Author Topic: Amazon Kindle  (Read 72032 times)

Offline Chivasino

• educated whopper
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Amazon Kindle
« Reply #40 on: November 2, 2010, 03:40:31 pm »
Pritch - does that mean you can find the books on torrents or equivalent?

Offline AJ4Seven

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: November 2, 2010, 04:07:44 pm »

Plenty of the classics are available for free through Amazon themselves, and if you get software called Calibre it will convert the various different types of E-bboks available, even the stolen ones found on torrents.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: November 2, 2010, 08:37:09 pm »

Most top titles available on Warez-BB or Bolt.org.

Been reading the latest Grisham novel on mine today. Beautiful piece of kit. Can't wait 'til my cover arrives...

« Last Edit: November 2, 2010, 08:39:34 pm by .adam »

Offline Pritch

• RAWK Supporter
  • Main Stander
« Reply #43 on: November 3, 2010, 01:15:56 am »
Yup, Calibre is the way forward.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: November 3, 2010, 09:52:04 am »
Yup, Calibre is the way forward.

I find Calibre quite clunky to use but it's functionality is perfect. It'll basically convert any document to a Kindle-compatible format.

Offline electricghost

• Might haunt your wiring, but will usually stop if requested to. Lives in a spirit house in Pra Kanong.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: November 3, 2010, 10:21:22 am »
You can connect & dl books from the Kindle store via 3G, but in America a simple web browser is also available, unless it is different for the Kindle 3(I have the Kindle 2) the browser doesn't work in the UK.

Web browser is on the kindle 3 here. It's not great, but it's there.
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
― Steven Weinberg

Offline Trabolgan

• Anny Roader
  • "For The Honour"
« Reply #46 on: November 4, 2010, 12:56:17 am »
A mate who has one told me that instead of using calibre to format stuff for kindle he has a kindle email address registered to his kindle i.e bobsmith1@kindle.com. You get this address with your kindle. What he does is attaches a pdf or word doc onto an email address to his kindle in the subject line he puts the word convert send email off and when he syncs the kindle a few minutes later its formatted to the kindle format. However it doesnt work with epub format.
For The Honour

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: November 4, 2010, 07:07:04 am »
A mate who has one told me that instead of using calibre to format stuff for kindle he has a kindle email address registered to his kindle i.e bobsmith1@kindle.com. You get this address with your kindle. What he does is attaches a pdf or word doc onto an email address to his kindle in the subject line he puts the word convert send email off and when he syncs the kindle a few minutes later its formatted to the kindle format. However it doesnt work with epub format.

They charge a few pennies for the service though.

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: November 4, 2010, 07:31:51 am »
They charge a few pennies for the service though.
Depends if you are sending to a Kindle 3G or not. If you put "Convert Free" in the subject the kindle will only download the email on a wireless connection and then its free. If your using the Kindle Wi-Fi version then all the emails are free.

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2010, 12:21:53 pm »
Really want to get one of these. However, I’m in Ireland, and I believe that for some reason (legal, probably) I cant buy Kindle books from amazon.co.uk over here, but apparently I can from amazon.com

Has anyone on here from Ireland bought a Kindle yet and have they had any issues getting books for it?
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline JoeH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2010, 07:58:53 am »
Does anyone know any good links to Autobiographies? cant seem to find the books I want on the sites mentioned here.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2010, 10:14:09 am »
Does anyone know any good links to Autobiographies? cant seem to find the books I want on the sites mentioned here.

The sites I'm using are Warez-BB.org and Bolt.org. Also stumbled across this place the other day which might be useful.

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2010, 10:14:43 am »
Alternatively, try Googling the name of the book with MOBI at the end.

E.g. The Fry Chronicles MOBI

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #53 on: December 7, 2010, 09:59:06 pm »
Thinking of getting one of these for my daughter as a 16th birthday present....would it be any good as a study tool? Could she put text books and study material on it?
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline blert596

• or is it Simon Peg, Advert: Buy incontinence bed pads from www.incontinencechoice.co.uk Wash & disposable. Trade & Public.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: December 8, 2010, 11:17:37 am »
Thinking of getting one of these for my daughter as a 16th birthday present....would it be any good as a study tool? Could she put text books and study material on it?

Might be better off inding out what books she's going to be studying first mate. Probably most school text books for English or whatever are available. Wouldnt be too sure about specific study books for other subjects like maths etc though
All the badge kissing in the world don't make up for the fact that they are, frankly, not Liverpool Football Club. It's not their fault. Its just how it is.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: December 8, 2010, 11:58:26 am »

iPad is better, but Kindle is no slouch either. If pdfs or other docs are converted to kindle format, theoretically you can highlight and annotate text in them too. At the current price of Ł109, I think they are a steal for everyone who reads or studies.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #56 on: December 8, 2010, 12:18:55 pm »
iPad is better, but Kindle is no slouch either. If pdfs or other docs are converted to kindle format, theoretically you can highlight and annotate text in them too. At the current price of Ł109, I think they are a steal for everyone who reads or studies.
iPad is 4x times the price though - is it 4 times better than the Kindle? Anyway my budget certainly wouldn't stretch to an iPad....so I guess a Kindle will have to do.
Anyone have any GCSE study materials for the Kindle?
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline .adam

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: December 8, 2010, 02:35:59 pm »
Definitely worth checking on Amazon to see if they publish the text books you're looking for in Kindle format.

Also, check some of the nefarious sites I listed above.

In my honest opinion, I don't think the Kindle would be good for studying. It would frustrate me not being able to quickly flick back and forwards between different sections of the book. It's perfect for reading novels etc., the primary purpose I bought it, but I know that I wouldn't have used it to study with when I was at school/uni.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: December 8, 2010, 02:39:45 pm »
iPad is 4x times the price though - is it 4 times better than the Kindle? Anyway my budget certainly wouldn't stretch to an iPad....so I guess a Kindle will have to do.
Anyone have any GCSE study materials for the Kindle?

For reading only, iPad is better and worse. Kindle is easier to read in all conditions (except in dark environments without a reading light). However, iPad handles non-Kindle based formats better, like .doc, PDF, etc.

As an overall device, I'd say iPad is more than 4x better than Kindle.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: December 9, 2010, 02:29:23 am »
i thinki've decided to take the plunge and get a kindle. looks like it will take some time for amazon to deliver though.

apparently john lewis sell them too, are they any more likely to have them in stock in the shop do you think?

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: December 9, 2010, 04:19:16 am »
i thinki've decided to take the plunge and get a kindle. looks like it will take some time for amazon to deliver though.

apparently john lewis sell them too, are they any more likely to have them in stock in the shop do you think?

7-10 days,....get it ordered now. Or at least go down to JLewis tomorrow and see what the situation is like there.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: December 9, 2010, 09:10:58 am »
7-10 days,....get it ordered now. Or at least go down to JLewis tomorrow and see what the situation is like there.
should probably order it now, but amazon saay that it will likely arrive after christmas, so i think i'll see what john lewis can do. not the end of the world if i wait as i don't have much time to read at the moment, but would be nice to have it

Offline PaulV

• RAWK Pope
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #62 on: December 9, 2010, 12:50:53 pm »
For reading only, iPad is better and worse. However, iPad handles non-Kindle based formats better, like .doc, PDF, etc.
I would hate to read on a iPad for any length of time. I get eyestrain reading off both an iPhone and an HTC Desire due to the backlit nature of their screens. The electronic ink on the Kindle is brilliant and I can read it for hours at a time, just like paper. OK, you cannot read the Kindle in the dark, but then I cannot read a book in the dark either.

(This is from someone who always scoffed at the thought of reading on any electronic reader than on paper.)
Install Calibre (http://calibre-ebook.com/) which converts between most ebook formats as well as managing your complete ebook library. It will also handle sending the book files to your Kindle (via USB or email).

Brilliant for reading fiction. Loads of now out of print books are available on newsgroups/torrents and loads of free ones in Project Gutenberg and other free archives.

My main criticisms of the Kindle are
1) the appalling way it handles a large library; you cannot simply get a list of authors and then browse to the author you want and display his books to select from.
2) you cannot add series data to the books, so if you have a series of books, you have no idea what order they should be read in. I have started changing the title and adding a numeric prefix, but I really shouldn't have to do that
3) it is not good at books that need layout. Textbooks and other books with large images/tables can cause problems.
To many people have discovered "Football Manager" and now they all think they are Kenny but alas so many end up as Roy

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 9, 2010, 01:24:38 pm »
That's kind of why I said it's better and worse. Kindle doesn't do a very good job of anything other than paper/hardback type books. Reference and illustrated books, pdfs etc are all a bit turd in comparison. That's where iPad does better, and those types of books you typically won't spend hours reading.

Don't get me wrong, I own both, and am introducing a second Kindle for the missus :). Personally I don't have that much issue reading on backlight, but I do agree that eInk is better, and I much prefer the weight and format of the Kindle for 4 hour reading sessions....even better than paperback :p

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 9, 2010, 01:26:14 pm »
should probably order it now, but amazon saay that it will likely arrive after christmas, so i think i'll see what john lewis can do. not the end of the world if i wait as i don't have much time to read at the moment, but would be nice to have it

Eh?. It blatantly says on their site:
"Ordering for Christmas? Orders placed today will arrive on or before December 24th. Current quantity limit is 5 Kindles per customer."

Offline JoeH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2010, 02:30:02 pm »
Anyone got any links for autobiographies (liverpool players and other UK based people). None of the sites given have the ones I am looking for and google mobi search is about as much use as a chocolate tea pot.

Bought Kenny s biog though :D

Offline DK

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2010, 04:45:29 pm »
Anyone subscribe to newspapers via Kindle? I'm assuming they can't convert the photos to show on the Kindle but do you see anything other than just the re-print of the text?  Do you receive the whole of the paper or is it only selected sections (like you would with an iPhone app)?

Offline Jagdip

• former Lunatic
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2010, 11:59:17 am »
I have left it too late to get my Dad a Kindle for Xmas. Bullocks. Called all John Lewis within a 20 -30 mile radius and amazon say delivery after Christmas - due to weather conditions. I'm gambling that this is a disclaimer and with express delivery - I will get it by Thursday. Optimism at its greatest!

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2010, 12:57:10 pm »
I have left it too late to get my Dad a Kindle for Xmas. Bullocks. Called all John Lewis within a 20 -30 mile radius and amazon say delivery after Christmas - due to weather conditions. I'm gambling that this is a disclaimer and with express delivery - I will get it by Thursday. Optimism at its greatest!

definitely worth some optimism. i ordered mine last week (expedited delivery) to be told it would be despatched 4-7 days later, estimated despatch date between 21st and 29th and "won't be there in time for christmas". turns out it was despatched for delivery saturday and due to make it to me tomorrow (though i'm not counting my chickens with the weather). whatever you do though, order it from amazon. don't rely on john lewis - they won't have any for a long time.

good luck getting it in time, even if you don't you can always blame the weather! i'm sure he'll be happy with it even if it's a couple of days late

Offline JP-65

• FA/UEFA/FIFA are not fit for purpose
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2010, 01:39:07 pm »

Why not amazon?  They're saying they can deliver before christmas.

Offline Jagdip

• former Lunatic
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2010, 02:15:55 pm »
Why not amazon?  They're saying they can deliver before christmas.

For me it is saying AFTER Christmas. With the capitals and all. I ordered it regardless and it says, dispatching soon. Fingers crossed, I get it by Thursday.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2010, 02:26:40 pm »
For me it is saying AFTER Christmas. With the capitals and all. I ordered it regardless and it says, dispatching soon. Fingers crossed, I get it by Thursday.

Just looked, changed from yesterday, maybe because of the weather related issues?  Good luck.

Offline Jagdip

• former Lunatic
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2010, 06:12:11 pm »
Cheers mate. You're right. It's been dispatched and I've prime, therefore did it on next day delivery. If I get it by Wed, result. Fingers crossed.

Offline JP-65

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2010, 06:16:37 pm »
Cheers mate. You're right. It's been dispatched and I've prime, therefore did it on next day delivery. If I get it by Wed, result. Fingers crossed.

That's great, amazon are usually pretty reliable

Offline Basil

• Main Stander
« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2010, 03:02:03 pm »
Kindle's are awesome, i read book by Robert Jordan that are massive hardbacks at like 900+ pages, so having a nice slim ebook is amazing.

i can even read in the bath with a freezer bag that zips up :P

what i also like is i my dad got my mum one for her bday under my name, ive registered my credit card to it.  both are registered to me so when she buys books i can read them as well.  then all she does is go onto her online banking and make a bill payment to my credit card so she doesnt owe me any money. means when she gets books like lee child and other crime type books i can read as well nps
The ball drops and he just settles the world . Then that right foot hits it and you see the future arc of the ball and time goes all gluey like a Dali painting, and for a second there's a twenty year old Steven Gerrard and your younger self cheering him on throu

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2010, 03:09:57 pm »

any luck?
not arrived for me yet, although i'm blindly hoping my neighbour has had it delivered for me today

Offline Jagdip

• former Lunatic
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 26, 2010, 09:13:33 pm »
any luck?
not arrived for me yet, although i'm blindly hoping my neighbour has had it delivered for me today

Hey Dude!

Kindle didn't arrive in time but manage to get Dad another present although am still awaiting the Kindle and will see if I decide to keep it or not. Dad says he isn't too impressed with them but he's a cynical old man that prefers his books. Which is fine but with his worsening eye sight, I think a Kindle which can have text at a larger font would do him more good than squinting with a normal text book.

Offline danwms

• Legacy Fan
  • Walking through the storm.
    • Last FM
« Reply #77 on: January 5, 2011, 01:05:33 pm »
i subscribe to the news papers using Calibre.

As long as you PC is running it can automatically send the days news papers or stuff from BBC news/Sport each morning.

Offline JoeH

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 10, 2011, 10:22:23 pm »
Got some cracking web sites here:

http://www.free-ebook-download.net/
&
http://www.freebookspot.me/

some of them have magazines too.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #79 on: January 16, 2011, 12:08:57 pm »
Just a couple of questions about this device.

How do the PDF's or Word docs come out on it?  Are they clear?

On my iPhone I like reading some of the linked articles on Twitter but of course it's a strain.  Is accessing Twitter easy on the Kindle?

3G or Wi-fi?  Does it make any difference with the 'sync' i.e. when you're on the move?