Author Topic: 21/22 Goals and assists  (Read 142845 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Re: Our goalscorers
« Reply #200 on: March 23, 2017, 12:39:00 pm »
Over the past 4 seasons Firmino has scored 42 goals in 117 league starts for Liverpool/Hoffenheim.

For a player who wasn't utilised as an out and out striker or central forward for I would say the majority of those games that's still quite an impressive return, with room for improvement.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #201 on: March 23, 2017, 01:03:44 pm »
Over the past 4 seasons Firmino has scored 42 goals in 117 league starts for Liverpool/Hoffenheim.

For a player who wasn't utilised as an out and out striker or central forward for I would say the majority of those games that's still quite an impressive return, with room for improvement.

Id say if he's able to put up such numbers not playing CF then theres no need to play him as a CF.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2017, 11:02:11 am »
Id say if he's able to put up such numbers not playing CF then theres no need to play him as a CF.

I would be fairly sure JK doesn't see him as a long term starter as a '9' but in our current system he is the most suitable player in terms of his fitness, workrate and pressing ability. Whereas Origi is still raw, Sturridge is injury ravaged and doesn't have the same counter pressing or tactical nous despite being our most natural goalscorer. I hope and expect we will will start next season with additions in the golscoring department.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2017, 11:54:24 am »
I would be fairly sure JK doesn't see him as a long term starter as a '9' but in our current system he is the most suitable player in terms of his fitness, workrate and pressing ability. Whereas Origi is still raw, Sturridge is injury ravaged and doesn't have the same counter pressing or tactical nous despite being our most natural goalscorer. I hope and expect we will will start next season with additions in the golscoring department.

I very much hope this is the case too, Firmino definitely best placed to do that job for us now but hopefully Jurgen has something/someone else in his sights.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: April 1, 2017, 03:53:37 pm »

Mane - 13
Firmino - 10
Coutinho - 8
Origi - 8
Lallana - 7
Milner - 7
Sturridge - 6
Gini - 5
Emre - 4
Lovren - 2

Will be interesting to see how many of our players end up with double digits at the end of the season. It's been a while since that has happened with more than two players in a season.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: April 1, 2017, 03:57:18 pm »
Mane - 13
Firmino - 10
Coutinho - 8
Origi - 8
Lallana - 7
Milner - 7
Sturridge - 6
Gini - 5
Emre - 4
Lovren - 2

Will be interesting to see how many of our players end up with double digits at the end of the season. It's been a while since that has happened with more than two players in a season.

Hopefully Firmino and Coutinho get a few. Our front three works well but we need Firmino and even Coutinho getting close to about 15 goals.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: April 6, 2017, 02:32:10 am »

Mane - 13
Firmino - 10
Coutinho - 9
Origi - 9
Lallana - 7
Milner - 7
Sturridge - 6
Gini - 5
Emre - 4
Lovren - 2

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: April 8, 2017, 07:19:28 pm »

Mane - 13
Firmino - 11
Coutinho - 10
Origi - 9
Lallana - 7
Milner - 7
Sturridge - 6
Gini - 5
Emre - 4
Lovren - 2

Phil has now scored more goals than any other Brazilian in league history

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: April 8, 2017, 07:31:42 pm »
Mane - 13
Firmino - 11
Coutinho - 10
Origi - 9
Lallana - 7
Milner - 7
Sturridge - 6
Gini - 5
Emre - 4
Lovren - 2

Mane would be that 15-20 goal scorer everyone has been saying we need in the Firmino thread if he hadn't missed the full month of January and now our final 8 games.  As it is, Firmino and/or Coutinho can reach that magical number 15 before the end of the season. 

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #209 on: April 9, 2017, 12:53:21 am »
PL goals per minute ratio :

Mane             -  173
Coutinho        -  198
Firmino           - 263

Phil is killing it even with a dry spell and is maintaining his 1 in 2 ratio since Klopp took over. Very impressive.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: April 9, 2017, 01:08:45 am »
I very much hope this is the case too, Firmino definitely best placed to do that job for us now but hopefully Jurgen has something/someone else in his sights.

I'm not so sure, Firmino scores at a really good rate when he's up top, he presses really effectively and he links up brilliantly with our other attackers. His biggest dry spells have all come when he's been moved out wide when Coutinho/Mane have been absent, which has happened far too often because of a lack of squad depth in those areas. Considering how robust he's been for us I think he could hit 20 goals next season playing as our main forward, while still contributing plenty to our overall team play which is something a lot of strikers don't offer.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: April 10, 2017, 01:11:01 am »
I was hoping Firmino would be closer to 20 goals this season. He got 10 in the league last year despite mostly being ineffective until the second half of the season, so with a full season of leading the line I was hoping for a little more. Hopefully he can still reach 15.

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #212 on: April 10, 2017, 02:48:03 pm »
Mane - 13
Firmino - 11
Coutinho - 10
Origi - 9
Lallana - 7
Milner - 7
Sturridge - 6
Gini - 5
Emre - 4
Lovren - 2

They showed the top 10 Brazilians on the BBC today. Being honest, I suppose that Costa should really have that title even if he now plays for Spain!

It actually feels like Coutinho as scored more than he actually has this season. Not sure I know why, maybe its because he has scored a lot of key goals for us. Just a shame he has lost over 2 months because of injury and form. Think he should aim to get double that next season if he avoids injury.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #213 on: April 10, 2017, 03:26:56 pm »
Also where can we find the all competition stats from? The offy seems to have the Opta stats which only relate to prem games.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #214 on: April 10, 2017, 03:49:51 pm »
I'm not so sure, Firmino scores at a really good rate when he's up top, he presses really effectively and he links up brilliantly with our other attackers. His biggest dry spells have all come when he's been moved out wide when Coutinho/Mane have been absent, which has happened far too often because of a lack of squad depth in those areas. Considering how robust he's been for us I think he could hit 20 goals next season playing as our main forward, while still contributing plenty to our overall team play which is something a lot of strikers don't offer.

3 goals in 8 from the left and 0 in 2 from the right (where I would agree with you he is far less effective).

I definitely think it's better for both him and us that he mostly plays through the middle, but he's around 1 in 3 from wide areas just like he's around 1 in 3 from central areas, so this idea that if he played through the middle all season he'd score 20 league goals is optimistic imo.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: April 10, 2017, 04:38:03 pm »
3 goals in 8 from the left and 0 in 2 from the right (where I would agree with you he is far less effective).

I definitely think it's better for both him and us that he mostly plays through the middle, but he's around 1 in 3 from wide areas just like he's around 1 in 3 from central areas, so this idea that if he played through the middle all season he'd score 20 league goals is optimistic imo.

Could just be that I remember him scoring a lot more centrally then, mainly in those first few months of the season when everyone was fit, he was 5 in 12 in the league before Coutinho got injured I think. I do think the team as a whole scores more with him up top though, provided we have some pace out wide to make up for his lack of it somewhat. Instead of looking to replace him with a player who scores more centrally I'd rather we brought in more players who compliment him and Coutinho/Mane.

Also where can we find the all competition stats from? The offy seems to have the Opta stats which only relate to prem games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/top-scorers
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 04:40:10 pm by Schmidt »

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: April 11, 2017, 01:38:38 pm »
I was hoping Firmino would be closer to 20 goals this season. He got 10 in the league last year despite mostly being ineffective until the second half of the season, so with a full season of leading the line I was hoping for a little more. Hopefully he can still reach 15.

He hasn't "led the line" for the entire season though.  He played in a wide position for well over a month in the busiest part of the season.  If he had played as the #9 the entire season then I bet he would have upwards of 15 goals already. 

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #217 on: April 11, 2017, 07:04:19 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/top-scorers
Thanks for that, I did look on the BBC first but looks like they have removed the link from the Liverpool home page, just lots of articles/videos and links fixtures & results.

Could just be that I remember him scoring a lot more centrally then, mainly in those first few months of the season when everyone was fit, he was 5 in 12 in the league before Coutinho got injured I think. I do think the team as a whole scores more with him up top though, provided we have some pace out wide to make up for his lack of it somewhat. Instead of looking to replace him with a player who scores more centrally I'd rather we brought in more players who compliment him and Coutinho/Mane.
I think our first preference would be to "upgrade" on our first team players. Out of the front 3 I would say that Firmino is at most risk compared to Coutinho & Mane. If we can find a striker who can offer the the same things as Firmino (movement, link up play etc) as well as pace and better finishing, then why wouldn't we go for someone like that? That's not a slight on Firmino because he would still very much be part of the team. It does seem that he is at his best when Coutinho is in the team (who wouldn't be?) but then it means that losing Coutinho to poor form/injury loses Firmino to an extent as well.

If we can't then obviously the next option will be a pacy forward who can come in for any of the front 3. We may need two if we think that Ings will struggle to come back.

Offline MobileBayRed

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #218 on: April 11, 2017, 07:09:05 pm »
Thanks for that, I did look on the BBC first but looks like they have removed the link from the Liverpool home page, just lots of articles/videos and links fixtures & results.
I think our first preference would be to "upgrade" on our first team players. Out of the front 3 I would say that Firmino is at most risk compared to Coutinho & Mane. If we can find a striker who can offer the the same things as Firmino (movement, link up play etc) as well as pace and better finishing, then why wouldn't we go for someone like that? That's not a slight on Firmino because he would still very much be part of the team. It does seem that he is at his best when Coutinho is in the team (who wouldn't be?) but then it means that losing Coutinho to poor form/injury loses Firmino to an extent as well.

If we can't then obviously the next option will be a pacy forward who can come in for any of the front 3. We may need two if we think that Ings will struggle to come back.

That's the interesting thing for me, and I agree with you, I think this would be preferred.  Right now it seems that when we have to replace any of the front three, our back-up choices don't necessarily fit with the others.  I would think a Firmino2.0 would be preferred over a more traditional striker option.  But we shall see.
just can't confirm that delivery address and consequently gets non stop pelters off PayPal.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: April 11, 2017, 09:20:46 pm »
He hasn't "led the line" for the entire season though.  He played in a wide position for well over a month in the busiest part of the season.  If he had played as the #9 the entire season then I bet he would have upwards of 15 goals already.

Eh, take the season as the whole and he has been our most prominent "striker". The odd game here and there out wide doesn't make THAT much difference. Sturridge and Origi would be getting complained about if they played 30+ games and started 80% of them leading the line, and only had 10 goals. Don't get me wrong, I love Firmino, he's one of my favourite players in the current squad, but you're not winning a title if your main striker is only just surpassing 10 league goals throughout a campaign. (Hopefully he puts another 10 in between now and the end of May to shut me up!)

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
« Reply #220 on: April 11, 2017, 11:27:42 pm »
Am I the only one who picked up on the Kloppo quote of Bobby being able to play in midfield?

Imagine, banana and Bobby being Phil, Sadie and mr X factor

Not Simon cowell...

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: April 11, 2017, 11:33:53 pm »
Looking at goals is kind of superficial in the case of Firmino. I reckon looking at assists, tackles, etc would be more interesting. Reckon Bobby has been involved with 20 PL goals this season

Offline rubber soul

• Kopite
« Reply #222 on: April 12, 2017, 06:30:39 am »
Eh, take the season as the whole and he has been our most prominent "striker". The odd game here and there out wide doesn't make THAT much difference. Sturridge and Origi would be getting complained about if they played 30+ games and started 80% of them leading the line, and only had 10 goals. Don't get me wrong, I love Firmino, he's one of my favourite players in the current squad, but you're not winning a title if your main striker is only just surpassing 10 league goals throughout a campaign. (Hopefully he puts another 10 in between now and the end of May to shut me up!)
As a team we have scored more goals than the team who are going to win the league. Is it essential that one player scores a certain percentage of the goals as long as the goals are scored? It's interesting how a thread which was started to praise the fact that we had players all over the park contributing goals seems to have become a debate on whether the "main striker" for the leagues top scoring team scores enough.

Offline Anfield89

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: April 12, 2017, 06:33:55 am »

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=330352.240

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: April 16, 2017, 07:53:24 pm »

Mane - 13
Firmino - 12
Coutinho - 10
Origi - 9
Lallana - 7
Milner - 7
Sturridge - 6
Gini - 5
Emre - 4
Lovren - 2

I think it's reasonable to think that Bobby can get at least 15 goals, with 5 games remaining, shame Mane is out, he too could have had 15 at a bare minimum.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: May 2, 2017, 12:35:15 am »

Mane - 13
Firmino - 12
Coutinho - 11
Origi - 9
Lallana - 7
Milner - 7
Sturridge - 6
Gini - 5
Emre - 5
Lovren - 2

Excellent return from all of our midfielders [bar Hendo].

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: May 14, 2017, 04:14:17 pm »
Coutinho - 14
Mane - 13
Firmino - 12
Origi - 10
Lallana - 7
Milner - 7
Sturridge - 7
Gini - 5
Emre - 5
Lovren - 2

Despite not having the best of seasons Divock has gotten 10 goals, there is still potential in this lad.

Phil more than likely ends the season as our top goal-scorer.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: May 21, 2017, 05:33:07 pm »
So we end the season with Phil as the top goal-scorer but also goals spread out more than ever before [that I can remember at least]

Coutinho - 14 [8 assists]
Mane - 13 [5 assists]
Firmino - 12 [8 assists]
Origi - 11 [3 assists]
Lallana - 8 [7 assists]
Milner - 7 [3 assissts]
Sturridge - 7 [1 assist]
Gini - 6 [9 assists]
Emre - 5 [2 assists]

Offline vallapureddy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: May 21, 2017, 05:37:18 pm »
Mane would have touched 20 if he didn't miss the games..

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: May 21, 2017, 06:40:45 pm »
So we end the season with Phil as the top goal-scorer but also goals spread out more than ever before [that I can remember at least]

Mane - 13 [5 assists]
Firmino - 12 [8 assists]
Origi - 11 [3 assists]
Lallana - 8 [7 assists]
Milner - 7 [3 assissts]
Sturridge - 7 [1 assist]
Gini - 6 [9 assists]
Emre - 5 [2 assists]

Yep, I can't recall another season like that for us? Having three attacking midfielders/forward and not having a number 9 up front like Sturridge has been a big reason for the spread of goals. I don't think that's going to change too much unless we get an extremely special player this summer.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: May 21, 2017, 06:44:23 pm »
Yep, I can't recall another season like that for us? Having three attacking midfielders/forward and not having a number 9 up front like Sturridge has been a big reason for the spread of goals. I don't think that's going to change too much unless we get an extremely special player this summer.

And also all of our midfielders scoring a cosidereble amount of goals [19 to be exact between Gini,Lallana and Can alone]. A player like Salah would improve us even more, without having to rely on a pure number 9.

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #231 on: May 21, 2017, 06:44:43 pm »

Mane - 13 [5 assists]
Firmino - 12 [8 assists]
Origi - 11 [3 assists]
Lallana - 8 [7 assists]
Milner - 7 [3 assissts]
Sturridge - 7 [1 assist]
Gini - 6 [9 assists]
Emre - 5 [2 assists]

Imagine an out and out cf in that.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: May 21, 2017, 06:47:54 pm »
And also all of our midfielders scoring a cosidereble amount of goals [19 to be exact between Gini,Lallana and Can alone]. A player like Salah would improve us even more, without having to rely on a pure number 9.

Yep, don't want to turn this into a transfer thread but we'll likely be going similar players to what we already have, both in terms of attributes and quality. I'd expect those figures to be similarly spread out next season to.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: May 21, 2017, 06:48:03 pm »
So we scored 78 goals in total. We conceded 42.

78 is good. We won't need to score a lot more than that to challenge for the title. We're better off fixing the defence. That said, I'd still like to have a player who gets around 20 league goals. Chelsea, Tottenham and City have that.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: December 3, 2017, 12:11:56 am »

*cough* I was right about Salah, *cough*  ;)

The stats for this season [in all competitions] thus far. [have not included any of the players who have scored just one goal]

Note: Considering the games Coutinho and Mane have missed thus far, their productivity is really good
Firmino is only one goal behind what he did all of last year, and only 3 assists behind what he ended up at the end of the season

Salah - 17 goals [4 assists]
Firmino - 11 goals [5 assists]
Coutinho - 6 goals [6 assists]
Mane - 5 goals [4 assists]
Can - 4 goals [2 assists]
Sturridge - 3 goals [2 assists]
TAA - 2 goals [1 assist]
Chamberlain - 2 goals [1 assist]

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #235 on: December 3, 2017, 12:20:20 am »
*cough* I was right about Salah, *cough*  ;)

The stats for this season [in all competitions] thus far. [have not included any of the players who have scored just one goal]

Note: Considering the games Coutinho and Mane have missed thus far, their productivity is really good
Firmino is only one goal behind what he did all of last year, and only 3 assists behind what he ended up at the end of the season

Salah - 17 goals [4 assists]
Firmino - 11 goals [5 assists]
Coutinho - 6 goals [6 assists]
Mane - 5 goals [4 assists]
Can - 4 goals [2 assists]
Sturridge - 3 goals [2 assists]
TAA - 2 goals [1 assist]
Chamberlain - 2 goals [1 assist]

In terms of impact per 90 minutes, Mane and Salah are basically doing a Sturridge and Suarez, with Firmino doing a Sterling and Coutinho being Coutinho. We could push ourselves into contention if the Manc clubs slip up, as long as we keep that production going in the front three. But we desperately need one of our defenders to start popping up with goals soon.
Better looking than Samie.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: December 3, 2017, 12:46:01 am »
In terms of impact per 90 minutes, Mane and Salah are basically doing a Sturridge and Suarez, with Firmino doing a Sterling and Coutinho being Coutinho. We could push ourselves into contention if the Manc clubs slip up, as long as we keep that production going in the front three. But we desperately need one of our defenders to start popping up with goals soon.

And our defenders to improve defensively  ;D, but yes that's one area where we haven't seen much of productivity [from our defenders].

I believe Matip has scored one goal. Trent certainly has the ability to contribute more in that area.

Outside of that, there's also Lallana who will contribute once he's fit from midfield, and I imagine that Chamberlain will do a bit more [and more than he did for Arsenal, gut feeling]

Offline theredyank

• Main Stander
« Reply #237 on: December 5, 2017, 11:49:54 pm »

That's a good point. Johnson and Skrtel's goals were really important that season.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: December 6, 2017, 01:28:12 am »
That's a good point. Johnson and Skrtel's goals were really important that season.

I don't recall Johnson scoring goals that year.

Offline LifeOfARed

• Boys Pen
« Reply #239 on: December 6, 2017, 07:32:13 am »
As well as replace Gerrard's penalties. We dont have a consistent pk taker this season