Author Topic: Rafa hits back at Souness  (Read 35411 times)

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Ministry of Scilly Talks :)
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Rafa hits back at Souness
« Reply #240 on: December 11, 2009, 10:49:31 pm »
If Rafa shat on a pavement, I'd get a jiffy bag and collect it and put it on my mantlepiece.

Offline Not English but Scouse

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #241 on: December 11, 2009, 10:52:18 pm »
This thread is unber - fucking - lieveable........never seen such a deluded set of posts in all my life.

???

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #242 on: December 11, 2009, 10:52:29 pm »
If Rafa shat on a pavement, I'd get a jiffy bag and collect it and put it on my mantlepiece.

So you want him to be more like Fergie now? Turncoat!

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Get Behind Brendan Rodgers
« Reply #243 on: December 11, 2009, 10:52:51 pm »

That would be nice.....erm... :o
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #244 on: December 11, 2009, 10:53:13 pm »
The media slant against the City itself is a disgrace.

Which makes it even harder to understand why people can't grasp the anti-Rafa, anti-LFC slant. 
Ah well, leave the sheep to it, I've got better things to do with my brain.  Like, using the fucking thing.

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #245 on: December 11, 2009, 10:55:08 pm »
That would be nice.....erm... :o

You can smell my fingers for a fiver.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: December 11, 2009, 10:56:16 pm »
Which makes it even harder to understand why people can't grasp the anti-Rafa, anti-LFC slant. 
Ah well, leave the sheep to it, I've got better things to do with my brain.  Like, using the fucking thing.

To be fair the anti Rafa agenda also has a healthy dose of racism tossed in for good measure.
From here on in its all FSG's doing. Good or bad they will stand or fall by the decisions they have made in the summer of 2012. Lets hope they have gotten it right.

Offline bleedsred1978

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: December 11, 2009, 10:57:18 pm »
You can smell my fingers for a fiver.

I can smell me own for f*ck all...thanks anyway like.

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: December 11, 2009, 11:00:57 pm »
Did he actually say ANY of these things in this exact manner? (with it being the Mail and all). The volume control thing is completely twisted isn't it?
Me thinks not. Especially the Klinsmann in the studio / after my job stuff...
Some words are correct some seem to be, perhaps an incorrect version of shorthand?

Offline mrbutch

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • Gary ! f*** off, come back , Now f*** off again
« Reply #249 on: December 11, 2009, 11:05:53 pm »
For anyone throwing the 'your all media paranoid and over sensitive' stuff around...

ANY fan, and I mean ANY fan, could tell you this. We played Barcelona, Inter Milan, Real Madrid etc away over the last few years. Those three games, which we WON, were on Sky TV. After each game, it wasn't our performance that was highlighted in the studio afterwards. It was the oppositions faults. Never how well WE played, just how poorly THEY played. The angle that was put on it was how poor the opposition were. After each game. Even when we hammered Madrid at home. And it's happened way more times than that too.

Ask any fan when Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd play away to a big gun in Europe, on Sky TV, and WIN, how much praise their performance gets.
That's not paranoia, it's a fact.

Simple question Paul, Why ? What have we done to deserve it ?
red under the bed

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #250 on: December 11, 2009, 11:06:02 pm »
Doesn't he do separate interviews with TV and the written press, so there may be two sets of quotes.
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: December 11, 2009, 11:09:06 pm »
You losers! Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez in stunning blast at Graeme Souness and Jurgen Klinsmann
By John Edwards
Last updated at 9:52 PM on 11th December 2009

If someone chooses to talk too much, that is their problem. Just look at what they did as managers. Fantastic. People will look at that and know how to treat what they say. I honestly don’t bother to listen to comments like that. I will just concentrate on what I know and what I have done and let people make their own judgments.

‘I don’t know if there is any hidden agenda in Klinsmann being on Sky twice and us playing each time. Is he after my job? I really do not know. All I can be sure of is that these sort of things will still be coming out in four or five years and I still won’t be taking any notice.’

Benitez bluntly admitted that reducing debt had been Liverpool’s overriding concern during the summer and that his faltering side were suffering as a consequence.

As he prepared for a crucial Anfield showdown with Arsenal, the Liverpool manager spoke for the first time about his club’s financial plight and conceded it had taken precedence over spending plans.

He had to shelve plans to bid for West Ham centre-back Matthew Upson, as owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett concentrated their efforts on trimming a deficit of around £300million to its current figure of £240m.

Even so, he was adamant Manchester City would not be allowed to prise Fernando Torres away in the January window and just as insistent there was no danger of Liverpool suffering the same fate as Leeds United.

‘It is true there was no net spending on players in the summer, but we have to accept our situation and try to do the best we can under the conditions that prevail,’ he said.

‘Can we improve with these conditions? I think so but it is a question of time. Debt reduction had to be the priority in the summer.

‘It was one of the most important things that we had to manage. Along with football issues, we had to manage them together.

When I signed my five-year contract, we knew that we had to work together so we will try to do the best for the club. Sometimes you can do it and still perform on the pitch and sometimes you have to wait a bit.

‘I think the people inside the club know what the situation is, when it comes to expectations. It is difficult to explain every single issue to the media and the fans, but we have to keep working inside and trying to do the best for the club.

‘Because we won the Champions League and the FA Cup, everyone assumed we would win trophies every single year. We got 86 points last season and people were expecting us to stay at the same level.

‘Sometimes it is difficult to keep this level and we are disappointed because we are in a bad position in the table. But it is still early in the season and we have time to improve. With Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres fit and available, we will do.

Certainly, there is no chance, absolutely no chance of us being vulnerable to City in the January window. We will continue doing our job and keeping our players because we want to stay in the top four. The players know that too.

‘Also, I don’t see Liverpool in the same way as Leeds. One of the priorities this year was to reduce the debt and the club is working very hard to do this.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1235197/Liverpool-boss-Rafa-Benitez-stunning-blast-Graeme-Souness-Jurgen-Klinsmann.html?ITO=1490

Some more quotes from Rafa and probably a little bit better understanding of his comments regarding Graeme Souness.

Where does all this stuff come from because it's not in the mail?

I listened to Rafa's interview tonight and none of this stuff was mentioned.  I also note none of it is in quotes.

I hope you're not making quotes up?  That would be sad.

Edit - maybe he did say all that.  Wasn't in the interview I watched, although it appears in your link.  Hope he didn't say all that.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:15:31 pm by TSC »

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #252 on: December 11, 2009, 11:15:59 pm »
For anyone throwing the 'your all media paranoid and over sensitive' stuff around...

ANY fan, and I mean ANY fan, could tell you this. We played Barcelona, Inter Milan, Real Madrid etc away over the last few years. Those three games, which we WON, were on Sky TV. After each game, it wasn't our performance that was highlighted in the studio afterwards. It was the oppositions faults. Never how well WE played, just how poorly THEY played. The angle that was put on it was how poor the opposition were. After each game. Even when we hammered Madrid at home. And it's happened way more times than that too.

Ask any fan when Arsenal, Chelsea and Man Utd play away to a big gun in Europe, on Sky TV, and WIN, how much praise their performance gets.
That's not paranoia, it's a fact.

Agree.

It's no coincidence that when we lose, "Rafa's a poor manager".  When we win, "Rafa's a lucky manager".  The latter point is the one one that sticks out.  "Lucky".  It's not that Rafa's got his tactical instincts spot on, and set his team up to the Nth degree to engineer a win.  He's merely got lucky.  I don't see where Rafa gets "lucky" to be honest.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: December 11, 2009, 11:17:02 pm »
Where does all this stuff come from because it's not in the mail?

I listened to Rafa's interview tonight and none of this stuff was mentioned.  I also note none of it is in quotes.

I hope you're not making quotes up?  That would be sad.

Edit - maybe he did say all that.  Wasn't in the interview I watched, although it appears in your link.  Hope he didn't say all that.

He may have mentioned other stuff to the written press.

Offline mrbutch

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
  • Gary ! f*** off, come back , Now f*** off again
« Reply #254 on: December 11, 2009, 11:24:02 pm »
Agree.

It's no coincidence that when we lose, "Rafa's a poor manager".  When we win, "Rafa's a lucky manager".  The latter point is the one one that sticks out.  "Lucky".  It's not that Rafa's got his tactical instincts spot on, and set his team up to the Nth degree to engineer a win.  He's merely got lucky.  I don't see where Rafa gets "lucky" to be honest.

Good point.  Sky, in commentary, said in Europe he is known as the "Lucky General" FFS, where do they get that from.  In Europe ?  Who in Europe ? Where in Europe ?  Apparently on Mars he is known as "bdwhfbruehgfvuybc"
red under the bed

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #255 on: December 11, 2009, 11:27:22 pm »
"Rafa's a lucky manager"

Oh fuck me sideways, where did THAT nugget come from?  Did I hear them right on Wednesday when they referred to Rafa as "the Lucky General in Europe"?

WHO refers to him as that aside from Sky?  'They'?  Who the fuck are 'they'?
'They' (we) also refer to Andy Gray as Martin Tyler's Monkey, but that doesn't seem to get much of an airing during games.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Offline Daniel Cabbaggio

• Roughage
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pass and move, keep it simple = 19 & 6
    • www.redandwhitekop.com
« Reply #256 on: December 11, 2009, 11:28:43 pm »
WELL FUCKING IN RAFA

That is all

oh and

"I would rather have a lucky general than a smart general.... They win battles"

Dwight D Eisenhower

Fortunatly Rafa is and can be both :)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 11:30:49 pm by Daniel Cabbaggio »
YNWA

Offline Dr Cornwallis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: December 11, 2009, 11:31:38 pm »
Good point.  Sky, in commentary, said in Europe he is known as the "Lucky General" FFS, where do they get that from.  In Europe ?  Who in Europe ? Where in Europe ?  Apparently on Mars he is known as "bdwhfbruehgfvuybc"

Thank fuck it wasn't just me popping blood vessels when listening to a simple game of football.  Is it too much to ask for those retards to just tell me who's on the ball and shout 'goal' from time to time?  Is that too hard to ask? 
"The Lucky General".  Jesus Christ. 

I'll be watching the Arsenal game on Sunday with the volume down or with the ipod on.  I don't have to put up with that shite.  I hope to god that I bump into one or more of those c*nts someday.  I really, really do.

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: December 11, 2009, 11:57:09 pm »
Oh fuck me sideways, where did THAT nugget come from?  Did I hear them right on Wednesday when they referred to Rafa as "the Lucky General in Europe"?

WHO refers to him as that aside from Sky?  'They'?  Who the fuck are 'they'?
'They' (we) also refer to Martin Tyler's Monkey as Martin Tyler's Monkey, but that doesn't seem to get much of an airing during games.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I should take it steady.  I imagine yer blood pressure is through the roof right now ;)

Offline Fat Scouser

• Trolley Dolly with a 54 2/3 inch waist - last seen shopping on Scottie Road for speedos. Is just a bit.....you know.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #259 on: December 12, 2009, 12:14:44 am »
This wasnt about the back catalogue Fat Scouser, it was about Wednesday night. Still, never let the facts get in the way, eh?
So we ignore everything he's said in the past. We just judge him on what he said  on Wednesday, or can we update that with each attack?

I said earlier in the thread that I thought he was tame the other night. And there's no denying that he had a nip at the owners for once and not just Rafa. But sorry mate.... that's not enough to make me ignore or forgive and forget all that went on before.
"A peasant you are. A peasant you will remain. And we shall use all our wealth and power, to make your lot even worse and keep you exactly where you are, Bondage!"    The Boy King, Richard II, after  putting down the The Peasants Revolt in 1381.

http://misterinobody.weebly.com/

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #260 on: December 12, 2009, 12:15:30 am »
"Sky Sports can lick my juicy fat **** and shove their own ***** up their own ********* whilst ******* their own *******."

There. That's Rafa's next response sorted. De nada, Senor Benitez ;D

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: December 12, 2009, 12:19:49 am »
Well in rafa,

i loved souness the player, absolutely adored that guy but off the pitch it's another matter.

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #262 on: December 12, 2009, 12:22:08 am »
Doesn't he do separate interviews with TV and the written press, so there may be two sets of quotes.

Yes, but only after matches. There's only one press conference done on a Thursday or Friday before a round of Premier League fixtures, with both the written press and broadcast media in attendance.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #263 on: December 12, 2009, 12:23:22 am »
Notwithstanding the fact some believe it's us against the media world.  At the end of the day if we win nowt this season it'll be five yrs since a trophy win.  Off the top of my head I can't rem a manager at Liverpool who survived that long without success - not in my lifetime anyway?

Souness lasted about 3 seasons with an FA cup in between .  Evans was about 3/4 yrs with a league cup.  Houllier was about 5 yrs with about 4 trophies I think? (without checking the net etc).

Of course I could be wrong.

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #264 on: December 12, 2009, 12:31:54 am »
Notwithstanding the fact some believe it's us against the media world.  At the end of the day if we win nowt this season it'll be five yrs since a trophy win.  Off the top of my head I can't rem a manager at Liverpool who survived that long without success - not in my lifetime anyway?

Souness lasted about 3 seasons with an FA cup in between .  Evans was about 3/4 yrs with a league cup.  Houllier was about 5 yrs with about 4 trophies I think? (without checking the net etc).

Of course I could be wrong.

May 2006 - FA Cup
Aug 2006 - Community Shield
May 2007 - 1
May 2008 - 2
May 2009 - 3
May 2010 - 4 years

short memory or shit at Maths?

Shankly went between 1966 and 1973 without winning a thing. It may not be in your life time, it may be a different era but thems the facts.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: December 12, 2009, 12:35:28 am »
May 2006 - FA Cup
Aug 2006 - Community Shield
May 2007 - 1
May 2008 - 2
May 2009 - 3
May 2010 - 4 years

short memory or shit at Maths?

Shankly went between 1966 and 1973 without winning a thing. It may not be in your life time, it may be a different era but thems the facts.

Nope, you're just shite at reading the detail.  I said if we didn't win anything this season then it would be 5 yrs.  We could of course win the FA cup this term or the Uefa or whatever it's called but I stated if we didn't win anything this term then it will be 5 yrs.

Yep, Shanks was before my time, but then is it a fair comparison when we were 2nd div when he took over?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:37:17 am by TSC »

Offline redforlife

• For future reference an equals sign looks like this: =
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We Are Liverpool
« Reply #266 on: December 12, 2009, 12:41:04 am »
If we finish the season trophyless it'll still only be 4 years since our last one.
Didi Hamann

In the corridors and changing rooms of Anfield I met many people - the great, the talented, the legendary.  I know that I only met one genius.  He was a small, smiling man with a neatly clipped beard.  His name was Rafael Benitez.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: December 12, 2009, 12:44:23 am »
If we finish the season trophyless it'll still only be 4 years since our last one.

Yep, but it'll be 5 years until we can possibly win one.

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #268 on: December 12, 2009, 12:51:52 am »
Simple question Paul, Why ? What have we done to deserve it ?

Havn't won the title in 20 years.
I think we get more grief because the others have won the title, wheras we get no credit regardless because we havn't done it for so long.

So if Man Utd / Chelsea beat Real Madrid away, they were brilliant. If Liverpool do it, they were either lucky or Real were awful.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:54:29 am by Paul JH »
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: December 12, 2009, 12:54:49 am »
In 66 Liverpool was not in second division...
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: December 12, 2009, 12:57:51 am »
I think we get more grief because the others have won the title, wheras we get no credit regardless because we havn't done it for so long.
Tis an interesting point of view that. Also, this season marks almost exactly "half my lifetime" since we last won it. Thank fuck for the first 20 years of my life! I do feel for our younger fans who don't know what it feels like - you will one day!

Oh and just been watching ESPN Classic, review of the season when Blackburn won it - fucking wanker commentator in the ManU v Ipswich game - "9-0........a top flight record". TWUNT! We did it to Palace - but then again, and hereby I use biting sarcasm, "football" didn't start until 1992 did it........ :wanker

Offline Gainsbarre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #271 on: December 12, 2009, 12:58:24 am »
oH and who is that lad Klizman? Which team has he coached? American cu*ts...  ::) ::)
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists," Hicks said. "It absolutely had an impact on them."

Offline The Bill Hicks Appreciation Society

• It's not much I know, but this is the best Barney could come up with at short notice. Too tight to buy his own cross-dressing gear. AKA 'Condomhead'. Has apparently had Elton John.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Lest we forget
    • Check out my RedmenTV Blogs
« Reply #272 on: December 12, 2009, 01:02:14 am »
Yep, Shanks was before my time, but then is it a fair comparison when we were 2nd div when he took over?

I'd say it was a fair comparison, if we judge them equally and we're not allowed to count Rafa's previous achievements then surely the same should apply for Shankly too? So we if we're being fair then we judge Shankly from 1966 and his championship winning team. That's his starting point as far as I'm concerned, but the man broke up that team and eventually built another equally successful team because that's what the best managers are capable of. I'm not sure what more Rafa has to do to prove himself as a special manager, he's won everything in the game there is to win, apart from the league, he's got unfancied teams promoted to La Liga, and made another unfancied team champions twice in three seasons. He won the Champions League in his first season with us and got criticised for not taking the FA Cup seriously, responding to that by winning it the following season.

We have a manager that given time will build a winning side again, but he needs to the time because he certainly doesn't have the money.
Please take a look at my latest blog for theredmentv "Dispelling the Rodgers/Martinez myth" http://www.theredmentv.com/blog/p/263 All other blogs can be read at www.theredmentv.com/blog Let me know your thoughts

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #273 on: December 12, 2009, 01:04:06 am »
Havn't won the title in 20 years.
I think we get more grief because the others have won the title, wheras we get no credit because we havn't done it for so long.

I'd put it down to the success through the 70's/80's if I thought there was any truth in it.  The current crop of media 'experts' don't forget are what, age wise?  Most are in their 40's.

Well given their age what was football like in their formative yrs?  It was dominated by Liverpool when they were teens.  And there's no more unforgiving environment than the high school corridor when your team is being pished all over on a regular basis by a bunch of scouse upstarts, smack bang in the middle of mad Maggie's revolution.  Esp if you grew up in London or Manchester.

Now is the time of their revenge.  And today they enjoy outlets such as sky so their crap isn't simply confined to the back pages of their newspapers.  Now it interrupts our bacon omelettes of a Sunday morning, because sky has determined that these useless nameless tossers deserve some air time.

And we all play the game by subscribing to sky and by watching every Sunday.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #274 on: December 12, 2009, 01:05:57 am »
I'm not sure what more Rafa has to do to prove himself as a special manager, he's won everything in the game there is to win, apart from the league.....
That's a bloody good point, sir, and sadly the one big stick that the GloryHunters(TM) beat him with, the fickle bastards.....

Offline theboyspen

• Winner of 2009's "First to give up on the Premier League" prize, 10.58pm, Sunday 2nd August 2009
  • Legacy Fan
  • "He made the people happy."
« Reply #275 on: December 12, 2009, 01:06:44 am »
The Media love stirring things up, especially before a big game like Sunday's! They know it'll provoke a reaction and at the moment LFC/Rafa's easy prey. Glad to see him playing them at their own game though (the unfazed look and constant 'quotes' that it will all sort itself out!) I think it messes with their heads that Liverpool supporters don't follow the prototype footy fan of calling for the Manager's head after a dissapointing campaign. I think Rafa could consider himself 'The UNlucky General of Europe' when you look back at the 3 very late goals conceded in the CL.
"The socialism I believe in is not really politics; it is humanity, a way of living and sharing the rewards."
"Red is my colour. I'll play for Liverpool as long as they will have me. I don't want to play for anybody else and when I pull off the red shirt for the last time I expect I will finish with football, at any rate as a player."McKinlay 1923

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: December 12, 2009, 01:11:22 am »
I'm not sure what more Rafa has to do to prove himself as a special manager, he's won everything in the game there is to win, apart from the league, he's got unfancied teams promoted to La Liga, and made another unfancied team champions twice in three seasons. He won the Champions League in his first season with us and got criticised for not taking the FA Cup seriously, responding to that by winning it the following season.

We have a manager that given time will build a winning side again, but he needs to the time because he certainly doesn't have the money.

Agree totally with your last sentence.  My frustraton relates to the fact he plays 'too safe' and never seems to 'release the shackles' from the team.  This will no doubt be reinforced by his choice of team Sunday where it will be designed to 'stifle' Arsenal, as opposed to just going for it.

And he may well be successful and manage a victory and then posts galore will apear on here about how we're 'back' etc. 

When in reality Arsenal were there for the taking and instead of playing safe for a 1-0 win we should be going for it and tonking them.

Anyway, Sunday will tell.  I'd prob take a 1-0 jammy win right now.

Offline Red_Isle_Chap

• Hairy Fool
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blimey!
« Reply #277 on: December 12, 2009, 01:19:08 am »
My initial "well in rafa" was in reading the quotes. Having now watched the interview I have to say that I think Rafa set the question up before hand. Notice all the journo's there laughing when he said he turns off the sound on sky?
And when you find yourself along the untrodden path
Remember me with a smile, a drink, a gesture or a laugh
And a toast for the man who loves every hour of every day
And a feast for the friends and faces met along way
Gratitude

Offline the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #278 on: December 12, 2009, 01:22:29 am »
Every fan of every club believes the media is against them, and most of the time as a fan you learn to just fucking ignore the drivel they write. We never got the credit for dominating European Football from the late Seventies onward in the English media, I wasn't that arsed as it never damaged the club and to be honest I liked the fact that they always thought the party was over and we kept on steamrollering all their pretenders to our throne.

But this is different, whether you think Benitez is great or shite, it's becoming obvious there is an agenda against him by sections of the media, It's almost like the campaigns they run against England managers trying to ridicule his every decision and making out he's a figure of fun who's decisions are so bad he shouldn't be taking seriously.

This is against the background of all the ownership troubles, when the club is fianancially unstable and the last thing we need as a club is the media telling us what is wrong with us because the likes of the Mersons,  the Charlie Nicholas's and the Collymores would piss themselves laughing if we imploded. It's unfortunate when ex players and heroes like souness and whelan also feel the need to go along with this agenda. Maybe they have their own agenda, Whelan's Hicks's lads mate and Souness could do with distracting people from his appalling managerial record for Liverpool.

Look at all the ex-managers bar Souness, what do you hear, fuck all, dignified silence. Phil Thompson at the heart of Sky manages never to be part of putting the boot in. Ex Man U players know the score, if it's good enough for them it's good enough for us.

Souness's comments weren't the worst I've heard him come out with but putting Klinsmann on the programme and you don't have to be a genius to work out what's going on. If his comments weren't that bad, Benitez reply's hardly excessive when Sky are parading his potential sucsessor commenting on his team's performance. Classy that. I always liked Klinnsman but commenting on liverpool, a job no self-respecting person should take after what's gone on with him and Gillette, Sky never picked him for his football analysis, the sneaky, backstabbing blert.

Maybe Benitez should keep quiet but just imagine what Alex Fergueson's reaction would be if Sky showed a tenth of the disrespect they show to our manager, never mind that old whisky soak, imagine they did it to Harry or Fat Sam or Brucey or Curbs, never mind a classy sarcastic comeback, they'd throw their toys right out of the pram and they'd be right to do so. I don't think Rafa's perfect, he makes mistakes, one I can't fathom is why he's so nice to the Bastards. Shankly, Paisley or Dalglish would of told them to do one, in no uncertain terms a long time ago. Rafa's a freehit to these slimey media whores.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 01:36:31 am by The 92A »
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
« Reply #279 on: December 12, 2009, 01:25:09 am »
I'd put it down to the success through the 70's/80's if I thought there was any truth in it. 

Any truth in it? Thanks for the instant dismissal! ;) (and isn't that in essence what I said anyway?)

I genuinely think we get more criticism, and you see it year in year out, because we are a big club that hasn't won the title for so long. I think the media, Sky, whomever, tend to pile it on with us because of it. If we were champions, and we beat Madrid / Inter / Barca away, it would be the mark of champions etc etc. But because we've gone so long without a title win, we get met with accusations of luck, the other team were awful, and the result isn't looked upon as anything more than that. Even an aberration at times.

Wheras if we'd won the title 3 out the last 5 years, it would be seen as a sign of being a great side.
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.