Author Topic: Match Preview: UCL Final Real Madrid v Liverpool [26 May 2018, KO 19:45 GMT]  (Read 292785 times)

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
3. How generally happy & relaxed are the players. I heard VVD laughing and having fun while in the middle of the 5v2 keep-away.
I've noticed this too, not just in the video but everywhere. Lovren and Mane were great in the presser, and all the players are saying the right things. Their trip to Marbella seemed a great call. After a hectic few weeks they were able to get a bit of down-time as well as train. Dressing room is as healthy as I've ever seen a Liverpool team and you really get the feeling that they're all just enjoying this.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
Bobby looks very very sharp. Look at how deliberate and precise he is with his movement. He really want this.

Firmino at times come across as care-free which some people mistake for being unfocused. He has incredible skill and vision and I think he will raise his game for the final. He is a very under-rated player and I think RM will be focusing on Salah and possibly Mane; if so then that will let Bobby do his stuff. For me the great thing is that RM will not have played against our front 3 before and they won't know how to deal with them.
#JFT97

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
Firmino at times come across as care-free which some people mistake for being unfocused. He has incredible skill and vision and I think he will raise his game for the final. He is a very under-rated player and I think RM will be focusing on Salah and possibly Mane; if so then that will let Bobby do his stuff. For me the great thing is that RM will not have played against our front 3 before and they won't know how to deal with them.

Agreed on all counts, but even if they had played against our front three prior to this upcoming match they still would not know how to deal with them. The pace, the movement, the speed, the interchangeability, the pace, the sharpness, the pace.... did I mention the pace?

Yeah our lads will be sharp and ready for this.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Well anyone who watched the bayern game will have seen a madrid team that gives up lots of chances.On another day we would be playing bayern in the final.If muller and lewandowski had taken half the chances on offer then madrid were done for.My dream would be for Mane to score the winner.Hes had a very strange season so far,brilliant at times and then so wasteful.Im not sure if hes struggling on a personal level with Mos incredible season but he definitely seems to be over thinking it atm.Hes missed more than hes scored and a lot of the chances were easy ones.Think hes another player to grow into world class territory next season if he just believes in himself again like he did last year when he was banging them in for fun.

Offline Elisha S

• talkin' 'bout my g-g-generation...
  • Anny Roader

Why would you even mention it then?  That’s an odd statement to make...
[/quote]

He`s actually telling us he does think Liverpool are one of the weaker teams.

Good. He really doesn`t see us coming.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Well anyone who watched the bayern game will have seen a madrid team that gives up lots of chances.On another day we would be playing bayern in the final.If muller and lewandowski had taken half the chances on offer then madrid were done for.My dream would be for Mane to score the winner.Hes had a very strange season so far,brilliant at times and then so wasteful.Im not sure if hes struggling on a personal level with Mos incredible season but he definitely seems to be over thinking it atm.Hes missed more than hes scored and a lot of the chances were easy ones.Think hes another player to grow into world class territory next season if he just believes in himself again like he did last year when he was banging them in for fun.
I agree he has missed some really good chances but I don’t think it’s quite been as hit and miss a season as some. He was sent off then injured and no doubt he did take a while to get back to his best, but I think the last couple of months he’s looked really sharp (again barring the odd miss). I think he’s actually scored more than he did last season, it just doesn’t perhaps feel he’s making as much impact because of what Salah has done.
The best thing is anyone of our front 3 could be the key, the match winner they’re all that good and that type of player and I’m really looking forward to Saturday night and watching them bring home number 6.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
I dunno about anyone else but today marks the day my head officially fell off over the final. I’ve got tomorrow off, then two proper shifts, then I’m at Old Trafford of all places on Friday for a conference, then back home to Liverpool afterwards to try and get a few hours of kip before waking up, bacon sarnie/lemo on my cornflakes, hard liquor before lunchtime, I don’t even know. I can’t think about anything except us winning the bastard thing. Honestly don’t know how I’m getting anything done over the next few days. Up the reds.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan

Madrid has every right to be confident, we are the under dogs, there is every chance our team freezes or simply falls apart on the night, I hope the players on our side are prepared for the toughest game they will ever okay in because Saturday is the pinnacle of their careers for many of them.

However good we think we are we have to prove it on Saturday

Offline iAnfieldRoad

• Legacy Fan
  • JUSTICE IS COMING
What we will see on Saturday at some point will be Madrid trying all the dirty tricks in the book to win the game.They will be that desperate that they will try everything but if we keep our cool,dont get dragged into a bitchfest then we are more than capable of beating them and beating them well.Allez Allez Allez
Justice for the 97
You`ll never walk alone

Offline ANFIELDGATES

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
I agree he has missed some really good chances but I don’t think it’s quite been as hit and miss a season as some. He was sent off then injured and no doubt he did take a while to get back to his best, but I think the last couple of months he’s looked really sharp (again barring the odd miss). I think he’s actually scored more than he did last season, it just doesn’t perhaps feel he’s making as much impact because of what Salah has done.
The best thing is anyone of our front 3 could be the key, the match winner they’re all that good and that type of player and I’m really looking forward to Saturday night and watching them bring home number 6.
you could be right,i just feel Mane isnt that far off Mo and thats something to look foreard to next season, The Mane and Mo Show!!

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
Madrid has every right to be confident, we are the under dogs, there is every chance our team freezes or simply falls apart on the night, I hope the players on our side are prepared for the toughest game they will ever okay in because Saturday is the pinnacle of their careers for many of them.

The main (only) thing they have over us is the experience of having been there and done it on more than one occasion. While I don’t think that should be under estimated, I’m fairly sure it won’t be by the team. I don’t think there’s every chance we freeze, there’s “a” chance but over 90 minutes I would expect the players to rise to the occasion based on what I’ve seen this season and more than do themselves justice. And while it may be the pinnacle at this point for most of them I think it’s just the beginning of being involved in these types of games on a more regular basis.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
The referee's role cannot be underestimated. I personally am more worried about him freezing and giving a freak penalty against us or being overwhelmed by the occasion than of our players not being up for it.

Real's propensity to nudge decisions in their favour (ie. cheat) by tried and tested bully-boy tactics is the main worry for me. Ronaldo going down like a sack of King Eddies, or Ramos being given the benefit of the doubt at the other end of the park.

Hope Klopp or one of our entourage mentions this at a press conference in the next few days. Not that we will mind. We don't do that sort of thing. Even still, it might be worth telling the officials that their decisions won't go unnoticed.

At least we should try to level up the playing field against a club with loads of previous.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

We often do better as the underdogs, hopefully that's true on Saturday.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
I dunno about anyone else but today marks the day my head officially fell off over the final. I’ve got tomorrow off, then two proper shifts, then I’m at Old Trafford of all places on Friday for a conference, then back home to Liverpool afterwards to try and get a few hours of kip before waking up, bacon sarnie/lemo on my cornflakes, hard liquor before lunchtime, I don’t even know. I can’t think about anything except us winning the bastard thing. Honestly don’t know how I’m getting anything done over the next few days. Up the reds.
So, with working on the previews and the whole stats side has been all-consuming. It's a LOT of work. So I've been quite detached from the emotion of the occasion. I know that makes no sense when I have been writing about that very emotion - but that is a working process rather than anything that actually impacts me, if you know what I mean? It's something I learned quickly as a translator when working on things I care about to focus on the words, the language, rather than how I feel about it. I also avoided reading or watching much in the build up to the final. I haven't read much on this page because Eoin is the git who gets me amped up every time. Just an absolutely fantastic writer. So I ignored his stuff all week.

Then I watched the press conference today and was in tears by the end of Klopps. Can't explain it. Happy tears? Relief? I think I never thought I would see us here again during H&G / Hodgson. When Klopp came in I was careful not to set targets as he is my favourite manager in football bar Rafa. I didn't set targets then he couldn't fail. I just wanted to enjoy the ride, enjoy football again. I figured whatever little (or big) success would be a by-product of him just being very good at his job and getting us playing again. Plus the competition is outrageous now, 6 rich teams with top tier coaches battling for 4 spots just to get into the bloody thing. Insane.

Proper tears here. We've done well this season and we just have one more hurdle. A big fucking hurdle of course but the size is irrelevant when your aim it to tear right through it leaving it a twisted and broken piece of metal in your wake.

Anyway, highly recommend Klopp's presser today. He has a look in his eyes... I dunno, he looks ready. He said something today along the lines of "Let's go there and try to perform on a level that people believe isn't possible for us. But it is possible". That started me off. There is so many ways to interpret that but, to my ears, he is talking about that Red Hurricane. To play at a speed & intensity that nobody is ready for. Then he answered a question about the fans from Redmen TV (I think) and I was done. He takes a little pause before answering too - maybe he is emotional about it himself, maybe choosing his words and said the biggest change since he arrived is now "how much people like the actual team".

Again, worth a watch. The emotion of the occasion has final hit me. I'm not nervous or anything like that. Just happy, proud, excited. I have no idea how the game will pan out on Saturday, I think we are going to tear into them, but what I do know is this pride and excitement will remain. What a team. It's only going to get better too. Wow!
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
To me the team has surpassed all expectations getting into the final.

Even the most optimistic among us never expected it even though we kept faith.

Don’t care if we are underdogs or favourites. We will score which means we will always have the chance to win. Madrid never had teams pressing them like we did, not since Giardiola’s Barcelona, which was a long time ago. And they have never coped well with it because frankly, why would they need to worry about it with most team in Spain being significantly weaker?

Heart says we will win, head also says we will win this time.

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
Everyone knows who will start if the 11 guys are fit, but what would the bench then be?

Mignolet
Clyne
Klavan
Moreno
Can
Lallana
Solanke or Ings

Wonder who'd get the final slot there. I don't fancy Ings on such an occasion at all, whereas Solanke at least has the physique to come in and disturb them.

Agree re Solanke/Ings. The latter has done brilliantly to come back from some dreadful injuries and by all accounts is a really good guy but whenever he's played this season he's been deeply unconvincing for me. The only thing going for him vs Solanke is that maybe he'd be more comfortable playing on the flanks but I think you can stick Solanke up top and chop and change around him if need be.

For what it is worth (if anything) Solanke has scored all 6 of the penalties he's taken in 'competitive' football whereas Ings has missed 2 of the 5 he's taken. Not that it'll go to pens of course  8)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
4 more modafookin sleeps

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline indianscouser

• Kopite
Having fully watched last years final, I certainly think that luck will play a huge huge part in this match. Real were utterly shite in the first half and continued being so until the second deflected goal via Khedira killed all the resistance and planning that Juventus had. I have an inkling that karma is on our side this time.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan

This.

Read on a RMCF forum that Zidane showed his players the video of our 2005 win to show them what happens when you are complacent against us. 

No way Madrid don't bring their best, so we have to win it, they're not going overconfidence themselves out of it. 

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
We just have to play our best game and see how far it gets us. There are going to be a lot of mind games before kickoff from Madrid.

If we can resist the mind games taking the sting out of our early blitz, we'll be in with a good chance.

For me the most important thing is to keep it going for 90 minutes. We've gotta start well, because that's usually our best part of any given 90. Then we have to stay strong and weather the storm when they throw the kitchen sink at us, because it's gonna be a helluva kitchen sink.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
Having fully watched last years final, I certainly think that luck will play a huge huge part in this match. Real were utterly shite in the first half and continued being so until the second deflected goal via Khedira killed all the resistance and planning that Juventus had. I have an inkling that karma is on our side this time.

Didn't their win before that come after being 1-0 down in the 94th minute and Ramos equalised with a header to go into extra time against Atletico?

I think Atletico deserve one summer where they win something and Real win fuck all. Let's to this for Atletico! :D
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Desert Red Fox

• Legacy Fan
  • Orange and Red!
Didn't their win before that come after being 1-0 down in the 94th minute and Ramos equalised with a header to go into extra time against Atletico?

That was the 2013-14 Final. Atlético then absolutely collapsed (physically and emotionally) in extra time and ended up losing 4-1.

"At least" in 2015-16 they managed to reach the penalty shootout (though they fucked that up too :P)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 05:24:30 am by Desert Red Fox »

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's really hard work having to go to work this week.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline Gladbach73

• Anny Roader
Right, went to the Merseyside Branch meeting last night, hosted by the Anfield Wrap. Preview and discussion about Saturday's game. Really good night, but what came out is the immense pride we now feel in our team, a togetherness that hasn't been there since long before the two cowboys came. Anyway a couple of extra omens came out that might be worth repeating here.

1. Eintracht Franfurt won the German Cup last weekend, the last time was 1981, the same year we beat Madrid in Paris.
2. European Cup winners - 1958 Real Madrid, 1968 Man Utd, 1978 Liverpool. Compare with 1998 Real Madrid, 2008 Man Utd and 2018 Us??? Clear pattern.
3. Last time (like this season) an English, Spanish, German and Italy Club made up the last four in the Champions League/ European Cup was 1981.
4. Obvious Royal Wedding in 1981 and 2018.

My heads blown, this is really happening, can't wait to get over to Kiev, sing me heart out and witness victory.

"If Everton were playing in my back garden, I'd close the curtains"

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
Stumbled across some videos last night from the end of the 13/14 season, and those heartbreaking scenes against Crystal Palace & Chelsea. Really brought the pain and emotion back. How fucking unlucky we were, and how tragic the ending to that season was.

We are hugely owed some favourable fortune from the footballing gods. As is Jurgen, considering his recent record in finals. Saturday would go some way to healing the wounds of that season.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
Everywhere I read and everyone I talk to has Liverpool as big favourites
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline davelast

• Kemlynite
  • One Club-One Passion-One Heart
What a feeling this is!

Absolutely clueless as to how I'll survive these next 4 days, 12 hours and change. Tick, tock, tick, tock....

In 2005, I was 14 years old, confined to watching the drama unfold at home, while my dad was there. Witnessing history being made in the Atatürk Stadium. Now, 13 years later, I get to travel to a far foreign land, and watch how an army of reds will invade this former soviet city. There are many comparisons, which can be made to that fateful night in Istanbul. A Liverpool side, that on paper, looks like its second class to the opponent at hand. A general vibe of us being out of our depth. A controversial goal (or non-goal) that helped us along the way... But as for the bad, there is this whispering sound of belief among reds everywhere. There might be hesitation, but by god, I know each and everyone of us, believes that this team can give the mighty Real Madrid a game. And that's what it will come down to.

Showing up. This group of young and talented lads, just has to fucking show up. We cannot approach this tie with fear, fear of this opponent composed of luxury mercenaries. We're the most prolific goal scoring side in the competition. The mighty James Milner, topping the assists table. They laughed at us, when we signed him from the Mancs. But look at him now, 32 years young, leaving everything out there, every time he puts on that famous shirt. There's not much more to say about the front three, but watching them play, is like going to the opera. A perfectly choreographed symphony of cohesion, understanding and synchronicity.

For the 'new generation' of reds - that I count myself to - these past 10 years have been a test. A test of will and passion. Watching Chelsea lift the champions league, Abu Dhabi FC spending a quadrillion pounds on useless defenders and the Mancs winning everything. Now, it is our time again. On the center court, on the world stage. Thousands of reds will now commence their pilgrimage. We will descend on Kiev, there will be flags and banners plastered across the city. Everything to give our lads that little bit more, that split second, which can make the difference.

Last but definitely not least, remember to enjoy it. Who knows when the next such night will come our way.

Sing your hearts out and lets show these glory stricken bunch of plastic flag waving tourists how its done.

Up the reds!

Tick, tock, tick, tock...
Show them the way to go home. They're tired and they want to go to bed Cos they're only half a football team. Compared to the boys in Red. YNWA

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It's really hard work having to go to work this week.

I'm off this week but I bet I wouldn't be doing much work anyway!

Offline Samio

• Displeased Hermaphrodite
  • Legacy Fan
I really hope we don't play within ourselves during the first half like we have on some occasions this season!

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I really hope we don't play within ourselves during the first half like we have on some occasions this season!

Klopp will have been very clear with the players to not do that.

Offline Gerrard#1

• Playing goalie would combat his decreasing mobility, and vastly improve distribution at the back. Somebody's watching me.....
  • Legacy Fan
How do Real play? Spanish teams don't tend to sit back. I've noticed they used a 4312 against Bayern and Juventus. (Although in the first Bayern game they played a 4141) I see Salah being a problem for Marcelo who seems to plays as a LM for the most part.

I don't see why the team closing in on 4 CL titles in 5 years would be underestimated so severely
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 07:52:55 am by Gerrard#1 »
Quote from: jillc
If you ask Gerrard #1 he'll probably be able to tell us who we're getting. I hear he is good with the crystal ball.

Quote from: Gerrard#1
Coutinho is our best player he will be world class one day and will end up playing for Barca or Real.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"

You must be reading some pretty obscure ones then, as most I've seen are making RM strong favourites.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Good news insomniacs - only one more sleep til kick off! :D
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Jamesy

• Anny Roader
  • Auld Arse
4 days to go. Shit is getting real.

We are going to win this.
I've got your name written here in a rose tattoo.

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
Boggles my mind how bad journo's are with their questions in pressers. I mean any smart journo with his head on right, could have at least queried Mane or Klopp about fasting and whether both Salah and Mane will go through with it during the day of the final?

It has to be a concern. Not eating or drinking in the lead-up could make a whole lot of difference. The smallest margins will matter in the final and the potential of both Salah & Mane operating at 50% is a bit of a worry.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 09:05:10 am by Pradan »

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Boggles my mind how bad journo's are with their questions in pressers. I mean any smart journo with his head on right, could have at least queried Mane or Klopp about fasting and whether both Salah and Mane will go through on it during the day of the final?

It has to be a concern. Not eating or drinking in the lead-up could make a whole lot of difference. The smallest margins will matter in the final and the potential of both Salah & Mane operating at 50% is a bit of a worry.

It's not a concern at all, either they'll postpone the fasting or it'll be managed to have as little an impact as possible. Can people stop panicking over it already?

Offline Pradan

• Makes RAWK a grim place. Sarcastic besserwisser. Would certainly pick a fight with himself in an empty room.
  • Legacy Fan
It's not a concern at all, either they'll postpone the fasting or it'll be managed to have as little an impact as possible. Can people stop panicking over it already?

Let me worry, thanks. That's how i usually work best :D

Offline Chip Evans

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The articles coming out of Madrid are nuts. Keep making us even bigger underdogs, and behave less pragmatically - fools.

Not even nervous anymore, just would love to give them a hiding now.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
Let me worry, thanks. That's how i usually work best :D

Aye probably best to keep this particularly one to yourself though since it detracts from the actual game and you have literally no idea how it works with athletes in general :)
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.