539 (72.8%)
Don't Know
10 (1.4%)
Don't Care
15 (2%)
I don't live in the UK
97 (13.1%)

Total Members Voted: 740

Author Topic: Brexit: "Vultus inanis est et mori in fossa ego sum!"  (Read 1439997 times)

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Brexit thread - Rocky Horror Brexit Shitshow Hallowe'en Special!
« Reply #22640 on: May 22, 2019, 06:45:08 pm »
BREAK: hear the PM will meet Sir Graham on Friday. Source says if no resignation by then... (I’ll fill in the dots, they’ll force the vote and have her out)

https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1131250486273822722

Why wait?

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #22641 on: May 22, 2019, 07:04:02 pm »
The trouble is...

The trouble is...

Whoever replaces May..... what precisely do they intend to do.

No one has actually said.  No ideas, no commitments, no pan.

Disaster awaits
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22642 on: May 22, 2019, 07:09:36 pm »
The trouble is...

The trouble is...

Whoever replaces May..... what precisely do they intend to do.

No one has actually said.  No ideas, no commitments, no pan.

Disaster awaits

You can either keep hoping that everything will return to normal by some magical twist or you can just accept the possibility that things need to become even more of a mess and hit rock bottom before things can start to take more positive turns.

Of course, by then it could be too late. But thats just tough, isnt it.

The Tories are electing a nutter then it needs to be the most incompetent nutter there is. McVey, Leadsom, Truss, Boris. Any one of them will die on their feet.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22643 on: May 22, 2019, 07:19:46 pm »
https://twitter.com/BethRigby/status/1131250486273822722

Why wait?

Stephen Bush reckons that they want to give it another chance to persuade her because some on the 1922 are really worried that once they rewrite rules for her then it sets the precedent for next time. And it's not like the Tories are particularly united right now.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22644 on: May 22, 2019, 07:27:52 pm »
Someone pointed out on Reddit that if she did quit tonight, the media won't be allowed to report on it tomorrow until the polls closed...

Perhaps that's why she's thinking of doing it.  :lmao

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22645 on: May 22, 2019, 07:28:55 pm »
Do you want Brexit to happen?

John McDonnell: “Yeah.”

Folks.

Don’t vote labour if you want to stay in the EU.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22646 on: May 22, 2019, 07:42:03 pm »
Leadsom gone.

Online Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #22647 on: May 22, 2019, 07:42:22 pm »
Leadsome gone. More irreplaceable talent lost....

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #22648 on: May 22, 2019, 07:45:56 pm »
Do you want Brexit to happen?

John McDonnell: “Yeah.”

Do you have a source for that?

Offline BobOnATank

• Kopite
« Reply #22649 on: May 22, 2019, 07:46:24 pm »
Let's look at one positive (aside from may getting the boot in shame and the tories imploding), its a social experiment. Its not often (or ever really) that you get to find out how many people will vote for a colour of a rosette given that there is absolutely no reason at all to vote for them. It'll be a good guide to understand who of the population are inclined to vote but no notion as to why they will do so :)

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22651 on: May 22, 2019, 08:26:26 pm »
BBC report on the Scunthorpe steel collapse awful today.
One reporter arguing Scunthorpe is taking a hammering on social media, how they voted for Brexit so they are getting what the deserve etc is unfair, Brexit hasn't caused this crisis, it's the uncertainty of Brexit thats caused this crisis, >:(  this gives the impression that a no deal will end the uncertainty and help recovery, a no deal will be the end of the steel industry in this country, union officials are not even convinced a deal will save the industry, a no deal and the pound plummets even more, tariffs kick in and the orders stop completely.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22652 on: May 22, 2019, 08:37:04 pm »
One reporter arguing Scunthorpe is taking a hammering on social media, how they voted for Brexit so they are getting what the deserve etc is unfair, Brexit hasn't caused this crisis, it's the uncertainty of Brexit thats caused this crisis, >:(  this gives the impression that a no deal will end the uncertainty and help recovery, a no deal will be the end of the steel industry in this country, union officials are not even convinced a deal will save the industry, a no deal and the pound plummets even more, tariffs kick in and the orders stop completely.

That region voted 66% to leave.

Unlucky.

Offline buttersstotch

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22653 on: May 22, 2019, 08:49:46 pm »

You can't try arguing with these people, unfortunately they have just been fed way too many lies. While I agree the uncertainty is not helping things, a No Deal would be far worse. Just be grateful that we can see this!

Anyone in Yorkshire/Humber that's Pro-Remain might want to vote Green instead of Lib Dem. Word going round is they've practically already got 1 seat, but will be a struggle to get 2. Might be worth voting tactically with Greens.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22654 on: May 22, 2019, 08:51:30 pm »
That region voted 66% to leave.

Unlucky.
Yep, a union official was talking about the devastation caused by the steel closures in Redcar. something many of us have argued over the last few years. she says the closures devastated the region, the collapse of large companies just doesn't hit the people directly employed, it doesn't just hit the suppliers either, it hits the whole area, shops close, people who provide services find people just haven't got the money. a lot of people thought they were immune to the effects of Brexit, they are in for a nasty shock.
I have a lot of sympathy for the 34% who voted remain in Scunthorpe, I hope the 66% start to point the finger at the people who told them everything will be fine after we voted to leave the EU. I may have a bit of sympathy for them then.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22655 on: May 22, 2019, 08:56:13 pm »
Yep, a union official was talking about the devastation caused by the steel closures in Redcar. something many of us have argued over the last few years. she says the closures devastated the region, the collapse of large companies just doesn't hit the people directly employed, it doesn't just hit the suppliers either, it hits the whole area, shops close, people who provide services find people just haven't got the money. a lot of people thought they were immune to the effects of Brexit, they are in for a nasty shock.
I have a lot of sympathy for the 34% who voted remain in Scunthorpe, I hope the 66% start to point the finger at the people who told them everything will be fine after we voted to leave the EU. I may have a bit of sympathy for them then.

They wont. Most people wont admit they were wrong. They will just sit in their pubs and lounge’s and say the politicians did Brexit wrong and if they would have followed their way, it would have been great.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22656 on: May 22, 2019, 09:00:49 pm »
Do you have a source for that?
Yes. I saw it on the telly.
W

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22657 on: May 22, 2019, 09:02:03 pm »
They wont. Most people wont admit they were wrong. They will just sit in their pubs Weatherspoons and lounge’s and say the politicians did Brexit wrong and if they would have followed their way, it would have been great.

I agree.

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22659 on: May 22, 2019, 09:09:33 pm »
They wont. Most people wont admit they were wrong. They will just sit in their pubs and lounge’s and say the politicians did Brexit wrong and if they would have followed their way, it would have been great.
Am sure you're right in most cases but I can see some very bitter arguments breaking out in these same pubs as well.
               Emily Maitlis

Online BoRed

• BoRing
  • Legacy Fan
  • BoRac
« Reply #22660 on: May 22, 2019, 09:20:56 pm »
https://twitter.com/Jamin2g/status/1130948208899895296

Thanks.

"Yeah" is not really the entire quote, though.

"Yeah, we want to abide by the decision of the last referendum, but we can't" would be closer (mathematically speaking :)).

Offline cissesbeard

• Kopite
« Reply #22661 on: May 22, 2019, 09:21:07 pm »
Am sure you're right in most cases but I can see some very bitter arguments breaking out in these same pubs as well.

almost lost my shit with my dad last week - he voted leave. was always a labour man and in the trade unions when he worked but since hes retired I don't know whats happened to him. I asked him to give me the 3 main benefits of us leaving the EU and all he came up with was won't have to pay them any money and they won't be controlling us! fuck sake, I was raging. I just don't think many leave voters will ever agree leave was a bad idea, it will always be 'the politicians ballsed it up and if we'd left straight away it would have been ok'

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22662 on: May 22, 2019, 09:39:31 pm »
Thanks.

"Yeah" is not really the entire quote, though.

"Yeah, we want to abide by the decision of the last referendum, but we can't" would be closer (mathematically speaking :)).

That is also not the full quote.

Stopping it at 'can't' is just as, if not more out of context than just 'Yeah'. He can't support a particular kind of Brexit, but he still still supports it.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22663 on: May 22, 2019, 09:43:57 pm »
You can't try arguing with these people, unfortunately they have just been fed way too many lies. While I agree the uncertainty is not helping things, a No Deal would be far worse. Just be grateful that we can see this!

Anyone in Yorkshire/Humber that's Pro-Remain might want to vote Green instead of Lib Dem. Word going round is they've practically already got 1 seat, but will be a struggle to get 2. Might be worth voting tactically with Greens.
Yeah, I wouldn't bother but I think I would have a different attitude if I was younger and actually loosing a decent job, am sure they have fell for many lies but I think we know many of them willingly accepted these lies so they could justify why they voted leave, "EU telling us what to do" asked for a example and they quoted Bendy Bananas even though they know it's untrue. Widdecombe gave a horrible nasty speech to a packed Gammon audience only the other night, shouting they called you all idiots for voting leave, you knew what you voted for, you hate being told what to do by the unelected EU bureaucrats, cheers filled the room, she said this days before one of the biggest democratic elections in the world,, the EUs European elections.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:23:57 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22664 on: May 22, 2019, 10:15:02 pm »
almost lost my shit with my dad last week - he voted leave. was always a labour man and in the trade unions when he worked but since hes retired I don't know whats happened to him. I asked him to give me the 3 main benefits of us leaving the EU and all he came up with was won't have to pay them any money and they won't be controlling us! fuck sake, I was raging. I just don't think many leave voters will ever agree leave was a bad idea, it will always be 'the politicians ballsed it up and if we'd left straight away it would have been ok'

Spoke.to my remain voted 71 year old mum recently. She's sound of mind and absolutely not how I remember 71 year olds being.

She doesn't understand these elections and what they are for.

Politicians and the media have been doing a terrible job over the last few years. I'm slowly coming round to the fact that quite a lot of leave voters simply don't know what's going on

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22665 on: May 22, 2019, 10:18:39 pm »
Seems to be how people view the EU and our membership. we don't pay the EU we contribute to the funding it needs to run,we contribute to all the schemes that are trying to improve lives. I always compare it to someone on market stall refusing to pay for his pitch when he makes a grand a day, he doesnt save £100 for leaving his pitch, he losses £900 profit, the more I looked into how the EU make the single market work the more I realised the genius of it, i really couldn't give a s,, on the technical standards all EU countries agree on, I assume they must be for the best, nobodys telling us do what we should do, we've all agreed to the same standards and rules to do away with borders, to save factories having many productions lines making something France will accept but not Germany or Spain etc. it's all about how you look at it really, I wouldn't mind but we will definitely be forced to keep to EU standards after we leave, don't get me wrong it really pees me off that the likes of Frottage and Batten are now about to walk away with a EU pension of around £80 Grand a year for life when they've done f.. all except cause trouble.
Am disgusted with some of the unions. they have played politics and it could cost millions of jobs, sorry your dad didn't consider the effect of leaving will have on jobs, wages, workers rights etc. I would have put a lot of money on trade unions being one of the biggest remain lobby's in the UK, seems I was wrong.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 02:42:32 am by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22666 on: May 22, 2019, 10:20:38 pm »
Spoke.to my remain voted 71 year old mum recently. She's sound of mind and absolutely not how I remember 71 year olds being.

Politicians and the media have been doing a terrible job over the last few years. I'm slowly coming round to the fact that quite a lot of leave voters simply don't know what's going on

Try political campaigning. Its hard fucking work making people understand what the votes are for.

I certainly am not sneering at people who didn't understand the vote on cultural/language grounds but during the EU vote I was campaigning in Lozell's in Birmingham and trying to convince a Jamaican women that the vote wasn't about whether they were going be sent back to Jamaica was hard work.

Then again, the windrush scandal happened, so she was probably right.

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #22667 on: May 22, 2019, 10:29:37 pm »
Try political campaigning. Its hard fucking work making people understand what the votes are for.

I certainly am not sneering at people who didn't understand the vote on cultural/language grounds but during the EU vote I was campaigning in Lozell's in Birmingham and trying to convince a Jamaican women that the vote wasn't about whether they were going be sent back to Jamaica was hard work.

Then again, the windrush scandal happened, so she was probably right.

😂😂

Fair play to her.

I get that - and possibly in different circumstances I could have still been living at home in a dead end town believing that it was all these bloody polish people who were adding to my troubles.

Even now, I sometimes ask myself what tomorrow is about. Then I see Tommy Robinson in my hometown and his idiot mates in bootle and realise it doesn't matter if we leave in 4 months. It's about not giving these weirdos a platform

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22668 on: May 22, 2019, 10:36:25 pm »
😂😂

Fair play to her.

I get that - and possibly in different circumstances I could have still been living at home in a dead end town believing that it was all these bloody polish people who were adding to my troubles.

Even now, I sometimes ask myself what tomorrow is about. Then I see Tommy Robinson in my hometown and his idiot mates in bootle and realise it doesn't matter if we leave in 4 months. It's about not giving these weirdos a platform

I don't think a lack of political knowledge is a massive issue. I used to think the politically interested lot in Uni were dull, when I spent my time partying, getting drunk or studying. I have only ever been politically involved in 2 votes, one the London Mayoral election and the EU referendum.

In fact I wish I could go back to a time where I knew fuck all about these MP's. Now I seem to know pretty much everything.

I don't sympathise with people who blame their problems on others. I can understand a lack of political knowledge. But decency and common sense? Nah.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #22669 on: May 23, 2019, 12:05:44 am »
Dropping this in here as a heads-up, cos if May goes and someone like Raab gets in then it's going to be pretty relevant.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/new-prime-minister-intent-no-deal-brexit-cant-be-stopped-mps-0

There is no decisive route to blocking no deal

Pass Backbench or Opposition day motions opposing no deal

Although these wouldn’t have legal teeth, they would be politically important. But these are scheduled by the Government – between November and April the Government didn’t schedule any Opposition days at all – and a new Prime Minister could just avoid giving any time to the Opposition ahead of the Article 50 deadline.

Apply to the Speaker for emergency debates under Standing Order 24

These are motions which say that the House has ‘considered’ an issue. The Speaker could grant such a debate, but these motions are in neutral terms (which means they are unamendable) and are not legally binding.

Amend the Queen’s Speech at the start of the next session

A new Conservative leader would be expected to to prorogue Parliament and set out their plans for the next session in a Queen’s Speech – and this would give MPs an opportunity to table amendments which could try and block no deal. But a new PM has no obligation to prorogue Parliament and could choose to drag this ‘zombie’ session past the October 31 deadline.

Vote against the Government’s programme

MPs can express their opposition to the Government by opposing all government business. But if the Government isn’t bringing any major new bills before the House then a new PM may not be overly concerned by the prospect of inconsequential legislative defeats

Vote of ‘no confidence’ in the Government

A vote of ‘no confidence’ would trigger a 14-day period where someone else – including Jeremy Corbyn – could try and form a Government which wins the support of the Commons. If that cannot be achieved then the UK would face a general election. But there would need to be a new Prime Minister in place who is prepared to go to the EU to ask for a further extension before the 31 October deadline is reached.

NB: for what it's worth, even to 'no deal' in an 'orderly' way would require further legislation, question is how willing the next PM is to skip that part.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 12:14:37 am by Zeb »
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #22670 on: May 23, 2019, 06:54:37 am »

Well clearly we're voting to see which unelected bureaucrats go to Brussels.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22671 on: May 23, 2019, 07:55:38 am »
Dropping this in here as a heads-up, cos if May goes and someone like Raab gets in then it's going to be pretty relevant.

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/new-prime-minister-intent-no-deal-brexit-cant-be-stopped-mps-0

NB: for what it's worth, even to 'no deal' in an 'orderly' way would require further legislation, question is how willing the next PM is to skip that part.
Tremendously worrying.  It looks like no deal will actually happen.

Such stupidity.
W

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22672 on: May 23, 2019, 11:47:00 am »
May doing a u-turn on the revised WA  :lmao :lmao :lmao

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #22673 on: May 23, 2019, 12:16:32 pm »

Hey it's what the Brexit voters voted for

#LOL
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22674 on: May 23, 2019, 12:31:56 pm »
Well clearly we're voting to see which unelected bureaucrats go to Brussels.
Yeah and we are going to vote out all the unaccountable EU bureaucrats people voted for in the last EU elections.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #22675 on: May 23, 2019, 01:48:09 pm »
May doing a u-turn on the revised WA  :lmao :lmao :lmao
Fuckinell............well that's her finished then. Expecting her to go tonight when the extent of the mauling from the votes is revealed......

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48374841

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #22676 on: May 23, 2019, 01:53:29 pm »
Fuckinell............well that's her finished then. Expecting her to go tonight when the extent of the mauling from the votes is revealed......

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-48374841
Don't think votes are counted until Sunday night after the rest of Europe finishes voting. So they've got a few days to get a locksmith in and get her out of her panic room.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22677 on: May 23, 2019, 02:12:59 pm »
Don't think votes are counted until Sunday night after the rest of Europe finishes voting. So they've got a few days to get a locksmith in and get her out of her panic room.

There will presumably be an exit poll though(?) which are usually very accurate.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #22678 on: May 23, 2019, 02:13:31 pm »
Oh right yeah soz - forgot - well, in these increasingly 'open' times where people feel legitimised in their more extreme opinions, we might well see enough (relatively) reliable data from exit polls to get a feeling of just how fuckin badly mauled the 'main' parties are......that might be enough to tip the balance - isn't she gonna get a pasting from the 1922 on Friday anyway?

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22679 on: May 23, 2019, 02:18:51 pm »
genuinely can`t believe we are two years post Brexit and Labour still can`t give us a straight answer on their position on Brexit.
goodness knows how they are going to ever run the country
the party really fked up when they picked the wrong milliband :no