Author Topic: We Go Again  (Read 18003 times)

Offline Justin Siderbox

• Ben L. T. Given.
  • Anny Roader
  • Believer
Re: We Go Again
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2014, 02:05:08 pm »
Where have I critisised Gerrard? Please tell me. He's been fantastic all year. My opinion was that he should have showed a little more calm. This is only my opinion. If it's right or wrong none of us know. No need for you lot piss yourselves.

If Keegan won the league after his Fergie rant, it would have been seen as genius. As it was, he didn't. And we didn't. So it just looks like an over-reaction to just another 3 points.

FWIW I couldn't give a shit what other fans think of us.

You draw parallels between him and others in the squad who have won championships and go on to directly refer to an over-reaction and use Keegan as a yardstick.  That sounds like (thinly veiled) criticism to me.

The "We go again" message was delivered, albeit in a public setting, in a private context.  The camera intruded at the very moment he wanted to speak to his team.  Sky were directly told it was "None of your business" in the post match interview as it was not intended for them or for broadcast. 

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  I've heard yours, you choose to suggest anyone to the contrary is over-reacting.  I think you'll find that most value Gerrard's leadership, passion for the club and desire for success.  If that sees him giving his team mates a rallying-call, public or otherwise, that's his call.  He's the captain of the club.  I doubt Rodgers or anyone behind the scenes would criticise him for that.

...and by the way, I have full control of my continence thank you, urinary and otherwise.    :wave
"It's our job that they can forget their problems for 90 minutes and then they can talk about the game, about the next game and that's how I want to live"

Jurgen Klopp
9th October 2015

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2014, 07:42:19 pm »

Nonsense. Had they won the league Keegan's rant would still be Keegan losing his cool. It wasn't designed to rally the troops, the words had no great meaning behind them. It would be mocked less, but you'd still probably laugh when you saw it just in a different way. Another key difference is that Keegan was talking to camera, Stevie didn't know the camera was there and when asked after the game he said "none of your business" when they asked what he said.

If you hadn't heard what he said, would you be blaming Gerrard for not being calm enough? What about in the dressing room - if he'd given that speech there when you wouldn't even know about it?

It's ludicrous to suggest it had any negative bearing. Chelsea was always going to be the game and we were doing OK until the Ba goal, which had nothing to do with lack of calm 2 weeks earlier. Our form in the second half of the season was W15, D3, L1.That's spectacular form (96 points a season form) and it's unrealistic to expect that that form was easy to maintain. To do it we needed focus and luck. We had one but not the other. It happens, but to want to forget all about what you concede would have been brilliant had we won the league and one that you also say had nothing to do with why we didn't win it - simply because it will be "associated" with us "bottling" it. Why does the association matter if you don't care what other fans think?

As for the poem, couldn't give a flying shite if you liked it but disappointed that you don't agree with the point it's putting across. It's clear you care more how other fans view it than what actually happened, whatever you say.

The only thing that is clear, as the rest is just my opinion v yours... Is that you're trying to tell me I care about how other fans see us. You're wrong, so do one.

The only thing I don't want to hear again is 'we go again'. He said it, at the time I loved it. We lost our grip on the PL a few games later we've finished second. I don't want to be reminded of it.

That is my reason for not wanting to hear it again. Purely hindsight. You have yours for wanting to hear it again. I'm not telling you how to think, so don't try to tell me how to.

I'll be very surprised if we hear it again, from Steven Gerrard anyway. Fans I presume, will still use it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Nah.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2014, 08:01:46 pm »
The only thing that is clear, as the rest is just my opinion v yours... Is that you're trying to tell me I care about how other fans see us. You're wrong, so do one.

The only thing I don't want to hear again is 'we go again'. He said it, at the time I loved it. We lost our grip on the PL a few games later we've finished second. I don't want to be reminded of it.

That is my reason for not wanting to hear it again. Purely hindsight. You have yours for wanting to hear it again. I'm not telling you how to think, so don't try to tell me how to.

I'll be very surprised if we hear it again, from Steven Gerrard anyway. Fans I presume, will still use it. Doesn't mean I have to like it

Do you think he planned it? Do you think it was calculated? It wasn't mate, it was completely spontaneous as the emotion & relief from a massive game poured out of our heroic captain. I really don't know what your beef is here.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2014, 09:09:12 pm »
Do you think he planned it? Do you think it was calculated? It wasn't mate, it was completely spontaneous as the emotion & relief from a massive game poured out of our heroic captain. I really don't know what your beef is here.

I have no beef with it. As I have said. Twice. Now three times.
I just don't want to hear it anymore. It reminds me of our last 3 games. I don't get how this is hard to understand.
Nah.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2014, 09:55:42 pm »

I'll be very surprised if we hear it again, from Steven Gerrard anyway. Fans I presume, will still use it. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Well then I guess you're lucky, being able to forget about it if a particular phrase isn't used. I've always been of the opinion that in football you need the lows to enjoy the highs, and if in years to come we consider being favourites with 3 games to go after being 33-1 at the outset as a low then we must be doing plenty right.

But if it pleases you, bury your head in the sand, try and pretend our best season for years didn't happen instead of focusing on the positives and looking forward to next year. Just don't expect me to lie and say it's not cowardly.
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2014, 10:26:14 pm »
Haha. Cowardly now. I don't like a phrase. I also don't like watching games back if we've lost.
I wish I was a hero.
Nah.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2014, 10:57:04 pm »
Haha. Cowardly now. I don't like a phrase. I also don't like watching games back if we've lost.
I wish I was a hero.

Nor do I, and of course I was gutted when we lost the City game, and then Gerrard said we go Norwich, exactly the same, we go again - and so we lost that one too. What a bloody awful time to be reminded of.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2014, 12:04:46 am »
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

A Poem?? Benders.

The only thing that helped was the million penalties and 'Los Blanco' Suarez. Gerrard's passing didnt help, check OptaStats - he had the 33rd best passing rate in the Prem. Top drawer that eh? YAWN.

Oh dear. Bell end alert
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2014, 12:32:27 am »
I wish I was a hero.
Seriously mate, there's going to be an irony to that phrase which inevitably will carry on for at least 12 months by both opposing supporters and Liverpool fans determined to rekindle this season. Yes, some LFC fans will repeat it harmlessly and we'll have posters criticising them for reiterating a magical moment of that season. So what?
Ultimately I just don't get why someone is precious about a good poem about a significant part of our captains career.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 12:35:40 am by John C »

Offline In the Net

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2014, 12:34:03 am »
Brilliant poem - thanks for sharing.

I am currently suffering with clinical depression, and literally taking one day at a time. When that feels too hard, I now use Gerrard's "We Go Again" as inspiration to keep battling on through another day. Proof of the power of LFC to affect our lives way beyond the football pitch - for which I am grateful.  :)

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2014, 12:42:22 am »
Brilliant poem - thanks for sharing.

I am currently suffering with clinical depression, and literally taking one day at a time. When that feels too hard, I now use Gerrard's "We Go Again" as inspiration to keep battling on through another day. Proof of the power of LFC to affect our lives way beyond the football pitch - for which I am grateful.  :)
Good on you mate, you must interpret it for exactly what it was on that victorious day - emotional inspiration in which he meant those 3 special words.

There's also more stuff here for you.....
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=259330.4880

Offline Tozznee

• Kemlynite
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2014, 01:38:21 am »
I never actually realised how to correctly pronounce the word meme...and now I realise it rhymes with dream!  :D

Great poem.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2014, 07:58:53 am »
Nor do I, and of course I was gutted when we lost the City game, and then Gerrard said we go Norwich, exactly the same, we go again - and so we lost that one too. What a bloody awful time to be reminded of.

Are we going to ignore Chelsea and (Palace)? Where ultimately we lost it after a fantastic run. Now it obviously wasn't the fault of the phrase. But it is what I remember when I hear it. It's not a critisism of our captain, I don't have to like everything every player does.

Maybe you can get off your high horse and accept that me not liking it is nothing more a personal opinion. Heck, I can remember your opinion of El-hadji Diouf being a possible contender for Balon d-or 03-04. ;D
Nah.

Offline In the Net

• Kemlynite
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2014, 09:58:05 am »
Good on you mate, you must interpret it for exactly what it was on that victorious day - emotional inspiration in which he meant those 3 special words.

There's also more stuff here for you.....
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=259330.4880

Thank you for pointing me in that direction - an amazing thread.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2014, 12:27:47 pm »
Are we going to ignore Chelsea and (Palace)? Where ultimately we lost it after a fantastic run. Now it obviously wasn't the fault of the phrase. But it is what I remember when I hear it. It's not a critisism of our captain, I don't have to like everything every player does.

Maybe you can get off your high horse and accept that me not liking it is nothing more a personal opinion. Heck, I can remember your opinion of El-hadji Diouf being a possible contender for Balon d-or 03-04. ;D

Since the thread is now completely derailed anyway - here's what I don't get Joff, and maybe you can explain it to me - because to me it makes no sense:

You said the phrase itself had no impact on why we lost the league and that you yourself were buzzing off it at the time - and yet you also say that with hindsight you'd have preferred a calmer approach. See to me that's a massive contradiction - our captain said something that had you buzzing, you acknowledge it didn't actually harm us and yet you wish he'd taken a calmer approach with hindsight? Why, if as you claim it's not because of what others think?

You also said that it's just your opinion, and that I'm trying to force my opinion on you. But you opened a thread called 'We Go Again' having said that you don't like the phrase and what it reminds you of and saw the first few replies liking it and repeating the phrase 'We Go Again' - and THEN you replied to that thread talking about how you don't like the phrase and wish it would go away AND came back to it again and again and again. I started a thread people can read or not read as they desire - you were the one who came into a thread they didn't like, headed by a phrase they didn't like and went on and on about how much they don't like the phrase. Why, if not to force your opinion on others? What other purpose did it serve, honestly? Because I'd love to know.

As for opinions I may or may not have had about players in the past - it's not the same thing since we're talking here about the difference between letting opposition fans take ownership of something to take the piss out of our captain when we can claim the phrase ourselves - not whether we think a particular player is good or not. I'll be the first to admit I've got plenty wrong over the years, as well as some right as everyone has - but what you're talking about is a period of 6-8 games where El-Hadji Diouf was excellent for us, and I did venture the viewpoint that if he could maintain that form he'd be in with a chance of our player of the year (not the ballon d'or, there's a big difference there I think). And actually, on that occasion I back my view as being right - Diouf was excellent for those games, had he kept it up over 38 games then as it turns out he wouldn't be the massive fuck up that we now know him to be. I particularly remember Blackburn away that year when he had a terrific game, though, which came in a run of good performances on the right hand side. He also had a cracking game in the League Cup Final if I remember rightly. He was still a terrible purchase, his worst problem being his attitude and these days he's mostly referred to by me as a c*nt who stole wages off LFC.

But it's got to be the most ridiculous argument ever - here's an opinion vaguely like an opinion you briefly held in the 2003/4 season (which I've misquoted to make you seem ridiculous), therefore you can't disagree with anyone's opinion 10 years later? Fuck off.

Offline turkish kopite

• Legacy Fan
  • Black&White, Believe&Fight
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2014, 07:12:53 am »
Next season will be ours
"Waiting for Vodafone Arena to win League Titles"

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2014, 07:19:47 am »
http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2014/05/the-curious-case-of-steven-gerrard/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=the-curious-case-of-steven-gerrard

This as well, when he's getting it from all angles we should be backing him, not burying our heads and pretending like things didn't happen. Just let the gobshites of other clubs belittle him, yeah?

We MUST do it for him next season.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2014, 08:07:19 am »
Haha wow. You seem very stressed. You must be a very unhappy man.

I came in the thread to say I didn't like the phrase. I understand it's probably a minority view. Doesn't make me wrong... I don't have to like it. Because I didn't like it you start throwing insults about. From behind your keyboard. I'm now enjoying your replies. ;D

And the EHD thing. I heard you say world player of the year. (Which means I was wrong to say BDO) But I have no proof, and I'm sure you'll deny it! I would! You're right, we all get things wrong. Surprised you didn't laugh it off, instead of an essay to justify it.

Hey we're all wrong sometimes...
I thought Andy Carroll was going to be a star here. I'd have Milan Baros back.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 09:28:37 am by Joff »
Nah.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2014, 01:58:33 pm »
I'm very happy thanks. And if everyone can be wrong don't you think maybe you misheard/misremember the Diouf thing? If I had said it I would laugh it off, I've got no bones about being wrong. I also thought Carroll would be a success and thought Torres was a terrible waste of money. But I can remember that conversation clearly, so I'm not going to laugh it off and say "yeah, how stupid of me" when it didn't happen.

And obviously you came in to say you didn't like the phrase, I see that, I can read. But for what purpose? You clearly want to buryyyour head in the sand about the whole thing, so why go into the thread at all? You've sent it off on such a tangent and for what?

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2014, 06:19:16 pm »
I'm very happy thanks. And if everyone can be wrong don't you think maybe you misheard/misremember the Diouf thing? If I had said it I would laugh it off, I've got no bones about being wrong. I also thought Carroll would be a success and thought Torres was a terrible waste of money. But I can remember that conversation clearly, so I'm not going to laugh it off and say "yeah, how stupid of me" when it didn't happen.

And obviously you came in to say you didn't like the phrase, I see that, I can read. But for what purpose? You clearly want to buryyyour head in the sand about the whole thing, so why go into the thread at all? You've sent it off on such a tangent and for what?
Cos you told me to fuck off and called me a coward ;D
You posted about the phrase, coincidently just after the game on Sunday I said to my mate I don't want to hear it again. He didn't agree. (or disagree) But be accepted what I said without having a hissy fit and telling me to fuck off. We didn't even debate it. But I commented in here as it was something I was talking about after the game. I might have even said it in the ground during.

Or have I missed the point about forums? Do I have to agree with the OP?
Nah.

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2014, 06:21:20 pm »
I'm still hurting, guys.

"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: May 16, 2014, 06:21:22 pm »
The post under my first in here was worthy of a reaction...
Nah.

Offline Weby72.

• Kopite
« Reply #62 on: May 16, 2014, 08:02:12 pm »
Having seen more than a few people suggesting that Stevie's huddle after the City game was ruined by what happened next

It WAS ruined.

I still feel like I've been violated by an ape whilst watching my family murdered, before the ape raids my fridge for my beer. The whole 'we go again' thing could have been iconic, a rallying call to arms to be ranked with the greatest.

Instead, it's a sickening reminder of how near we were, how we held our fate in our own hands, but threw it away.

Offline Mountainman

• Main Stander
  • Inspired by Bill Shankly
« Reply #63 on: May 16, 2014, 10:08:58 pm »
Complicated and emotional topic. Almost dare not comment.

My humble view.

1. Stevie should not have done the huddle thing on the pitch. Perhaps in the dressing room afterwards. But, regarding Liverpool FC he wears his emotions on his sleeve, and there is nobody who cares more for the club than him. He did what he did because of his passion, and we move on.

2. It did not contribute to the Chelsea loss. Missing Henderson (who was immense up to that point) was more of a factor. Even more importantly, I think Brendan Rodgers was a factor. Calm, cautious, and patient tactics and a calming influence on the team were needed. This was the cup final, and we only needed 0-0 (or 1-1 after going 0-1 behind). I think Brendan learnt a few lessons that day too. I am confident he will handle future big games better.

3. Stevie is taking more crap than just about anyone in the footballing world right now. And will for the next 9-12 months. So will the fans. But, it is worth remembering that this happens because others envy or fear him and us. If they hate him and us (and many do) so be it. So not worth getting into debate/banter about this.

4. We back our skipper and our team 100% in the season to come, never been more important to do so.

4. The club and fans to unite and draw determination to succeed from this. Besides transfers and all the usual things, this is Brendan's biggest challenge. The old adage - not about how hard you hit but how hard you can get hit and get up.

5. I won't use the term again, but I don't mind if others do.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2014, 02:50:38 am »
Looks like I'm not alone in my thinking. And clearly people don't like admitting having an opinion that might differ from most. Unless they are clearly WUMing, like the laughing dude on pg1.
Nah.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2014, 02:55:52 am »
Instead, it's a sickening reminder of how near we were, how we held our fate in our own hands, but threw it away.

I don't know about the ape reference, but this is what it reminds me of!
It could have been iconic... Unfortunately, history is written by the victors.

Nah.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2014, 04:35:23 am »
Loved the poem HH, thanks for sharing it.
As for We go again, bloody right we do, always will, always have, and I have no problems with that moment, thought it was superb, still do. Would anyone have told Ali he shouldn't make those boasts cos it might go wrong one day? No, fuck it, do it, say it, emotions at the right time, made a season like I've never experienced, a season for black-and-white pathe news, 101 goals, 50 odd conceded, that is not right in football terms, even the 60s tables don't have those kind of figures. We played some of the best football I have ever seen, and some of the less best  ;D Our 11 would beat anybody in a street match, especially with the lights turned out. I'm happy at that season, the good, and the bad, but the good wins and if anyone wants the hugs confined to the dressing-room, cover your eyes. We could win the league next season, and I believe, and I know we can, but it might still not be as exhilarating as this season just gone. Enjoy, appreciate, praise, laugh, cry at what we've had this season, but save the shouldn't-have-done-that-just-thens for the bargain-bucket teams.

It could have been iconic... Unfortunately, history is written by the victors.
It is iconic, and the victors are too busy marauding and plundering to do much writing. History is invented by those who weren't quite there and are paid to come up with something.

It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2014, 01:50:44 pm »
Or have I missed the point about forums? Do I have to agree with the OP?

Yes actually - the point of forums is you get different types of post. There are posts to stimulate debate, and there are also posts to showcase writing. This was the latter, a poem designed as a defiant fuck you to anyone who wants what you want - to never hear the phrase again, as well as a defiant fuck you to fans of other clubs taking the piss out of Stevie. In fact, if you read the opening post a bit better, you would notice that it was written out of frustration at people with exactly your attitude, so this:

Looks like I'm not alone in my thinking.

Is moot, just like your opening post was moot. This would never have been written without the fact that I'd already read, heard and seen people with exactly your opinion. And I wrote as much in the opening post. So again, what was the point of your post? Fuck all is the answer Joff. Why did I respond to your post in the way I did? Because it's in keeping with the theme of the post - if I'm writing something as a defiant fuck you to people with your attitude, why is it out of order to then make that point in a post rather than in the poem? As for the WUM, I didn't respond to them since they're clearly a WUM - what would be the point? I first met you (I think) in 2003. You've posted on here a long time. I know that you're a red with exactly the view I was posting against - it was much more worthy of a response than some one-post wonder gobshite who isn't even a red.

I'm not surprised there are people with your attitude. People react to disappointment and hurt differently - some people try to pretend it never happened, some people act out, some people are defiant in the face of adversity. Personally, I think that our support has been brilliant this season and one of the reasons we got to where we did. And now you've got people trying to ridicule our captain I'd say the people who will defiantly stick by the words he said knowing that they weren't the reason we didn't win the league are giving him better support than those trying to pretend it didn't happen. If I'm Stevie and I see that 'We Go Again' banner at the first home game next season, I smile to myself and think "Yep, new season, we go again, come on!" The way some of you go on it's like you want it to haunt him.

I also don't get the whole bury your head in the sand attitude in general. If someone you love dies, do you try and forget about them or remember the good times? There are so many positives from last season, so many great memories to focus on rather than trying to forget it. I'm sorry, but nothing you've said makes me feel anything other than that your attitude is cowardly. It's an opinion and just like you're entitled to yours I'm entitled to mine. But don't get all precious when in a thread that wasn't designed for a debate you come in and start one. Don't get precious when the opinion you offer is something I've acknowledged is out there in the opening post. Don't get precious when I actually write fuck you, since the whole opening post was a fuck you to exactly the attitude you've presented.

And if you don't want to hear the phrase again, I'd avoid opening any other threads called 'We Go Again'. You might not avoid it altogether but it's probably a start. :wave

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2014, 02:03:22 pm »
Complicated and emotional topic. Almost dare not comment.

My humble view.

1. Stevie should not have done the huddle thing on the pitch. Perhaps in the dressing room afterwards. But, regarding Liverpool FC he wears his emotions on his sleeve, and there is nobody who cares more for the club than him. He did what he did because of his passion, and we move on.

2. It did not contribute to the Chelsea loss. Missing Henderson (who was immense up to that point) was more of a factor. Even more importantly, I think Brendan Rodgers was a factor. Calm, cautious, and patient tactics and a calming influence on the team were needed. This was the cup final, and we only needed 0-0 (or 1-1 after going 0-1 behind). I think Brendan learnt a few lessons that day too. I am confident he will handle future big games better.

Personally, I disagree on these two points. On the first, I don't see why he can't do that on the pitch. Not like it's something he does every week. Not like he was Phil Brown giving his team a very public dressing down while shirking his own responsibility. I think the manner of thinking was that the speech was best delivered when the players have just achieved something positive, when they're looking out at the fans - and saying look at this, look at what this kind of achievement creates, look at the fans, listen to the atmosphere, think about what you've done and use what you're seeing here to motivate you. It was of course heat of the moment, but I do think it inspired the players and judging by how they started the Norwich game it actually worked to a point.

On the second point, I don't get the idea of Brendan being more cautious helping the team. Had we done so, Chelsea are still a massive threat from set pieces (as an example, Kalas had a terrific chance from a set piece just before Ba's goal) and could just as easily have taken the lead in that way, leaving us chasing the game (in fact, that would have been more likely had we played the game that way). However we were playing under Brendan, the centre-backs would be split in possession with Gerrard coming deep to receive the ball. Therefore the slip that lead to their first could just as easily have happened had we set up like the first few games of the season and sat back more. It all sounds great in theory, we only needed a 0-0 as you say, but teams who play for 0-0 get it a lot less often than they don't.

Offline Owens_Left_Peg

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2014, 03:31:14 pm »
Of course the huddle didn't have any effect on the slip. The miscontrol/ slip was gutting, but just one of those things. There are lessons to be learned from this season and we'll be back stronger next time. Brendan will have more of a feel for when the right time to stop attacking is.

It has to be said as well, there are lessons for some of our fans. I think a lot of the bile directed at Stevie is because a small minority of our fans got too carried away, too early. If you start boasting about your title "win" too soon, it is inevitable that you will get laughed at when you fail. The "Liverpool 13/14 champions" shirts were a step too far.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #70 on: May 17, 2014, 04:35:48 pm »
Of course the huddle didn't have any effect on the slip. The miscontrol/ slip was gutting, but just one of those things. There are lessons to be learned from this season and we'll be back stronger next time. Brendan will have more of a feel for when the right time to stop attacking is.

It has to be said as well, there are lessons for some of our fans. I think a lot of the bile directed at Stevie is because a small minority of our fans got too carried away, too early. If you start boasting about your title "win" too soon, it is inevitable that you will get laughed at when you fail. The "Liverpool 13/14 champions" shirts were a step too far.

I don't know anyone who bought one of those. Do you? If anyone did, they're amongst a very, very small minority of Liverpool fans worldwide, and an even smaller minority amongst regular matchgoers. I also don't know anyone who was gloating about a title win, or anyone who didn't think Chelsea/Palace were going to be tough games. I think what you're talking about is a very small number of people who actually have very little bearing or idea how the majority of us think. They have more bearing on how fans of other clubs view us, disproportionately so. So I wish Liverpool fans wouldn't start giving credence to this nonsense as well.

Offline Mountainman

• Main Stander
  • Inspired by Bill Shankly
« Reply #71 on: May 17, 2014, 04:56:32 pm »
Personally, I disagree on these two points. On the first, I don't see why he can't do that on the pitch. Not like it's something he does every week. Not like he was Phil Brown giving his team a very public dressing down while shirking his own responsibility. I think the manner of thinking was that the speech was best delivered when the players have just achieved something positive, when they're looking out at the fans - and saying look at this, look at what this kind of achievement creates, look at the fans, listen to the atmosphere, think about what you've done and use what you're seeing here to motivate you. It was of course heat of the moment, but I do think it inspired the players and judging by how they started the Norwich game it actually worked to a point.

On the second point, I don't get the idea of Brendan being more cautious helping the team. Had we done so, Chelsea are still a massive threat from set pieces (as an example, Kalas had a terrific chance from a set piece just before Ba's goal) and could just as easily have taken the lead in that way, leaving us chasing the game (in fact, that would have been more likely had we played the game that way). However we were playing under Brendan, the centre-backs would be split in possession with Gerrard coming deep to receive the ball. Therefore the slip that lead to their first could just as easily have happened had we set up like the first few games of the season and sat back more. It all sounds great in theory, we only needed a 0-0 as you say, but teams who play for 0-0 get it a lot less often than they don't.

Fair enough. Entitled to differences in viewpoints I hope.

On Stevie's huddle, I hope you see that I am simply saying that I would rather have seen him not do it, but having done it I back him and I agree with the defiance point. To **** with everyone else, and we back him, and I do agree that a banner with We Go Again at Anfield for the first game of next season sends that message.

On Brendan's tactics and how he managed to get the players in the right mindset for what was our cup final, we can have differences in views. I think Brendan still has a few things to learn about the really big games. But that is not the topic of this thread.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #72 on: May 17, 2014, 05:21:35 pm »
Fair enough. Entitled to differences in viewpoints I hope.

On Stevie's huddle, I hope you see that I am simply saying that I would rather have seen him not do it, but having done it I back him and I agree with the defiance point. To **** with everyone else, and we back him, and I do agree that a banner with We Go Again at Anfield for the first game of next season sends that message.

On Brendan's tactics and how he managed to get the players in the right mindset for what was our cup final, we can have differences in views. I think Brendan still has a few things to learn about the really big games. But that is not the topic of this thread.

No I know, I thought you made some reasonable points to be fair.

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit. Semper Fi
« Reply #73 on: May 17, 2014, 05:49:58 pm »
Anything further on this excellent banner HH?  I'm happy to chip in.   :wave
Rather a day as a lion than a lifetime as a sheep.

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2014, 06:37:09 pm »
Anything further on this excellent banner HH?  I'm happy to chip in.   :wave

It already exists Maggie, it was hung over the side of Melwood after the City game. Personally hope it isn't retired, but it's up to whoever made it :wave

Offline Maggie May

• A true Grandmother of Sirs. The Next Vera Lynne. The Pigeon Queen. Lobster Botherer Knockout Champ. RAWK's favourite gog. Belshie Gets Hard For Her. Call that a knife??
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2014, 06:47:50 pm »
It already exists Maggie, it was hung over the side of Melwood after the City game. Personally hope it isn't retired, but it's up to whoever made it :wave

Cheers matey  :wave  Let's hope not.

Just read your excellent poem again - really lovely. 

I can only be nice to one person a day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look too good either.
I tried being reasonable.  I didn't like it.  Old enough to know better.  Young enough not to give a fuck.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
    • Footy fans
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2014, 08:27:29 pm »
Cheers matey  :wave  Let's hope not.

Just read your excellent poem again - really lovely. 

Thanks Maggie

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2014, 08:21:50 am »
I don't know anyone who bought one of those. Do you? If anyone did, they're amongst a very, very small minority of Liverpool fans worldwide, and an even smaller minority amongst regular matchgoers. I also don't know anyone who was gloating about a title win, or anyone who didn't think Chelsea/Palace were going to be tough games. I think what you're talking about is a very small number of people who actually have very little bearing or idea how the majority of us think. They have more bearing on how fans of other clubs view us, disproportionately so. So I wish Liverpool fans wouldn't start giving credence to this nonsense as well.

This is true. The blueshite are still banging on about it now. In work and in the barber's yesterday and had to listen to a number of cretins spouting shite amongst themselves about how 'they' were celebrating winning the league weeks ago. Like yourself I don't know anybody who held this view. That's Evertonians for you though, while we're looking forward to new signings and challenging for the PL and CL next season they're doing what they do best- obsessing about Liverpool.

Offline Maggie May

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2014, 09:21:17 am »

Thanks Maggie

Thank you for the pic.  Be great to see that at the first game of the season.   :wave

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2014, 10:23:03 am »
In work (as the only Liverpool supporter) I took the deliberate stance of repeating that i thought City would win it, and if not them then maybe Chelsea. Liverpool had no chance according to me. I was like the proverbial swan, calm and serene on the surface, going nuts inside, in my mind punching the air as i walked in, "we are Liverpool" on repeat in my head. But to them, always the same message.

After the Man City game, they wanted me to crack, but i shook my head, "not over yet, not by a long way". They cranked up the pressure after Norwich. "You've won it now, go on admit it". "Nah, it's still anybody's" was my reply.

Fast-forward to the Monday after the final game and there it was, as predictable as the sun rising in the morning....."You know your problem, you celebrated too early mate"!! :)

P.S. If you're one of the few people reading that and misunderstanding and thinking, ah he's having a go at anyone who sang "we're gonna win the league", you're completely wrong. I sang it myself. It was never a gloat, just a rallying call, just like Stevie's. And it didn't jinx anything either, because jinxes are imaginary and superstitions are daft (yes they are, even my own :)).

Would love to see that WE GO AGAIN banner make an appearance in August.