Author Topic: Liverpool FC - 3 - 0 FC Gomel (FT) Borini, Gerrard, Johnson  (Read 57000 times)

Offline steveeastend

• Learnt to play them drums
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool FC - 3 - 0 FC Gomel (FT) Borini, Gerrard, Johnson
« Reply #360 on: August 10, 2012, 10:58:59 am »
New manager, new ideas and philosophy to get across to the players, two competitive games, interrupted pre-season due to the Euros and Olympics, signings have not been finalised.

A bit of patience goes a long way.

Yeah, but our fixtures list at the beginning of the season is very though. We have no time to loose, to be ready right at the beginning of the season.
One thing does need to be said: in the post-Benitez era, there was media-led clamour (but also some politicking going on at the club) to make the club more English; the idea being that the club had lost the very essence of what it means to be ‘Liverpool’. Guillem Ballague 18/11/10

Offline gandalf50

• Kopite
  • Named "Most Naive poster on Rawk" by L666kop
« Reply #361 on: August 10, 2012, 11:00:41 am »
You got this from last night? I personally was surprised by the stark differences between our play last night and Swansea's when I saw them last season.

The passing was faster and we exploited Gomel's obvious weakness (defence too far apart and holding a really high line) by playing balls over the top for Suarez to run onto. I don't remember Swansea doing too much of that last season. That to me illustrates that a) he knows how to maximise our strengths and b) he knows how to exploit weaknesses in the opposition.

I don't really see what would be so bad about being an "improved version of Swansea" anyway.
He already said early on that he fits his system around personnel available. Still when they tightened up in the second half we found it harder to break them down.
I am not sure if we are going to be as solid defensively under Rodgers as we were under Kenny and Rafa.
There really isn't.  I think a lot of us, even our own have started doubting it. It's time to rise up. And take what is rightfully ours. It's a big mountain, but what is the point in achieving something, which everyone can?

Fate has given us a mountain too big. We have to rise. We have to believe.

fowler9_god

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #362 on: August 10, 2012, 11:02:02 am »
Yeah, but our fixtures list at the beginning of the season is very though tough. We have no time to loose lose, to be ready right at the beginning of the season.

Sorry the pedant in me rules. :)

Who says we won't be ready? We have Leverkusen Sunday and BR can give the youngsters a chance. Put some trust in the manager.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline NeilMac

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #363 on: August 10, 2012, 11:03:55 am »
Have been - because 'dropped points' is plural.

It could be either "has" or "have". It depends how you look at the subject and complement. The subject is an impersonal "it" which would require "has" (the "it" standing for something like "the situation"). But because the subject is an impersonal, singular "it", strangely in English, we can have a plural complement "dropped points", which does not make logical sense in strict grammatical terms. The plural complement would allow "have". In English where we have singular subject and plural complement we usually make the verb plural, probably because the plural complement is nearer to it than the subject.

How's that for pedantry?

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: August 10, 2012, 11:04:27 am »
Yeah, but our fixtures list at the beginning of the season is very though. We have no time to loose, to be ready right at the beginning of the season.

I'd say the difference between our play in the last leg and in this leg was staggering. We're making progress, we're not there yet, but as everyone has said (manager and players) it is something that will take time. Not much we can do with the fixtures we've been dealt, but it's certainly not going to help jumping on the managers back when the first few results don't go our way.

Got to give it time, regardless of the fixtures.

Offline sattapaartridge

• The new 'pete price' of RAWK.
  • Legacy Fan
  • @sattapaal
« Reply #365 on: August 10, 2012, 11:13:23 am »
Good game, good high tempo, good pressing, and most importantly, we scored some goals.

I worried that Lucas got too much game time. I dont want to over play this guy because he's too important in a position we lack depth in.

Baffled though, that we named 3 central midfielders on the subs bench and didnt name a winger! Thought Sterling or Pacheco should have at least have made it there.
did you know that 10 x 2 and 11 x 2 have the same answer?

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #366 on: August 10, 2012, 11:14:12 am »
Did he get all the goal assist?
Man of the match and had a huge hand in all 3 goals:

Two wonderful assists(well, the first a ricochet that fell to Fabio), the second was a breathless, surgeon-like square for Gerrard to tap-in and the 3rd was a blocked shot that fell to Glen who let it bounce once and met it on the volley.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Uruguayan36

• Loose Wires mouthpiece
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #367 on: August 10, 2012, 11:24:46 am »
Watched the game last night and  was very pleased with what I saw. Lets get the bad out of the way first though.

Profligacy. We still got it. Wasted a lot of good chances and possession in around the box. We coughed up possession easily, but not as a result of crappiness in the middle or backline, but because we were wasteful in the last third.

Scariness. Ho boy, the high jinks at the back with the ball are more than a little nerve-wracking. Playing around opposition strikers in our own box... I could feel the hair on my head standing up at one point. Buck needs to stop watching them Barca videos.

Opposition. Weren't very good, which makes it hard judge how good a performance it was. For example, in the hurly burly of the premiership will that high back line and attempts to play out of defence come undone more regularly

Sourness. Some sour points for a few of the players. Shelvey I feel was trying too hard, lucky not to be carded earlier and his driving runs to nowhere seemed to be borne of a desire to be the new Gerrard. He was much more effective when he played it simple. Downing, much more involved and penetrative, but them final balls still feel pointless to me. Adam. Came on, played a sumptuous ball out the left off his outside boot, floated like a bee as his opposite number sprinted past him with the ball, stung like a butterfly as he blundered into the back of his opponent later on, giving away a cheap free for no reason. Some things never change.

But these are real nitpicks in what, overall, was an extremely positive game. Why? Well firstly Buck picked the exact side I would have picked (bar maybe Shelvey for Henderson, but much of a muchness) had I been manager. And he set them up to play exactly how I would have wanted, so he must be right, right?

Jesting aside, the 433 really suited those players. Enrique and Johnson, let loose up the wing and removed of the need to defend in depth, are excellent attacking options and looked much happier in that role. Agger is made to play a highline (no coincidence that after that game Buck was fulsome in his praise and desire to keep Agger. Seeing him in action is an education) and Skrtel is just happy to have the Dane beside him to clean everything up. So, a happy settled backline, but ably assisted by an active midfield. Lucas was a joy to behold, at one point sprinting at a player. Player passed the ball on, Lucas kept sprinting and ran ball, player and himself off the pitch. Marvellous. Shelvey was a bit skittish and unsure, but provided a useful function, linking to Lucas and Gerrard. Gerrard though. How much more effective and happy is he to be given free reign without the drudgery of tracking back at his age. It was like 2008/9 all over again as Rodgers had him reprise his attacking role. Best I have seen him play in months.

The real damage was done up front. Suarezdependence. That's the only way to describe the team now. He is so frighteningly effective, so creative and busy, it fills me with fear to imagine the side without him. But in this game he was ably assisted by Borini, who looks a fantastic foil for him. He finds space, he works hard, he's clever in his movement and some of the interplay between Suarez, gerrard and Borini was superb. Beside them Downing still looks a bit meat and two veg, albeit more inclined to have a go and more effective further forward and downt he channels.

So, overall, very encouraging and best of all the balance looked excellent and the players looked really comfortable. I get the impression that if we dominate sides this year we could hump the shit out of them. The flipside though is I wonder how vulnerable they will look against a stronger, faster, more technically skilled side?

But lets put them concerns aside and just finish on a few minor observations;

- I can see exactly how Allen will fit into that side, but where does that leave Adam, Henderson, Spearing and Shelvey. Or Sterling, Pacheco and Suso for that matter. Thank god for Euro football to give more chances to the younger/fringe players eh?
- How hilarious were those ESPN morons? "Here's Spearing, it'll be interesting to see who comes out ahead in his battle for places this year, Spearing or Lucas" followed by dead silence of the 'are you shitting me?' variety by his co-commentator
- how bad was that linesman?
"The real damage was done up front. Suarezdependence. That's the only way to describe the team now. He is so frighteningly effective, so creative and busy, it fills me with fear to imagine the side without him''.
Liverpool should not use Luis in all these friendlies because he one day could be injured or suspended.
As an uruguayan i understand you love him...but it is not a good idea to depend on him solely.
If you know how good he is...let Sudo or some other player to play instead of Luis.
Still i believe that the reds need another striker...because this game was an easy one...

Offline just Riggins?

• seeks man with gsoh 28-36. Likes a man in uniform.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: August 10, 2012, 11:24:46 am »
I know it was against Gomel, so I'm trying to stay calm but last night was brilliant.  There were times I just caught myself smiling watching it being knocked around effortlessly, when we didn't have the ball, Lucas hounding them down until they lost position.

To think that it's still early doors, and Rodgers is still trying to assemble his own squad I'm very excited.  Just got to get it done against West Brom next week now.

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #369 on: August 10, 2012, 11:24:55 am »
everytime i see Suarezhe just gets better and better its fucking frightening it really is,  this guy is like a john barnes (different player i know) but you only see a couple in each generation.  His appetite, attitude and ability is breath taking, his vision and creativity hold no bounds and he can execute these visions, he is a fucking artist, he creates wonderful work,
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!

Offline NeilMac

• Kemlynite
« Reply #370 on: August 10, 2012, 11:36:31 am »
After having seen most of the pre-season matches, I was delighted to see this perfomance. After worries, following the previous match, about when we might see Brendan's new approach developing, it now seems clear that it is beginning to bed in very nicely. The defence, midfield and attack seemed to link effectively; there were more short passes out of defence, rather than hoofed clearances; the control of the ball was excellent; there was far more one/two touch play; the width of the pitch was used well; Downing looked revitalised; Gerrard and Suarez made a superb combination; Lucas was magisterial; the defence looked solid and composed; and the pressing of the ball to regain possession was lovely to watch.

Thus, this was thoroughly enjoyable match to watch, and not just because we won.

However, it is too early to get carried away. This was relatively weak opposition, and we shall see as the season progresses whether BR possesses the tactical nous of Rafa. This match was a brilliant tactical display, but he will obviously need to vary tactics to suit different types of games and different opposition, and to avoid teams setting out simply to counter our play. If he proves able to do this what a great manager we may well have!

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #371 on: August 10, 2012, 11:45:48 am »
I'd like to watch the moment Rogers came onto the pitch replay. Can someone supply a link that is maybe for the whole game recorded and not just highlights?
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #372 on: August 10, 2012, 11:47:56 am »
Sorry the pedant in me rules. :)

Who says we won't be ready? We have Leverkusen Sunday and BR can give the youngsters a chance. Put some trust in the manager.

Agreed. We'll be as ready as the other teams we play, pus the harder fixtures, on paper, are all at home.
Either way lets wait and see what happens.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: August 10, 2012, 11:49:22 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jZExB49f76g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jZExB49f76g</a>
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline CaptainSuarez

• Anny Roader
« Reply #374 on: August 10, 2012, 11:51:46 am »
This has probably already been mentioned, but the pressing last night was outstanding. Players were working their socks off right down until the last minutes. It's great to see them working so hard for Rodgers. Suarez & Gerrard in particular were very good, very sharp. Thought Lucas was very good also and made up for Borini to score on his debut. Don't want to harp on about Adam but he was very poor when he came on. Would have liked to see Andy get some minutes.

This was essentially the equivalant of playing Rochdale so no cause for massive excitement but more than encouraging.

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #375 on: August 10, 2012, 11:52:23 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jZExB49f76g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jZExB49f76g</a>

I'd like to watch his reaction before the game started, the moment he came in.

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #376 on: August 10, 2012, 11:52:57 am »
I'd like to watch his reaction before the game started, the moment he came in.

I'd like some cake.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #377 on: August 10, 2012, 11:55:18 am »
The pressing off the ball last night was very, very impressive. Regardless the standard of the opposition, we kept pressing for the entire match.

The CB's looked comfortable, We had the fullbacks bombing forward and tracking back, almost playing like wing backs, allowing Borini and Downing to cut inside and get In And around the box.

Jonjo, Lucas and Gerrard looked such a solid unit, with Jonjo looking to pick the ball up from the CB's and move it forward quickly, Lucas just shutting them down in midfield and movin the ball on and Gerrard playing the role he should be, breaking forward from midfield and not dropping back inside our own half too much.

Downing looked very sharp the first 30 mins but he seemed to go back into his shell second half, although he his work rate and tracking back was still impressive.

Borini was fucking sublime last night. His link up play with Gerrard and Suarez was pure gold and his movement off the ball was just unreal at times. This lad is going to be good

Suarez, well he was man the the match. The lad doesn't seem real when he twists and turns defenders.

Offline koptician

• Legacy Fan
  • Hail to the King!
« Reply #378 on: August 10, 2012, 11:55:33 am »
That was liquid football at times. Superb. Only downside was Suarez not scoring as he surely deserved one!

Luis must come with a built-in nutmeg radar, he can predict when the gap is going to appear before the defender himself knows it!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #379 on: August 10, 2012, 11:59:48 am »
That was liquid football at times. Superb.

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: August 10, 2012, 12:02:41 pm »
Last night was quality, was right in the corner that Fabio ran to, to celebrate. Got a good feeling about that lad!

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #381 on: August 10, 2012, 12:04:25 pm »
I loved how free Johnson and Enrique were in the match. They got forward quite often. Johnson in particular looked like he relished that role. More of the same please!

"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline MatthewRedBlood

• bollockless shit bag
  • Kopite
  • The main kid
« Reply #382 on: August 10, 2012, 12:11:55 pm »
Thought we played relatively well, but don't forget we were playing a poor opposition.

Thought Downing had a very good 1st half, Suarez was his imperious best throughout.

Was slightly confused that Adam came on ahead of Henderson but i think we were "putting him in the shop window" so to speak.

With Allen looking certain to sign, out midfield 3 will surely be Gerrard, Allen, Lucas. Leaving Henderson, Shlevey and Spearing. Adam appears to be surplus.

Was pleased with what i saw, but given the level of opposition 3-0 was about right.

My overriding feeling throughout the whole game however was "Imagine Andy in the middle of this team, how would we fit him in?." Would of been good to see him get a run out, i suspect he'll get minutes in Sunday's game.
"When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high". Bad advice, I met a bloke once who'd looked up during a hailstone storm, took his eye out, blind now.

Offline ScouserAlec

• Kopite
« Reply #383 on: August 10, 2012, 12:12:48 pm »
Last night was quality, was right in the corner that Fabio ran to, to celebrate. Got a good feeling about that lad!

I was in that corner too. Was also in the corner where Suarez ran too when he scored his first goal for us against Stoke! The other end of the main stand.

Borini and Suarez linked really well, exactly what we need, a partnership.

Just really feel abit gutted about the Carroll situation, surely the gaffer could of gave him an appearance last night at some point, does anyone think he has a future at the club?

There's something about him I like, I think I just like the old fashioned big striker with a hammer shot, but sometimes I just dont actually know whether he is, or will ever be good enough for us. Bizzare situation.
★      ★      ★      ★      ★
77     78     81     84     05

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #384 on: August 10, 2012, 12:26:51 pm »
Really enjoyed that, particularly the first half. The movement between Suarez, Borini and Gerrard was fantastic to watch, can't wait until they play more together. Some of the flicks and moves they tried that didn't come off could have created some all time great goals. Feel a little bit sorry for Andy, hoped he would get a little game time, but not sure how he would fit into the mix.

Agree with poster earlier that Shelvey seemed to be trying too hard and his control let him down on occasions and resulting in him lunging in a bit, but he is young. Allen would fit nicely into that role.

Enrique pressed on more and even Downing (!) seemed to have a new lease of life he was chasing and actually got a couple of crosses over, not the best delivery but he looked more dynamic. Only worry is that the opposition were a little weak so will he play the same against the bigger boys or go back into his shell.

Offline Caffeine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: August 10, 2012, 12:33:42 pm »

Was slightly confused that Adam came on ahead of Henderson but i think we were "putting him in the shop window" so to speak.

Let's hope his suitors weren't watching then eh.

Offline TrueNorthRED

• Kopite
« Reply #386 on: August 10, 2012, 12:35:45 pm »
Thought we played relatively well, but don't forget we were playing a poor opposition.

I really don't understand quotes like this. Have you not been watching us the past few seasons? We have played shockingly bad against poor opposition TIME AND TIME AGAIN. Enjoy the win. It was terrific to watch.

Onwards & upwards.
"He plays as any supporter would if they were born with such demonic talent."

Offline MatthewRedBlood

• bollockless shit bag
  • Kopite
  • The main kid
« Reply #387 on: August 10, 2012, 12:40:37 pm »
I really don't understand quotes like this. Have you not been watching us the past few seasons? We have played shockingly bad against poor opposition TIME AND TIME AGAIN. Enjoy the win. It was terrific to watch.

Onwards & upwards.

There's a difference between poor Premier League opposition, and the team we played last night. I'd fully expect the Premier Leagues relegation fodder to produce a much better display than the team we faced last night.
"When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high". Bad advice, I met a bloke once who'd looked up during a hailstone storm, took his eye out, blind now.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #388 on: August 10, 2012, 12:41:29 pm »

Thought he spoke well. I do like him, i hope he does well and i just hope he gets all the backing he needs.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #389 on: August 10, 2012, 12:43:19 pm »

Onwards & upwards.

Cant agree. Last season for example, even though we lost to West Brom and drew with the likes of Norwich and Villa, we absoloutely murdered them in possesion and chances, much like last night. The first twenty minutes vs Norwich last season was one of the most thrilling pieces of pressure and creativity ive seen for quite some time, we could have been 7 up.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline TrueNorthRED

• Kopite
« Reply #390 on: August 10, 2012, 12:44:40 pm »
There's a difference between poor Premier League opposition, and the team we played last night. I'd fully expect the Premier Leagues relegation fodder to produce a much better display than the team we faced last night.

Then you didn't watch our game against Blackburn under Hodgson back in 2011 (Jan). We managed to lose that game 3-1.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 01:00:31 pm by TrueNorthRED »
"He plays as any supporter would if they were born with such demonic talent."

Offline MatthewRedBlood

• bollockless shit bag
  • Kopite
  • The main kid
« Reply #391 on: August 10, 2012, 01:00:09 pm »
Then you didn't watch our game against Blackburn under Hodgson back in 2011 (Jan). We managed to lose that ame 3-1.

There's a difference between "Getting outplayed by a lesser team" and "Murdering a poor team, and loosing the game." while i agree under Roy we lost because we played poorly, in the last 18 months more often than not we've been much the better team, despite the result. For instance last season had we been more clinical in front of goal, we'd of seen a much different outcome. The play was good, the chance creation was phenomenal, we just couldn't convert.

I'm happy we won last night and i thought we played well, but that team last night was equivalent to a league one side imo, had we beat the likes of Bury 3-0 i doubt people would be getting so excited. There's work to be done. I think if we play like that against WBA we'll be ok, but some people need to keep their feet on the ground.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #393 on: August 10, 2012, 01:02:33 pm »
yes i had a giggle when one of the commentators said Spearing would be competing with Lucas and it's hard to see who would be starting out of the two of them ;D
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline kkjellquist

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: August 10, 2012, 01:02:58 pm »
Suarez, well he was man the the match. The lad doesn't seem real when he twists and turns defenders.

F'ing LOVE when Suarez destroys a defended so badly they get tangled up in their own feet.  It's a thing of beauty! (See Borini's goal)
"Statistics are like bikinis—they show a lot but not everything." - Lou Piniella

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: August 10, 2012, 01:03:22 pm »
Have to say i thought it was a definate penalty when Skrtel raised his boot in the box. You usually don't get away with that in european games.

High foot is an indirect free-kick... so it wouldn't have been a penalty. Should've been an indirect free-kick in the box.

Saw one given against Cristiano Ronaldo at the back end of last season in some Sunday morning kick-off for Real.

Offline jimmyjr86

• Legacy Fan
  • Up on a hill, here's where we begin...
« Reply #396 on: August 10, 2012, 01:07:41 pm »
Good things....

1) Vast improvement from last week. No weak links in possession and a cracking starting eleven.
2) Lucas started and looks ready for next Saturday
3) Gerrard was played behind the Striker where he is IMO much more effective.
4) Movement of our forwards was top notch.
5) Borini scored and looked promising. His off the ball running is superb. The amount of times we had broken down the wing and he had already broke past the defence was encouraging. Something we lacked last season.
6) Suarez was on fire.

Gomel have been great opponents for us at this stage of the season. No doubt we will have some sticky patches at the start but we have an exciting squad to utilize. The new formation suits our players down the ground. Bring on West Brom

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #397 on: August 10, 2012, 01:09:18 pm »
I thought he played well. Pressed, picked the right times to give it to Suarez(and stay out of the way) and when to take it on himself. He put in some good crosses with his wrong foot. Its not all his fault we didn't get on the end of them.
that poster must be on automatic pilot from last season, Downing had a fairly good game, needs to aim for the corner flag when shooting might score then but other than that good, i think this style of football might just suit him , also he plays better on the right because its the opposite flank to Enrique, they got in each others way last season.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #398 on: August 10, 2012, 01:12:06 pm »
Loved the link up play between Gerrard and Suarez, telepathic at times.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #399 on: August 10, 2012, 01:12:36 pm »
Good game, good high tempo, good pressing, and most importantly, we scored some goals.

I worried that Lucas got too much game time. I dont want to over play this guy because he's too important in a position we lack depth in.

Baffled though, that we named 3 central midfielders on the subs bench and didnt name a winger! Thought Sterling or Pacheco should have at least have made it there.

Yesterday was the ideal game to have a couple of youngsters like Sterling, Morgan and Pacheco on the bench and then if we get the tie won early - which we did - give them 30 minutes with the pressure off.

Instead we get the tie won and just bring Spearing, Adam and Carragher on, which was a wasted opportunity.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season