Author Topic: PL: Fulham 2 v Liverpool 2 Mitrovich 33' 72' (p) Darwin 64' Salah 81'  (Read 35054 times)

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
Re: PL: Fulham 2 v Liverpool 2 Mitrovich 33' 72' (p) Darwin 64' Salah 81'
« Reply #480 on: August 6, 2022, 05:09:20 pm »
Thought the midfield looked old and stale.

Looked better with Elliott and Carvalho

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #481 on: August 6, 2022, 05:11:28 pm »
Unacceptable result. Performances like this is why we won't win another league tile while having the best squad in the league.

But it's not very likely that there'll be too many more performances like this throughout the next 37 matches. I'd say we have a shot.
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: August 6, 2022, 05:13:20 pm »
Not great performance, i'm o.k with a point.Positve from Darwin,Mo when he got going in the second half.The lads off the bench.Not gonna piss and moan about anything else,to hot.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: August 6, 2022, 05:13:23 pm »
Our success or lack of it this season will depend almost entirely on injuries and fitness and to which players. Every other variable is probably going to be fairly predictable.

Depends how much better the rest of the top  6 get as to whether we finish 1st, 2nd or 7th etc.

Offline johnny74

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #484 on: August 6, 2022, 05:14:49 pm »
Not great performance, i'm o.k with a point.Positve from Darwin,Mo when he got going in the second half.The lads off the bench.Not gonna piss and moan about anything else,to hot.

Not sure how you can be happy with a point in any game least of all this one given how good the other sides could be this season.

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #485 on: August 6, 2022, 05:17:02 pm »
But it's not very likely that there'll be too many more performances like this throughout the next 37 matches. I'd say we have a shot.

Not based on this performance. Even United will beat them easily.

We do have a shot but we should be ripping apart these teams like City will.
True North Strong

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #486 on: August 6, 2022, 05:20:16 pm »
Another match where the opposition came flying out at us from the off and pressed hard.

Very true

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #487 on: August 6, 2022, 05:21:32 pm »
Not based on this performance. Even United will beat them easily.

We do have a shot but we should be ripping apart these teams like City will.
We don't really rip a lot of teams apart like city do but we usually get the job done.
Midfield has been and is a worry. We need fresh blood in there, a strong box to box type , who doesn't get injured and will chip in with goals.

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #488 on: August 6, 2022, 05:25:11 pm »
Bobby was non-existent and we were a lot better when Darwin came on. It's hard to create anything when the centre point of your attack is so blunt.

I think things changed when we started to play in triangles down the wing, especially involving Salah. We could then draw out their defence and also get to the byline where we could put in crosses. Having a tall player like Nunez who is good in the air gave us an option.

We have technically good players but we didn’t use them enough. Fulham were delighted to play in the middle of the park but were vulnerable out wide. Teams like Fulham like to play narrow and pack their midfield and their box. They don’t like sending players out wide to cut out our wide players.

There was only going to be one winner when we scored our first until the ref gave them a soft penalty which was difficult to see why. A clash of knees is as much the attackers fault.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2022, 05:28:57 pm by stockdam »
#JFT97

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #489 on: August 6, 2022, 05:27:13 pm »
We don't really rip a lot of teams apart like city do but we usually get the job done.
Midfield has been and is a worry. We need fresh blood in there, a strong box to box type , who doesn't get injured and will chip in with goals.

Why not? Is it on coaching?

We do have man for man atleast on par squad with City or even better in my opinion now.

True North Strong

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #490 on: August 6, 2022, 05:30:00 pm »

We do have man for man atleast on par squad with City or even better in my opinion now.

Just completely different styles of play.  City circulate the ball non-stop and hold on to it until they see an opening to play someone in.  Lots of tricky, technical players.

We're much more direct and use our fullbacks differently.  Loads more long balls from our centre backs, looking for our speed over the top.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #491 on: August 6, 2022, 05:34:46 pm »
Yeah that’s a shite result. Lack of depth in midfield is a real worry.

Credit to Fulham though. First half they looked up for it and we didnt

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: August 6, 2022, 05:36:25 pm »
I think things changed when we started to play in triangles down the wing, especially involving Salah. We could then draw out their defence and also get to the byline where we could put in crosses. Having a tall player like Nunez who is good in the air gave us an option.

We have technically good players but we didn’t use them enough. Fulham were delighted to play in the middle of the park but were vulnerable out wide. Teams like Fulham like to play narrow and pack their midfield and their box. They don’t like sending players out wide to cut out our wide players.

There was only going to be one winner when we scored our first until the ref gave them a soft penalty which was difficult to see why. A clash of knees is as much the attackers fault.

I agree. They were rocking until that point.  Looked all at sea.  The penalty changed the game.

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #493 on: August 6, 2022, 05:37:27 pm »
Just completely different styles of play.  City circulate the ball non-stop and hold on to it until they see an opening to play someone in.  Lots of tricky, technical players.

We're much more direct and use our fullbacks differently.  Loads more long balls from our centre backs, looking for our speed over the top.

Why can't we play a similar style? They do win more titles and game than us?

For me it seems like a coaching limitation and Pep just doing things better. We don't lack technical players.
True North Strong

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #494 on: August 6, 2022, 05:38:24 pm »

For me it seems like a coaching limitation and Pep just doing things better. We don't lack technical players.

Them having spent a fuckton of money over the past 10 years or so might have something to do with it.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline harryc

• ane ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live in a Red and a White Kop
« Reply #495 on: August 6, 2022, 05:38:47 pm »

🤮

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: August 6, 2022, 05:39:19 pm »

Our midfield is nowhere near theirs in terms of quality. Our attack dragged us over the live so many times last season while Alisson and the CBs performed miracles to keep scores usually <2. But Bernardo, Rodri, Gundogan are all a step up in class on everyone perhaps bar Thiago and Fab (who is looking a bit slow this year?). They can dominate and slow the game down in a way we’ve not really managed since 2020. We’re frantic.

Offline Caligula?

• Relentlessly negative about fucking everything. A smile would crack your face.....the most boring poster on the site
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #497 on: August 6, 2022, 05:39:52 pm »
Well, that was shite. Klopp questioned their attitude but a few players didn't really look fit. Virgil in particular was taken to the cleaners by Mitrovic of all people a few times today. The midfield was shocking. Onwards and upwards I suppose.

I read somewhere that if we were to need 95 points to win the league this season, we've already dropped 10% of the points that we'd be allowed to drop to reach that number.

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #498 on: August 6, 2022, 05:41:59 pm »
Our midfield is nowhere near theirs in terms of quality. Our attack dragged us over the live so many times last season while Alisson and the CBs performed miracles to keep scores usually <2. But Bernardo, Rodri, Gundogan are all a step up in class on everyone perhaps bar Thiago and Fab (who is looking a bit slow this year?). They can dominate and slow the game down in a way we’ve not really managed since 2020. We’re frantic.

So we know the weakness and why not recruit a top class MF if thats the problem? I mean we did spend a lot of money on a forward.

We just shrug coz Touchemani signed for Madrid and now we are lacking again for a season?
True North Strong

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: August 6, 2022, 05:42:42 pm »
Well, that was shite. Klopp questioned their attitude but a few players didn't really look fit. Virgil in particular was taken to the cleaners by Mitrovic of all people a few times today. The midfield was shocking. Onwards and upwards I suppose.

I read somewhere that if we were to need 95 points to win the league this season, we've already dropped 10% of the points that we'd be allowed to drop to reach that number.

I don’t blame Virgil so much, if someone has a free run into the box that can happen. The situation happening in the first place is problematic.

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #500 on: August 6, 2022, 05:44:29 pm »
So we know the weakness and why not recruit a top class MF if thats the problem? I mean we did spend a lot of money on a forward.

We just shrug coz Touchemani signed for Madrid and now we are lacking again for a season?

I don’t know the answer to that other than we wait for the right player and just have done that the last few years, taking a massive risk in January 2021 on not signing a proper CB. Or Klopp feels like he can get more out of the same players with Nunez and Elliot playing more?

Offline CowboyKangaroo

• aka WayneSkippy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: August 6, 2022, 05:51:44 pm »

Well that's nonsense. Two of the best three midfielders in the league play for us. Midfield is certainly the easiest position on the pitch for us to upgrade (because of that third player), but the idea that our midfield isn't still brilliant is nonsensical. They have a better midfield overall, but it is "nowhere near theirs"
shut up clown. Naby Keita can buy your life and throw it away.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #502 on: August 6, 2022, 05:52:14 pm »

It’s absolutely mental expecting this group of midfielders to play 60 odd games a season without any reinforcements in there or expecting those who are fit not to run themselves into the ground. Chamberlain, keita, and Thiago are all sick notes and will pick up injuries and miss large chunks of the season.

You’ve got Henderson and Fabinho who are both best off at the base of the midfield and you’ve got young James Milner there. After that we’ve got young players with potential in jones, Elliott and bajtecic all who are full of potential but will make mistakes and have off days and at this level we’re trying to compete at, I don’t think it’s unfair to say we need at least one more player in there.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #503 on: August 6, 2022, 05:52:14 pm »
No match now for another 9 days so plenty of time for Klopp & the coaching staff to get things right before we play Palace. Got to hope that match will be our worst performance of the season.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #504 on: August 6, 2022, 05:55:51 pm »
It’s absolutely mental expecting this group of midfielders to play 60 odd games a season without any reinforcements in there or expecting those who are fit not to run themselves into the ground. Chamberlain, keita, and Thiago are all sick notes and will pick up injuries and miss large chunks of the season.

You’ve got Henderson and Fabinho who are both best off at the base of the midfield and you’ve got young James Milner there. After that we’ve got young players with potential in jones, Elliott and bajtecic all who are full of potential but will make mistakes and have off days and at this level we’re trying to compete at, I don’t think it’s unfair to say we need at least one more player in there.

We have a squad and the likes of Elliot, Jones, and Carvalho need opportunities and they will get them. Klopp like to give young players a chance so let's see what they do, I actually find it  far more interesting seeing how these players develop then just going out and buying someone we haven't planned for.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #505 on: August 6, 2022, 05:56:23 pm »
A draw is a bad result against a team like Fulham if we're expecting to have to hit 90+ points again to take the league.

Really abject performance today, didn't look sharp in any area of the pitch. Coupled with playing an up for it newly promoted side away from home and you've got a recipe for disaster.

Thankfully Darwin & Mo rescued a point.

Silver lining is City lost to Spurs opening day of last season and went on to win. Very early days and all that...

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #506 on: August 6, 2022, 05:57:11 pm »

Because we don't have the same type of players.

Offline Dree

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: August 6, 2022, 05:57:46 pm »
Well that's nonsense. Two of the best three midfielders in the league play for us. Midfield is certainly the easiest position on the pitch for us to upgrade (because of that third player), but the idea that our midfield isn't still brilliant is nonsensical. They have a better midfield overall, but it is "nowhere near theirs"

Why did they win the league then? I don’t think anyone would argue that we’d comfortably take Alisson, our CBs, Trent, our front 3/4 from last season over any other players.

Offline stoj

• Main Stander
« Reply #508 on: August 6, 2022, 05:58:15 pm »
Sack the manager, garbage 😜

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #509 on: August 6, 2022, 06:01:18 pm »
Sack the manager, garbage 😜

Not sacking, but we can question the manager on this forum?

This was a poor performance and blame lies on the team and the person managing it.
True North Strong

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #510 on: August 6, 2022, 06:01:41 pm »

OMG, you are having a go at our coaches? You are unbelievable, also I don't want to play like City they bore me stupid.

Offline CalgarianRed

• Kopite
« Reply #511 on: August 6, 2022, 06:03:35 pm »
OMG, you are having a go at our coaches? You are unbelievable, also I don't want to play like City they bore me stupid.

So we can't question coaches on this forum? Is that what is it?

And I personally like how Pep's team play. But I guess a different view ain't acceptable on this forum either?
True North Strong

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #512 on: August 6, 2022, 06:04:34 pm »
Why did they win the league then? I don’t think anyone would argue that we’d comfortably take Alisson, our CBs, Trent, our front 3/4 from last season over any other players.
Salah missing a penalty against Leicester.

City win the league the same reason most teams do, they have an incredible amount of attacking talent. The way they play/use their full back means they can fit in Silva and De Bruyne as 'midfielders' but it's all about having quality in the final third which they bring and the way they play gets them in those positions. They've got someone like Mahrez who's be a standout at most teams playing rotation minutes
« Last Edit: August 6, 2022, 06:07:36 pm by Chris~ »

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: August 6, 2022, 06:05:12 pm »
So we can't question coaches on this forum? Is that what is it?

And I personally like how Pep's team play. But I guess a different view ain't acceptable on this forum either?

Get over yourself, you always seem to love City. You like watching them great, but we don't have the same players so its pointless playing the same way they do. We are set up for a different game and were you asking questions about our coaches the year we won the title and beat City?

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #514 on: August 6, 2022, 06:07:11 pm »
Wasn’t able to catch our game live so I’ve only just caught up on everything. Considering how we played last week have to say that was really surprising how flat and abject we looked. Thought we looked a lot better when Nunez and Elliot came in so wouldn’t be surprised if those two have played themselves into a starting role come the next game.

Injuries feel like they’re starting to pile up a bit like a couple of seasons ago so hopefully that trend doesn’t continue throughout the season.
« Last Edit: August 6, 2022, 06:10:05 pm by Rosario »

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: August 6, 2022, 06:09:42 pm »
We have a squad and the likes of Elliot, Jones, and Carvalho need opportunities and they will get them. Klopp like to give young players a chance so let's see what they do, I actually find it  far more interesting seeing how these players develop then just going out and buying someone we haven't planned for.

Carvalho wont see many minutes in midfield.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: August 6, 2022, 06:13:51 pm »
Carvalho wont see many minutes in midfield.

I am talking generally that they will get chances.

Offline marmite sw

• Main Stander
« Reply #517 on: August 6, 2022, 06:15:39 pm »
first game of the season and bedwetters everywhere its the first game it was a wierd first half but we've seen it before ... liverpool and man city will have teething problems if we are like this after a few games then i understand the bed wetting but after the first and a draw ...wow
im autistic and have dyslexia as well as being born deaf so if thats a problem then its your problem ... awaits the gramma nazis ......lfc supporter since 1976 watch every game and get up to liverpool as often as i can......

Offline Oskar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #518 on: August 6, 2022, 06:17:09 pm »

There's knee-jerk reactions to a bad result, then there's this.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #519 on: August 6, 2022, 06:17:13 pm »
We can't play like City because we don't have their conveyor belt funds. This isn't new. Back when Maureen was at Chelsea splashing money about we had Rafa and he also had to be creative and make do with what we had.

That's the reality and it's been like this for many years. Very few teams can afford to play fantasy football and with it the luxury of playing the way City play.

Not sure why Klopp of all people would be questioned on a day like today when the players were clearly not at the races, particularly in the 1st half.

It happens. 1st day of the season. Yes the margin for error is small, but there will still be plenty of twists and turns.