Author Topic: Was LFC Ticket Pricing Forum Now an Al555 usual mantra topic  (Read 98241 times)

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: Was LFC Ticket Pricing Forum Now an Al555 usual mantra topic
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2018, 11:34:02 am »
Or for a more realistic value, reducing the cost of tickets by £11.48 would mean we could not have purchased Sadio Mane or paid his wages (basis 5 year fee amortization).

This is the equation that needs to be considered. If the club is to be self sufficient then reductions in ticket prices mean we cannot afford to support as large a wage bill or player amortisation as we currently do.

So, I come back to the question. Would you rather we reduced ticket prices and didn't sign Sadio, or do you want the owners to be putting their own money in each year? If so, how much do you want them to be putting in? What exactly are you asking for from FSG when you say "investment"?

EDIT: Either you're showing you don't understand how transfers are accounted for (i.e. cost amortised over the duration of the contract + wages being the annual cost) or you are being deliberately obtuse with your fractional costs of players.

Since Klopp arrived we have had a negative net spend of around £40m so don't pretend high ticket prices are funding a huge spend on players.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2018, 11:36:58 am »
Since Klopp arrived we have had a negative net spend of around £40m so don't pretend high ticket prices are funding a huge spend on players.

;D

Bashed that out just in time, good going Al. I take it we're not including Naby Keita in that?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Greg86

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Self Amortizing
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2018, 12:03:56 pm »

Answer the question Al. What are you actually asking from FSG? What reduction in prices (and consequent reduction in income) do you want? Or are you expecting FSG to fund the shortfall themselves?

It's a simple question with simple answers.

Nonsense.

There is no evidence at all that our ticket pricing policy and increasing prices has led us to be more competitive. Nor that  the current prices of tickets have stopped us buying any player.

It isn't a binary choice as you have laid out - here's a thought, say 35 contracted players at LFC - when negotiating salaries shave an average of £1000 a week from them. There's over £12m a year.

FSG have choices and flexibility to achieve this.

It's slightly less nonsense then trying to show it as 1/20th of Neymar. I gave a clear worked example of how we could fund a reduction in ticket price of just over £11.

Yes, reducing 1k salary from every first team player would enable a reduction to that level. Yes, I accept there are plenty of options available to the club, but let's not pretend it's as simple as saying "let's lose 10 - 20 million income a year, every year, increasing going forwards". 10m is rounghly 3.3% of the clubs turnoer in 2016.

Let's put some financial numbers to the arguement.

In 2016 LFC operating figures were as follows (millions, from club accounts):

Operating loss : 58,033
Exceptional add backs
Redundancy : 15,669
Player write offs : 7,878

Adjusted operating loss : 34,486

So, similar question to you Graham as to Al, what do you expect from the owners? Do you want us to operate at a loss selling players to cover the losses? Yes other income streams are growing and we may well have made a loss in 2017 but we won't know till May time. It's not as simple as you're trying to make out. The club has to be run as a business under FSG, they've made that very clear. If you don't want that to happen what do you want to happen?

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2018, 12:14:41 pm »
I've made it very clear - be better at managing the Club - there's some accepted mystique that FSG are some sort of superstar businessmen who do little wrong on the business side of the Club when it is so far from the truth.

And quoting one set of figures from one set of accounts has no context - the Club is in rude financial health from that perspective when seen over a longer period, hence its valuation at upwards of £750m - you don't get those valuations for a failing, unprofitable business.

Being competitive and the link to ticket prices that FSG trot out all the time has no evidential basis at either LFC or any other PL Club - so why would they want to see increased revenues from that source - what could possibly be the real reason? The clue again is in the friction and contradiction between the FSG 'mission statement' and the LFC one.

And here's a practical solution - the next TV deal will go bigger again - find £10m a season from that increase. Or as is more likely and fair start a journey over a few seasons that gets us to proper pricing allowing local people access.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2018, 12:15:14 pm »
I've made it very clear - be better at managing the Club - there's some accepted mystique that FSG are some sort of superstar businessmen who do little wrong on the business side of the Club when it is so far from the truth.

:o

Where? When?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2018, 12:22:19 pm »

And what has happened to the wage bill over that time? The total cost of ownership of the players has grown enormously as well you know.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2018, 12:25:50 pm »
And quoting one set of figures from one set of accounts has no context - the Club is in rude financial health from that perspective when seen over a longer period, hence its valuation at upwards of £750m - you don't get those valuations for a failing, unprofitable business.

How quickly we forget the Forbes $1bn valuation.

Offline Graham Smith

• Squealer
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Vice Chair - Former Chair LFC S/Committee
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2018, 12:32:20 pm »
And what has happened to the wage bill over that time? The total cost of ownership of the players has grown enormously as well you know.

And so has the income from TV deals.
Hunt Bromley got Ringo

@GPS1892

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2018, 01:32:34 pm »
It's a drum I bang constantly but the answer to lowering ticket prices by every premier league club is to ring fence a very small portion of tv money per club to allow a fixed price reduction on average attendance of each club . Out of the hands of owners , agents , players wages but has to be premier league policy .

Offline JCB

• Sponsors of Digger Barnes.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2018, 01:33:05 pm »

The problem is that most, if not all, the extra money a Premier League Club gets nowadays, be it from higher tv deals or added seats tends to go to the players/agents and not to the clubs. Every man and his dog knew that the extra cash injection from the latest TV deal was going to push transfer fees and wages up, no one ever for even a moment thought it would go to us, the fans. It's not right, I agree with that, but when all the EPL clubs follow the same pattern, to expect Liverpool to go against the mould is highly unrealistic/altruistic.

You can't just expect Liverpool to do that unilaterally. You may applaud them if they did, but for every one of you there would be 10 other LFC fans bemoaning the fact that we aren't competitive enough in the transfer market anymore due to our new stance. If anything this is something that needs to be directed to the FA - not to FSG. This needs to be done at a national level and the FA needs to impose some rule for the next tv deal that a percentage of the hike gets directed to the fans.

I applaud your stance, and the work you do, but personally I think it's directed at the wrong people. I'm not saying that FSG/LFC can't change things but at the moment they're caught in the same undercurrent as the rest of the clubs out there. To fight - unilaterally - against the flow of the economic forces at play here is easier said than done.

edit - ha. beat me to it gazzam

Offline Greg86

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Self Amortizing
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2018, 01:47:53 pm »

Being competitive and the link to ticket prices that FSG trot out all the time has no evidential basis at either LFC or any other PL Club - so why would they want to see increased revenues from that source - what could possibly be the real reason? The clue again is in the friction and contradiction between the FSG 'mission statement' and the LFC one.

And here's a practical solution - the next TV deal will go bigger again - find £10m a season from that increase. Or as is more likely and fair start a journey over a few seasons that gets us to proper pricing allowing local people access.

That's not an answer Graham, and you know it. You say be better at managing the club, how? What do you see as their specific failings that haven't been addressed? Yes, they've made mistakes, but they've tended to try and resolve them. They're not the be all and end all of owners, but they're not fucking terrible. What ticket price do you actually feel would be acceptable? Average of ££40? £30? £20?

I have a lot of time for them in that they are trying to organically grow the club rather than buying success as many fans like to deride Man City, Chelsea and PSG for doing. Ticket prices are but one element of club revenue, if they chose to reduce one element of revenue then we have to make the savings on the expenses side, i.e. reduced spending. Without either reducing spending, or it standing still while revenues grow (effective reduction as wages / fees grow) revenues can't be reduced.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2018, 02:43:01 pm »

Wages have increased precisely because Clubs have more money though. The solution is not to keep on fuelling ever increasing wages by charging fans exorbitant prices for tickets.

As others have said we need to have rules in place that stop spiralling ticket prices and other revenues fuelling wage increases. The thing is the only way that is going to happen is by fans groups lobbying their clubs and the relevant authorities.

The crazy thing is we have scores of people lining up to make excuses for the Clubs. In effect turkeys voting for Xmas. 
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2018, 02:45:43 pm »

I know. Al was being disingenuous quoting net spend transfer figures, so I pulled him up on it.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2018, 02:46:28 pm »
That's not an answer Graham, and you know it. You say be better at managing the club, how? What do you see as their specific failings that haven't been addressed? Yes, they've made mistakes, but they've tended to try and resolve them. They're not the be all and end all of owners, but they're not fucking terrible. What ticket price do you actually feel would be acceptable? Average of ££40? £30? £20?

I have a lot of time for them in that they are trying to organically grow the club rather than buying success as many fans like to deride Man City, Chelsea and PSG for doing. Ticket prices are but one element of club revenue, if they chose to reduce one element of revenue then we have to make the savings on the expenses side, i.e. reduced spending. Without either reducing spending, or it standing still while revenues grow (effective reduction as wages / fees grow) revenues can't be reduced.

How is charging fans ridiculous prices for tickets and then spending that on £50m, £60m or £70m players and having a wage bill north of £200m not buying success.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2018, 02:49:00 pm »
Wages have increased precisely because Clubs have more money though. The solution is not to keep on fuelling ever increasing wages by charging fans exorbitant prices for tickets.

As others have said we need to have rules in place that stop spiralling ticket prices and other revenues fuelling wage increases. The thing is the only way that is going to happen is by fans groups lobbying their clubs and the relevant authorities.

The crazy thing is we have scores of people lining up to make excuses for the Clubs. In effect turkeys voting for Xmas. 

This is far too simplistic a way of looking at it, and not really accurate at all. Advertising, TV money and sponsorship have a FAR higher impact on clubs' revenues (and therein the clubs' abilities to pay higher wages) than ticket income. Indeed these are arguments regularly used by people complaining about ticket prices - that the effect of raising or lowering prices is negligible on the clubs overall revenues so the club should be happy to just suck it up and lower prices.

Even if you were right about this, it's all well and good LFC making a stand and saying "fine, we're going to charge £5 a ticket and take a stand about this sort of thing" when you'll have Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City pissing themselves and saying "you do that, we won't" and signing players that (in your view) we'd no longer be in the market for.

The only solution would be a nation/europe wide protest by fans, or some action by UEFA to cap wages etc. Which seems about as likely to happen as us signing a new keeper by 1st Feb.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2018, 02:50:40 pm »

But you've just said yourself...

So which is it? The high ticket prices AREN'T funding a huge spend on player, or high ticket price ARE fueling ever increasing wages??

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2018, 02:54:11 pm »
I know. Al was being disingenuous quoting net spend transfer figures, so I pulled him up on it.

How was it disingenuous though. I was replying to a post that stated reducing ticket prices would stop us buying players. Since Klopp arrived transfers have been funded by selling players. As for the wage bill that isn't dependant on transfers. You could fail to sign a player for years and your wage bill would go up because you would be renewing players deals.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2018, 03:04:10 pm »
This is far too simplistic a way of looking at it, and not really accurate at all. Advertising, TV money and sponsorship have a FAR higher impact on clubs' revenues (and therein the clubs' abilities to pay higher wages) than ticket income. Indeed these are arguments regularly used by people complaining about ticket prices - that the effect of raising or lowering prices is negligible on the clubs overall revenues so the club should be happy to just suck it up and lower prices.

Even if you were right about this, it's all well and good LFC making a stand and saying "fine, we're going to charge £5 a ticket and take a stand about this sort of thing" when you'll have Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City pissing themselves and saying "you do that, we won't" and signing players that (in your view) we'd no longer be in the market for.

The only solution would be a nation/europe wide protest by fans, or some action by UEFA to cap wages etc. Which seems about as likely to happen as us signing a new keeper by 1st Feb.

The only reason you won't get a solution is because people are so determined to make excuses for the owners of Clubs. For me it is a no brainer that as fans we should be getting behind the likes of SOS. We won't because people are brain washed into accepting that the only way Football can be run is by Clubs, players and agents getting more and more money.

If we paid a grand a ticket and players got a million pound a week would the Football be any better ?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2018, 03:16:05 pm »
The only reason you won't get a solution is because people are so determined to make excuses for the owners of Clubs. For me it is a no brainer that as fans we should be getting behind the likes of SOS. We won't because people are brain washed into accepting that the only way Football can be run is by Clubs, players and agents getting more and more money.

If we paid a grand a ticket and players got a million pound a week would the Football be any better ?

The only reason you wont get a solution is in the specific post you replied to. It doesn't work with one club. That doesn't solve a thing, it just puts our specific club at a disadvantage. Not that FSG, or any owner, would be up for it anyway might I add. But its not an FSG problem, its a football problem. I've got a local club round here, fuck knows what league they're in (Conference North if that even exists?) charging like £15-20 a game for a shocking level of football. Its a nationwide thing, so its pretty crass to start (well clearly not start for yourself Al) to take aim at our owners specifically for ticket prices.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2018, 03:26:30 pm »
The only reason you wont get a solution is in the specific post you replied to. It doesn't work with one club. That doesn't solve a thing, it just puts our specific club at a disadvantage. Not that FSG, or any owner, would be up for it anyway might I add. But its not an FSG problem, its a football problem. I've got a local club round here, fuck knows what league they're in (Conference North if that even exists?) charging like £15-20 a game for a shocking level of football. Its a nationwide thing, so its pretty crass to start (well clearly not start for yourself Al) to take aim at our owners specifically for ticket prices.

I agree it is a Football problem mate. The thing is though we are Liverpool fans and we pay our money to LFC so that has to be our first port of call. SOS regularly join forces with other fan groups to put pressure on Clubs and the football authorities nationally and we have benefited accordingly.

As for having a go at FSG individually I haven't I have said over and over again the owners of clubs. Why can't we all come together like we did with the walkout and stop questioning SOSs motives and above all stop believing that there is nothing we can do.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2018, 03:46:00 pm »
I genuinely believe that there is little SOS can do to impact the wider issue of ticket prices. That doesn't mean they shouldn't try of course, and I certainly can believe that they can have a constructive dialogue with the club, represent fan concerns and make improvements in certain places.

But unless you get some radical new ownership model at the club - either some oligarch who also happens to be a proud scouser and give a real toss about ticket prices and locals getting to games, or some form of fan ownership which just seems impossible wen you're talking about clubs worth billions of pounds - then I think you have to aim for realistic progress rather than expecting SOS to turn back the tide.

The only way I can ever see real change on the way football is going is for there to be huge pressure put on bodies like to UEFA to step in and cap wages and transfer fees. It might happen but there seems to be little to no appetite for it and those who control UEFA are too compliant with the system because they profit from it.

If Liverpool made a stand, they would be at a significant competitive disadvantage against other PL clubs;
If the PL made a stand (  ::) ) they would claim to be at a disadvantage against other European leagues;
If UEFA did it they'd probably start harping on about a threat from China or America.

It's obviously a hugely difficult issue and LFC aren't an island.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2018, 03:46:11 pm »
I agree it is a Football problem mate. The thing is though we are Liverpool fans and we pay our money to LFC so that has to be our first port of call. SOS regularly join forces with other fan groups to put pressure on Clubs and the football authorities nationally and we have benefited accordingly.

As for having a go at FSG individually I haven't I have said over and over again the owners of clubs. Why can't we all come together like we did with the walkout and stop questioning SOSs motives and above all stop believing that there is nothing we can do.

So put the pressure on Sky, and BT, and the FA, and the Premier League. As has been mentioned, if you take 5% or 10% or whatever of the money clubs get and say that HAS to go to reducing ticket prices, then clubs literally have no option but to do it. No sensible chairman or owner or CEO is going to say 'yeah sure we'll reduce ticket prices by 10%' if no-one else does. Its a bit like saying that water might be just right, or might be boiling hot, so if you can just chuck yourself in and if its alright we'll get in with you.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2018, 03:48:07 pm »
So put the pressure on Sky, and BT, and the FA, and the Premier League. As has been mentioned, if you take 5% or 10% or whatever of the money clubs get and say that HAS to go to reducing ticket prices, then clubs literally have no option but to do it. No sensible chairman or owner or CEO is going to say 'yeah sure we'll reduce ticket prices by 10%' if no-one else does. Its a bit like saying that water might be just right, or might be boiling hot, so if you can just chuck yourself in and if its alright we'll get in with you.

Yep, this is spot on to me. Clubs are loathe to put themselves at a competitive disadvantage and for every fan lauding a £10 reduction in ticket prices there'd be another complaining that Arsenal were beating us to players. Regulation is the best way to achieve these kinds of goals.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2018, 03:59:12 pm »
I genuinely believe that there is little SOS can do to impact the wider issue of ticket prices. That doesn't mean they shouldn't try of course, and I certainly can believe that they can have a constructive dialogue with the club, represent fan concerns and make improvements in certain places.

But unless you get some radical new ownership model at the club - either some oligarch who also happens to be a proud scouser and give a real toss about ticket prices and locals getting to games, or some form of fan ownership which just seems impossible wen you're talking about clubs worth billions of pounds - then I think you have to aim for realistic progress rather than expecting SOS to turn back the tide.

The only way I can ever see real change on the way football is going is for there to be huge pressure put on bodies like to UEFA to step in and cap wages and transfer fees. It might happen but there seems to be little to no appetite for it and those who control UEFA are too compliant with the system because they profit from it.

If Liverpool made a stand, they would be at a significant competitive disadvantage against other PL clubs;
If the PL made a stand (  ::) ) they would claim to be at a disadvantage against other European leagues;
If UEFA did it they'd probably start harping on about a threat from China or America.

It's obviously a hugely difficult issue and LFC aren't an island.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35764007

Premier League to cap cost of tickets for away fans at £30

Premier League clubs have agreed plans to cap away tickets at £30 for the next three seasons.

The cost of watching football has been a hot topic of debate, with supporters at Liverpool organising a high-profile protest over proposed increases in season ticket prices.

Now the top flight's 20 clubs have "unanimously agreed" that more should be done to help away fans.

The £30 away ticket cap will be introduced from next season.

In a statement, the Premier League said away fans were "essential for match atmosphere" and helped make the league unique.

It also recognised that away fans often had travel costs to pay on top of the price of a match-day ticket.

Eight of 18 Premier League clubs who took part in the BBC's latest Price of Football study already offer away tickets for less than £30 for some matches.

But the study, published in October, also found that nine clubs charge more than £30 for their cheapest away ticket.

The change is likely to see travelling supporters paying more to watch second-tier football than top-flight games next season.

The Price of Football study found 13 clubs in the Championship charge £30 or more for their most expensive away tickets.

The new measures will replace the Away Supporters' Initiative.

This was introduced in 2013 and saw clubs individually implement a range of measures, including travel subsidies, reciprocal pricing and reduced admissions as well as improved facilities.
Does £30 reflect the wishes of the fans?

The Football Supporters' Federation (FSF) has long campaigned for cheaper tickets and wanted prices for away fans capped at £20.

FSF chief executive Kevin Miles said his organisation was "very pleased the voice of fans has been listened to".

But Labour's shadow Minister for Sport Clive Efford said the £30 cap is "still £10 above the level that fans have called for".

Liverpool fans group Spirit of Shankly, who helped to successfully lead protests against a proposed price increase at Anfield earlier this season, said the away ticket cap was "a very good step in the right direction".

Spokesperson James McKenna credited the Premier League's new £5bn television deal, which starts next season, as the driver for the cap.

"We have been saying the price of away tickets was too much and this new TV deal presented them with an opportunity to lower them," he said.

Shows what can be done when we stop believing that we are powerless, get together and stand up for ourselves. If we can get a cap on the price of away tickets then surely we can do the same for home fans. Then you end up with a level playing field and Clubs aren't acting unilaterally.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2018, 04:00:34 pm »
Yep, this is spot on to me. Clubs are loathe to put themselves at a competitive disadvantage and for every fan lauding a £10 reduction in ticket prices there'd be another complaining that Arsenal were beating us to players. Regulation is the best way to achieve these kinds of goals.

You get regulation by supporting the likes of SOS and the FSF though not by making excuses for the owners of Clubs.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2018, 04:03:04 pm »

Fans of all Clubs should be putting pressure on the owners of their Club. Then the Clubs and the Premier League will get together and bring in regulations.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2018, 04:04:08 pm »
You get regulation by supporting the likes of SOS and the FSF though not by making excuses for the owners of Clubs.

:duh

As ever Al, any remote point you might have gets completely obliterated by the fact that you just don't like our owners. Specifically. Nobody at all is saying that we make excuses for owners (plural, 20 clubs).

Offline thisyearisouryear

• Need a dose of Hopium
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2018, 04:11:06 pm »

As ever Al, any remote point you might have gets completely obliterated by the fact that you just don't like our owners. Specifically. Nobody at all is saying that we make excuses for owners (plural, 20 clubs).
Spot on!

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2018, 04:15:30 pm »

Of course people are making excuses for the owners of the Clubs. The Premier League is a corporation and it's shareholders are the member clubs. We are not talking about a governing body that makes decisions. The Clubs make the decisions or more specifically the owners of the Clubs make the decisions.

The cap on away tickets came about because the owners of the Premier League Clubs voted for it. To get a cap on all tickets the owners of the Clubs would have to vote for it unless their was government intervention.

So it is clear all fans of all Clubs should be lobbying THEIR owners to reduce ticket prices.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Greg86

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Self Amortizing
« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2018, 04:16:06 pm »
How is charging fans ridiculous prices for tickets and then spending that on £50m, £60m or £70m players and having a wage bill north of £200m not buying success.

That's up their with the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen or heard.

Since you seem to be dodging it Al:

Answer the question Al. What are you actually asking from FSG? What reduction in prices (and consequent reduction in income) do you want? Or are you expecting FSG to fund the shortfall themselves?

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2018, 04:22:57 pm »
Yep. Money talks

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2018, 04:27:54 pm »
That's up their with the most ridiculous statements I've ever seen or heard.

How is it ridiculous. When we go to Southampton for instance and buy up their players and as a consequence finish above them how is that not buying success.

Since you seem to be dodging it Al:

I have answered the question over and over again. As fans of Liverpool we lobby LFC to reduce prices in exactly the same way that we managed to get a cap on away ticket prices. All fans lobby their Clubs and then the Clubs owners get together and bring in a cap.

That way ALL Clubs have a reduction in income so no one has to fund a shortfall.

The only losers will be the players and their agents.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2018, 04:29:46 pm »
That way ALL Clubs have a reduction in income so no one has to fund a shortfall.

The only losers will be the players and their agents.

Agree with you here Al, I think if it is to happen, which I hope it does, it has to be across the board, no team is going to blink first. That needs to be clearer.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2018, 04:35:09 pm »
Agree with you here Al, I think if it is to happen, which I hope it does, it has to be across the board, no team is going to blink first. That needs to be clearer.

I don't see anyone who could possibly disagree with this, but its really not the owners who need lobbying. Its far easier one governing body/TV service/association making compulsory changes than 20 different football clubs and 20 different sets of fans. Its such a fantasy to think protesting towards FSG is suddenly going to see them drop ticket prices without every other club doing exactly the same thing at exactly the same time.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2018, 04:40:55 pm »
I don't see anyone who could possibly disagree with this, but its really not the owners who need lobbying. Its far easier one governing body/TV service/association making compulsory changes than 20 different football clubs and 20 different sets of fans. Its such a fantasy to think protesting towards FSG is suddenly going to see them drop ticket prices without every other club doing exactly the same thing at exactly the same time.

Look at the cap on away prices that came about because the Premier League voted it in. Who are the Premier League they are the owners of the Clubs. So the people you lobby are whoever your owners happen to be.

There is no point Liverpool fans lobbying the Glazers to reduce ticket prices for United fans it has to come from the people who buy United tickets.

If you follow your logic here Eel we shouldn't of had the walkout but should of lobbied the governing body/TV service/association.

Fans of ALL Clubs need to act individually and collectively. So that means supporting the initiatives of both SOS and the FSF.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2018, 05:03:06 pm »
Look at the cap on away prices that came about because the Premier League voted it in. Who are the Premier League they are the owners of the Clubs. So the people you lobby are whoever your owners happen to be.

There is no point Liverpool fans lobbying the Glazers to reduce ticket prices for United fans it has to come from the people who buy United tickets.

If you follow your logic here Eel we shouldn't of had the walkout but should of lobbied the governing body/TV service/association.

Fans of ALL Clubs need to act individually and collectively. So that means supporting the initiatives of both SOS and the FSF.

With respect, reducing away ticket prices to £30 was great but is an absolute drop in the ocean compared to what we're talking about. I frankly cant be arsed to do any sort of sums, but our allocation to away fans is what, 3,000? Even if we've reduced those by 50% its less than £1 million that the club isn't seeing (oh yeah I just did a sum). Its nothing. Frankly I imagine most clubs would happily pay £1 million a season for a bit of goodwill. Reducing all home ticket prices is a completely different kettle of fish.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2018, 05:30:39 pm »
With respect, reducing away ticket prices to £30 was great but is an absolute drop in the ocean compared to what we're talking about. I frankly cant be arsed to do any sort of sums, but our allocation to away fans is what, 3,000? Even if we've reduced those by 50% its less than £1 million that the club isn't seeing (oh yeah I just did a sum). Its nothing. Frankly I imagine most clubs would happily pay £1 million a season for a bit of goodwill. Reducing all home ticket prices is a completely different kettle of fish.

If it is across the League then why would it matter. The only people affected would be the players and their agents.

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2018, 06:27:09 pm »
If it is across the League then why would it matter. The only people affected would be the players and their agents.

???

Well because like Jersey says, if it’s across the league it’s not then across Europe and so again clubs would be handicapping themselves against Barca/Real etc. No one is saying tickets aren’t too expensive abdcshluldnt he reduced, but once again you’re massively barking up the wrong tree suggesting protesting against the owners is the answer. But in fairness I think if we gave you a basic GCSE maths exam, most of your answers would also be protesting against the owners ;)

Bottom line is that clubs won’t handicap themselves to the degree that reducing all tickets would be, so you need to move towards the idea of it being mandatory for a certain percentage of the huge money coming into the game is used for those means.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2018, 06:58:12 pm »
???

Well because like Jersey says, if it’s across the league it’s not then across Europe and so again clubs would be handicapping themselves against Barca/Real etc. No one is saying tickets aren’t too expensive abdcshluldnt he reduced, but once again you’re massively barking up the wrong tree suggesting protesting against the owners is the answer. But in fairness I think if we gave you a basic GCSE maths exam, most of your answers would also be protesting against the owners ;)

Bottom line is that clubs won’t handicap themselves to the degree that reducing all tickets would be, so you need to move towards the idea of it being mandatory for a certain percentage of the huge money coming into the game is used for those means.

£50+ a ticket and we can't stop Barca and Madrid taking players of us. What do you suggest £100+, £200+ so we can compete with Barca etc.

We aren't competing with Barca and Madrid full stop plus we end up paying an English premium when we sign foreign players.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline El Lobo

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2018, 07:42:10 pm »
 ;D

Nope