Author Topic: The Tablet Computing Thread  (Read 360585 times)

Offline iSmiff

• TECHNOBORE
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Apple iPad.... awful name awful product
« Reply #400 on: January 28, 2010, 02:59:27 pm »
stephen fry is a self confessed apple fanboy, his opinion is worthless
STFU and agree with me.

Offline fry

• or stew
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hoe Hoe Hoe
« Reply #401 on: January 28, 2010, 03:00:37 pm »
the target audience for this device has spoken

http://www.stephenfry.com/2010/01/28/ipad-about/
Speaking of the target audience:

Disclaimer: The above post may not be based on facts even if stated as fact.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #402 on: January 28, 2010, 03:02:42 pm »
Guess what, my mam and dad are both technophobes but they have been surfing the net, booking holidays, buying all sorts, using digi cameras and even printing their snaps off for years.

How? you may wonder, well it's easy, they have a son who was willing to build them both a PC and set it up so all they had to do was click on an icon that says "internet" on the desktop or when they plug the camera in, it asks them what they want to do, piece of piss. So, I ask, if your mum and your mates mum wanted to do these things you say, why the fuck have you sat around and done bugger all to help them.

They both have laptops (sub £400 ones). I don't like them. Poorly constructed, not powerful despite the big numbers on the box, and run Windows (both XP and Vista).

They also don't like them.

Why is it too slow to do this? Why isn't this working? What's this popup asking me about someone trying to "ping" me - do I wan't to allow? Why is it running slow since I clicked on that link? And a hundred other questions they ask every time something unexpected or not wanted happens.

I know how easy computers are to use. I know how easy it is to show other people. But believe it or not, some other people couldn't care less. These are people who didn't record programmes with a VCR, coz they couldn't be arsed learning how to use the timer. Or even VideoPlus when that kicked off.

Some people wan't the internet, not a computer. Somewhere to look at photo's, not computer. The application, not the hardware. Maybe this is for them?

(by the way, the irony that you will need a computer to start using an iPad in the first place isn't lost on me :))

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #403 on: January 28, 2010, 03:04:53 pm »
On first glance it looks like a disappointment. I am the early adopting Apple fanboy who ought to be salivating about this, but I'm going to swerve this iteration and see where it is in a year or two from now.

I skipped the iPhone 2G because my Windows Mobile device pissed all over it in terms of usability and price. By the time the 3G arrived Apple had all of the third parties on board and some of the 2G issues resolved. I think the same route will follow with the iPad. It may have a place in my life in a year or two, but right now other items (laptops, MacBooks, iPhones) are better equipped.

Offline keithcun

• Shameless destroyer of Warringtons finest cinematoria, claims he used to have a large one...
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #404 on: January 28, 2010, 03:12:36 pm »
Just to be also clear, I don't like the iPad - it certainly isn't for me. My iPhone and MacBookPro will continue working well for me,

What i was trying to say was, it will certainly be for someone. It will fill a hole for some people, whether you want to believe it or not. And I'm willing to wager a decent proportion the people it fills holes for won't own a Mac or an iPhone (or have Steve Jobb's signature tattooed across both their arsecheeks).

Bit like a butt plug then.  ;)
I might have single handedly ruined Warrington's picture houses,but personally thought my pocket money was better spent at Anfield.

Offline Frank.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #405 on: January 28, 2010, 03:15:31 pm »
I agree with MichaelA, I like the thought but right now it's in an too early a stage for me to buy one.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #406 on: January 28, 2010, 03:16:23 pm »
On first glance it looks like a disappointment. I am the early adopting Apple fanboy who ought to be salivating about this, but I'm going to swerve this iteration and see where it is in a year or two from now.

I skipped the iPhone 2G because my Windows Mobile device pissed all over it in terms of usability and price. By the time the 3G arrived Apple had all of the third parties on board and some of the 2G issues resolved. I think the same route will follow with the iPad. It may have a place in my life in a year or two, but right now other items (laptops, MacBooks, iPhones) are better equipped.

I'm thinking the same thing. This model, no, but when they have a camera on the front and multitasking, etc, I'll probably end up with one.

Offline neel2108

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the king.
« Reply #407 on: January 28, 2010, 03:22:54 pm »
There's no denying that it has a lot of potential. The main disappointment is probably from the fact that the OS is very similar to the iPhone OS. I can imagine the 2nd and 3rd Gen versions of this machine being beasts though. Integration of things like iChat and GPS, wireless syncing and so on. There are possibilities, we just all assumed they'd be present in this first one.

I imagine they will be, but Apple will make money off of inferior models first, release a new one, and hook in more money and so on. They know what they're doing, the evil fuckers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrryWFt7SII

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"With one swing of his gifted right boot Steven Gerrard says, Champions League, Knockout Stage, Here we come!!"

Just can't get enough...........

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #409 on: January 28, 2010, 03:25:43 pm »
There's no denying that it has a lot of potential. The main disappointment is probably from the fact that the OS is very similar to the iPhone OS. I can imagine the 2nd and 3rd Gen versions of this machine being beasts though. Integration of things like iChat and GPS, wireless syncing and so on. There are possibilities, we just all assumed they'd be present in this first one.

I imagine they will be, but Apple will make money off of inferior models first, release a new one, and hook in more money and so on. They know what they're doing, the evil fuckers.

Exactly, all part of the "business plan". They are a business, after all.

Would expect future revisions to give existing customers a bit of a software upgrade though - but leave maybe 1/2 things out to entice an upgrade, in the same way the iPhone has done

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #410 on: January 28, 2010, 03:27:12 pm »
It looks stupid with the icons so spread out. And I mentioned that reading books on this would be crap yesterday, so you can all fuck off.

Spread out icons, agreed. I'm hoping they'll allow some tweaks in the UI without having to resort to jail breaking. I won't hold my breath though. I think the proof will be in the reading if it's any good as a long term reader. I have some doubts over its performance in the sun or bright light.

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #411 on: January 28, 2010, 03:32:25 pm »
Just to be also clear, I don't like the iPad - it certainly isn't for me. My iPhone and MacBookPro will continue working well for me,

What i was trying to say was, it will certainly be for someone. It will fill a hole for some people, whether you want to believe it or not. And I'm willing to wager a decent proportion the people it fills holes for won't own a Mac or an iPhone (or have Steve Jobb's signature tattooed across both their arsecheeks).

Apple exist to make money, not to please geeks on the internet. And they will do that by the bucketload with this, the same way they have with the iPod and iPhone (and to a lesser extent, the Mac since the afforementioned i's have been around)

Wilson Rothman over at Gizmodo thinking along the same lines as you Paul:

http://gizmodo.com/5458531/the-ipad-is-the-gadget-we-never-knew-we-needed?skyline=true&s=i

I personally still think it's a load of shit though..
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #412 on: January 28, 2010, 03:33:24 pm »
I'm not convinced that in 5 years time the latest iteration will have all the things this one should have had.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #413 on: January 28, 2010, 03:54:29 pm »
I'm not convinced that in 5 years time the latest iteration will have all the things this one should have had.

there'll be a plethora of similar devices that can do all and more. Battery technology will improve in that time, as will screens, and 4G/Wi-Max will be widely available. There's a high probability that Tablets/Pads/Slates will have forward facing cameras for pictures and augmented reality (using GPS, compass, accelerometer) and back facing cameras for video conferencing.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #414 on: January 28, 2010, 04:03:05 pm »
Needs a stylus.

I think it's just too similar to an iPod touch for it to have any real appeal, to me at least. No doubting it will sell shit loads as people would rather pay for the logo than shop around and maybe go with something different with better functionality.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 04:05:34 pm by Bob Loblaw »

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #415 on: January 28, 2010, 04:09:44 pm »
It may have a place in my life in a year or two

Exactly right. For some it will come quicker or slower or not at all.

Personally I spend a lot of time in the evening on the sofa browsing (RSS, IMDB), social networking (here, Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, E-Mail). At the moment I use my laptop which is fairly awkward, gets hot, so I have one of those Belkin rests which works well, but is a bit more clunky. Or I might be reading a book on my eReader (Sony PRS505) - crap at pdfs though. I could use my iPhone/HTC HD2, but the small interface starts getting a bit cramped after a while.

When I'm around the house, I might want to look something up. It usually involves me either looking up on the smartphone, then realising after 5 minutes I better move to my desktop or laptop if I carry on reading. Smartphone is great if I want to find something specific.

On the road with work I take the eReader to read fiction. I take my laptop for work (60% e-mail, 20% VOIP, 20% OneNote, 5% RDP, 5% Visio/Office...approx :)). E-mail is sorted, VOIP is not (OCS 2007), OneNote kind of, RDP is, Visio/Office mostly no. So I still need my laptop on the road, but I take the eReader anyway, so it's not much to replace like for like and then spend a more comfortable night in a hotel with an iPad - maybe I say.

On the road personally, and I don't need my work tools. iPad/Tablet would fit in very well, much better than laptop. Don't do much photo editing on the road, as I prefer my desktop with 24" calibrated screen, same for video.

So I'd say I'm about 75% sure it fits well into my life. 100% if I just make sure I plan accordingly.

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #416 on: January 28, 2010, 04:16:16 pm »
Needs a stylus.

I think it's just too similar to an iPod touch for it to have any real appeal, to me at least. No doubting it will sell shit loads as people would rather pay for the logo than shop around and maybe go with something different with better functionality.

The screen has 5.12 times more real estate. It's like comparing a 5 bedroomed house to a 1 bedroomed flat. Sure both have doors and windows and a roof, but you can do so much more with one than the other.

The analogy could continue into how in the iPad 5 bedroomed house you have to tidy everything away in one room before you can go an do something else in the next :). But then this 5 bedroomed house is actually a 5 bedroomed mobile holiday home that you only do a specific set of things on, and leave the rest of everyday life to your big house :). Bad analogy, I'll get me coat!

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #417 on: January 28, 2010, 04:17:45 pm »
If this had an apple logo, it would be the most innovative brilliant device ever concieved.

http://gizmodo.com/5365299/courier-first-details-of-microsofts-secret-tablet

Offline Jimmy Conway

• Look at me, never rat on your friends and always keep your mouth shut
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #418 on: January 28, 2010, 04:20:10 pm »
The screen has 5.12 times more real estate. It's like comparing a 5 bedroomed house to a 1 bedroomed flat. Sure both have doors and windows and a roof, but you can do so much more with one than the other.

The analogy could continue into how in the iPad 5 bedroomed house you have to tidy everything away in one room before you can go an do something else in the next :). But then this 5 bedroomed house is actually a 5 bedroomed mobile holiday home that you only do a specific set of things on, and leave the rest of everyday life to your big house :). Bad analogy, I'll get me coat!

Sorry mate, but that's just daft. You're struggling when you start making bad analogies up.

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #419 on: January 28, 2010, 04:29:12 pm »
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #420 on: January 28, 2010, 04:32:21 pm »
Some of the Apple piss-taking out there is very funny, but this is just fucking lame.

The Daily Mash should be renamed the Daily Gash - I read funnier stuff on this Forum every day of the week - and only some of it is intentional...

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #421 on: January 28, 2010, 04:35:51 pm »
Sorry mate, but that's just daft. You're struggling when you start making bad analogies up.

Just a chain of thought. I'm not struggling at all. It does have 5.12 times more screen estate pixel for pixel which is a massive difference, however you dress it up.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #422 on: January 28, 2010, 04:37:52 pm »
If this had an apple logo, it would be the most innovative brilliant device ever concieved.

I've seen this and if it works as shown it will be on top of my list.
Stylus seems so retro and uncool to some, but I say fuck writing/drawing with your fingers only for the sake of doing something 'new'..
Two screens open so many cool options and altogether it ticks more boxes for everyday use...

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #423 on: January 28, 2010, 04:39:04 pm »
I've seen this and if it works as shown it will be on top of my list.]

That is really the key, isn't it?

Offline LFCfan4Life

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #424 on: January 28, 2010, 04:41:23 pm »

have to say if thats all real that will kill the ipad
Two bulls, one old and one young, standing at the top of a field watching a herd of cows. The young one says, "hey let's run down and fuck one of them", and the older one says, "patience, let's walk down and fuck them all".

JUSTICE 4 THE 96.

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #425 on: January 28, 2010, 04:47:41 pm »

Now that actually looks useful.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #426 on: January 28, 2010, 04:52:13 pm »

I think I've just...well, excuse me for a moment. That is beautiful. I'm a total Moleskine geek and that is the closest I have seen to something that could replicate the experience of filling a notebook with ideas, sketches, etc but with real live links. I WANT THAT THING NOW!!!

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #427 on: January 28, 2010, 04:53:27 pm »
No flash and no multi-tasking makes this sound like a bad joke.

And people saying its goof for aroung the house? You can get laptop that aren't much bigger and can do everything this can and more. For about the same price too?

If its anything like the iphone it will need to be handled with extreme care too.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #428 on: January 28, 2010, 04:54:56 pm »
I think I've just...well, excuse me for a moment. That is beautiful. I'm a total Moleskine geek and that is the closest I have seen to something that could replicate the experience of filling a notebook with ideas, sketches, etc but with real live links. I WANT THAT THING NOW!!!

I hope it comes out in the next year or so and the at most the same price points as the ipad. I'd be first in line.

Offline SMD

• Shit streamer. Can't be found by drive man.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #429 on: January 28, 2010, 04:55:27 pm »
RIGHT FUCK THIS, i demand, I SAY I DEMAND that the i at the start of my username be removed, split in three and given to Paul, Timiano and myrlas

DO IT NOW OR FACE MY WRATH!

James B?
"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy."

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #430 on: January 28, 2010, 04:56:33 pm »

Offline GBF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The only religion with a God that you can touch!
« Reply #431 on: January 28, 2010, 04:59:04 pm »

with most of the software around are microsoft based and the collaboration feature on this beauty....I think this is the true start to paperless office....I WANT IT NOW!!!  (I hope Ctrl+Alt+Del button is added :P)
01111001 01101111 01110101 00100111 01101100 01101100 00100000 01101110 01100101 01110110 01100101 01110010 00100000 01110111 01100001 01101100 01101011 00100000 01100001 01101100 01101111 01101110 01100101

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Could be John Giles, or his agent.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #432 on: January 28, 2010, 05:07:13 pm »

So, it's a bigger Ipod Touch, which is all i was saying really. I just find it a boring and lazy "innovation".

Offline timiano

• Flatlander
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #433 on: January 28, 2010, 05:21:23 pm »
So, it's a bigger Ipod Touch, which is all i was saying really. I just find it a boring and lazy "innovation".

The innovation is in the software. You can't say the app store has been boring and lazy. The new device will allow more and different software for many things. It's just hardware yes, but it's an enabler.

It is awesome, but I'd be very surprised to see it out in the mass market in the next 18 months. Microsoft aren't very good at hardware, I know, I work with them everyday. Microsoft RoundTable (neat 360 video conferencing), couldn't handle it after 2-3 years of problems, outted it to Polycom (now CX 5000). Surface? Nice idea, where's the manufacturing and supply? There is none. Surface 2? Prototype. They can make a few good web cams and then they're behind in those stakes.

Xbox is the only thing they got right. There was a fucking huge market for it so they went for it, and still partly outsourced. If Apple stokes the market with the iPad, expect this thing to be 18 months behind. By then, if it's that cool, I'll gladly move back to a MSFT device for a tablet. I wouldn't hold my breath for Natal either.

If you want to see what MSFT are envisioning the future as, then look at this: http://www.istartedsomething.com/20090228/microsoft-office-labs-vision-2019-video/ 2nd video down (5 minute one). I was told by an exec at product in Redmond that 99% of the technology to do most of this exists today. Just it'll take a while to get around to it, due to manufacturing costs, product roadmaps and end user culture. They are relying heavily on the Generation Y/Millenials to come storming into the end of this decade and the beginning of the next.

Offline LOKKO

• Legacy Fan
  • what chu talkin' bout willis?
« Reply #434 on: January 28, 2010, 05:29:03 pm »

good that, there is also an archos running android coming out too

http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/01/27/archos-7-android-tablet-specs-leak-out/
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:30:38 pm by LOKKO »

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #435 on: January 28, 2010, 05:29:14 pm »

Wow. That's more like what I expected the iPad to be like.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UmIgNfp-MdI&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1&amp;hd=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UmIgNfp-MdI&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1&amp;hd=1</a>

Offline Mudface_

• Boys Pen
« Reply #436 on: January 28, 2010, 05:34:49 pm »
Xbox is the only thing they got right.

Aside from the 40% failure rate and the massive cost of replacing all the duds, of course...

Offline neel2108

• Legacy Fan
  • Long live the king.
« Reply #437 on: January 28, 2010, 05:35:51 pm »
Wow. That's more like what I expected the iPad to be like.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/UmIgNfp-MdI&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1&amp;hd=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/UmIgNfp-MdI&amp;hl=en_GB&amp;fs=1&amp;hd=1</a>

That looks fucking amazing. Pisses all over the ipad in a ridiculous way. If it works, I'll get one even if I don't need it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrryWFt7SII

-------------------------------------------------------------------
"With one swing of his gifted right boot Steven Gerrard says, Champions League, Knockout Stage, Here we come!!"

Just can't get enough...........

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #438 on: January 28, 2010, 05:44:09 pm »
The problem with that Microsoft thing and proper tablets like the Fujitsu lifebooks is simply price. The lifebooks are absolutely amazing that I've used. Perfect to detatch and use as a tablet or dock with the provided keyboard.

Apple have basically stripped it down to make if affordable and stuck their logo on it. Acer could do the same but it probably wouldn't sell even a third of what Apple can shift with its brand. I think it lacks core fundamentals to be truly useful to anyone. If it can't multitask, does that mean you couldn't VPN to work then open an RDP session to a terminal server? I can't believe that it's even sellable if that's how severely limited it is.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #439 on: January 28, 2010, 05:46:19 pm »

If it works, I'll get one even if I don't need it.

That is the core target apple go after. And I agree with you.

tim, how can the MS one be 18 months behind the apple one if (going by the video) it's far superior? Or do you simply mean it's lost that time to get it;s place in the market, ie like the Zune?