Author Topic: Preston vs Liverpool - League Cup 4th Round.  (Read 15193 times)

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Preston vs Liverpool - League Cup 4th Round.
« on: October 25, 2021, 12:00:42 pm »
                                                                  Preston North End v Liverpool, Wednesday 27th/10  (19:45)

League Cup 4th Round

Ref. David Coote
                                                                    Assistants Nick Hopton and Wade Smith
                                                                    Fourth Official : John Brooks

After the Lord Major’s show eh !!!!

Every club in England has history, their own cache of stories, of characters, fabled journeys of triumph and mostly failure. These tales breed loyalty, fascination, they inspire imagination. Preston North End are one such club. The name itself is kind of epic in a "great British western of the northlands” kind of way. Grey trench coats, flat caps, rattles, fags and very occasionally rosettes. Back in the days where everything was monochrome.

Take yourself back to the season 1953-54, post war, probably miserable. That was the last time Liverpool and PNE spent a season in the top flight together.

Liverpool trudged through a difficult season to storied grounds up and down the country, losing. From Roker and Ayresome Park to The Valley and Fratton park. From Ninian Park across to Bramall Lane. Closer to home they battled the Manchester clubs and a bunch of perennial division 1 stalwarts rung around Liverpool and the Northwest. Burnden Park in Bolton, Burnley’s Turfmoor, Blackpool’s Bloomfield Road and Deepdale home of the twice league champions, three time FA Cup winners and founder member of English Leagues, Preston North End. Liverpool themselves had 5 major honours to their name at that stage. They were clubs of equal stature.

Nat Lofthouse, Stan Mortenson, Stanley Matthews, all renowned footballers of that generation played for those Northern powerhouses. Burnley had one James Milner playing for them (I kid you not). Preston themselves had the services of Jimmy Baxter, famous Scottish footballer as well as Tom Finney one of the all-time greats and Tommy Docherty who excelled both on the field and off of it in years to come. (!)

Wolves won the league that season, West Brom the Cup. Liverpool came bottom of the league and slipped down to Division 2 where they languished until an no-nonsense, passionate, hard headed Scot ,who spent his career at Preston North End, arrived on Merseyside to revive and reconstruct Anfield and The Reds. Bill Shankly was his name.

Thank you Preston. You had a major hand in making us who we are.

Being Irish, (from Cork), Preston of today also interest me as the recently deceased owner, Eddie Hemmings, came close to buying my local club Cork City I believe. (He was also the owner of Trabolgan Holiday Village in east Cork). Current Irish international, Seanie Maguire, who plays up front for Preston was a central figure in the last Cork City team to win the League Of Ireland in 2017. He was a class apart as City won their first 17 competitive games that season. (There you go !!). He’s generally off the bench here along with fellow Irishman Greg Cunningham. Alan Browne, also a current Irish international was their captain in their latest match, a 2-0 defeat to Blackpool.
Ex-Liverpool Centre half and Irish international Mark Lawrenson is a Preston lad and fan, as is 100 Irish caps, Kevin Kilbane.

Preston and Liverpool have been trading centre halves of late. Ben Davies came our way and made quite an impression on the physio’s couch before heading off to Bramall Lane while Sepp Van Den Berg has been playing regularly at right back for them.

Preston are having a balanced season in the Championship. Last 10 games have been 2 wins, 2 losses and 6 draws. They are averaging just a goal a game though they have scored 4 in both previous rounds of the League Cup. They are amongst the lowest wage bills in the league and are perhaps in a spot of bother now, with Hemmings departed and the PNE frontman being none other than the infamous Peter Ridsdale (just ask any Leeds supporter).

Having a look at the fans reactions to Saturday’s defeat they are a bit miserable and negative but hey, we know how that goes and we win mostly.

We all know how we’ve been doing so  probably the big question is who is going to play ?

Well Nabi ain’t. Neither is James Milner, nor Thiago, Harvey Elliott or Fabinho either I suspect. Liverpool’s midfield takes over from the Centre Half slaughter of last season. So who do we have left ?

Kelleher (From Cork !),
Neco, Konaté, Gomez, Tsimikas,
Morton, Jones and Ox,
Taki, Divvie and Kaide Gordon

I reckon this is a good shout. One thing, I heard there are now 5 subs so I wonder if we mightn’t see a couple of the youngsters on the bench at the very least. I think Preston will give us more of a game than the headless numpties we played yesterday. They’ll be solid and workmanlike but that’s about it I think.

The capacity, I believe, will be 22,000. There will be a big Reds contingent travelling to Deepdale, just like the old days. I like the ground, steep terraces. It should be great craic and a decent night out for all concerned. Win and we’re in the last 8, for a change.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
Re: Preston vs Liverpool - League Cup 4th Round.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 12:01:59 pm »
Finally, a real opponent.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 12:03:24 pm »
A fair few youngsters would be nice, although it'll probably wreck the U23's tonight

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 12:06:26 pm »
Gordon's been out injured for a few weeks so would be surprised if he starts

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 12:14:19 pm »
Can we risk Jones and Oxlade depending on Fabinho's & Keita's injury?

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 12:14:57 pm »
Preston will be right up for this, massive night for them. The team should look pretty similar to the one that played at Norwich in the last round, accounting for injuries and the likes. Think the midfield will have Morton in it who looked good in the last game. Gomez will surely come in, perhaps with Konate getting another 90 minutes after a good showing yesterday. I'm sure Lijnders will be along tomorrow to tell us who's fit  ;D

Great chance this again for squad players and youngsters, and even though it's a massive game for Preston we should have enough to see this one through. Fucking into these redmen.

David Coote though  :no
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 12:39:56 pm »
Do you think Mane might play, given he had a rest?

Online gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 12:42:54 pm »
Do you think Mane might play, given he had a rest?
Yeah, think that’s a possibility. 60 for him and 30 for one of the others.

Depends how ready they see the likes of Balagizi or Musalowski.
AHA!

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 12:44:36 pm »
I wouldn't expect Mane to start but no reason why the bench shouldn't be strong. Origi and Minamino are probably certs to start and I imagine if Gordon is fit he'll retain his place.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 12:45:06 pm »
Jurgen obviously rested Mane, Fabinho and Matip against yesterdays weaker opponents so expect them to start.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2021, 12:48:40 pm »
Neco Gomez Konate Tsmikas
Ox Morton TBD
Minamino Origi Mane

Kelleher wasn’t on the bench….

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2021, 12:48:58 pm »
Give Matip a go here and keep Ibou for the weekend. Joel is great but nothing wrong with rewarding a boss performance. Would love to see Curtis again but we are ravaged in the middle and with this referee it's an absolutely enormous risk. But we might not have much choice  ;D

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2021, 12:49:49 pm »
Midfield will be tricky for this one, expect at least one or even two in that area of the pitch will be subbed fairly early on if we're comfortable.  Can't afford any more knocks.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2021, 12:56:52 pm »
Can we really risk any midfielders considering we have three fit ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2021, 01:02:42 pm »
Can we really risk any midfielders considering we have three fit ?

I think we can't risk it. Just play the kids in there and let's see what they are made of.

Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2021, 01:04:05 pm »
Ox Morton TBD
Minamino Origi Mane

I always find TBD to be a bit inconsistent.  A bit like 'Triallist'.

I reckon Gordon will get another League Cup start.  Minamino possibly dropping into part of the midfield three.  We might even see Nat again if they decide Konate is going to start again at the weekend.

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2021, 01:05:39 pm »
Ox Morton TBD
Minamino Origi Mane

I've a feeling Nat will start the game partnering Joe. I think Virgil will be rested for this and the weekend game against Brighton he's played a lot of football since his return and can see Jurgen going with Konate and Matip for the league game.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2021, 01:11:05 pm »
I've a feeling Nat will start the game partnering Joe. I think Virgil will be rested for this and the weekend game against Brighton he's played a lot of football since his return and can see Jurgen going with Konate and Matip for the league game.

VVD will play on the weekend, can't see that not happening.  I reckon it'll be Gomez and Matip for this one.

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2021, 01:22:30 pm »
I think Morton and Balagizi, who both started on the bench against Norwich, take two of the midfield slots. Ox's involvement, if any, would depend on Keita's and Thiago's fitness assessments closer to the match.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2021, 02:02:01 pm »
VVD will play on the weekend, can't see that not happening.  I reckon it'll be Gomez and Matip for this one.

I hope it’s Gomez and Konate.

Ibou hasn’t played much either, so give him 2 games in a row, will do him the world of good.

We know Joel can step right back into a team with little bother, so I wouldn’t want him playing in a league cup game at this point.

Looking forward to seeing Morton get a start in this one.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2021, 02:05:20 pm »
Kloppo's annual holiday is back.   ;D

We're on the march with Pep's boys.  8)

Offline Red Cactii

• Legacy Fan
  • An absolute p***k
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2021, 02:21:02 pm »
Surely all of Alisson, Trent, Andy, Virgil, Joel, Skipper, Fabinho, Mo, Bobby and Diogo are given the night off and we see a Konate-Gomez partnership with hopefully Morton getting another game in midfield. Plenty of opportunity for those who haven’t played many minutes to stake their claim in this one, hopefully Taki and Divock get amongst the goals again.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2021, 02:50:03 pm »
Ox Morton TBD
Minamino Origi Mane

pretty much the line up we all could hope for.

TBD replaced with dixon bonner maybe since he was with the lads in madrid

Offline Jwils21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2021, 02:53:45 pm »
Cavalieri
Williams Gomez Phillips Konate Tsimikas
Gordon Minamino Morton Pacheco
Origi

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2021, 02:56:23 pm »
Cavalieri
Williams Gomez Phillips Konate Tsimikas
Gordon Minamino Morton Pacheco
Origi

About time Pacheco got a chance.

Offline Jwils21

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2021, 03:35:19 pm »
About time Pacheco got a chance.

Scored a belter of a free kick for the reserves at Prenton Park on Saturday.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2021, 03:54:02 pm »
Put the 11 that will start against Brighton to one side and make the best starting lineup with what's left. Kelleher, Neco, Kostas, Gomez, Konate, Morton, Ox, Taki,  Musialowski, Mane, and Origi.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2021, 03:55:27 pm »
Can't see Minamino and AOC starting in the same midfield, especially alongside a kid, would be way too open.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2021, 03:56:35 pm »
Put the 11 that will start against Brighton to one side and make the best starting lineup with what's left. Kelleher, Neco, Kostas, Gomez, Konate, Morton, Ox, Taki,  [B’Musialowski[/B], Mane, and Origi.

Ahead of Gordon?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2021, 03:59:02 pm »
Unleash Musialowski!  8)

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2021, 04:39:47 pm »
Ahead of Gordon?

I think Gordon is still injured.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2021, 04:40:42 pm »
Scored a belter of a free kick for the reserves at Prenton Park on Saturday.

Remember that lad on here who used to post team lineups with Le Tallec in them all the time? We've come a long way lol

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2021, 04:41:24 pm »
Terrific OP mate! Can't wait for the Shankly Derby!
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2021, 04:41:27 pm »
Unleash Musialowski!  8)

Very good chance he makes the bench for this one if Gordon is still out, surely.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2021, 04:42:32 pm »
Can't see Minamino and AOC starting in the same midfield, especially alongside a kid, would be way too open.

With Fabinho, Henderson, and Jones penciled in for Brighton, and Elliott, Thiago, Keita, and Milner, all injured, our options are limited. Taki played on the left hand side of midfield in the 2nd half of the last round and was very good there.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2021, 04:46:50 pm »
Thanks for the OP Dougle, a great trip through the various points our clubs cross in history. I love that stuff.

It’s definitely time for some more Tyler Morton. Probably impossible for the lad the live up to his 45 min cameo v Norwich but I’d like to see some more of him. Be great to go with mainly fringe players but current midfield injuries may mean a few more youngsters start. Not a bad thing but I’d love us to win a domestic cup and hope whatever line up we go with is good enough to get a win.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2021, 06:31:38 pm »
I was wondering when we'd get Coote again. I hope this is not a sign we'll be seeing him regularly from now on.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2021, 06:32:38 pm »
From the usual u23 starters Musialowski, Balagizi, Norris and Morton not starting tonight and Bradley only on the bench.

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2021, 07:01:25 pm »
Phillips will surely get a game this time. Will Sepp play for them?
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2021, 07:08:36 pm »
Phillips will surely get a game this time. Will Sepp play for them?

There’s nothing in the competition rules to say Sepp can’t play.