Author Topic: 2017-18 Champions League / European Cup last 16  (Read 258467 times)

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
Re: 2017-18 Champions League / European Cup last 16
« Reply #3120 on: March 8, 2018, 08:50:46 am »
Still chuckling to myself. Boy did they blow that. In fairness they were the better side over the 2 legs but haven`t learnt yet to kill off a game (something we lacked for quite a while until relatively recently).

Think son is a great player by the way. Would love him in our squad.

If you got to bits when a tiny bit of pressure is introduced, in this case the equaliser, there's nothing down for you

They really went full Spurs last night. Reminded me of England actually
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3121 on: March 8, 2018, 09:05:45 am »
Chiellini. What a man of class, what a great personality and top 3 defender of last decade.

Still remember he started his career as a left back. And rafa was interested.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3122 on: March 8, 2018, 09:12:35 am »
Still chuckling to myself. Boy did they blow that. In fairness they were the better side over the 2 legs but haven`t learnt yet to kill off a game (something we lacked for quite a while until relatively recently).

Think son is a great player by the way. Would love him in our squad.

Thing is they should have been 3-1 down at HT in first leg but they weren't. They did well to battle back but no tie is ever over at 2-2.

Small margins at this stage and they were the wrong side of it last night.

They have no experience of winning trophies despite being touted as one of the best teams in England. We have got closer than them to silverware but still not over the line.

Poch now has to keep squad together as he has clearly done well but if the stadium costs are spiralling then Levy may cash in on Kane.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3123 on: March 8, 2018, 10:04:00 am »
Chiellini. What a man of class, what a great personality and top 3 defender of last decade.

So good you could just eat him...

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3124 on: March 8, 2018, 10:11:55 am »
Still remember he started his career as a left back. And rafa was interested.
Just came across this, while looking into that

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11669/6427174/reds-eye-french-starlet

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3125 on: March 8, 2018, 10:12:19 am »
You have to say that supporters of sides from other nations shit all over the support and atmosphere found in English stadiums. The Porto and Basel fans were magnificent in supporting their teams even though it was a lost cause, and other than the occasional "Oh when the Spurs...." for Tottenham they were poor as well for having 80,000+ odd supporters watching them.
They have 2 chants - that one, and "Harry Kane, he's one of our own" - both shite and irritating.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3126 on: March 8, 2018, 10:22:56 am »
They have 2 chants - that one, and "Harry Kane, he's one of our own" - both shite and irritating.

I heard a few more than that when we played them in October. I remember the Dele Alli one about being better than Ozil (to the Billy Ray Cyrus tune) but there were a few more I think.

Offline Redsnappa

• Pining for No.20
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks Shanks for Tosh and Kev.
« Reply #3127 on: March 8, 2018, 10:25:53 am »
I heard a few more than that when we played them in October. I remember the Dele Alli one about being better than Ozil (to the Billy Ray Cyrus tune) but there were a few more I think.

That dreadful 'We are Tottenham, super Tottenham from the Lane ' thing as well.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3128 on: March 8, 2018, 10:40:43 am »

Up there with Chelsea's songs.

They just have no creativity do the southerners.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3129 on: March 8, 2018, 10:48:25 am »
Pretty sure Pochettino took a dig at us there saying other teams had an easier route
I'm pretty sure he was talking about Juventus  ;D
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline elsewhere

• Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think I mean African, so...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3130 on: March 8, 2018, 10:56:01 am »
Still can’t believe the way they fucked up in that 2nd Juve goal, Sunderland defending right there.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #3131 on: March 8, 2018, 11:33:11 am »

That's an over reach - I know everyone loves him and he's got that 100% give everything way of playing but he doesn't have the quality to be viewed at the level you've described. There are several better defenders who don't have to be constantly on the edge and honestly he was in trouble against this spurs team a lot in the two legs

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3132 on: March 8, 2018, 11:34:37 am »
That's an over reach - I know everyone loves him and he's got that 100% give everything way of playing but he doesn't have the quality to be viewed at the level you've described. There are several better defenders who don't have to be constantly on the edge and honestly he was in trouble against this spurs team a lot in the two legs

I don't think it's an overreach to say he's top 3 of the last decade. This isn't a great era for CBs at all or even full backs really. Dani Alves is the only bona fide all-time great in my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2018, 11:36:47 am by Gerry Attrick »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3133 on: March 8, 2018, 11:36:34 am »
That Dybala finish is beautiful.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3134 on: March 8, 2018, 11:38:16 am »
The way Chiellini was playing yesterday, we would have battered them. He was awful on the ball and Spurs are not as good as us at exploiting that and dont have our attacking talent.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3135 on: March 8, 2018, 11:41:04 am »
I don't think it's an overreach to say he's top 3 of the last decade. This isn't a great era for CBs at all or even full backs really. Dani Alves is the only bona fide all-time great in my opinion.

Ahem

Jokes aside, you don't include Lahm in there?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3136 on: March 8, 2018, 11:41:41 am »
The way Chiellini was playing yesterday, we would have battered them. He was awful on the ball and Spurs are not as good as us at exploiting that and dont have our attacking talent.

Think Dele Alli has been a weakness this season. Seems to have gone off the boil.

The other front 3 are great players.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3137 on: March 8, 2018, 11:42:59 am »
Ahem

Jokes aside, you don't include Lahm in there?

:D

I forgot about Lahm, I'd include him too.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3138 on: March 8, 2018, 11:45:47 am »
Ramos is an all-time great. Couldn't care less if he's error prone against Getafe and Espanyol, he steps it up on the biggest occasions. Can't argue with 3 CL's, a World Cup and two Euro's.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3139 on: March 8, 2018, 11:46:32 am »
Ramos is an all-time great. Couldn't care less if he's error prone against Getafe and Espanyol, he steps it up on the biggest occasions. Can't argue with 3 CL's, a World Cup and a Euro's.

I think he'll be remembered more for his goals than actual defending though.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3140 on: March 8, 2018, 11:48:02 am »
I think he'll be remembered more for his goals than actual defending though.

Possibly, but I think that's unfair. His defending was brilliant in the 2016 final.

Could throw in Pique too but I don't rate him as highly and think he's had bigger, longer dips in his career.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #3141 on: March 8, 2018, 11:51:58 am »
Ramos and Lahm are funny ones to clarify. Ramos played right back as the width for the Spain team that won 3 trophies on the bounce, and then as a CB he's got three Champions Leagues with many important goals along those routes.

Lahm a great full back and then Guardiola turned him into a pivot for a team that more than dominated the Bundesliga 3 seasons in a row and you think 'wow he's more than a full back he's Gerrard-level of being able to affect all areas of the pitch'.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3142 on: March 8, 2018, 11:55:20 am »
Think Dele Alli has been a weakness this season. Seems to have gone off the boil.

The other front 3 are great players.

They are good individual players but they are no way as good or as effective as our 3. Our 3 are in the top 5 in terms of attacking quality in Europe.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3143 on: March 8, 2018, 11:59:47 am »
Ramos and Lahm are funny ones to clarify. Ramos played right back as the width for the Spain team that won 3 trophies on the bounce, and then as a CB he's got three Champions Leagues with many important goals along those routes.

Lahm a great full back and then Guardiola turned him into a pivot for a team that more than dominated the Bundesliga 3 seasons in a row and you think 'wow he's more than a full back he's Gerrard-level of being able to affect all areas of the pitch'.

Ramos was a centre-back for Spain in 2012 tbf. I'm not sure Lahm played central midfield for as long as you think either - wasn't it a bit of a one-season wonder thing?

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #3144 on: March 8, 2018, 12:11:38 pm »

If you look at football formations in 4 "bands" instead of 3, then theoretically any player should be able to play across their "band" (Goalkeeper doesn't apply, as the keeper is a legal requirement for every team):

So a fullback playing in DM, and doing well, is not really a surprise, ever, because that's the "band" with the same tasks - block, tackle, mark, play the outball, push up, and cover central defenders.

More managers should be moving fullbacks into defensive mid, and vice versa, frankly ;D

Better looking than Samie.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #3145 on: March 8, 2018, 12:25:42 pm »
Ramos was a centre-back for Spain in 2012 tbf. I'm not sure Lahm played central midfield for as long as you think either - wasn't it a bit of a one-season wonder thing?

In 2013-14 he played midfield - not all season, but a decent amount. A few games in other seasons too, but that was the only season I think he had a stretch of games there. He was injured for quite a big section of Guardiola's second season there. And then the last season he played as RB more or less whole season.

Offline Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #3146 on: March 8, 2018, 12:31:23 pm »
If you look at football formations in 4 "bands" instead of 3, then theoretically any player should be able to play across their "band" (Goalkeeper doesn't apply, as the keeper is a legal requirement for every team):

So a fullback playing in DM, and doing well, is not really a surprise, ever, because that's the "band" with the same tasks - block, tackle, mark, play the outball, push up, and cover central defenders.

More managers should be moving fullbacks into defensive mid, and vice versa, frankly ;D

Wouldn't this only be true with the truly technical Fullbacks though? The majority now are quick, almost old fashioned winger type players.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3147 on: March 8, 2018, 12:34:30 pm »

Love the way he and Bufon celebrate great defensive plays.  You can tell they view them just as importantly as a goal.  That sliding clearance Chiellini made when Kane was coming in behind was a game saving play and he celebrated appropriately. 

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3148 on: March 8, 2018, 12:47:15 pm »

Doesn't a good full back need a very different skillset to a DM though? So a good DM can get away with perhaps not being so athletic whereas a good fullback needs to have the physicality to work the wing and be involved in numerous 1 on 1 foot races thoughout a game? Also a good cross isn't necessarily an important thing for a DM but good full backs need to have that.

And doesn't a good DM need a different type of spacial awareness (being aware of passing lanes to cover, knowing when to cover which full back, etc) and a different range of passing?

Top full backs (Ashley Cole, Dani Alves, etc) seem to have a very different skillset to top DMs (Serge Busquets, Didi Hamann, etc) - I don't think those players could slot into each others roles. So when a player like Lahm or Alaba does manage to excel in both it's actually quite unique, no?

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #3149 on: March 8, 2018, 12:58:04 pm »
Yes I'm remembering Guardiola trying the inside full-backs last season with Clichy and Sanga which didn't work at all.

POP thanks for your reply. I have an interview in a couple of hours so think its a bad idea to start thinking really hard (for once ;D) about football rather than Broadcast but I'll get back to you!

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3150 on: March 8, 2018, 02:31:53 pm »

Flannagan at DM worked pretty nicely for a couple of games. If you're happy with your DM not being a particularly creative player, although he's a pretty accomplished passer, you can see the attraction (if you have an abundance of fullbacks, or prefer better athletes to cover the flank).

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3151 on: March 8, 2018, 02:53:52 pm »
Doesn't a good full back need a very different skillset to a DM though? So a good DM can get away with perhaps not being so athletic whereas a good fullback needs to have the physicality to work the wing and be involved in numerous 1 on 1 foot races thoughout a game? Also a good cross isn't necessarily an important thing for a DM but good full backs need to have that.

Athleticism isn't a "skill" per se, it's a "condition". The only difference is the scope of the runs - fullbacks run up and down, DMs go side to side. Also, a cross and a long ball are the same technique, so it's just a different application between the two.

And doesn't a good DM need a different type of spacial awareness (being aware of passing lanes to cover, knowing when to cover which full back, etc) and a different range of passing?

Not really. Every player in the defensive phase as 6 points of reference - the ball, distance to the ball, the other attackers, distance to goal, position of team-mates, and the offside line. The only things that change with different positions is the emphasis on which reference point.

Top full backs (Ashley Cole, Dani Alves, etc) seem to have a very different skillset to top DMs (Serge Busquets, Didi Hamann, etc) - I don't think those players could slot into each others roles. So when a player like Lahm or Alaba does manage to excel in both it's actually quite unique, no?

It's only unique because it's not done very often. My point is that there's no earthly reason for it to be unique.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3152 on: March 8, 2018, 02:55:12 pm »
Wouldn't this only be true with the truly technical Fullbacks though? The majority now are quick, almost old fashioned winger type players.

That's a good point. Yes, this applies more to "true" fullbacks, rather than converted wingers or wingbacks. Although probably more converted wingers, as wingbacks tend to just be fullbacks who like to get forward ;D

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3153 on: March 8, 2018, 03:18:15 pm »
In the 4-3-3 depicted above, I'd have thought a full-back's skills are generally more transferable to the interior band than the holding midfielder's.

Alaba is a great example - he doesn't hold for Austria, he's very much box-to-box.
« Last Edit: March 8, 2018, 03:20:17 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3154 on: March 8, 2018, 03:24:36 pm »

Athleticism isn't a "skill" per se, it's a "condition". The only difference is the scope of the runs - fullbacks run up and down, DMs go side to side. Also, a cross and a long ball are the same technique, so it's just a different application between the two.

Not really. Every player in the defensive phase as 6 points of reference - the ball, distance to the ball, the other attackers, distance to goal, position of team-mates, and the offside line. The only things that change with different positions is the emphasis on which reference point.

It's only unique because it's not done very often. My point is that there's no earthly reason for it to be unique.

Cheers, haven't really thought about it like that. It still doesn't seem 'right' to me though! When I think of players who are really good DMs (Busquets, Hamann, Matic, etc) I just can't see them translating that to full back. Likewise, Cashley, Alves, Evra, etc wouldn't, from my limited knowledge, be anywhere near as effective as DM. Think that's why I'm struggling to accept it!

Some players I definitely can see it though - Mascherano and Glen Johnson, for example, could probably have made the transition, but it's not like they're the majority.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3155 on: March 8, 2018, 03:27:42 pm »
Cheers, haven't really thought about it like that. It still doesn't seem 'right' to me though! When I think of players who are really good DMs (Busquets, Hamann, Matic, etc) I just can't see them translating that to full back. Likewise, Cashley, Alves, Evra, etc wouldn't, from my limited knowledge, be anywhere near as effective as DM. Think that's why I'm struggling to accept it!

Some players I definitely can see it though - Mascherano and Glen Johnson, for example, could probably have made the transition, but it's not like they're the majority.

Matic would be an excellent fullback! ;D As I think would Hamann have been.

People are too allied to "positions", but positions don't really exist, only skills and athleticism, suited to the area of the field. That's why teams who do a lot of small sided games in training always have flexible players and formations, because once you go to 4v4 or 5v5 or something like that, positions stop existing, and there's only "where should you be in this moment?".

It's like "Total Football" didn't teach anyone anything ;D

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3156 on: March 8, 2018, 03:30:38 pm »

People are too allied to "positions", but positions don't really exist, only skills and athleticism, suited to the area of the field. That's why teams who do a lot of small sided games in training always have flexible players and formations, because once you go to 4v4 or 5v5 or something like that, positions stop existing, and there's only "where should you be in this moment?".

Fair enough! I've never envisaged Matic or Hamann as being the right type of athlete to play full back but fully admit that's my own ignorance :)

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3157 on: March 8, 2018, 03:31:30 pm »
In the 4-3-3 depicted above, I'd have thought a full-back's skills are generally more transferable to the interior band than the holding midfielder's.

Alaba is a great example - he doesn't hold for Austria, he's very much box-to-box.

It's certainly not a hard and fast rule - my point was that the SKILLS for each band are the same, so theoretically, a player SHOULD be able to switch positions within their band. The second (implied) point was that fullbacks don't actually play on the same line as the centre halves when it comes down to it - they're not advanced like wingers, but they're also not pure defenders like centre halves - they are on the same line as DM's, but with more scope to get forward, so they get placed in that line, which means their skillsets should be broadly similar to the DM, in the way that wingers have broadly the same skillsets as strikers, and CM's have much the same skillsets too.

There's plenty of room for regional differences in this idea, though ;D

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #3158 on: March 8, 2018, 03:31:58 pm »
in isolation that was probably one of our greatest results of all time. The team we had had no business getting through against an obscenely good juve team. Only a 2-1 lead to protect in probably the most intimidating away we could possibly play. What a night.

It’s incredible really. That bench is so inexperienced. The only senior pros were Smicer who at that point had barely featured all season and Cisse who I think saw his first action that night since his leg break in October.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3159 on: March 8, 2018, 03:36:08 pm »

I agree with your wider point that we're too fixated on positions (and have long felt managers should experiment more - it's something I really liked about Rodgers!), but on this specific discussion it feels like you're under-estimating athleticism and over-estimating skills a little.

Matic certainly has some of the skills to be an 'excellent' full-back, but he lacks the fundamental athleticism to be a sustained success there at an elite level IMO. Could you imagine Mané or Oxlade up against him on Saturday with space to run into? Sure, his excellent reading of the game would help, but eventually he's going to get burned.

Going forward, too, I think he simply lacks the pace and agility to be effective on the overlap.

I think your diagram on the previous page would have been accurate ten years ago, and it probably still is at lower levels with more defensive-minded full-backs, but it's moved on at the very top now. Generally, full-backs' average positions and general skills are more in line with a box-to-box midfielder's than a holding midfielder's.

Of course, it's all player and system dependent though  :)  (As your reply to me which I've only just seen basically summarises!)
« Last Edit: March 8, 2018, 03:39:08 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »