want something to make you feel a bit better, just have a look at this shite.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsXpQAZzop0&ab_channel=ManCity
Tinpotchester City.
Wasted on them.

Offline KevLFC

• Doesn't know the offside laws
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #750 on: May 23, 2022, 09:00:40 pm »
Yesterday was weird. Probably the most tense match at Anfield for years. I thought for so long City were about to lose and and us about to draw which sounded worse than well both of us winning the match which what happened in the end. Was hoping for anything, even an own goal. Obviously City came back before we scored. Coady is annoying bugger, I swear he has the game of his life whenever we play them. I know he is an ex red, maybe still bitter that he left us and thought what might have been.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #751 on: May 23, 2022, 09:06:19 pm »
Yeah, I've always felt like we have that bit of luck in CL instead.
City seems to be the opposite. With just slightly different bounces of the ball, they could have missed the PL title but beat Real.

With just a small push of a button in a darkened room in the VAR centre,  they would have missed the PL title AND the CL.

On the other hand, with better international referee rewards program,  along with PGMOL referee rewards program, maybe both PL AND CL?

Small margins.
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline Ma Vie en Rouge

• J'aime voir...!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #752 on: May 23, 2022, 09:08:16 pm »
Made my peace with this almost as soon as it happened. This team never lets anyone down, it has been incredible year after year now, and we all know that City's victories are hollow. It's a pleasure to watch a team that is born from Klopp's ethos, that never quits, and plays with passion and style and honesty. We'll beat Madrid for number 7. This team will only be more fired up than ever now.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #753 on: May 23, 2022, 09:26:08 pm »
I'd rather come second the way we did, than win it the way they did - and they wouldn't even understand that.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline gemofabird

• Legacy Fan
The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. Because they control the minds of the masses.

Offline RayPhilAlan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #755 on: May 23, 2022, 10:19:40 pm »
I'm normally pretty positive but I dont think there was any stage when I thought we'd win the title yesterday. When Villa were 2-0 up in my head it just seemed so inevitable that we wouldnt take advantage, and once they got it back to 2-2 it was inevitable they'd go on to win.

I dont buy the 'if we'd scored earlier they'd have shit the bed'. They know how good we are, they knew full well they needed to win yesterday to stop us winning it.
Don't get this, Lobo - City know how good we are, but you didn't?

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #756 on: May 24, 2022, 10:44:14 am »
At 2-0 Villa I thought we’d win it, it just seemed unfathomable to me that we wouldn’t get the goal needed, which inevitably came (and the players certainly didn’t know that the pressure was off).

It was easier to take than I’d expected purely because I’d gone in with such little expectation in the first place that it was easier to revert back to that frame of kind, rather than , say, a cup final where it won our own hands and you know there’s a really good chance of us winning it.

Still gutting like, those 10 minutes or so where it was 2-0 were some of the maddest I’ve experienced watching a football match.

Offline damomad

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #757 on: May 24, 2022, 11:22:44 am »
Still gutting like, those 10 minutes or so where it was 2-0 were some of the maddest I’ve experienced watching a football match.

I know Klopp said that he'd rather they had of won 5-0 but it was a thrilling set of events and I don't think I'd have it another way looking back.

The most frustrating part was us never at any stage on Sunday being in the driver's seat. I wonder if it would have changed the atmosphere at City if were were 3-0 and cruising.
You're still the one pool where I'd happily drown

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #758 on: May 24, 2022, 11:25:29 am »

Careful, Killer Heels is watching!

Offline Xink

• Main Stander
« Reply #759 on: May 24, 2022, 11:47:37 am »
At 2-0 Villa I thought we’d win it, it just seemed unfathomable to me that we wouldn’t get the goal needed, which inevitably came (and the players certainly didn’t know that the pressure was off).

It was easier to take than I’d expected purely because I’d gone in with such little expectation in the first place that it was easier to revert back to that frame of kind, rather than , say, a cup final where it won our own hands and you know there’s a really good chance of us winning it.

Villa had a very decent goals conceded agasint tally before the weekend - Only 5 more than us if my memory serves me right.
To then concede 3 in 6 minutes does seem unfathomable - but then again it's City at the Etihad and Villa with a much depleted defence  so maybe not so much of a suprise....
Would things have been different if Konsa had started - if Martinez hadnt been injured - If Coutinho hadnt been taken off ? Well maybe who knows.

The good thing now is life goes on - the story is now chip shop paper and disappearing down social media sites and we dont have to play Mercenaries in the final at the weekend