Author Topic: Liverpool players at the Copa America  (Read 4772 times)

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
Liverpool players at the Copa America
« on: May 4, 2011, 04:23:55 pm »
Lucas and Suarez won't be getting much of a rest this summer as the Copa America starts on July 1st. Maxi (if picked, and if still here) will be gone too. And any other South American's we might happen to pick up before July 1st.

That's going to put a little bit of a dent in our pre-season preparations. Would have liked both Suarez and Lucas to have complete rest during the summer as they are so pivotal to us. I guess there aren't that many summers without a competition anyway.
YWNA

Offline kb2x

• Kopite
  • The Mystery Continues....
Re: Liverpool players at the Copa America
« Reply #1 on: May 4, 2011, 04:33:50 pm »
So will Carroll at the u21 championships.

Offline TheRedMonarch8

• Main Stander
« Reply #2 on: May 4, 2011, 04:42:26 pm »
Just got to hope when the season comes round that what we hit the ground running enabling these lads that are in summer competition to find their feet again before they eventually get firing on all cylinders.

Offline Anfield Kopite

• Will vote for anyone who gives out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 4, 2011, 04:51:24 pm »
Maybe the fact that Suarez hasnt played that much since December may help his alround fitness. Before we signed him he hadnt played for about 6 weeks because of his biting ban. Then he was cup tied for the Europa games which was frustrating at the time but may have been a blessing. As for Lucas, he doesnt seem to get injured much fingers crossed, but he could have done with a break in the Summer which is unfortunate.
« Last Edit: May 4, 2011, 08:49:24 pm by Anfield Kopite »

Offline Studog

• Kopite
« Reply #4 on: May 4, 2011, 04:59:45 pm »
With Lucas, I think he expects someone to come in next season who can play his role. He's openly said he wants to fight for it so maybe it won't be too bad for him? Who knows. Role on the summer!

Might be a great way to see some of our potential new signings in action though? I hope we don't make any rash purchases based on this or the U21 championships!!

Offline Chronic

• Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be heroes.
« Reply #5 on: May 4, 2011, 05:59:18 pm »
With Lucas, I think he expects someone to come in next season who can play his role. He's openly said he wants to fight for it so maybe it won't be too bad for him? Who knows. Role on the summer!

Might be a great way to see some of our potential new signings in action though? I hope we don't make any rash purchases based on this or the U21 championships!!

Neymar, Ganso, Sanchez, Cavani wouldn't be too bad like
Loves getting pissed and shagging brasses

Offline NuncaCaminarásSolo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: May 4, 2011, 06:15:19 pm »
I think if Lucas gets a lot of minutes with Brasil & establishes himself as a key player, his confidence will skyrocket. Being from a country as successful as Brasil, I'm sure the ultimate goal in his footballing life has been to become an integral part of the seleção. This will affect the amount of time he gets to rest but it can only benefit his performances for us on the field.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: May 4, 2011, 06:18:51 pm »
Insua. Hopefully.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Mr Bojangles

• Main Stander
  • They mostly come at night you know..
« Reply #8 on: May 4, 2011, 06:36:52 pm »
Maybe the fact that Suarez hasnt played that much since December may help his alround fitness. Before we signed him he hadnt played for about 6 weeks because of his spitting ban.
Always best to use a bit of spit on the opposition before biting  ;D
Mostly..

Offline scatman

• Slutty enough to make Jordan blush - and hard enough to piss in the wrong bush! Missing a shift key.
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is my world, you just WORK here :D
    • directions to football stadiums
« Reply #9 on: May 4, 2011, 06:40:19 pm »
looking forward to this copa america, insua is included in 2 argentine games in june so he may be going too!
Would sacrifice Fordy in a sacred Mayan ritual to have him as the next Liverpool manager
Football stadiums in England

Offline stevy_sayan

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: May 4, 2011, 07:06:17 pm »
I think if Lucas gets a lot of minutes with Brasil & establishes himself as a key player, his confidence will skyrocket. Being from a country as successful as Brasil, I'm sure the ultimate goal in his footballing life has been to become an integral part of the seleção. This will affect the amount of time he gets to rest but it can only benefit his performances for us on the field.
I do think he has the potential to be as influential as dunga for brazil. I think he has showed enough sign this year that in 2 years time he will be the best holding midfielder of europe

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #11 on: May 4, 2011, 07:53:12 pm »

Agreed that it's a great platform for him. He seems to be a big part of their side now and hopefully he will be full of confidence after he comes back and continues where he left off for us.

Just don't want him too tired though during the summer, because he needs a break too.
YWNA

Offline Box

• Main Stander
« Reply #12 on: May 4, 2011, 09:03:16 pm »
i'm just glad Spain rejected the invitation to take part. Pepe sat on a bench doing nothing instead of getting fit would have helped no one

Lucas probably won't be too big a deal considering how many times he's played with knocks in the past. As mentioned above, it might well do wonders for Suarez's fitness.

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #13 on: May 4, 2011, 09:10:02 pm »
One of the perils of having South American players I suppose, they seem to play a ridiculous amount of international football. I think we'll miss Suarez and Lucas more when the WC qualifiers start, usually the amount of travelling means players are in no fit state to play at the weekend when they have just travelled back from South America.
 We can probably absorb the after-effects of the Copa America, especially if we aren't competing in Europe. Even players who play in the latter stages should be able to have 3 weeks off and retain some match fitness.

Offline Studog

• Kopite
« Reply #14 on: May 4, 2011, 09:26:18 pm »
One of the perils of having South American players I suppose, they seem to play a ridiculous amount of international football. I think we'll miss Suarez and Lucas more when the WC qualifiers start, usually the amount of travelling means players are in no fit state to play at the weekend when they have just travelled back from South America.
 We can probably absorb the after-effects of the Copa America, especially if we aren't competing in Europe. Even players who play in the latter stages should be able to have 3 weeks off and retain some match fitness.

That is true but when they have south American based friendlies do they not tend to pic players based there? Same for when they play European friendlies? I remember Argentina doing the same under maradona

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #15 on: May 4, 2011, 09:30:50 pm »

Lucas won't be playing in any World Cup qualifiers, though Suarez probably will.
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline Box

• Main Stander
« Reply #16 on: May 4, 2011, 09:31:21 pm »
That is true but when they have south American based friendlies do they not tend to pic players based there? Same for when they play European friendlies? I remember Argentina doing the same under maradona

its different for friendlies. some of the south american countries, brazil in particular, sell the rights to their home games and have them wherever the highest bidder wants them. pretty sure they can't do it for the qualifiers though

Offline jaffod

• Living a double life as Billy Bunter after midnight. Has until July 3rd to figure out what from his womans clothing range to wear.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Common beermat and towel thief.
« Reply #17 on: May 4, 2011, 09:42:34 pm »
Lucas won't be playing in any World Cup qualifiers, though Suarez probably will.

Good point on Lucas, didn't think of that.

Offline -RedTilDead-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #18 on: May 4, 2011, 10:14:49 pm »
I understand the preference to have our players dedicated to club football but you just have to accept that most have international duties and aspirations too.
Just be happy that we have top international players in our team.  Most footballers at this level are fit enough to not need a whole summer without games to be fresh for next season.  I hope that Copa America just makes those involved even better players for us...
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are." - Homer Simpson

Offline SMACLFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 4, 2011, 10:17:27 pm »
I understand the preference to have our players dedicated to club football but you just have to accept that most have international duties and aspirations too.

I'mnorracceptindat.

Offline Box

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: May 4, 2011, 10:26:34 pm »
Just be happy that we have top international players in our team.  Most footballers at this level are fit enough to not need a whole summer without games to be fresh for next season.  I hope that Copa America just makes those involved even better players for us...

true, but if lucas/suarez win this then they sacrifice the summer of 2013 for the confederations cup as well.

Offline leivapool

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move!
« Reply #21 on: May 4, 2011, 10:31:52 pm »
true, but if lucas/suarez win this then they sacrifice the summer of 2013 for the confederations cup as well.

But think what it would do for their confidence?  A month away this summer with Brazil and Uruguay respectively can only improve both Suarez and Lucas.  Next season, so long as thye are fit, they return better, more confident players.  We win!
Rossiter absolutely bossed it tonight. Really believe he'll end up playing more games this season than Lucas.

Henderson won't make it here. Sorry but he won't and won't

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: May 4, 2011, 11:14:50 pm »
We can only hope they do themselves justice and don't pick up any injuries. I remember Diouf and Diao going to the African Nations in winter 2004. Houllier was fuming that they came back late, whereas I was fuming that they came back at all!!!

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: May 4, 2011, 11:24:05 pm »
I read/heard somewhere recently that Suarez was renowned in Holland for getting back to Ajax and playing his heart out after international travelling. That's good. I think we'll see it will be the same with Lucas. Next season is gonna be a major season for him here. He has the jersey and if the same momentum is carried into next season as is with us right now then the club can push itself and the players into the limelight. We ain't gonna have the CL so the boys are gonna have to kick ass in the EPL.
In short I think these 2 guys have the physical and mental qualities to deal with the rigors of the Copa. Actually I can't wait for it. Always been my favourite international competition.