Author Topic: Drink Better Beer - Belgian, German, Craft, Ales, Lagers all your hoppy goodness in one place  (Read 273980 times)

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Peasants and Plebs couldn't afford wine (most of the time) only a pleb would make that mistake.

Pleb.
haha. to be honest I like wine. What's a portmanteau of peasant and pleb. Plebsant?
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
haha. to be honest I like wine. What's a portmanteau of peasant and pleb. Plebsant?

I love wine too.

This time tomorrow I will be by St Emillion.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
I love wine too.

This time tomorrow I will be by St Emillion.

Enjoy mate! (Bummed I am not there too)

Sure sounds good to me. I am being too lazy to decline/conjugate it tonight.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
Enjoy mate! (Bummed I am not there too)

Sure sounds good to me. I am being too lazy to decline/conjugate it tonight.

The chateau next to my mates house in Sainte Colombe sells 5 litres for 10 euros.

Cant argue with that .

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline kesey

• Legacy Fan
When I was there last in December I think it was from 2013.

- The Upanishads.

- Rumi

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I'm going to Brussels in July on a bit of a beer holiday, has anybody been and got any recommendations of places to visit? Generally the more sour the beer, the more I like it. My brother has been about a year ago and has similar tastes to me, he's recommended the following places:

Mort Subite
Cantillon
Moeder Lambic
Delirium Tremens Café
Brussels Beer Project
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
haha. to be honest I like wine.

I've got a wine cellar. No wine in it...just a bag of cement

Online Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
No idea about internationally shipped beer/Ale clubs.

When ever you visit out here again if we connect I'll help you find some excellent quaffs.

Even some bourbon and scotch too.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Not widely available - only in this blue pub I think -  but a nice pint non the less.

Away Days by Toffee Club

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
Any recommendations for Beer Clubs/Subscriptions? I've just cancelled by Beer52 sub, as I felt the selections they were sending out recently were very uninspired (Brewdog? Seriously?), and they put a bottle of Arrogant Bastard (I cannot understand the love in for this, at all) in recently, which is nothing but horrid, unbalanced pisswater in my book, so a loss of brownie points there as it was a total waste of a bottle.

Off home to drink some Arbor APAs, if I've got any left.
quite liked arrogant bastard

thats founders isnt it? their breakfast stout and porter is good. dirty bastard is good too but their breakfast stout is immense
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
Been in London all weekend prior to our game tonight and ended up in the Lowlander Cafe on Dury Lane Saturday night.

Searched RAWK and found this in a London nightlife thread.

Cracking little bar and the barman recommended me Bruges Zot. 6.2 percent but bloody lovely stuff. I shifted 2 pints of it swiftly and by God I knew I'd had it.

Will definitely be revisiting in the future to try some others :)

Any other 'Bruges Zot' lovers other than me and Stubbins on here?

Walked into a pub last night and noticed they had bottles of this in the fridge. Couldn't resist the little jester! Very nice like you say.

Offline TomDcs

• Cross dressing, pant shitting, clothes thief
  • Legacy Fan
  • Six times...
Been in London all weekend prior to our game tonight and ended up in the Lowlander Cafe on Dury Lane Saturday night.

Searched RAWK and found this in a London nightlife thread.

Cracking little bar and the barman recommended me Bruges Zot. 6.2 percent but bloody lovely stuff. I shifted 2 pints of it swiftly and by God I knew I'd had it.

London has some great pubs, I always try and build in a bit of time to visit the Euston tap when I'm training it back to Liverpool for work - got some ace craft lagers / pilsners in there.

Online Stubbins

• Legacy Fan

I raised a glass of Bruges Zot to you this week Pete. This time in the Trembling Madness in York. It's a beer shop downstairs (treasure trove of every beer you could imagine) and small bar upstairs, all housed in a rickety old medieval building which is apparently haunted. I'll bet the haunted bit is good for business.

Good selection of beers on tap in the bar and a greater selection of bottled beers. Must have been upwards of 30 on the beer menu from predominantly Belgium and Germany.

Needless to say Bruges Zot was the beer of choice. Three of them and negotiating those old timber stairs on the way out was a bit of a job.

Here's to the next one, wherever that might be.

Offline Raul!

• No nude LFC topics - Sir Raul la di Dah of Coverpoint - Imminently Female
  • Legacy Fan
  • My nipples explode with delight
The older i get, the more hoppy I want my ale to be.

Online Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
The older i get, the more hoppy I want my ale to be.

This is the trend here in the states as well... there are two theories which I have heard branded about the industry as to why this is the case.

One: "Baby Boomers" (Generation born directly after WWII up to 1960) are losing the sensitivity in their taste buds and thus this leads to the seeking out of more hoppy beers and the adding of more hot sauce onto their food. (this i have seen loads of times most often with my own father.)

Two: "Baby Boomers" have begun to seek out/return to the tastes of their youth. And yes I know that beer was not hopped as much back then and that most beers (Here in the states at least) were like having intercourse in a canoe. However it is not the taste from the buzz of the beer that they are seeking out rather the hoppy sweetness of the sticky green which they used to partake in.

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan
This is the trend here in the states as well... there are two theories which I have heard branded about the industry as to why this is the case.

One: "Baby Boomers" (Generation born directly after WWII up to 1960) are losing the sensitivity in their taste buds and thus this leads to the seeking out of more hoppy beers and the adding of more hot sauce onto their food. (this i have seen loads of times most often with my own father.)

Two: "Baby Boomers" have begun to seek out/return to the tastes of their youth. And yes I know that beer was not hopped as much back then and that most beers (Here in the states at least) were like having intercourse in a canoe. However it is not the taste from the buzz of the beer that they are seeking out rather the hoppy sweetness of the sticky green which they used to partake in.
First, I'm old but not an effin' baby boomer!

Second, a lot of the beer we drank when we were earning our spurs was tasteless fizzy rubbish. It is just wonderful to have beer with actual flavour and mouthfeel. Drinking this stuff possibly makes you open to trying out more interesting and quirky flavours - there are lots of foods and other flavours I found horrible in my youth that I quite enjoy now - caviar, smelly cheese, gravlax etc. Its not that I like the really really bitter hoppy beers but that there needs to be a sufficient degree of bitterness and interesting flavour for it to hold my interest. I've also gone slight off the sweeter Belgian style wheat beers - your Hoegaardens and the like but give me a nice Saison any time...

Online Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
First, I'm old but not an effin' baby boomer!

Second, a lot of the beer we drank when we were earning our spurs was tasteless fizzy rubbish. It is just wonderful to have beer with actual flavour and mouthfeel. Drinking this stuff possibly makes you open to trying out more interesting and quirky flavours - there are lots of foods and other flavours I found horrible in my youth that I quite enjoy now - caviar, smelly cheese, gravlax etc. Its not that I like the really really bitter hoppy beers but that there needs to be a sufficient degree of bitterness and interesting flavour for it to hold my interest. I've also gone slight off the sweeter Belgian style wheat beers - your Hoegaardens and the like but give me a nice Saison any time...

HAHA, I was not calling you a Baby Boomer mate. Just pointing out the theories.

And yes, our tastes evolve and change over time.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I raised a glass of Bruges Zot to you this week Pete. This time in the Trembling Madness in York. It's a beer shop downstairs (treasure trove of every beer you could imagine) and small bar upstairs, all housed in a rickety old medieval building which is apparently haunted. I'll bet the haunted bit is good for business.

Good selection of beers on tap in the bar and a greater selection of bottled beers. Must have been upwards of 30 on the beer menu from predominantly Belgium and Germany.

Needless to say Bruges Zot was the beer of choice. Three of them and negotiating those old timber stairs on the way out was a bit of a job.

Here's to the next one, wherever that might be.

Wonderful Stubbins my man.

santé

Offline cloggypop

• Legacy Fan
I was drinking Brugse Zot Donker last week in Gent. Lovely. So was everything else. Prearis Grand Cru is amazing. Tre Fontaine is pretty damn good.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 06:55:40 pm by cloggypop »

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan

For my palate, second only to Guinness so far. Any suggestions?
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Saw a friend on Twitter jokingly pleading mercy recently with the three or four beers clubs that she gets emailed by, as they were pumping out the pre-Christmas emails.  Asked her which was her favourite, and she recommended Beer52.

Christmas morning; my dad opens an Honest Brew box, gifted by my brother.  Well that was my resistance broken; had ordered a Beer52 box by Boxing Day afternoon ;D

Meanwhile, my brother had told me on Christmas Day that a gift from him to me was arriving late.  I should have realised really...

Last week he brought an Honest Brew box round for me ;D

Offline JohnnoWhite

• Deliverer of the -Q- de grace.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thought I was wrong once - but I was mistaken.
Tell you what's a decent slurp from Tesco, Bishop's Finger @ £1.25p a bottle. And though I lived and worked in Belgium for 3.5 years and developed a taste for many great beers, that one is good value for yer pennies back home.
There is nothing wrong with striving to win, so long as you don't set the prize above the game. There can be no dishonour in defeat nor any conceit in victory. What matters above all is that the team plays in the right spirit, with skill, courage, fair play,no favour and the result accepted without bitterness. Sir Matt Busby CBE KCSG 1909-1994

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
My local Tescos have started to sell Courage Directors. I drink it and get taken to a 1990s happy place.
Justice for the 96!

Offline The Bournemouth Red

• 43 year old Muppet fan and proud. I decide. And so does my wife!
  • Legacy Fan
  • 6 times and counting
My local Tescos have started to sell Courage Directors. I drink it and get taken to a 1990s happy place.

The Wetherspoon near me used to do Directors on cask for £1.49 a pint.  Happy days. 

If you had told me 10 years ago you could have six pints for under a tenner nowadays I'd have told you to naff off!
Falling down, getting up, always Red.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
Tell you what's a decent slurp from Tesco, Bishop's Finger @ £1.25p a bottle. And though I lived and worked in Belgium for 3.5 years and developed a taste for many great beers, that one is good value for yer pennies back home.
Like this myself also. For a decent amount of beer in the bottle again like this at the same price, I have been on the Wychwood Hobgoblin. The describe it as "Traditionally craft brewed with Chocolate & Crystal malts and a blend of Styrian, Goldings & Fuggles hops to produce a full-bodied, Ruby beer that delivers a delicious chocolate toffee malt flavour, balanced with a rounded moderate bitterness and an overall fruity, mischievous character" No idea how a beer is mischievous, but the ingredients are top notch there, and you can taste that. 5.2 is a good middle strength for the winter for me, half way between the small Belgians and normal bitter.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
Any Pilsner Urquell fans? Just recently discovered it. Cracking lager. One with history as well - it's the first Pilsner that was brewed in Plzen in the former German lands, now the Czech Republic.

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
Any Pilsner Urquell fans? Just recently discovered it. Cracking lager. One with history as well - it's the first Pilsner that was brewed in Plzen in the former German lands, now the Czech Republic.

Love a drop of that, used to drink it in Bier on Newington, now the Newington Temple.

I'm sure loads here drunk it that went to Porto but Super Bock went down a treat.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion

I’ve got it coming out of my taps.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Love a drop of that, used to drink it in Bier on Newington, now the Newington Temple.

I'm sure loads here drunk it that went to Porto but Super Bock went down a treat.
I live in Spain and Pilsner Urquell seems to be much more ubiquitous than it is in the UK. Availability of decent lager at affordable prices is much better in general.

Online Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!

There is at least one other theory. Lupulin threshold shift - sound really scientific, innit?

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/lupulin-threshold/
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Online Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
I live in Spain and Pilsner Urquell seems to be much more ubiquitous than it is in the UK. Availability of decent lager at affordable prices is much better in general.
I started brewing last year and sometime in the autumn I had to realise that I can only tolerate Pilsner Urquel from tap. That's still brilliant.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Lovely lovely stuff, the drink of the summer for me.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I started brewing last year and sometime in the autumn I had to realise that I can only tolerate Pilsner Urquel from tap. That's still brilliant.
Aye the bottles or cans are OK but not many beat it on draft.

Online Crimson_Tank

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
There is at least one other theory. Lupulin threshold shift - sound really scientific, innit?

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/lupulin-threshold/

Yes, I forgot about that one. But yes, it sounds really scientific...

Offline Raul!

• Legacy Fan

Know and appreciate the Finger.

Offline Slightly Less Mediocre Baron Bennekov

• SNITCH. Has a wotsit the size of a wasp sting. McManaman (doo doooby doo doo!) Mentally slow due to being on RAWK too much.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You'll see it when you believe it!
Know and appreciate the Finger.

That's what she said yesterday..... :moon

I'll get my coat.

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I have been drinking Camden Hells Lager all night, good stuff.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
Anyone recommend a good craft beer monthly subscription?, I already have one with Flavourly, but for obvious reasons it doesn't last long (the beer is fantastic), wouldn't mind subscribing to another one each month.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
Like this myself also. For a decent amount of beer in the bottle again like this at the same price, I have been on the Wychwood Hobgoblin. The describe it as "Traditionally craft brewed with Chocolate & Crystal malts and a blend of Styrian, Goldings & Fuggles hops to produce a full-bodied, Ruby beer that delivers a delicious chocolate toffee malt flavour, balanced with a rounded moderate bitterness and an overall fruity, mischievous character" No idea how a beer is mischievous, but the ingredients are top notch there, and you can taste that. 5.2 is a good middle strength for the winter for me, half way between the small Belgians and normal bitter.
Probably mischievous if you start drinking in Nelson (Lancashire mate from uni is from there) and it causes you to end up at a party in Harrogate with no knowledge of how you got there.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
My tastes in lager have contracted further away from harsh taste and overly hoppy. I think it's increased choosing of wheat beers like Erdinger or Hoegaarden. Budweiser, Coors Light & Fosters my lager favourites now; light and mildly fruity.

A year or so ago in Mancland I went in Brewdog with some mates. Took me an hour to struggle through a pint of some IPA. Horrible - almost like a bitter.

So I'm not sure why I bought a 6 pack of Maltsmiths Pilsner Style Lager. Actually I am sure; it's because it was in the reduced to clear section at Tesco, half price at £3.

And it's frigging rank.

Overly malty, overly hoppy and with a chemical-citrussy aftertaste. I found that after every slurp my nose would involuntarily wrinkle up. That first can was opened when the contents were merely 'cool' so I figured it may improve on proper chilling. It didn't. The remaining 4 cans will sit in my garage until either a mate with no taste buds and an inexplicable penchant for overly hoppy/malty crap visits, or I fancy a beer-buzz but am out of nice, light lager and can't face a creme de menthe or white spirit.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"