Author Topic: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)  (Read 327819 times)

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Jill's gorra boss Worcester Combi! (aka the weather thread)
« Reply #5400 on: February 2, 2023, 12:08:21 pm »

In lieu of Rob giving us his roving reservoir reports, I can say that I've seen Thirlmere and Booth Wood Reservoir up close in the past few weeks, and both were full to the brim.

(looking at UU's reservoir levels, it does look like northern reservoirs are above average for the time of year, whilst Dee/Vyrnwy levels a little below. Nothing to be concerned about, though)

Not been over that way for a bit now, but that's good.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5401 on: February 2, 2023, 07:03:25 pm »
Flowers out on Lark Lane. They were actually coming out about ten days ago. They're not even daffodils, it's mad.

Yesterday felt like a typical February day: blustery but energetic and invigorating. Today felt more like late March than early-Feb. Unnaturally spring-like. I have to remind myself that it's still technically winter.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5402 on: February 2, 2023, 07:45:19 pm »
10.5c outside right now

Flowers out on Lark Lane. They were actually coming out about ten days ago. They're not even daffodils, it's mad.

Yesterday felt like a typical February day: blustery but energetic and invigorating. Today felt more like late March than early-Feb. Unnaturally spring-like. I have to remind myself that it's still technically winter.

Do you remember about 4 or 5 years ago it was about 22c in Feb?
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5403 on: February 3, 2023, 03:54:57 pm »
Sunny and windy 21f -7 c ,it feels like 0 f ,-21 c and dropping down this afternoon .Hope the pipes don't freeze!

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #5404 on: February 3, 2023, 03:57:04 pm »
Sunny and windy 21f -7 c ,it feels like 0 f ,-21 c and dropping down this afternoon .Hope the pipes don't freeze!

-30c, wind chill of -41c up here.... brutal

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #5405 on: February 3, 2023, 04:05:55 pm »
Is that bad even for Montreal or do you get periods of weather like that most winters?
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #5406 on: February 3, 2023, 04:14:50 pm »
Is that bad even for Montreal or do you get periods of weather like that most winters?

i think in the 8 years ive been here maybe second time its been that cold? The snot freezes in your nose, its a pretty odd sensation!

from jan-march its usually between -5 and -20 with the odd few days/week that pushes a bit colder

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5407 on: February 3, 2023, 04:28:37 pm »
It's forecast to be beautiful here on Sunday.

Sunny, warm and barely a breeze so it's a busy day in the garden planned.  Raised veg beds to be built and Paul wants to mow the grass ☺️

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5408 on: February 3, 2023, 04:36:56 pm »
i think in the 8 years ive been here maybe second time its been that cold? The snot freezes in your nose, its a pretty odd sensation!

from jan-march its usually between -5 and -20 with the odd few days/week that pushes a bit colder
The -5 to -20 sounds brutal enough, never mind the -30. 🥶
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #5409 on: February 3, 2023, 04:38:49 pm »

Crosby recorded -17c in December 10 with temps a degree or two colder inland.

It never felt that much colder than, say -5c

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #5410 on: February 3, 2023, 04:41:42 pm »

theres a point after about -10 where cold is cold. you dont feel the difference of -15 and -30 the same way as +15 and +30. to me anyway

and its a dry cold here too, not a damp humid one like in the UK. which makes a big difference

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #5411 on: February 3, 2023, 04:43:20 pm »

It's more a case of the nasal hairs and the membrane of the nostrels' interior that's reacting to a combination of cold air and (usually) relatively low humidity. I've only encountered it in the north of Sweden and occasionally here in Tallinn when it's not so moist - and it usually only hits when you go past -20 but yeah it's a weird-as-fuck feeling - and I like it ;D

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5412 on: February 3, 2023, 05:40:47 pm »
24/7
Likes to feel his nose hairs freezing.

;D
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5413 on: February 3, 2023, 06:47:52 pm »
10.5c outside right now

I'm not sure it was even that long ago. It was unseasonably warm definitely. We kind of hoped at the time it was just a fluke. That said, I didn't notice any flowers blooming ahead of schedule.

Been over to West Kirby today, loads of small yellow flowers popping up. The gnats are out too.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5414 on: February 3, 2023, 06:56:28 pm »
10.5c outside right now

I do, end of February 19 when it was 20C ::)
#Sausages

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5415 on: February 3, 2023, 06:59:45 pm »
I do, end of February 19 when it was 20C ::)

Yeah that was it, sat in the garden in a t shirt.

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #5416 on: February 3, 2023, 07:01:47 pm »

Montreal is -26C right now, & go as low as -27C later on, yet forecasted to go to to +2C on Sunday, & +6C midweek next week. :o
#Sausages

Offline ShatnersBassoon

• Kopite
« Reply #5417 on: February 3, 2023, 07:13:24 pm »
Montreal is -26C right now, & go as low as -27C later on, yet forecasted to go to to +2C on Sunday, & +6C midweek next week. :o

yeah its been warmer than normal this winter generally. and was only -1 yesterday. just plummeted overnight.

im about an hour north of montreal too in the laurentian mountains so its even colder

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #5418 on: February 4, 2023, 10:08:05 pm »

My dad has a cousin who lives in Medicine Hat but spends a fair amount of time in Winnipeg, says the cold can be horrible with the wind, regularly -30.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5419 on: February 5, 2023, 01:37:26 pm »
It's quite pleasant out there. I just went for a walk around Sefton Park. Sunny intervals and 9°c, which is shorts weather for me. A few plants showing themselves. Buskers, dogs galore. Lovely. Roll on spring.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5420 on: February 5, 2023, 03:10:17 pm »
I'm off to Dublin next week, looks like the weather will be similar to Liverpool. Maybe a tad cooler and slightly more cloudy, but I'll take that over rain any day.

Popcorn's Art

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5421 on: February 6, 2023, 06:27:01 pm »
Some interesting stuff in here about weather forecasting and general instability in the world. The stuff about how in the 50s it was mooted that using nuclear weapons to prevent hurricanes forming is jaw-dropping.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230203-why-the-world-feels-so-unstable-right-now

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5422 on: February 6, 2023, 06:27:30 pm »
-109 f wind chill on top of Mt. Washington NH,during the storm,https://www.wmur.com/article/meteorologist-describes-record-breaking-cold-atop-mount-washington/42763378
Our bathroom tap froze up Friday night i was checking it regular and got it going within half hour,made sure we left it running overnight,next up the heating bill in a couple of weeks.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5423 on: February 6, 2023, 06:43:11 pm »
-109 f wind chill on top of Mt. Washington NH,during the storm,https://www.wmur.com/article/meteorologist-describes-record-breaking-cold-atop-mount-washington/42763378
Our bathroom tap froze up Friday night i was checking it regular and got it going within half hour,made sure we left it running overnight,next up the heating bill in a couple of weeks.
That's just insane stuff - straight out of Day After Tomorrow..........were any helicopters flying around there at the time?!

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #5424 on: February 8, 2023, 12:57:16 pm »
10.5c outside right now

I remember it well. Town was full of people on the piss in shorts and t shirts. It gets to about 7pm and they all looked freezing .   ;D
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5425 on: February 8, 2023, 12:58:58 pm »
I remember it well. Town was full of people on the piss in shorts and t shirts. It gets to about 7pm and they all looked freezing .   ;D
Got a great mental image of you cycling past them all and laughing yer head off ;D

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5426 on: February 8, 2023, 01:04:20 pm »
Chilly but nice and sunny here in Liverpool today.  8)

Walking the dog earlier I noticed a lot of Crocus have opened up.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5427 on: February 8, 2023, 01:16:25 pm »
Got a great mental image of you cycling past them all and laughing yer head off ;D

I had me sandals on and me boots in me delivery bag for the evening.    ;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5428 on: February 8, 2023, 01:24:06 pm »
I had me sandals on and me boots in me delivery bag for the evening.    ;D

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5429 on: February 8, 2023, 01:32:11 pm »
Some interesting stuff in here about weather forecasting and general instability in the world. The stuff about how in the 50s it was mooted that using nuclear weapons to prevent hurricanes forming is jaw-dropping.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20230203-why-the-world-feels-so-unstable-right-now

Putting my nerd hat on, this bit is wrong:

In October 1987, BBC weather forecaster Michael Fish told viewers not to worry about strong winds that turned out to be the worst storm southern England had experienced in 300 years, just the day before it happened.

It's one of the most misrepresented events I can think of.

Fish said that a woman had called in to say she'd heard a hurricane was heading our way.

There'd been a hurricane (Floyd) battering Florida at the time, and he assumed this was what she was referring to (and probably narked, thinking of the erroneous cliche about us getting America's weather a week later). As the hurricane wasn't heading to the UK (and it's practically impossible for a genuine hurricane to reach the UK, given 'hurricane' is a term for a storm with specific characteristics) he said we shouldn't worry, because there isn't.

He did go on, in that forecast, to warn of strong winds from a normal storm.

As it happens, the UK storm intensified rapidly and unexpectedly and did produce hurricane-force winds. But, given the dumbing down of the news and the general hysteria of the print media, nobody bothered to correct people who created the false narrative that Fish had got it terribly wrong because we'd been hit by the hurricane he said wasn't coming.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5430 on: February 8, 2023, 01:44:45 pm »
I remember the actual forecast on the day. Fish was stitched up. The media here love a fall guy. Just love having someone to blame and kick. Fish has been battered ever since.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5431 on: February 8, 2023, 01:46:31 pm »
I studied this storm just two years later on my training at the Met Office College. Two additional things to take into account:

1) the storm was gaining strength in the Bay of Biscay and normally the track would take it through the channel and across North France.

2) in the critical 24 hours prior to the storm hitting the UK, it was said that French Air Traffic Control staff were on strike, so vital observations that would have given a heads-up as to track and intensity were not made, therefore the Met Office in the UK was under the false impression that things were nowhere near as bad as they were - can't forecast what you can't see.

I remember the actual forecast on the day. Fish was stitched up. The media here love a fall guy. Just love having someone to blame and kick. Fish has been battered ever since.
That's taking punnery to a new scale...

Online rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5432 on: February 8, 2023, 02:13:16 pm »

Badum tish

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5433 on: February 8, 2023, 02:23:29 pm »

You should've seen me last summer when it was dead hot . I had a wet sarong wrapped around me head and a linen Indian shirt on . I did get funny looks when I was dipping the sarong in the fountain in Sevvie park.   ;D

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #5434 on: February 8, 2023, 02:58:52 pm »
Fuck this.. after working in tropical/sub tropical regions in the global south for more than a decade, the UK sucks. Its fucking freezing. 7 degs now, but it was -4 in the morning. Why the fuck do people want to come here? Miserable 😖

Phuk yoo

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5435 on: February 8, 2023, 02:59:37 pm »
You should've seen me last summer when it was dead hot . I had a wet sarong wrapped around me head and a linen Indian shirt on . I did get funny looks when I was dipping the sarong in the fountain in Sevvie park.   ;D
:lmao

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5436 on: February 8, 2023, 02:59:59 pm »
I studied this storm just two years later on my training at the Met Office College. Two additional things to take into account:

1) the storm was gaining strength in the Bay of Biscay and normally the track would take it through the channel and across North France.

2) in the critical 24 hours prior to the storm hitting the UK, it was said that French Air Traffic Control staff were on strike, so vital observations that would have given a heads-up as to track and intensity were not made, therefore the Met Office in the UK was under the false impression that things were nowhere near as bad as they were - can't forecast what you can't see.

That's taking punnery to a new scale...

It's just not finny.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5437 on: February 9, 2023, 11:30:17 am »
A bit chilly...

Forecasters say the coldest wind chill ever has been recorded in the continental US as an Arctic cold snap freezes a swathe of North America.

The National Weather Service (NWS) said the icy gusts on Mount Washington in New Hampshire on Friday produced a wind chill of -108F (-78C).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-64485092

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
« Reply #5438 on: February 10, 2023, 05:53:04 am »

You could say he was done up like a kipper
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5439 on: February 10, 2023, 08:15:06 pm »
You could say he was done up like a kipper
Yep. I was gutted for him.