Author Topic: Not quite so 'Super' League  (Read 527362 times)

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Breakaway Super League... The Times
« Reply #480 on: April 18, 2021, 06:48:55 pm »
I don't care about refereeing mistakes, it's when they all go against you.

It's a shit idea, but Henry in charge is further cause for us to be fucked over even more now domestically. Enjoy watching us fucked over every week.

So if we go by that Real Madrid, Juventus, Macs will also be fucked over evrey week?

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #481 on: April 18, 2021, 06:49:19 pm »
Just to be sure...

This is a proposal to replace UEFA’s CL competition, right? And not a suggestion to replace the domestic league.

It is yeah although uefa have said that they have assurances from domestic leagues that they’ll ban any team entering it from competing domestically.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #482 on: April 18, 2021, 06:49:22 pm »
Just to be sure...

This is a proposal to replace UEFA’s CL competition, right? And not a suggestion to replace the domestic league.

Yes. But the PL is saying you can't play in the domestic league and the new league
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: April 18, 2021, 06:49:33 pm »
Just to be sure...

Yeah but UEFA and all the leagues have said you have to break away if you want this.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #484 on: April 18, 2021, 06:49:49 pm »
The point is that this league will be the highest level of football week in, week out and exclusive to the best players. Why wouldn’t I want to see that as a fan?

Can see why some are reluctant to move away from the traditional model but in any sport the most enjoyment is generally obtained from watching the best vs the best. This just enables that more often rather than watching the war of attrition we see in 80% of PL games. Let’s be honest - the PL is on its knees as for entertainment value. I don’t see the need for outrage.

I don't support this Super League crap but the PL has destroyed itself already. You can't even celebrate a goal anymore.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Pie Eyed

• More like Eagle Eyed! Looking to sub Lfsea.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #485 on: April 18, 2021, 06:49:51 pm »
The point is that this league will be the highest level of football week in, week out and exclusive to the best players. Why wouldn’t I want to see that as a fan?

Can see why some are reluctant to move away from the traditional model but in any sport the most enjoyment is generally obtained from watching the best vs the best. This just enables that more often rather than watching the war of attrition we see in 80% of PL games. Let’s be honest - the PL is on its knees as for entertainment value. I don’t see the need for outrage.

We see the best in UCL.

UEFA have already stated that no clubs from this "league" would not be allowed to enter UCL or UEL, so instead of "the best vs the best", you end up (not) watching the highest paid players, playing at least 4 matches a year against each team, with basically no away fans (who can afford to travel to Europe for every second match in the season?

Just Scottish Prem with more money and less passion.
Jürgen Klopp (26 June 2020)
"We were good 4 years ago.  We were really good 3 years ago.  We were unbelievably good last year.  And this year it is absolutely exceptional.  Second to none that I know."

King Kenny to Jürgen (25 June 2020):
"I think your Da' must've been on our side during the war, because you seem like a scouser to me." :D

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #486 on: April 18, 2021, 06:49:51 pm »
Just to be sure...

It will end up as a stand alone league, whether that is from the outset, or in time. Inevitable.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #487 on: April 18, 2021, 06:49:53 pm »
Just to be sure...

Correct.  Hence the threat to ban them from domestic competition if they go through with it.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #488 on: April 18, 2021, 06:50:01 pm »
Yes. But the PL is saying you can't play in the domestic league and the new league

I mean sure, they’re threatening that.

But will they really want a domestic league without the 6 biggest clubs in it? I highly doubt it.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #489 on: April 18, 2021, 06:50:25 pm »
It is yeah although uefa have said that they have assurances from domestic leagues that they’ll ban any team entering it from competing domestically.

Which isn't going to happen.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: April 18, 2021, 06:51:14 pm »
I don't care about refereeing mistakes, it's when they all go against you.

It's a shit idea, but Henry in charge is further cause for us to be fucked over even more now domestically. Enjoy watching us fucked over every week.

Do you genuinely think that refereeing decisions go against us because of some anti-Liverpool bias?  ;D

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #491 on: April 18, 2021, 06:51:17 pm »

But will they really want a domestic league without the 6 biggest clubs in it? I highly doubt it.

Eventually there will be no domestic leagues.

Offline Ratboy3G

• Sworn enemy of Mousegirl5G
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: April 18, 2021, 06:51:17 pm »
Every game I watch softens my stance on the European super league, something needs to change in English (and European) football as its rotten to the core.
Obviously the Super league isn't the answer, but I have no idea what is. Hopefully the talk of a super league will scare Uefa and the Premier league/FA into doing something, but I somehow doubt it.
I am a man of few words.....any questions?

Offline jameslfc1997

• Anny Roader
« Reply #493 on: April 18, 2021, 06:51:21 pm »
If 90+% of games are still played at home grounds - as is the case in NFL or any sport that adopts this approach, why is this bad?

You honestly think that would stick?

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #494 on: April 18, 2021, 06:51:21 pm »
How can the PL ban the club's planning on taking part in this, I thought any changes to the makeup of the league had to have a vote by the club's themselves with a minimum 14 in favour.

Why would club's vote to cut off their supply of millions of pounds of funding?
The PL must formally abide by rules defined by the FA, which has full veto power (but of course, the PL holds most of the actual power); the FA must abide by rules defined by UEFA (which etc etc to FIFA).
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Red Dane

• Kopite
  • Probinate nobis similibusque
« Reply #495 on: April 18, 2021, 06:51:54 pm »
When UEFA lost the fight against Man C, and they showed that FFP is nothing woth, this is the answer. Now one league with one set of rules that everyone has to obey. I think salary cap - as we know it from NFL, will be one of the rules in the new league.

Iam not happy about this, however, a european superleague has been in the cards for years.
Every power draws its ultimate consequences at every moment. Supposing that this also is only interpretation-and you will be eager enough to make this objection?-well, so much the better. (Nietzsche; Beyond Good & Evil, p. 30-31).

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #496 on: April 18, 2021, 06:52:12 pm »

Project Big Picture was a bigger defining moment in the future of this league than people thought. Perhaps, if the bigger clubs had gotten their way, we wouldn't be having this debate now.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #497 on: April 18, 2021, 06:52:34 pm »
Football has always been about greed. The original Football clubs, were English Public Schools that would dominate the sport. Before professionalization of the sport, they had the resources, and their players didn't have to work full time so they could dedicate themselves to beating us "working class" clubs. Then the owners of northern clubs, would relocate amateur footballers to their local factories so they could play for their clubs. The sport got popular with the masses, and with the extra revenue they could continue to attract the best talent ,and before you know the modern English game was born and the old public school teams were no more.

People moan about new money flooding into the game, you could argue its always been some sort of closed shop. Liverpool is a massive club, and we have had major advantages over other club due to being based in international footballing city compared to others in the UK. The likes of hedge funds, sovereign wealth funds, billionaires shouldn't have been let lose on the sport, but like everything else in this country we don't have the imagination or political will to do anything.

Football is one of the few things we have common with each other, from inner cities to old pit towns, older generations mixing with youth, different political leanings. It brings people together, people proud to support their local club/ area. I'd love to see us reform the sport for the majority, but there is more chance me winning on next Fridays Euromillions. You are just left "meh". "Oh Dear" as Adam Curtis would say.

Football does need changing, the current model is fucked, but this is change in the wrong direction. Hopefully, fans of all background rally against this.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: April 18, 2021, 06:52:41 pm »
This one should be called Project Bigly Picture.

Offline ljycb

• RAWK's Bullen Oracle of Wisdom & Knowledge, the Collective Voice of our Moral Conscience
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: April 18, 2021, 06:52:41 pm »
You honestly think that would stick?

Of course it wouldn't.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: April 18, 2021, 06:52:50 pm »
Uefa said Man City couldn’t play in the CL. Look how that worked out.

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: April 18, 2021, 06:52:53 pm »
If 90+% of games are still played at home grounds - as is the case in NFL or any sport that adopts this approach, why is this bad?
Have you seen the average ticket prices for an NFL game. If you think the £77, FSG tried to charge fans for some years ago was bad, wait till you see the prices for these super league games.
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #502 on: April 18, 2021, 06:52:53 pm »
You don’t see the outrage be da use you’re only looking at football as entertainment, fair enough some of us value it and what this club represents as more than that.

The club charges people £70 to come and watch the team play. It charges you £5 for a pie or a sausage roll. It pays the coach and players millions a year... the club is an entertainment business primarily, not some kind of charity movement.

The identity of Liverpool fans is separate - no doubt we have our own distinct values, culture and way of support. That won’t dissipate and I don’t see how not participating in the League Cup will lessen that. You can still go to games and sing your heart out, you can still watch us play in red weekly. We’ll still be called Liverpool and play at Anfield. It’ll just be Inter Milan instead of Watford.

Offline fenre

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
« Reply #503 on: April 18, 2021, 06:53:35 pm »
I hate this. Dont want us to be part of such a thing. We wiil end up playing matches around the world to maximize the profit. We really should boycott such a tournament.

No matter how flawed, the history that we have connected to the Champions League is special. European nights we will never forget. If you think thise nights will be the same in Chicago or in Dubai, which is what will happen, you are deluded.

This have to fail

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #504 on: April 18, 2021, 06:53:36 pm »
Is it even workable to play PL and this Super League shit?

That'd be 68 games or so before cup competitions.

Every club involved in this can get to fuck.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #505 on: April 18, 2021, 06:53:57 pm »
Do you genuinely think that refereeing decisions go against us because of some anti-Liverpool bias?  ;D

This season after that c*nt of a decision & us calling hi out,yes fucking right they have been doing.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: April 18, 2021, 06:54:10 pm »

So if/when the next 'Leicester' win the title, they don't get to play in the European Super League, because they weren't one of the 'big six' in 2021? How long does that hold for - forever? Yeah, I'd fuck us off too.
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #507 on: April 18, 2021, 06:54:46 pm »
Eventually there will be no domestic leagues.

Not sure that’s what clubs want though.

They are making millions from the domestic leagues and also from a European comp I highly doubt a single European comp would bring in the same.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #508 on: April 18, 2021, 06:54:49 pm »
When UEFA lost the fight against Man C, and they showed that FFP is nothing woth, this is the answer. Now one league with one set of rules that everyone has to obey. I think salary cap - as we know it from NFL, will be one of the rules in the new league.

Iam not happy about this, however, a european superleague has been in the cards for years.

It'll be about creating a European football version of the NFL. It won't work in conjunction with the domestic leagues though.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: April 18, 2021, 06:54:51 pm »
The club charges people £70 to come and watch the team play. It charges you £5 for a pie or a sausage roll. It pays the coach and players millions a year... the club is an entertainment business primarily, not some kind of charity movement.

The identity of Liverpool fans is separate - no doubt we have our own distinct values, culture and way of support. That won’t dissipate and I don’t see how not participating in the League Cup will lessen that. You can still go to games and sing your heart out, you can still watch us play in red weekly. We’ll still be called Liverpool and play at Anfield. It’ll just be Inter Milan instead of Watford.

What are our distinct values and culture, you tell me...

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: April 18, 2021, 06:54:53 pm »

This season after that c*nt of a decision & us calling hi out,yes fucking right they have been doing.

You're talking absolute nonsense mate.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #511 on: April 18, 2021, 06:54:58 pm »
Is it even workable to play PL and this Super League shit?

That'd be 68 games or so before cup competitions.

Every club involved in this can get to fuck.

You need to look at UEFA's "wonderful" suggestion as well then, which is little better.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #512 on: April 18, 2021, 06:55:30 pm »
So if/when the next 'Leicester' win the title, they don't get to play in the European Super League, because they weren't one of the 'big six' in 2021? How long does that hold for - forever? Yeah, I'd fuck us off too.

Think they still get in it don’t they going by what’s leaked.

Offline ljycb

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: April 18, 2021, 06:56:04 pm »

"distinct values" is a load of shite given how split supporters are in this thread.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: April 18, 2021, 06:56:04 pm »
Posted in the other thread but this is an Americanisation of the sport. NBA of football. I actually think it could work potentially on a global scale. Increases accessibility to America and China which let’s face it they run the world. The more I research & understand how the elite think, the more I realise Europe represents old thinking/money & COVID has forced a lot of them to move quickly.

These are forward thinking people that see ways to make money before the majority do. Obviously domestically it’s a disaster but the wealth divide continues. There’s a whole world to build wealth in for them.

And it was always going to happen. The pandemic has just brought it forward. By the way, if this turns out to be the NBA of football, it will actually be good for the game. The rise of the NBA certainly hasn't ruined the game of basketball. Quite the opposite, it has forced FIBA to be far more organized and professional itself, resulting in a massive development of the game all over the World. If the ESL has the same effect on football, the only losers will be the highly paid incompetent idiots at the PL, UEFA and FIFA ...

Offline Coolie High

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: April 18, 2021, 06:56:23 pm »
Not sure that’s what clubs want though.

They are making millions from the domestic leagues and also from a European comp I highly doubt a single European comp would bring in the same.

But other clubs won’t flourish because the money we get from broadcasters will be focused on the super league, naturally the clubs outside of the super league will get poorer making the competition even more lop sided than it already is.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #516 on: April 18, 2021, 06:56:32 pm »
You need to look at UEFA's "wonderful" suggestion as well then, which is little better.
All this is, is a threat because clubs don’t like UEFAs plan for the CL.

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline please, I have my reasons for it but...

• In the grander scheme of things, most definitely has meaning and most definitely has purpose. History Maker.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: April 18, 2021, 06:56:35 pm »
“It means more (money)”

-Liverpool slogan, 2022 season
Finished at the age of 26. The Mike Tyson of football.

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/omar_12590

Offline scouseman

• Legacy Fan
  • aspiring mod of RAWK
« Reply #518 on: April 18, 2021, 06:56:42 pm »
Just to be sure...

but we would be banned from domestic competition as well. What is the point of this if there are no repercussions of not getting into the CL places if you are allowed in every season at whatever cost? We are LFC because of our European 6 CL wins just to throw all that history is very upsetting
« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 06:58:19 pm by scouseman »

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: April 18, 2021, 06:56:45 pm »
You're talking absolute nonsense mate.

I bet you don't even know what decision I'm talking about.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill