Author Topic: Adam Lallana  (Read 586748 times)

Offline Burnshard

• Main Stander
Adam Lallana
« on: May 6, 2016, 09:37:11 am »
The last few threads about him are locked so he is clearly a player who divides opinion but nobody can argue with his work-rate last night.

The lad was immense and deserves serious credit for it after the amount of stick I and others have thrown his way earlier in the season. To think that when he first signed, he wasn't trusted past 60 minutes and there was so much made about his inability or lack of fitness to play past 60 mins. He ran himself and Villarreal into the ground last night. Really impressed the way he has become the trigger man for the press, racing forward to close players at the right moment, it's rare he himself gets the ball back but the rushed pass he triggers leads to a chain in which eventually win the ball back high up the pitch. Really reminds me of Dirk Kuyt v2, less goals but more skillful.

The last area of his game he needs to work on is his finishing, got one last night so lets hope he can add some more. Really looking forward to how he gets on next season with a full pre-season under Klopp
« Last Edit: August 5, 2019, 08:31:11 am by Alan_X »

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Adam Lallana
« Reply #1 on: May 6, 2016, 09:50:17 am »
It suits him to have 3 players in the team more likely to score than him. Frees him up to affect every single play, as a pressing trigger or keeping possession in tight spaces. You look at Manchester City's multi million pound ensemble and there's Jesus Navas playing on the right wing for them. We have Lallana, a far superior player.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #2 on: May 6, 2016, 09:55:08 am »
Can't wait until Ibe takes his spot now Klopp is our manager.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline mc_red22

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: May 6, 2016, 10:00:21 am »
Can't wait until Ibe takes his spot now Klopp is our manager.

Ibe? He's been shocking all season.

Offline SwordInYourGut

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: May 6, 2016, 10:04:25 am »
Hook.Line....  :D

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #5 on: May 6, 2016, 10:06:21 am »
Sorry, I was being sarcastic, paraphrasing what some people were saying when Klopp took over. Yet Lallana has been a regular pick under Klopp and has been involved in most of our best performances this season.

Hook.Line....  :D
:-[   ;)
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Online Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: May 6, 2016, 10:10:38 am »
I was thinkingh this mornning how important he is in the big games due to his work ethic. Id completely forgot about his "firness issue"  He rarely played 90 mins for Southampton if i rememebr correctly. Whats the deal there, how come hes fit as a fiddle?
I understood he had a heart defect or something? Or did I dream that.

Anyway another good performance last night for sure. He'll deffo be here next year.
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #7 on: May 6, 2016, 10:16:20 am »
He's been consistently at this level pretty much all season.

He could post better numbers but he does so much off the ball and in terms of pinning the other team back that clearly its forgivable.

Between him Lovren and Clyne for our player of the year, not bad for a load of expensive shite from Southampton.

Offline cornelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn"
« Reply #8 on: May 6, 2016, 10:17:46 am »
Do you remember the days when people used to take the piss out of us for buying Southampton?

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #9 on: May 6, 2016, 10:17:53 am »
I was thinkingh this mornning how important he is in the big games due to his work ethic. Id completely forgot about his "firness issue"  He rarely played 90 mins for Southampton if i rememebr correctly. Whats the deal there, how come hes fit as a fiddle?
I understood he had a heart defect or something? Or did I dream that.

Anyway another good performance last night for sure. He'll deffo be here next year.
I’ve always thought the ‘fitness issue’ has been a bit of a red herring.

When you’re winning games you often look to replace your attacking players around the hour mark to maybe tighten things up a bit. If you’re losing you might replace an attacking player to put an alternative on or switch formations. I think Jay Rodriguez who played on the opposite side at Southampton was also substituted a lot around this time…..

Rafa used to do this to Benayoun all the time.
« Last Edit: May 6, 2016, 10:33:49 am by Funky_Gibbons »

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: May 6, 2016, 10:59:46 am »
Lallana is a difficult one. Like so many players, he's improved under Klopp. But does he do enough? Comparison, goals+assists in the league:

Firmino 9+8
Milner 5+11
Coutinho 8+6
Lallana 4+6

Lallana is doing alright, but his contribution is not spectacular. If we were to replace one of the above, who would it be? That may not sound necessary, but if we factor in Grujic (he will impact our midfield selection, one way or the other) and Markovic, I think Lallana's position could be under threat.

Would like to see what he could do with a full season under Klopp though. He should be the type of player who fits with our needs.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #11 on: May 6, 2016, 11:02:05 am »
Markovic is no threat to Lallana.

Lallana's biggest issue is his goal contribution and Markovic isnt even matching what Lallana is doing in those areas in a much worse league.

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #12 on: May 6, 2016, 11:07:25 am »
I reckon if you ask Jurgen, Zelko and big Pete which player do they trust the most, they will say one name. Adam Lallana. Says it all really. Klopp's primary concern isn't focused on numbers. First and foremost, he wants  players who get it. Numbers are secondary, although players in his system will improve, as we are seeing.

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: May 6, 2016, 11:07:39 am »
funny fish is Lallana...has great 10 minutes or so then goes missing for ten minutes or so you forget his playing and then has another great ten minutes or so

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: May 6, 2016, 11:28:03 am »
I reckon if you ask Jurgen, Zelko and big Pete which player do they trust the most, they will say one name. Adam Lallana. Says it all really. Klopp's primary concern isn't focused on numbers. First and foremost, he wants  players who get it. Numbers are secondary, although players in his system will improve, as we are seeing.

He's played more than most since Klopp has come in, says all you need to know about where the boss sees him in regards to importance.

There's still people posting stuff in here today questioning this very thing!

He's been one of our most consistant players for a while now.

People are still using his numbers to bash him with, but he's been helping other players post the numbers.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #15 on: May 6, 2016, 03:26:08 pm »
Reporter for Fox:

keith costigan ‏@KeithCostigan  6h6 hours ago
Klopp told me Lallana should not be unsung.  Said he could sing 10 songs about him.  Called him the team's hunter. First line of press

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #16 on: May 6, 2016, 03:35:45 pm »
Lallana is a difficult one. Like so many players, he's improved under Klopp. But does he do enough? Comparison, goals+assists in the league:

Firmino 9+8
Milner 5+11
Coutinho 8+6
Lallana 4+6

Lallana is doing alright, but his contribution is not spectacular. If we were to replace one of the above, who would it be? That may not sound necessary, but if we factor in Grujic (he will impact our midfield selection, one way or the other) and Markovic, I think Lallana's position could be under threat.

Would like to see what he could do with a full season under Klopp though. He should be the type of player who fits with our needs.

Lallana is the type of player who will always divide opinion.

He is improving,he run his socks off last night to a point where just after 60 mins he looked done,2nd wind maybe arrived..

When you look at those stats they are far too low for his position,attacking midfielders should each contibute 10-12 goals a season-thats the acceptable quota Sir Bob Paisley required his midfielders to get per season.

Offline SerbianScouser

• Far from world class.
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...All the best
« Reply #17 on: May 6, 2016, 03:37:52 pm »
But does he do enough?
Lallana is doing a great job for us, he makes us tick in the final third, his ball retention in those areas is invaluable to us but one thing I`d wish for is that he was a type of player that scares the opposition with his power and pace - just imagine for example Ojo profile of the player instead of him - because that profile of the player is what we lack right now in our front 4.

We can do a lot worse than Lallana in our front 4 right now because he`s really important to what we`re trying to do on the pitch but with an Ojo profile of a player - somebody who can offer us a lot of power, pace and penetration - we could potentially go to the next level. Until then Lallana will do just fine.

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #18 on: May 6, 2016, 03:39:43 pm »
Doesn't divide opinion with me reminds me of Quasi;

silky touches , clever player and very unselfish player and often underrated by the fans.

Also tends to be at the right place at the right time to score the occasional vital goal.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: May 6, 2016, 03:42:07 pm »
Lallana is doing a great job for us, he makes us tick in the final third, his ball retention in those areas is invaluable to us but one thing I`d wish for is that he was a type of player that scares the opposition with his power and pace - just imagine for example Ojo profile of the player instead of him - because that profile of the player is what we lack right now in our front 4.

We can do a lot worse than Lallana in our front 4 right now because he`s really important to what we`re trying to do on the pitch but with an Ojo profile of a player - somebody who can offer us a lot of power, pace and penetration - we could potentially go to the next level. Until then Lallana will do just fine.
I agree, I think that to take our attack to the next level would require the addition of a physical beast: lots of pace, without loss of intelligence or technique.

But Lallana would still be an important squa member in that situation: he would play lots of games.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #20 on: May 6, 2016, 03:43:08 pm »
Lallana is the type of player who will always divide opinion.

He is improving,he run his socks off last night to a point where just after 60 mins he looked done,2nd wind maybe arrived..

When you look at those stats they are far too low for his position,attacking midfielders should each contibute 10-12 goals a season-thats the acceptable quota Sir Bob Paisley required his midfielders to get per season.
Considering none of the players in his post had 10-12 goals then we're going to have a busy summer...............

Offline Alf Garnett!

• widely excepted yet secretly cryptic - cower ye before the mighty crusher of yellow walls. Video Embedder Extraordinaire
  • Legacy Fan
  • *Davo*It don't get better than this.
« Reply #21 on: May 6, 2016, 03:48:14 pm »
Considering none of the players in his post had 10-12 goals then we're going to have a busy summer...............

Sums up our inconsistency well,Sir Bobs standards were very high.

Offline BathroomBook

• Main Stander
« Reply #22 on: May 6, 2016, 03:57:55 pm »
Adam Lallana is a bit like Benayoun. When you think of him that way, he's a solid part of the team. People who find him underwhelming tend to focus on the price we paid for him.

Offline modokay

• Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: May 6, 2016, 04:00:38 pm »
Lallana is the first player to be benched if we get Reus or Götze or some other marquee signing.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #24 on: May 6, 2016, 04:06:56 pm »
Lallana is the first player to be benched if we get Reus or Götze or some other marquee signing.

Not necessarily. We have room for one of them as part of a rotating squad, and they could just as easily displace an out of form Coutinho or Firmino. They would certainly provide much more competition for all our current AMs, which I think is good.

Lad was superb last night. He is getting better and better under Klopp. 

Offline BeautifulGame91

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: May 6, 2016, 08:03:01 pm »
His pressing and overall performance has been excellent but his finishing leaves lot to be desired to be honest .We are lucky his poor finishing hasn't caused us much in recent times (Dortmund 2nd leg, 1 on 1 vs Everton and again yesterday ).

He desperately needs to I prove his finishing otherwise will struggle to be first choice player when we sign a winger.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #26 on: May 6, 2016, 08:04:43 pm »
Do you remember the days when people used to take the piss out of us for buying Southampton?

How the winds of change can blow.
Last season, the phrase was incredibly popular, this season, nada.

Reporter for Fox:

keith costigan ‏@KeithCostigan  6h6 hours ago
Klopp told me Lallana should not be unsung.  Said he could sing 10 songs about him.  Called him the team's hunter. First line of press

Lallana the Hunter. Does have a nice string to it. :D
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Shaun101

• Didn't take up his ticket for the Screen Sports Super Cup
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Where did I leave it?
« Reply #27 on: May 6, 2016, 10:16:00 pm »
When he is on song he is a metronome  for our rhythm and he can change the direction of play in an instant, I think he sees games in 3d when he is at his best where some players see in straight lines

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: May 7, 2016, 03:39:08 am »
These games where you think he needs a defensive player like Lucas is where Henderson still has a huge part to play. Can, Hendo and Milner is a very good midfield 3. They will press and press and press. Obviously Hendo would then have to come in for one of those attacking players but as you say in certain games, this will be required anyway. I'm intrigued as to what Klopp thinks our best 11 is when everybody is fit. Out of the attacking players Lallana would probably be everybody's first choice to omit, but for me he is essential to the way we want to play. He plays Klopp's pressing game better than anybody we have. It also helps he is an incredibly gifted footballer who is adept with either foot and also possibly does the Cruyff turn better than the late, great man himself!

For me, it would be Can, Hendo, Milner with Lallana, Firmino/Coutinho and Sturridge/Origi.

I said this about Lallana in the Can thread. I fucking love him, been a big fan since he came in and liked him when he played for Southampton. The first thing that struck me about him was how at ease he is using his 'weaker' left foot. Not a lot of footballers can use their weaker foot, and of those that can, the majority can only swing a decent cross or a shot out of it. Just look at the way this lad controls it, dribbles with and takes touches with both of his feet. If any of you play football, try and do a Cruyff turn with your weaker foot. I probably like this more than most as I too am adept with either foot (I must note I only play 6 a side now) but as a youngster playing for junior teams I always got stuck out on the left and just learned to use my left foot for a few years. Really bothers me that more footballers can not do it.

Anyway, I genuinely think this lad, along with Emre, is going to be the first name on Klopp's team sheet. I read a few posts when Klopp came in and since saying he doesn't suit Klopp's style. Absolute nonsense! He is fucking perfect for it. His work ethic also seems to rub off on others. There was a moment in the game the other night when Lallana was pressing from the front as he does, and his nearest team mate was Sturridge who needed to press too to prevent Lallana's press being pointless. Sturridge didn't and Adam had a word with him, he was gesticulating for him to press and he never did. Then afterwards you could see he was again telling him what he wanted.

That's another quality that will go unnoticed by many, the lad is a leader. He was Southampton's captain. If we can only play two out of him, Firmino and Coutinho then I am afraid it is one of the samba boys who has to miss out. He has 7 goals and 8 assists this season, too, so he isn't that far behind those two in numbers. And his pressing is just invaluable. The sort of player you don't really know what you'd miss until he isn't there.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Beninger

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: May 7, 2016, 04:07:38 am »
Markovic is no threat to Lallana.

Lallana's biggest issue is his goal contribution and Markovic isnt even matching what Lallana is doing in those areas in a much worse league.
One is playing under our manager at the moment and the other one isn't. I'm going to wait and see what sort of things can be done with our players who haven't played for Klopp yet.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: May 7, 2016, 04:11:54 am »

Cheers for that, Jurgen.

Wish I hadn't scrolled straight past this before I posted, I look a right twat now.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Alonso_The_Assassin

• Legacy Fan
    • Just Words
« Reply #31 on: May 7, 2016, 04:20:33 am »
I said this about Lallana in the Can thread. I fucking love him, been a big fan since he came in and liked him when he played for Southampton. The first thing that struck me about him was how at ease he is using his 'weaker' left foot. Not a lot of footballers can use their weaker foot, and of those that can, the majority can only swing a decent cross or a shot out of it. Just look at the way this lad controls it, dribbles with and takes touches with both of his feet. If any of you play football, try and do a Cruyff turn with your weaker foot. I probably like this more than most as I too am adept with either foot (I must note I only play 6 a side now) but as a youngster playing for junior teams I always got stuck out on the left and just learned to use my left foot for a few years. Really bothers me that more footballers can not do it.

Anyway, I genuinely think this lad, along with Emre, is going to be the first name on Klopp's team sheet. I read a few posts when Klopp came in and since saying he doesn't suit Klopp's style. Absolute nonsense! He is fucking perfect for it. His work ethic also seems to rub off on others. There was a moment in the game the other night when Lallana was pressing from the front as he does, and his nearest team mate was Sturridge who needed to press too to prevent Lallana's press being pointless. Sturridge didn't and Adam had a word with him, he was gesticulating for him to press and he never did. Then afterwards you could see he was again telling him what he wanted.

That's another quality that will go unnoticed by many, the lad is a leader. He was Southampton's captain. If we can only play two out of him, Firmino and Coutinho then I am afraid it is one of the samba boys who has to miss out. He has 7 goals and 8 assists this season, too, so he isn't that far behind those two in numbers. And his pressing is just invaluable. The sort of player you don't really know what you'd miss until he isn't there.

Spot on, mate. Agree with all of that. All told, he's probably my favorite player in this current team.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #32 on: May 7, 2016, 05:24:56 am »
I’ve always thought the ‘fitness issue’ has been a bit of a red herring.

When you’re winning games you often look to replace your attacking players around the hour mark to maybe tighten things up a bit. If you’re losing you might replace an attacking player to put an alternative on or switch formations. I think Jay Rodriguez who played on the opposite side at Southampton was also substituted a lot around this time…..

Rafa used to do this to Benayoun all the time.

the fitness thing in the OP is not just a red herring - it's more or less untrue and was highlighted multiple times in the transfer forum.
Tubby thinks PGMOL are awesome..

And tubby is always right

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #33 on: May 7, 2016, 05:40:25 am »
I've said it before, he's clearly one of the most important players in the side at the moment. His skill on the ball and work ethic off it means he invariably retains possession for us, and more importantly, opens up space. Also, love having a truly ambidextrous player.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: May 7, 2016, 05:40:32 am »
Agreed his goal return can be an area that can be improved but don't think it is a major concern. He makes our pressing tick, he makes our team tick. If we have a lethal striker up-front which we do now with Sturridge and Origi and have goals from Coutinho and Firmino, we have a fair number of goals in the team. I think Klopp sees it the same way that is why Adam has been a consistent feature in this team.

Offline dmorgan

• Started well, turned out a bit meh.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Going, Going....gone.
« Reply #35 on: May 7, 2016, 07:11:20 am »
He is actually my favourite LFC player to watch currently. His goal output can be improved but in terms of his contribution to our overall play he has been brilliant throughout the season. Definite starter every game

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #36 on: May 7, 2016, 07:44:35 am »
So much emphasis on goals and assists to judge a player who is visibly involved in a lot of how the team operates - if he's making space, holding the ball to free up team mates to do the rest, defend from the front and run himself to the ground to hound the ball off the opponent then there shouldn't be any question on his importance to the way Klopp wants the team to work. Should he take more shots and make more passes into the final three just to satisfy the so-called KPIs of the stato experts or stick to what he does best as instructed by the manager? While he can certainly learn to add those to his arsenal of abilities he is performing as expected of him by the manager and has been a part of the best performances under Klopp,

Steven Gerrard was a freak of nature - don't judge every player by his standards as Cou, Firmino and Can et al would be failures under those criteria.

Reminds me of the distribution argument about goalkeepers; so much is placed on how he is able to distribute the ball that shot stopping and ball keeping becomes secondary that it's ridiculous.
« Last Edit: May 7, 2016, 07:47:52 am by Sheev-Palpatine »
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Frank Becton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JB - Fleetwood Face
« Reply #37 on: May 7, 2016, 08:17:41 am »
Similar to Lovren , now showing what a good player he is.
Wherever my boy is that's where I want to be.

Offline McSquared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: May 7, 2016, 08:22:25 am »
Does enough for me. You don't need to be top of the goal/assists list to affect the game in a positive way

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: May 7, 2016, 08:27:43 am »
One is playing under our manager at the moment and the other one isn't. I'm going to wait and see what sort of things can be done with our players who haven't played for Klopp yet.

Great point! 

Personally I think he's done really well and he's working his socks off in games now, always suprised by how comfortable on the ball he is.  The main concern for me would be again his final product and I do feel we could go up a level if we bring in another top quality player in that area, by increasing the competition if anything.